Hey, anyone remember me? NYC defeated me. - Brooklynian

Hey, anyone remember me? NYC defeated me.

CTK
edited August 2015 in The Lounge / Random Stuff
Been a long long time but I was curious about the goings on here. Is MHA still around?

Long story short, after 3 years in our UES apartment, my wife and I decided to call it quits.... with NYC. We quit our jobs, threw all our stuff in a U Haul truck and drove down to NC. Turned out to be the best decision I've ever made/agreed to... we are making more $$$, we just bought a house, and our quality of life is so much better. I'm headed up to NYC at the end of October for a visit so I just remembered this place.... how are folks holding up? What are folks seeing as the future of NYC for normal people?

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Hey @CTK -
    Parts of NYC are rapidly becoming mostly occupied by either the fortunate young or the fortunate old. However, it is far from being exclusively for "them".

Good for you making a courageous move. In the event that the Ms. and I perceive better opportunities elsewhere, we will move too.

...but there are becoming a lot of people in NYC in situations where they have concluded their best move is not to leave, but to double up with friends; Many "fortunate" 27 year olds are renting rooms in renovated apartments in Crown Heights for $1200
  • how are folks holding up? What are folks seeing as the future of NYC for normal people?
    Define "normal people". :) 
  • CTK, re your questions, "how are folks holding up? What are folks seeing as the future of NYC for normal people?"

I think a lot of people who've rented for years are growing more and more dissatisfied with life in Brooklyn, at least that's how I feel and what I hear from many people when I mention that I'm deciding whether to stay or go in the next couple of months after being here for 20 years.  It's getting MUCH more expensive to live here, and the population density is really increasing in certain areas, especially within a 2-mile or so radius of Barclays.  But I think people who bought houses or apartments many years ago (before the run-up in prices up to 2007 or so) are probably feeling pretty content and lucky.  

There are a lot of 20- and 30-something newbies who are absolutely thrilled to be here, living with 2-3 other people in an apt, paying anywhere from $700 for a room in an apt with 3 or 4 others to $1800 or more for a room in Ft Greene with 1 roommate.  Just have to do a search on craigslist to observe this.  

Brooklyn is still a nice place to live, but I think it's dawning on more people that one can have a higher-quality life in a smaller metropolitan area where there are interesting things to do (Twin Cities, Austin, Raleigh/Durham area, etc), for less money. 
  • Brooklyn is still a nice place to live, but I think it's dawning on more people that one can have a higher-quality life in a smaller metropolitan area where there are interesting things to do (Twin Cities, Austin, Raleigh/Durham area, etc), for less money. 
    My dude keeps trying to tell me that; he lives in Philadelphia, but I remain unconvinced. I already lived in the DC area a few years ago, and I still longed for NYC because it was home. So, I dunno if I could ever like any place else if I were to leave.
  • MODMOD
    edited August 2015
    Wait, CTK? Cool The Kid???? OMG! Great to hear from you!  It's so awesome you guys bought a home and found the dream! Hope you will still keep in touch!! ~ Mamacita

• I didn't make the connection between your old and new screen names. It is good to hear from you. Where in NC did you move? I was seriously tempted to move to Asheville a few years ago, but family in NYC made the move impractical.
  • We are in Charlotte. It's really nice. I will get into details tomorrow.
  • I didn't make the connection between your old and new screen names. It is good to hear from you. Where in NC did you move? I was seriously tempted to move to Asheville a few years ago, but family in NYC made the move impractical.
    I couldn't remember if I was registered as Cool The Kid or CTK. In any case like I said we moved to Charlotte. So far, really good. My wife got an interview 2/13 so we flew down together to check it out. The thing that hooked us was the food. It wasn't NYC grade obviously but it was very local and pretty good. We figured it couldn't be that bad if the food was that good. It's also very green here. So many trees. It's very refreshing.

My wife convinced one half of her family to move up from Florida and so far they really like it. Much better than South Florida.

There are some tricky things/downsides though.

I would say COL is about the same or close. RE is much cheaper but you absolutely need a car. We have basic cars but they are new enough and rates were low enough that we financed them. So a 1 BR in a decent neighborhood will be about $700-1000, and then car ownership will be another $200-500, plus repairs etc. etc.

A lot of the city is somewhat poor and high crime. Those areas have awful schools as well if that is a factor.

The inner core of the city is seeing explosive gentrification. It feels A LOT like NYC ~10 years ago, with all the new luxury condos going up. Thankfully there's enough space that you can work in the city without living there.

Traffic can be a bummer if you live in the wrong places. When we moved down we were in an apartment complex on a lake. The combo of lake traffic with roads that weren't expanded to handle it(that area exploded over the last decade) makes getting around there miserable. It would take me 30 mins to get to work and anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes to get home. We bought our house far far away from there closer to two nice big freeways.

Diversity is definitely lacking. Most people are Christian American white or black. People get along though. But I dont have the spiciness added by my Jews, Jamaicans, Dominicans, Italians etc. To add to that people are a bit conformist. Last winter all the young women wore out was sweaters, jeans and brown boots. It became an inside joke between my wife and I. People are really nice though... much nicer than they are in NYC.

Speaking of conformity/lack of adventurousness..... cant get beef carpaccio or foie gras here. Also all the little hip restaurants put rabbit on their menu but none of em ever have it when we go.

And the Thai food sucks!!!!!! Tastes like they douse everything in sweet tea.

Other than that I love it. I am hoping to retire in my house. Job is good. Life is good. If you are thinking of leaving NYC, you should, unless you work in an NYC only field, in which case vaya con dios. Other than that, def give Charlotte a look, and if you do give me a shout.
  • I'm glad you're happy with your move, but the scenario you just described would drive me insane. No offense intended.

Heightsdad and I will be staying firmly put in NYC; public schools, public sector jobs, and lots of fun, good food, diversity, and adventure.