Helicopter Noise from airport commuters passing thru Crown Hts; East on Sterling, West on Prospect. — Brooklynian

Helicopter Noise from airport commuters passing thru Crown Hts; East on Sterling, West on Prospect.

Is anyone else getting tired of being woken up at 6am by the passing helicopter flying low on its way to dropoff or pick up a rich airport traveler? they sometimes fly all day every 10 minutes. If other hoods can fight this abuse (and get the flight path moved can we? Anyone know how we can approach this noise dumped on our neighborhood? I think they should fly along the river and not over residential areas ever but the rich cats want to get there faster that ever and obviously don't live here.

http://www.thebha.org/alerts/7a5ed73ff07f6f1dad32b79693f22b2e

Comments

• It appears that there are a very specific set of rules if you want to fly over certain parts of the East River.  I didn't read the whole thing, but the requirements seem a lot easier when not over that section.  https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/courses/content/79/776/NY Airspace Text Only R2 -072010.pdf
  • http://www.prospectparkquietskies.org/frequently-asked-questions.html

found this item of interest. Seems there is a missing environmental study as well as air pollution involved.
  • Looks like most of those links (except maybe the PPquietskies one) deal with people wanting to stop tourist helicopter traffic over the East and Hudson Rivers, while the flights over CH are definitely what the OP said: rich travelers headed to JFK. If you want to see the FAA-designated helicopter routes over the city, head to skyvector.com, zoom in on the NYC area, and click the NY Heli option at the top right. The route east/west from JFK over CH is designated the "Park" route. I'd imagine it would be nearly impossible to get them to change those, just like it'd be nearly impossible to change the approaches to LGA. The only other option to get to JFK would be to swing all the way around Brooklyn.

P.S. Hi, first post. Nerdiest first post ever.
    P.P.S. The tourist traffic around lower Manhattan/downtown Brooklyn is insane. On a recent trip to Governor's Island I could hardly believe how many helicopters were continually lined up for landing at the Wall St helipad. They were EVERYWHERE.

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.52.09 PM
  • Great info Z1010P!   But I don't accept your assumption of a commute to the airport as the equivalent  to an airline approach to the airport. There is no real need to travel "low" and noisy over neighborhoods just to save time. It is totally about the 1% getting what they want and they don't want to sit in traffic.
  • Folks, I hate to burst your bubble, but a great deal of the helicopter traffic over our neighborhood is 1) Law enforcement &/or military and 2) news copters. Yes, there are rich people helicoptering to JFK, but a lot of those people are going further east out to the east end of the island. As you can see on the map above they are coming across the park and then vectoring north to get to the track that goes further out east. Given the amount of traffic that makes that run, the odds of that park route being eliminated or moved further north is slim and none, and the amount of traffic that does want to get to the airport is such that we won't likely see that route being moved further south or otherwise modified (I'd suggest that it is highly unlikely that a new helicopter route will fly directly over the current mayor's PS home).
  • I was also under the impression 90% of the helicopters we hear are NYPD birds. The most disruptive ones seem to fly over late at night or very early in the AM. Yeah, it can be annoying when a helicopter hovers overhead for 10 minutes at 3 AM. However it's city noise and we live in a city. 
  • it is easy to spot the NYPD they are labeled. most are commuter flights passing through not hovering.  I say the squeaky wheel gets the grease and this flight path is not written in stone.
  • Its not just NYPD (although they use this route for accessing other parts of the city, not just hovering over the neighborhood). Its DHS, Secret Service, FBI, all of whom are active in NYC whenever the President, VP, their spouses, or certain dignitaries (like last week's UN session) are here. Its all of the traffic and weather helicopters from local television and radio stations. The current estimates are that there are about 600 helicopter flights out of NYC daily and that the vast majority of those are tours with the rest being commuters to NJ, LI and CT and the rest people taking flights to area airports (mostly JFK and smaller regional airports like Stewart and Atlantic City) Most of the helecopter traffic from NYC that the people downtown complain about is sightseeing traffic or wealthy commuters from CT and LI and not traffic going to the airport.
  • Ugh.. UN...  Why are they even in NYC? The UN should move to a compound in the suburbs where they won't inconvenience millions.  [end rant]
  • Folks, I hate to burst your bubble, but a great deal of the helicopter traffic over our neighborhood is 1) Law enforcement &/or military and 2) news copters. Yes, there are rich people helicoptering to JFK, but a lot of those people are going further east out to the east end of the island. As you can see on the map above they are coming across the park and then vectoring north to get to the track that goes further out east. Given the amount of traffic that makes that run, the odds of that park route being eliminated or moved further north is slim and none, and the amount of traffic that does want to get to the airport is such that we won't likely see that route being moved further south or otherwise modified (I'd suggest that it is highly unlikely that a new helicopter route will fly directly over the current mayor's PS home).
    “All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system,
    there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless,
    that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume.”

Noam Chomsky
  • edited October 2014

This could be worse.
  • Ugh.. UN...  Why are they even in NYC? The UN should move to a compound in the suburbs where they won't inconvenience millions.  [end rant]
    Then they'll just inconvenience the thousands who live in and around said suburb. Plus, the NIMBYism would probably prevent such a move in the first place. :) 
  • @dawndew, I see what you did there...

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/15761/inspirational-quotes-turn-nimby/

SharrowsDC @sharrowsdc
    "Some people see the world as it is and ask why. I see the world as it could be and ask where will they all park." — Robert F. Kennedy/George Bernard Shaw

J. T. E @jtedc
    "The only thing we have to fear is density itself." — Franklin D. Roosevelt

Emily @stayawaystars
    "Ask not what your community can do for you; ask what your community can not do for anyone else." — John F. Kennedy

City Beautiful 21 @citybeautiful21
    "Scuttle no small plans. They have no magic to stir single issue individuals into a group of people against everything." — Daniel Burnham
  • edited October 2014
    @mugofmead111 - I'm sure there is a location somewhere out there in middle of 'nowhere' next to some regional airport where the locals would be more than happy to gain the economic benefit of hosting the EU and would not consider it an inconvenience.  Think Camp David...
  • edited October 2014

@mugofmead111 - I'm sure there is a location somewhere out there in middle of 'nowhere' next to some regional airport where the locals would be more than happy to gain the economic benefit of hosting the EU and would not consider it an inconvenience.  Think Camp David...
    And have NYC give up that economic benefit? Why?
  • love your selected quotes Homeowner!
  • I live on Sterling and hardly notice the helicopters.  

Life in the city is noisy.  Get over it.
  • thanks for posting Eastbloc.

• I live on Sterling and hardly notice the helicopters.  

Life in the city is noisy.  Get over it.
    The helicopters I hear and see fly over are more likely from the NYPD. I live on an upper floor, so I have a good vantage point of them. I'm used to them by now.
  • use binoculars you'll not see NYPD on the side of most.
This discussion has been closed.