11238 USPS Package Delivery — Brooklynian

11238 USPS Package Delivery

Anyone else have problems with this? USPS tracking number says my package was delivered two days ago, but it's not there. This is something that easily fits in the mailbox. I've seen the mailman come and go without ringing the bell. No one answers the listed number for this particular post office and when it rings out you get a piercing tone as a final fuck you.

Comments

• I got another number out of them. Not sure which you have, but the two I have are 718-398-1148 and 718-783-2444. Oddly enough, I think I have gotten through on both of them at various times, but I know the piercing tone of which you write.

Good luck.

• The second number is the listed one. Of course they're closed for the day, so I'll have to wait until Monday.

• Tell them you want to file a complaint if they can't find your package. They will fight, plead and maybe even beg but file a complaint. Also check with your neighbors and around the building. The Post Office loves to hide packages like their Easter eggs.

• Packages sent to me via USPS often don't reach me... If it's bulky or valuable, I ask the sender to use UPS or FedEx.

• Packages sent to me via USPS often don't reach me... If it's bulky or valuable, I ask the sender to use UPS or FedEx.

This seems to be the consensus amongst my neighbors; this sender only uses USPS, but I will take all of this into consideration in the future.

(Calling all English teachers: Is this correct semicolon use?)

For the record, I lived between Franklin and Bedford (11216) and never had a problem with USPS delivery.

• If you can avoid using USPS in zip code 11238, do so. They take laziness and incompetence to a new level. I had a few negative experiences with them years ago and have since gone out of my way to avoid using them, even if it winds up costing me more money. Some things are worth paying for.

• I actively avoid having things shipped USPS as well, for the same reason. It used to be that packages would just never arrive. Now they tend to arrive several days after the delivery-notification email reaches me.

And that's a close but not quite on the semi-colon use; you want the two sentences to be very closely related, and in your example they read to me as two quite distinct thoughts. But I'm only a former English teacher, so take from that what you will.

• I agree with Mishaps: your semicolon should have been a period.

I also agree with those who prefer UPS and FedEx over USPS. Whenever USPS delivers a package to me (in 11215), they deposit it on my doorstep for all the world to see, ring the doorbell, and run for the hills. Sometimes the package is still there when I get home, and sometimes it is not.

• booklaw at least they bother to ring your doorbell thats more than I get.

• We're in 11238 and have had problems with USPS, FedEx and UPS--I think many of the drivers are lazy and once they see they have to climb stairs to our apartment, they just leave a sticky note on the door. Several times we've been home waiting for a package, only to find a note on our door in the evening. They showed up but never even buzzed.

Now, we get most of our packages delivered to Lincoln Postal. We pay a small fee ($5 per package) and they hold packages for us. They even let me borrow a handtruck to carry a package home once.

Best of luck!

• AP, I had this exact problem with UPS when I first moved in. I was shocked at how many delivery attempts were made whilst I was waiting in my apartment. I actually once saw the UPS driver park in front my building look at it and then simply mark the package as "delivery attempt made." He never even left the truck!

This is when I called the customer service number and they filed a complaint. When it happened again I called once more and insisted on being bumped up the chain of command twice. I have no idea who I talked to but afterwards I've never had a problem with UPS. But they do make me sign for absolutely everything now. So it's worth it to call.

I want to know why the USPS sucks so much. In Prospect

Heights/ Crown Heights. Or is it all of Brooklyn? When I lived in Manhattan I never ever had a problem with my mail. In Tennessee barely a problem. In Georgia only a few problems here and there. However it was starting to get worse in my last year there. Yet in Brooklyn, there are times when I feel lucky to get mail at all.

P.S. has anyone figured out a way to get Amazon and eBay sellers to stop shipping via USPS/ FedEx Smart Post?

• I want to know why the USPS sucks so much. In Prospect

Heights/ Crown Heights. Or is it all of Brooklyn?

As I mentioned, I never had a problem with USPS package delivery in 11216.

• Yuppie, your lucky! My friends living on the border of Prospect Heights and Crown Heights have problems. My neighbors and I have trouble. It would appear a lot of other people have trouble. Whats your secret?

• Whatever it was no longer works.

• I used to get mail like clockwork in 11216. Then my regular mail carrier died/got fired/moved to another route/became a superhero and now the mail carrier seems to change from week to week. Some weeks are good, others not so much.

