Crime in Prospect Heights and other "safe" areas - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crime in Prospect Heights and other "safe" areas

I've noticed some disturbing trends walking around the neighborhood. Specifically, when walking down Carlton Avenue to catch the B/Q or down Dean between Vanderbilt and Carlton (or any number of blocks in the area) at night, I have noticed several youths on bikes and on foot going car to car trying to find unlocked doors/cars to break into. I had to call the police on one such group a couple of months ago (when I was on the other block and out of sight), but the the perps were long gone before the police showed up. Otherwise, these individuals (some of them followed me and another walker on the otherwise side of the street last week for a block or two) are very unsettling. Note, during the time of night that I see such activities (normally between 10pm-1am), homeowners are typically inside and there is little foot traffic on the streets where this occurs, which is one reason why the people are so emboldened. And, especially along Carlton and some side streets, there isn't such great lighting; the NYPD did confirm that there was a problem with car break-ins in the area when I was riding around with them trying to locate the perps I saw months ago.

Has anyone else noticed or, worse, experienced the crime that is going on? 

I'm trying to figure out how prevalent this is (from other members of the community's viewpoint) before going to the precinct council meeting to complain. 

Comments

• are you sure you have dean b/w vanderbilt and carlton correct? this block has no car parking due to the construction of pacific park.
  • I've had my change drawer in my car raided on occasion when I've left the car unlocked.  If that's the extent of this crime spree, then I will continue to sleep soundly.  

Kids will be kids.
  • are you sure you have dean b/w vanderbilt and carlton correct? this block has no car parking due to the construction of pacific park.
    Yes, but I should've been clearer that the Dean between Vanderbilt and Carlton occurred a couple of weeks before they placed those construction walls up and closed the street to parking. The Carlton Avenue incident (walking to the Q/B train was more recent). 
  • I've had my change drawer in my car raided on occasion when I've left the car unlocked.  If that's the extent of this crime spree, then I will continue to sleep soundly.  

Kids will be kids.
    Fair enough. I, however, don't view breaking into cars and taking things that aren't yours a sign of kids being kids.