This site == Crown Heights and almost nothing else - Brooklynian

This site == Crown Heights and almost nothing else

Hi,

I'm new here, and I was curious:   are most readers/writers/commenters of this site residents of Crown Heights and Prospect Heights?  I really wish there were more articles, questions and comments about other parts of Brooklyn.  The Crown Heights discussions, rumors, new openings, etc. are quite interesting, but it seems like there isn't much else.

Is there anything that can be done to post rumors, comments, discussions, photos, etc. about other neighborhoods?  There's a lot of potential, but it feels like it's just not covered.

-B
Tagged:

Comments

• You would need to attract posters from those areas.   

The present array of posters has come largely thru word of mouth, some spamming, and a business card littering campaign.

Business Card-1
  • MODMOD
    edited May 2015
    The activity of each board is driven by the amount of members from that area and how much they post. It's member-driven content as opposed to a blog. For instance, Whynot is a long time member and he posts about the area he is most involved in (he even created those cards posted above.) Back when a lot of our members came from Park Slope -that was the most active board. Then later, P.Heights became the most active and now CH is the most active. As you might guess, board activity correlates with nabe gentrification. There is just more to talk about in neighborhoods undergoing change and more young, web-savvy, social people in those areas that want to talk online.

Yes, word of mouth helps. We need more members to have more conversations.
  • That's interesting.  I suspected it was all the members driving the content.  It's good that it is, but a challenge in its own way.  I'm actually moving to the Bed Stuy / Bushwick border zone so I'll see what I can do there (the cards above are clever).   I might be more of a renter's world, so less of the type of curiosity that you get here, but it's worth a shot.  

Is there anyone else in Bushwick or Bed stuy on this board?
  • As MOD alludes, an area with a lot of young and new people is prime.

Many of them can no longer afford the areas I post about (ie the areas I walk my dog).

At the moment, I see a lot of them in PLG.

My dog and I discussed walking there, but ultimately decided to not change our routine.
  • HA! I am in Sunset Park/Boro park.

I actually find this board quite helpful as many of these folks travel to other parts of brooklyn, have lived in parts of brooklyn or have similar issues that face most Brooklynians.
  • ..... My dog and I discussed walking there, but ultimately decided to not change our routine.
    Ha! Thats how I feel about my nab.

• I lived in crown heights for years and then was priced out to flatbush/Ditmas park. That said, it gets boring to post to no answers or to just recite what had been said in a different blog elsewhere. There needs to be a critical mass to keep conversations going.
  • i need to get around to printing some cards for flatbush but alas, i have no dog to walk
  • Hi,

I'm new here, and I was curious:   are most readers/writers/commenters of this site residents of Crown Heights and Prospect Heights?  I really wish there were more articles, questions and comments about other parts of Brooklyn.  The Crown Heights discussions, rumors, new openings, etc. are quite interesting, but it seems like there isn't much else.

Is there anything that can be done to post rumors, comments, discussions, photos, etc. about other neighborhoods?  There's a lot of potential, but it feels like it's just not covered.

-B
    To be fair, the discussions are not just Prospect Heights or Crown Heights-centric; PLG happenings (e.g. 626 Flatbush) drive a lot of the discussions too. 

I live near the border between the two neighborhoods, so I'm loving it. Yet, I'd like to see people from other areas (e.g. Bushwick, Bay Ridge) post on here too. 
  • edited May 2015
    You people can obsess all you want about your neighborhood names, zip codes and Community Board boundaries.

My dog and I define "our" neighborhood by how far we usually walk from home. If you live too far away, you are spared from my commentary and his pee.
  • I'm not a huge fan of dogs, but I'm a fan of beer, and I'll be happy to mention and advertise the site when I talk to people at the places that sell it while I'm drinking it.

Has anyone thought of dropping comments on Brownstoner advertising the site?  There are always people asking about whether a place closed down, what's about to open over here, what's going on over there.  Lots of permanent, interested people in a few different neighborhoods.
  • edited May 2015
    Brownstoner is pretty good about citing Brooklynian when they use us as a source for their stories.

It has a core group of about 50 commenters, they all know about Brooklynian.   

When I see them talking about something we have already discussed, I usually put a link to the relevant Brooklynian thread in their comment section. 
    ...because even though their commenters all know of us, some of their readers don't know we exist.

• edited May 2015
    I know I post about Sunset Park stuff. Maybe I will make cards and drop them in the diner 39th and 5th and the one decent bar on 39th (The Spot) its called
  • Bulletin boards at laundromats are effective.    Mentioning Brooklynian on local Facebook Parent groups also seems to work.