• I generally get things shipped to work, but when I don't I prefer USPS since I can pick the package up on Fulton Street as oppose to the ass end of Canarsie.

• horrible don't ever ship anything you want to get with them or get a mailbox at one of those paid places. It not just that area code it all over NYC. Alot of times they'll just drop it in front of the door. which get legs and walk away from ya.

• USPS city-wide is horrible. UPS and FedEx are better, but I've still had problems with both services.

My advice:

Never ship anything in a padded envelope. Always us a box. Anything I've had go astray has been packaged in a soft envelope.

• I can barely believe it myself, but I've never had a problem with USPS delivery in 11238. Every regular package that's been sent to me has gotten into my vestibule without me having to go fetch it.

UPS is another story. The guy with the yellow sunglasses is all about ringing all the doorbells, so often the package will make it inside the door if somebody in the building is home.

FedEx is one that'll leave a note without ringing the bell, although even they've gotten less bad lately. Maybe they've got a new driver with a conscience.

• I can barely believe it myself, but I've never had a problem with USPS delivery in 11238. Every regular package that's been sent to me has gotten into my vestibule without me having to go fetch it.

UPS is another story. The guy with the yellow sunglasses is all about ringing all the doorbells, so often the package will make it inside the door if somebody in the building is home.

FedEx is one that'll leave a note without ringing the bell, although even they've gotten less bad lately. Maybe they've got a new driver with a conscience.

• 11216 here. The postal worker used to leave the orange slips when we had packages. Lately they've just been dumping them in our foyer. One of them was a freaking LAPTOP. We have a paid postal box on Franklin for delivery now.

• +1. ive learned that postal service in 11238 (and the surrounding post offices) is terrible. often times i'll see online that package a package was delivered, but there will be no evidence of it, no slip or package. half the time they will have it waiting at the post office, half the time it will have just disappeared into the ether. i have about a 65% success rate with postcards getting to me.

most of the postal employees seem to be really lazy and hate their jobs and customers. not all, i have met some good people, but they are the exception.

• 11238 is a special third-world outpost of the usps. actually, that's insulting the third world -- i got far better mail service in mexico. i have almost never gotten a package delivered here without days or even weeks of hassle. i fill out and leave the delivery slip on the door (which my letter carrier ignores) and fill out the redelivery info online. it always takes several tries. the phone numbers at the 11238 station are never answered. i fill out the complaint form online though every single time and urge everyone else to do the same. perhaps one day someone in some authority will see there's a problem here and clean house. but i'm not holding my breath.

• So I don't know if the USPS lost it in Texas or in NYC or somewhere in between but they lost my girlfriend's christmas gift. Seeing how it was handmade from Etsy there is no way I'm going to be able to get a replacement one from here before the 25th. I'm beyond livid. For what it's worth I live in 11216 and the last scan was in Texas.

• Hi. Not sure if you've already tried this...but, I recently had a similar issue with a package lost by the post office in my old neighborhood (filled with all the lazy, rude, less-than-helpful staff as you described...), and after 3 weeks of frustration and getting nowhere with the staff I escalated the issue of the missing item to that particular Post Office's "Station Manager". I'm guessing they may have more at stake in terms of a person filing a "lost package" insurance claim or complaint again the post office than a regular employee would have and so they are a bit more incentivized to help/find the package, but literally, within 3 days of escalating to the Station Manager, my package from China was miraculously found and I was able to pick it up...As a matter of fact, the Station Manager even ran it out to my car for me instead of making me wait in line. So, if you havent tried that yet, give it a whirl...Hope that helps....

• I do give them credit for creativity in coming up with excuses for not delivering packages.  But that's the only thing the lazy sacks of crap there put any effort into.  If they ever do start privatizing, please let it start in 11238.  Fire the entire sorry lot of them.
  • Whenever Amazon deliveres via USPS there is always a lot of tension and anxious waiting. Will it go wrong....again (most likely it will)? Or will we actually...gasp...receive the package? There have been problems with UPS too, but UPSP is a true nightmare. USPS online re delivery service is a joke and a waste of time. It never works.
  • edited September 2014
    Many people solve this problem by having the packages delivered to to one of the nearby Mail Box etc type stores, or to a friend that lives in a doorman building.
  • Stolen packages are a problem.

