Dog Owners Beware! — Brooklynian

Dog Owners Beware!

edited September 2014 in Park Slope
Dogs are getting sick from the water in PP. 

Mine came down with some pretty bad diarrhea a few weeks ago (looks like she might be sick again) and I'm almost certain that it's from the water (her doggie daycare takes her there 3 days a week). 

Can we cross-post this? 

Comments

• Poor pup.  It's sucks to have sick dog. 

Supposedly they've hyped that up a bit more than it deserves (decent secret source on that), possibly because they get tired of people letting their dogs go off leash in it in areas they shouldn't be or fishing those areas. 

I go to the park every day with my pup. He and many of my friends' dogs go in the water regularly (some swim, some just for a drink) and none of ours has had any GI problems we can trace to it.  My dog does get some skin irritation from it (you can literally see the line of what depth he stands at on his legs) but not enough for me to keep him out when it's really hot.  

I'm not saying she didn't get it from the water, but it's not a given that going in will lead to that. The dog park, and especially some of those group walkers are akin to a kid in daycare--they are constantly exposed to germs from each other. It's easier for people to sneak a sick dog into care than a sick kid.  Also, a lot of viruses still shed for a while after the animal is well.  

You probably already know this, but bland diet is great for dogs with the runs.  Chicken without the skin, rice, sweet potato or pumpkin (mine hates pumpkin, some love it), and oats is my magic mix that stops the dog up.  Luckily I've not needed it in years, but when I did make it, I'd freeze a portion or two to have ready.

• Supposedly they've hyped that up a bit more than it deserves (decent secret source on that), possibly because they get tired of people letting their dogs go off leash in it in areas they shouldn't be or fishing those areas. 

Wondering about your secret source....
  • Oh, and I do realize there's no way to prove that it came from the water and that doggies pass around germs and such. But still, maybe one doggie got sick from the water and passed it to the other dogs? There's too many variables to know, admittedly, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

This discussion has been closed.