Adelphi Hall aka 201 Eastern Parkway gets a makeover - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adelphi Hall aka 201 Eastern Parkway gets a makeover

Landscaping in PROGRESS:
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 7.27.46 PM 
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 7.28.00 PM
Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 7.28.10 PM

It's nice to see that money is being invested in 201 Eastern Parkway/ Washington.  It's a huge building with a rather cool lobby.  They seem to be going for landscaping after having painted the "tudor" siding in the fall and clearing out the entire front yards. I always wondered why this grand building seem to be languishing.  This will look great in Spring!  Newly renovated 1 bedroom units have been going for $2500/month.

LOBBY:

Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 7.37.43 PM

BEFORE:
before 7.20.50 PM

Comments

• edited April 2015
    It is a huge improvement. Do you know if the first floor residents are ready to part with the bars on their windows? It would be a brave step, but one that other buildings have already taken.
  • It breaks my heart to see the kind of renovations they are doing.
  • To clarify, not the outside renovations but the interior ones. Very generic and wrong for the period.
  • I agree Schmu,  I never understand why renovations have to be so extreme in these cases.  The new finishes will be inferior in quality to what was there originally, assuming it was repairable or salvagable, which most likely it was (solid wood doors - Parquet floors).  

I really like what they're doing to the exterior though.  I just hope they keep the Lobby and common areas exactly how they are.  

I live on Lincoln Place and it's been interesting over the last couple of years to see the small steps buildings have taken to be less utilitarian/protective.  In the last few months I've seen a few buildings replace the "unbreakable" institutional floodlights with traditional glass/metal fixtures and one building removed the cinder blocks from the basement level and replaced them with a window.
  • They killed the blackberry tree. :( 

I don't care what they do now. 
  • Here's a before shot:
    https://goo.gl/maps/UCCPF

I like that they got rid of the brick wall behind the iron fence.     Now, we can all see the lawn.

• They may have cut too many roots during this landscaping project.

Today, the tree feel over in winds that were not very severe.

The first winds since the project.

• I suspect they cut the roots when they dug up the foundation of the brick wall - it was growing right next to the wall they demolished. Also the heavy rains Sunday night probably loosened whatever remaining toehold the tree had with the ground.

NYC Parks was out cutting it up this morning (I guess it was technically a street tree?). The corner looks pretty barren without it. I wonder if Adelphi is on the hook to replace it?

FullSizeRender
  • Adelphi has already planted trees they didn't have to plant.

But, yea, that corner looks barren now.
  • This sucks. I've enjoyed that mulberry tree and it's sidewalk staining berries for the past 10 years. It had become a sort of welcome sign on that corner.
  • we used to stop at the corner and nibble on the mulberries.  bummer.
  • Finally the side entrance is getting its bricks stripped of paint. So happy to see the building cared for.
  • edited June 2015
         IMG_2601   

Reminder of "Before":  https://goo.gl/maps/188S3

I wonder if they will beautify the back of the building facing Lincoln Place too...