I agree with whynot: if you can't have these things delivered to work, then use a Mail Boxes Etc. type place.
  • edited August 2015
    GoLocker is the delivery pick up & drop off service that lets you ship or receive deliveries on your schedule, using automated locker kiosks in convenient locations. No more rude customer service at the post office or waiting at home for nothing! Check out GoLocker.com / Yelp ;http://www.yelp.com/biz/golocker-brooklyn-7

The following location is close: 
    Monaco Car Service 
    742 Washington Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11238

For other locations, please check out GoLocker.com 
  • As an alternate action, call  your local community board and ask them for the phone # or email of your postal station ombudsman.

The ombudsman will take your information and negotiate with postal management to get to the root of the problem. Give them as much information/documentation as possible.

I had a problem at St. Johns/11213 that ultimately uncovered the malfeasance of the motorized carrier. I don't know what disciplinary actions were taken, but he wasn't seen on the route for several months.

Hope this helps.
  • I think a lot of people have concluded that USPS's problems are far larger than they wish to attempt to solve, and have given up on them entirely.

They use UPS instead.

Needless to say, this just fosters the decline of USPS. Gradually, post offices are being closed throughout the nation. Contracts with Office Max and Staples are in the works: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/us-postal-service-workers-staples-staff/story?id=21597291

• edited August 2015
    I think a lot of people have concluded that USPS's problems are far larger than they wish to attempt to solve, and have given up on them entirely.

They use UPS instead.

Needless to say, this just fosters the decline of USPS. Gradually, post offices are being closed throughout the nation. Contracts with Office Max and Staples are in the works: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/us-postal-service-workers-staples-staff/story?id=21597291

I've had bad experiences with the UPS package center in Brooklyn. Even if I were at home during the day, I won't use them either. If one has to go to the package center, it's all the way out by Canarsie. I had to go there once because the UPS package center screwed up and didn't bother to reroute my package, despite multiple requests to do so. Plus, they refused to give an explanation or take my complaint. 

I wonder whether it'd be that big of a loss if more post offices were to close. The USPS of today is not what it was 30 or 40 years ago. I'd rather go to the one at Cadman Plaza before going to the one on Empire Boulevard for example. 
  • edited August 2015
    The post office that services 11238 (my zip) is on Fulton near Grand. I live near the Brooklyn Museum and this is pretty long trek to pick up a "signature required" package.

Also, the place closes at 5 PM.

https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorDetailsAction!input.action?radius=20&locationType=po&locationID=1352387&locationName=ADELPHI&address2=&address1=950+FULTON+ST&city=BROOKLYN&state=NY&zip5=11238&zip4=9997&tollFree=800-ASK-USPS® (800-275-8777)&latitude=40.6825629&longitude=-73.962686

Why should I have to leave work early to pick up such a package?

I will feel bad for the long time USPS workers who are going to lose their jobs, but I will enjoy going to Office Max or Staples instead.

....the longer USPS has to wait to enact such contracts, the more its finances and reputation will suffer.
  • Why should I have to leave work early to pick up such a package? 
    Exactly. Going in on a Saturday morning  and having to deal with the lines also is not fun. 
  • I live in a doorman building and the USPS storage box (not consumer mailbox) is right outside, so getting packages has generally not been a problem in the 2 years I've been here.

What HAS been a problem is random business mail (including checks, 1099s, credit card statement) being returned to senders (my customers) stamped "Delivery Attempted - Unknown."  How is this possible?  The only "attempt" required to deliver correctly addressed mail to an apartment is to put it in the mailbox and wait for the resident to either accept or reject it.  And this mail was correctly addressed.  I know because I had my clients send me the rejected envelopes as part of re-sending the mail I needed.

I also had the 11238 Post Office return to me a package that I had dropped in the mailbox at Sterling and Vanderbilt.  It was returned with a note saying that stamped mail weighing more than 13 ounces must be mailed in person at the Post Office.  Fine.  This package weighed 8 ounces.  So I went to the PO  (the one on Atlantic, not 11238 on Fulton) and waited a hour to remail my legal package.  Small consolation is that the clerk understood this was a PO mistake and felt sorry for me.

