Taste Buds Is Done - Brooklynian

Taste Buds Is Done

Just walked by there yesterday. Store is dark. Space is gutted. Time for another reinvention of that space. Anyone got the scoop?

Comments

• I'm frankly not surprised, just a matter of time.

Tried it a couple of times and thought 'poor value'...small portion, overpriced, slowwwwww service, generic ambience. It didn't really differentiate itself in a meaningful way from the places cropping up all around it. Maybe it would have worked 5yrs ago.

• I've dusted off the thread that we created when it first opened.

Yes, we had a lot of concerns:

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/sandwich-shop-for-franklin?replies=43

• Same here - this did not surprised me. The food was decent at best, but the service downgraded the experience so badly... Twice I've been there, my order was ALWAYS messed up. Same goes for my gf. And this wasn't a month or two after the opening when a business is sorta given a "grace period" to get everything right, this was after 6-8 months of being open.

It was just not meant to be. Luckily Kevin knows how to re-invent himself pretty quickly so I'm excited to see what else will end up there.

• Chavelas needs to expand into that space

• I can't tell you how many mornings I walked buy at like 10am wanting to try a biscuit and they weren't open yet. Curious to see what Kevin starts there. Or maybe Chavela's will expand into that space for more seating.

• Maybe Kevin is just not good at running a business. The clothing store, candy shop and now sandwich shop are all gone. None were ever great when they were open. The sandwich shop was a joke and poorly stocked, you could get a better sandwich at the supermarket and the candy store was depressing at best. Maybe someone else can do something with the space.

• Ridonkulous, agreed that the hours were a big problem. They announced that they had breakfast and had lots of posters, but within a week seemed to have decided not to open early in the morning. That biscuit picture laughed at me everyday as I walked to the train..

• I had similar experiences with Candy Rush withholding donuts from me in the morning... :) Torture.

• The biscuits were awful anyway. Dry, dense and gummy. More like a bricklette than a proper biscuit.

• Brit Princess said:

Maybe Kevin is just not good at running a business. The clothing store, candy shop and now sandwich shop are all gone. None were ever great when they were open. The sandwich shop was a joke and poorly stocked, you could get a better sandwich at the supermarket and the candy store was depressing at best. Maybe someone else can do something with the space.

You may be under-estimating his success.

The clothing store was profitable for many years, then changed to a sandwich shop in an attempt to adapt to the neighborhood's change.

The candy store/ice cream place was profitable but then they decided to rent out the space when they realized that they could make as much (if not more) per month from merely leasing it.

I believe he owns both buildings, perhaps even outright. Hence, he has probably made more in appreciation than through labor. He can use the rental income to pay taxes, any loans on the property, and expenses related to them. Then, sell them.

Sounds like he has a solid overall plan, but didn't have success with Tastebuds. Such is life.

...I hope he closed it before losing much money.

• The clothing store was profitable when there was nothing else on Franklin. Him owning the candy store building is the only reason it stayed open as long as it did. It always seemed like a half assed attempt at a candy store, same thing with the sandwiches. Half assed may work when people have no other choices but it doesn't work at all when they do.

• While I liked the Candy Store, I'll agree that Franklin is a different environment than it once was.

The level of competition is much more fierce, and will just continue to increase as 1000 Dean and other venues open.

The stores that are opening now opening on Franklin are run by established businesses, many with other locations. This was his first attempt at food. It is cut throat.

I totally agree with you on this comment:

Half assed may work when people have no other choices but it doesn't work at all when they do.

That is why you see nasty, overpriced grocery stores (i.e. Fine Fare) near NYCHA. It is a combination of them being the only game in town, and very little profit to be made in light of the means of the local customer base.

...Franklin Ave is not NYCHA-land. There is money to be made, and if you don't offer an in demand product for a good price, you will go under very quickly.

• EXACTLY! This is why I think he should stick to being a landlord if he does indeed own the building.

• Yep. He owns both buildings.

• If he can tolerate the occasional vacancy (I'm thinking Cool Pony is not long for this world), then he could probably rent out both sites.

And, might even have enough time to re-enter the work force full time.

• Watching the evolution of that space has been fun over the years. Tattoo place, beauty parlor, candy store, thriftapalooza...

• "thriftapalooza"

hah! very appropriate term. i felt like i was too old for the neighborhood because i just didn't "get it". but it seems nobody else does either since i rarely see a soul in that place. i hate when people automatically yell "trust fund hipster", but i really wonder about this one. how do you pay the lease on what seems like an unclear business model or planning? really feels like someone has money to have a hobby during the day.

• We discussed Cool Pony on this thread for a little while, then it got locked:

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/the-candy-store-opening-soon-on-franklin-sterling/page/2

I do wonder how long of a lease they signed.

• We loved the biscuits, but only managed to get them maybe three times due to the erratic hours.

You stop thinking about a place as a serious option if you're constantly disappointed by it being closed.

• Despite living closer to Tastebuds than City Sub, I went to City Sub more often over the last year.

• Epiclylaterd said:

Chavelas needs to expand into that space

Ridonkulus and Epicly, it is you likely have foretold the future!

I reached out to a few people today and was able to learn that conversations are indeed occurring between Kevin and Arturo about Chavella's expanding into that space.

....documents have reportedly not been signed, but hopefully will be soon.

• Yes! I've been saying it for a long time. Chavela's is maxed out at all hours, brunch, lunch, and dinner. There's been plenty of times when we've gone only to be told it's an hour wait and we head to another place on Franklin. I either thought a second location or expansion into Tastebuds would be next. Glad to hear it and hope it all works out

• On that note, what's happening with the old Chavel(l)a's space? Thought they were supposed to do something with it. The space is now a trash-filled eyesore.

• photo: Citysearch

photo: PH Patch

As a result of being a single story building, it would not surprise me if 732 Classon was eventually torn down to build condos.

• didn't get a pic, but the entire chavella's building is surrounded by scaffolding today?

• They were repointing the brick this week.

• Is the old Chavela's a freestanding building or merely an extension off the back of the bodega building? It looks like the latter:

http://www.propertyshark.com/mason/Property/149363/736-Classon-Ave-Brooklyn-NY-11238/

Whatever it is, I would appreciate a new business there, living right down the block.

• It would not surprise me if realtors were able to bundle the lot together with the vacant lot beside the skate board and flower shop on Park Place

Zoom in to see what I am thinking...

<small>View Larger Map</small>

• Chavelas needs to expand into that space

Maybe I missed it on another more recent thread here, but Chavela's is expanding into the space. Build-out looks pretty far along and looks pretty cool.
  • This is now open. It's quite nice.