IHOP on Church Ave - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IHOP on Church Ave

The flatbush board feels a little dead to me, so for all of those south-of-the-park line people (i'd like to think they're lurkers, like me) I figured i'd start a conversation vaguely interesting: the soon-to-open IHOP on Church Ave! (between Bedford and Flatbush, across the post office).

I wish i knew when it would be opening. So far the neighbors in the building (including a Retro Fitness) seem on the verge of opening for business. I can't find any info online about the IHOP. Not that it's particularly glamorous, but I'd be pleased to have 24 hour pancakes a few blocks away. 

thoughts?

Comments

• Dear Supple,

Agreed!

I'd rather it were a Mom 'n' Pop pancake house.  But if it has to be IHOP, so be it.

24/7 pancakes are always welcome.

Russell

• I wonder if it'll be 24 hours. None of the existing Brooklyn locations are, except on the weekends: http://www.ihop.com/ihop-locations?location=11203
  • Excited for sure. No good diners to close by so I guess this is my next best option.
  • 24 hours on the weekends sounds cool--even if it stayed open until, say, 10 or 11pm on weekdays, that would be far and away better than a lot of places around there!
  • I have not commented on Brooklynian in nearly 5 years because I moved from Prospect Heights to DC. But now I'm back, living in Flatbush, and excited about the IHOP in walking distance! Bring on the joyous calories!
  • edited February 2015
    Welcome back.

IHOP is taking over the building that used to be Veggie Castle, right?

• That fills me with sads, I miss Veggie Castle. 

So what can I do to help the Flatbush board become more lively? This is so much quieter than the boards I used to frequent, Crown Heights & Prospect Heights. 

Maybe I'll just pretend I live in PLG--I'm only a few blocks south of the border. Do people on the PH board still have semi-regular border arguments, or did people give up on that a long time ago?

Time to consult the Encyclopedia of New York!
  • edited February 2015
    One reasons the CH board remains lively is my relentless littering campaign.   I periodically give Vistaprint about $30 to print up business cards, they give me around 2000 cards to leave at select locations throughout Crown Heights.

The PH/CH border war seems to have subsided now that both sides of Washington Ave have similar amenities.

...but those were some really funny arguments.
  • edited February 2015
    The cards you printed up would say something like "We are talking about Flatbush and PLG"

Business Card-1
  • good idea! I feel like the discussion about PLG is a little slow, and Flatbush almost nonexistant. Maybe i'll print some cards
  • I'll talk about Flatbush!!!
  • Me too! Especially with all the new permits recently filed in the area, according to YIMBY.

Hi everyone. Like suppleknuckles presumed, I'm a fellow Flatbush resident who has been lurking on this site for quite some time now. This is actually my first post -- I hope to start engaging with all you great guys and gals more often.
  • R.I.P. Veggie Castle.  Loved that place.  I'm glad something is going in there though.  They closed Veggie Castle (which was in an old White Castle) over five years ago and then that lot just sat there.  It's good that they're finally doing something with the space.  The irony is that Veggie Castle would have only become more and more popular had they remained there, given the increased demand for vegetarian and vegan fare across the borough.
  • Me too! Especially with all the new permits recently filed in the area, according to YIMBY.

Hi everyone. Like suppleknuckles presumed, I'm a fellow Flatbush resident who has been lurking on this site for quite some time now. This is actually my first post -- I hope to start engaging with all you great guys and gals more often.
    hooray! please feel free to start threads about said permits--i've been following them all. I'll talk about the empty underutilized lots in this part of flatbush all day long

which brings me back to the building this IHOP is in. while it's no feat of architectural brilliance, it certainly is one of the less-ugly new commercial buildings i've seen, which sure beats an empty garbage strewn lot. and it brings some much needed revitalization to the block, which is still suffering from the literally crumbling old building on the corner of bedford......

and just generally speaking, last saturday i was at the Kings Theater open house, and after leaving we wished we could find a place very close by at which to sit and drink coffee and talk about the pictures we took. the tiny Dunkin Donuts on Tilden was packed and the coffee shops on Cortelyou seemed too out of our way since we live east of flatbush ave. it seems this area of flatbush has a mighty need for such places and honestly even an ihop would have sufficed so a love of sugary pancakes is not required i think.
  • @McPoet....the Veggie Castle was in a Burger King that closed. The guy who owned the Burger King used to work for Citibank back in the 80s when I did. Long story but the rumor was he embezzled enough dough to open the Burger King. He was even interviewed in the NYT as a young, black entrepreneur while it was being built.
  • edited February 2015
    I wonder if the former owner of this Veggie Castle has anything to do with Veggie Castle II, in Richmond Hill.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/veggie-castle-ii-south-richmond-hill
  • Yeah, I believe the same owner owns both.  My understanding was they closed the Brooklyn location after the rent got jacked up....much to my chagrin. :-(

hooray! please feel free to start threads about said permits--i've been following them all. I'll talk about the empty underutilized lots in this part of flatbush all day long

which brings me back to the building this IHOP is in. while it's no feat of architectural brilliance, it certainly is one of the less-ugly new commercial buildings i've seen, which sure beats an empty garbage strewn lot. and it brings some much needed revitalization to the block, which is still suffering from the literally crumbling old building on the corner of bedford......

and just generally speaking, last saturday i was at the Kings Theater open house, and after leaving we wished we could find a place very close by at which to sit and drink coffee and talk about the pictures we took. the tiny Dunkin Donuts on Tilden was packed and the coffee shops on Cortelyou seemed too out of our way since we live east of flatbush ave. it seems this area of flatbush has a mighty need for such places and honestly even an ihop would have sufficed so a love of sugary pancakes is not required i think.
    Same thing happened to us. A Quathra or Milk & Honey would be awesome on Flatbush in that area. Lots of empty storefronts. Also as I waited in line I envisioned a small coffee shop and wine bar space next to Delroy's.
  • Anyone know any updates regarding the Ihop?
  • Trini Gul on Nostrand moved out to Richmond Hill too.
  • Friend told me that the IHOP is open today! Hours say open until midnight on weekdays and 24 hours on weekends. this is going to come in handy on those brutal 12-hour days at the office
  • seems to be doing good business; looks like any other ihop inside:

Photo Apr 16, 10 29 57 AM
    Photo Apr 16, 10 30 05 AM
  • Oh wow, this is great! Thanks for the pictures.
  • The pictures look great r u still hiring?
  • My mom took our daughter for breakfast the other day.  She had a good time and said everyone was nice but that service was slooooooooow.  Oh well.  Still glad to have a place open at 7am for breakfast!
  • Do you know if this location has grab-and-go iced coffee, or only sit down?
  • You can place orders to go.  It will still take a while.  I suggest calling ahead.