Destruction and construction coming to 735 Bergen (Underhill and Washington) — Brooklynian

Destruction and construction coming to 735 Bergen (Underhill and Washington)

edited December 2014 in Prospect Heights

photo: Brownstoner

The Department of Buildings just issued a demolition permit for the rundown brick building at 735 Bergen Street, right off Washington Avenue, and a new build will go in its place. The developers have a pending application for a 6-story, ten-unit development for 735-737 Bergen. (These plans don’t encompass the empty lot next door, where developers filed plans for a five-story building way back in 2008.) The lot in question is pretty deep — 126.58 feet, according to PropertyShark. Caliendo Architects are listed on the DOB permit as the architects of record. They haven’t yet returned a request for more details.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/05/demo-then-six-story-build-planned-for-bergen-street/#disqus_thread

Comments

• Demolition got underway this week...looks like its coming down the old-fashioned way:

This morning we spotted two workers on a scaffold that appeared to be taking it apart by hand, brick-by-brick.

Attached files image
  • This area sounds as if it will built up as residential by 2015.

Every vacant lot and parking lot seems to have a residential building in its future.

• Whoever is building this does not pay attention to the homes around it. I cannot tell you how many times I caught them trying to cut down a tree in my yard or to cut the cable/phone lines to my building and others.

• Stacey-

Because no one knows how long the present boom is going to last, I have heard that contractors are under lots of pressure to get buildings to market quickly.

In addition to rude and careless behavior (like those you report), it would not surprise me if we began to see corners being cut on other fronts:

-Shoddy work

-Unsafe worksites that result in needless injuries and deaths.

• whynot_31 said:

In addition to rude and careless behavior (like those you report), it would not surprise me if we began to see corners being cut on other fronts:

-Shoddy work

-Unsafe worksites that result in needless injuries and deaths.

This is my main concern. Also the yards that are abutting them are very narrow so if anything on the back wall falls it will definitely damage property not just fall into a backyard.

• That's actually pretty cool looking, so long as the materials aren't crap.

One thing I never understand about new construction is why the first floor isn't built up half a story, as it is on many older buildings. When the first floor is built exactly at street level, the residents seem like they have to have their shades permanently drawn so people walking down the street aren't staring straight into their living room.
  • Builders often want to maximize square footage, while adhering to height limits.
  • Ehgee: all new construction must comply with ADA standards. The building has to be wheelchair accessible, so a ground level lobby is required. If the first floor were a half-story above the street, it would be challenging to make it comply with ADA.
  • edited December 2014
    I walked by this site over the weekend, and guess that it will be ready for occupancy in April 2015.

• edited May 2015
    I was hoping that the construction included the old, out of commission church right next door at corner of Bergen and Washington, but apparently not. Although, from reading the Brownstoner article from a while back, that may be next? Trying to post some pictures I just took, but my connection is terrible at the moment!
  • Here they are:

• Completed units now for sale:

Available units priced between $589,000 and $1.3 million

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/07/23/angular_prospect_heights_building_launches_sales_from_580k.php#more
This discussion has been closed.