roller skate/ blade paths in Brooklyn - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

roller skate/ blade paths in Brooklyn

Hi everyone.

In my effort to be a a wee bit less of my usual
Ms Piggy/psycho-ologist self, I have taken up rollerskating.

I never realized how inhospitable city roads are: (pot holes, broken glass, debris, hills that are treacherous for skaters and professional cyclists bent on running me over and proving that the bike lanes are not meant for roller skaters or neophyte cyclists)

So where can a non athlete junkie find a smooth continuous, level surface where they may rollerskate at their own pace in Brooklyn?

The only place I have found is in Manhattan by the west side highway. Smooth, sweet and lovely if you go when the mad cyclists aren't there.

Comments

• The path under the Verrazano has lots of rollerbladers. It goes along the water.
  • edited April 2015
    I'd recommend sidewalks to the Prospect Park walking lane. I run that lane 3-6 days a week and never found it to treacherous. Could you get to the Eastern Parkway pedestrian plaza from where you are?
  • The path under the Verrazano has lots of rollerbladers. It goes along the water.
    Thanks. WhyNot

Some stretches of that area are wonderful. I've been there, but shortly east of the bridge the road is riddled with broken asphalt

• edited April 2015
    I'd recommend sidewalks to the Prospect Park walking lane. I run that lane 3-6 days a week and never found it to treacherous. Could you get to the Eastern Parkway pedestrian plaza from where you are?
    I am somewhere in sunset park/boro park. But i will travel to any good skate spot.
    I will try this out thanks
  • Brooklyn Bridge Park and the attached Greenway has yet to be beset with the freeze/thaw pavement issues that other parts of the city see annually. You probably have 1-2 more summers of smooth pavement before you can cross it off the list.
  • Brooklyn Bridge Park and the attached Greenway has yet to be beset with the freeze/thaw pavement issues that other parts of the city see annually. You probably have 1-2 more summers of smooth pavement before you can cross it off the list.

haha! SPOT ON

The gravel does make for slower and not as smooth skating, so far I love the basketball courts when they are empty (pier 2) as its all asphalt and really smooth, however that is for weekday morning on your day off skating.

The roller rink there is a horrendous mess of over entitled and ill behaved children.

• I sympathize. If you find something let us know. I want to get my blades out again
  • edited April 2015
    Isnt there an outdoor skate park/rink at Ft.Hamilton and like 50something.  I used to watch my nephew play hockey in that park.

• Now that the Coney Island boardwalk is made of pavement, is it smooth enough to skate on?

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/city-moves-convert-coney-island-boardwalk-concrete-article-1.2058707
  • Bikes are prohibited on the boardwalk. I suspect that blades probably are also prohibited, due to the higher speeds of skaters versus the crowds of slow-mpving pedestrians.
  • edited April 2015
    hmmm.

How about the long, protected bike path that I use to bike to Coney Island?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Parkway_(Brooklyn)

Is it smooth enough to skate on?

...or is it made from those pavement tiles? I don't see many skaters along the Eastern Parkway paths, and suspect it is because the pavement tiles used to create it make it too bumpy.
  • Isnt there an outdoor skate park/rink at Ft.Hamilton and like 50something.  I used to watch my nephew play hockey in that park.
    Oh my, someone loves you!!!!
    THANKS SO MUCH
    I will check it out this weekend
  • hmmm.

...or is it made from those pavement tiles? I don't see many skaters along the Eastern Parkway paths, and suspect it is because the pavement tiles used to create it make it too bumpy.
    Ive never been, but I am on a mission to find acceptable skate spots. I will look into EP.

I was in prospect park, but literally scraped off the first layer of my behind, and injured my arm when I went tumbling down a hill at full speed and hit a tiny branch and went skidding. No more downhill skating for me.
    It's those bumpy, gravely poorly cleaned places that are just accident makers.
  • I sympathize. If you find something let us know. I want to get my blades out again
    West side highway. Canal street pier and walk way. I have been going every weekend and have nothing but good things to say, even for novice skaters its great. The bike lane is smooth and well taken care of too. Not a shred of broken glass or pavement to be found
  • edited April 2015
    "I was in prospect park, but literally scraped off the first layer of my
    behind, and injured my arm when I went tumbling down a hill at full
    speed and hit a tiny branch and went skidding. No more downhill
    skating for me. It's those bumpy, gravely poorly cleaned places that are just accident makers."

I agree.

I also concur that losing weight by literally losing blood and skin seems too hasty. What you lose doesn't weigh much.
  • hmmm.

Ive never been, but I am on a mission to find acceptable skate spots. I will look into EP.

I was in prospect park, but literally scraped off the first layer of my behind, and injured my arm when I went tumbling down a hill at full speed and hit a tiny branch and went skidding. No more downhill skating for me.
    It's those bumpy, gravely poorly cleaned places that are just accident makers.
    Oh dear! I'm sorry I suggested it! 
  • Bikes are prohibited on the boardwalk. I suspect that blades probably are also prohibited, due to the higher speeds of skaters versus the crowds of slow-mpving pedestrians.
    Bikes are prohibited on the boardwalk after 10AM, though that doesn't seem terribly well-enforced.