Public Transportation - Brooklynian

Public Transportation

edited November 2014 in Brooklyn Politics
We have a discussion on Vision Zero and a breakaway on tolls.  Public transportation is relevant to both.

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Over the weekend, I read the following article about methods used to get more people to use public transportation, primarily by lowering rates.  This should be popular on Brooklynian...

Thoughts?

I, personally, commute daily using public transportation so I'm all for lowering rates; however, not so much the idea of more people elbowing me.
  • edited November 2014
    Use jitneys on low-rider routes, erect shady coverings over the bus stop seats, clean those frigging subway routes with concentrated bleach, while eliminating the rats, and add more frequency during rush hour. I'll be very happy if they do all of this and keep fares as is. Lowering it would be a great perk though.
  • edited November 2014
    One can rarely ask for more service or amenities while keeping price constant.

It is even rarer that one gets more service or amenities while lowering prices.

• New York is unusual in both the scope and the reach of its transportation system. The system has always run close to capacity on most lines, and with many of the demographic changes in the last ten years, even those historically less utilized lines are now at or close to capacity. One of the big concerns in NYC is that most people do not realize that their fare does not cover the actual cost of their trip.
  • edited November 2014
    Few people realize that.

Instead, they fall prey to journalistic outlets like The Post, which claim there is a surplus.

A better account of the revenue sources can be obtained thru documents like this:

http://web.mta.info/mta/budget/pdf/Adopted_Budget_Feb_Financial_Plan2013-16.pdf
  • edited January 2015
    I bumped in to this today...  Underrated Transit Projects -https://pedestrianobservations.wordpress.com/2014/05/04/underrated-transit-projects/

The first one listed is the Utica Avenue Subway line, and the writer argues that it would be quite useful.  In another thread, @ehgee provided the following links:

The writer also discusses the Triboro RX (http://frumin.net/ation/2007/06/le_triboro_rx.html) and Nostrand Avenue Subway lines which seem like wonderful ideas as well.

But I'm leaning towards not in my lifetime for any of this... as seemed to be the consensus when the Utica line came up last.
  • edited January 2015
    It is sounding as if we will get a Air Train to LaGuardia before a Utica subway:

http://observer.com/2015/01/andrew-cuomo-wants-to-build-a-train-to-laguardia-airport/

In the distant future, I expect much of Utica to get SBS lines.

However, first, the MTA will have to improve the existing SBS lines and we will need demographics that are powerful enough to demand the service.

I.E. The demographics must be willing to eliminate cars in a lane along the route in exchange for limited stop bus service.
  • Utica Ave SBS is in the pre-planning stages. Initial conversations with the community and elected officials began last fall. Rollout in 2016 is anticipated.

MTA/NYCT came to the last CB8 Transportation committee meeting to discuss, but only 3 people showed...maybe because it was held on Classon Ave?
  • Don't worry, once it is becoming a reality, people will show up.

They will state they were never asked whether they wanted it.
  • too true, too true
  • The ones who don't come to the realization until a lane is painted brown are my favorite.

...they are immune to all other sources of media.
  • edited January 2015
    It is sounding as if we will get a Air Train to LaGuardia before a Utica subway:

http://observer.com/2015/01/andrew-cuomo-wants-to-build-a-train-to-laguardia-airport/  

This seems like it will connect with Astoria/Ditmars Blvd.  He said it will run 1.5 miles, and that is that seems like the only logical place. 

Just read it in full and it seems that they will connect to the "7 line and Long Island Rail Road at Willets Point."  I think I would have liked the N and Q at Astoria/Ditmars Blvd. better.
  • There's a bus lane painted brown on Utica already. Goes as far as Eastern Pkwy. Problem is most of the time it's occupied by the dollar vans who I guess feel they're entitled to use it. Would love to see some enforcement action on those guys because they're taking quite a bit of money out of the MTA's coffers.

• TriboroughRx doesn't work because in order to do it you have to displace most of the existing freight rail east of Hudson. You can't run both freight and subway passenger on the same line as they have two different sets of governing regulations (freight is governed by Federal Rail regulations) and two different requirements for tracks and equipment. LIRR and Metro North currently are FRA governed and compatible with freight, MTA subway operations are not. 

When you consider that every rail car takes something like 1.6 53-ft trucks off the road, and each freight train may have 20-30 rail cars you're looking at adding a lot more trucks to NYC streets. Considering the PA is investing money in expanding freight rail, the TriboroughRX probably isn't going to happen. Utica Subway or the Nostrand extensions would be game changers for Brooklyn as it would make the northeastern part of the borough open to the kinds of development and gentrification we're seeing in the rest of the borough.
  • edited January 2015
    ...Which might create enough tax revenue in the short term to actually pay for the projects.

The soon-to-open 7 line extension to 34th St was built using the projected increased revenues for land on the Westside, and is looking like it might be paid off quickly.
  • I don't think the southern part of Nostrand need to be gentrified. The side streets are mostly one and two family homes which are not going to be razed to make big apartments and many of them are owned by the Hasidim who seemed to have made the Midwood section as much their enclave as much of Crown Heights is. And I doubt that those people will be looking for new bars to open. As for extending the subway for other reasons, well that might be useful as many people live too far away from the junction or the BMT along East 16th to want to walk to either.
  • edited January 2015
    Subways are very expensive. The future will be SBS, which are far cheaper and easier to built.

In NYC, they have only been able to dedicate lanes for buses.

In the future, NYC will create "bus ways" which do not allow cars at all. Several cities use them already.
  • @pragmaticguy, I don't think any part of Brooklyn NEEDS to be gentrified. Having said that, I recognize that current gentrification patterns follow along existing transit lines moving from the city outward. Any new subway lines would open up the Brooklyn College area north of Flatbush to the same gentrification that has affected the southwest part of Brooklyn. Some enterprising developer will find a lot, get a zoning variance and toss up a finger building in a heartbeat while advertising the close proximity to the subway and the great ocean views. Its the unfortunate reality of NYC living today.
  • @Homeowner--They've done all that in Sheepshead Bay for the last 7 or 8 years and there's already lots of apartment buildings on Nostrand so there's not much that would be changed. I guess there's really no need to extend the IRT any further than it is because what you stated about being close to the trains (BMT) and the great ocean views (or Bay in this case) has already been said.