Now, when I send packages by USPS rather than FedEx or UPS, I still drop them off at either the UPS Store or Away We Go Postal (FedEx) on Flatbush.  I pay a $1 convenience fee, but to keep an hour of my life out of the Post Office's hands is worth it.
  • edited August 2015
    A UPS package due this week from Amazon (zip code 11238) had its UPS tracking status magically changed to "Receiver requested that package be held." I didn't do a thing, it just happened, after prior statuses had indicated it was on the truck; UPS email said it had never left their facility.

God works in strange ways.

I have also seen packages magically rerouted to the UPS store on Flatbush, with no delivery attempt.
  • edited August 2015
    @SterlingBanjoBoy - I'm one zip code over (11225) in an apartment building. My family has been in this apartment for many years, and only four members (including myself) received mail there. Yet, I've received mail addressed to people with the same last name but completely different names. I've also seen mail in the box that is for a completely different apartment all together, despite the fact that 1) the mail has a different apartment and the mailboxes are clearly marked, and 2) the intended addressee's box isn't even adjacent to my mailbox. This makes me wonder what are these carriers doing? Can they not read or are they just not paying attention? When I think about filing a complaint, I get discouraged because I feel as if it would fall upon deaf ears (which incidentally happened when I tried to file a complaint about the UPS Brooklyn depot).

I will sometimes send packages to friends either via the APC at a USPS station, or use an alternate carrier to send a UPS package. Yet, I do that in Manhattan, and I tend to have more faith in the service there than in Brooklyn.
  • I used to live in 11238 and I had issues with the Post Office on Fulton near Grand when I moved out. I had placed a hold on my mail but when I went to go check on it, the manager said your mail isn't here. I personally found him completely unhelpful and unapologetic. Finally, a couple of weeks later, they found my mail (I went when I knew the mail carrier would be there sorting her mail). I found the service there abominable. The first time I went there, several of us in line were bemoaning the issues at that office. One guy in the conversation said he used a service after several packages were never delivered. It might have been GoLocker. I know my neighbor in Prospect Heights had problems with mail delivery, although I don't recall what the deal was.

When I had to set up a PO Box, I went to the office on Atlantic near Barclays (11217).  I've found them to be more competent -- one of the managers, an even-keeled, knowledgeable woman, has been quite helpful to me.  They're not perfect, but I've never heard anyone get testy or angry in line, which seems to be a regular occurrence at the Fulton Post Office.  
  • If you want to experience crappy service try the post office for 11213 on St. Johns. I'm a business about 200 feet from the branch and if my carrier is out I get no delivery. When she was out for five weeks the beginning of the year I got mail maybe once a week and twice because I happened to see the person who took over her route walking by. Otherwise they don't care. As for going to the branch, they have two speeds there....slow and stop. If there's more than five people on line bring your next meal with you because odds are you'll be there long enough to eat it.
  • edited August 2015

When I had to set up a PO Box, I went to the office on Atlantic near Barclays (11217).  I've found them to be more competent -- one of the managers, an even-keeled, knowledgeable woman, has been quite helpful to me.  They're not perfect, but I've never heard anyone get testy or angry in line, which seems to be a regular occurrence at the Fulton Post Office.  
    @psbklyn - I'm also familiar with the Times Plaza post office; my parents kept their P.O. box there for years even after they moved out of that zip code. I can testify that the staff there is generally helpful. I just wished that location had extended hours, like the one at Cooper Square or the GPO at Cadman Plaza.
  • We once had a packaged delivered to our building that belonged across the street.  I'm sure that USPS marked that thing "delivered" and the poor person was wondering where it was.  I walked it across the street and handed it to the correct person.

More than once, every single person in our building received mail that was intended for another building.  Aaaaaand, everyone in that other building got our building's mail.  I called the post office to complain, and was told that there was a substitute carrier on that day.  Really?  It takes our regular carrier to be able to read addresses correctly?

Finally, has anyone else noticed that the mail delivery in our neighborhood is very, very late.  We frequently receive our mail after 6pm.  In the winter I notice the carrier walking around with a headlamp.  When does she start delivering the mail?
  • edited August 2015
    Several months ago our regular carrier was delivering mail at 8 PM, and she stated it was because she covered someone else's route in addition to hers.

Naively, I stated: I hope you are getting overtime.

To which she responded: There ain't no overtime at USPS, and they don't hire people after they quit or when they are sick or on vacation.

....which has helped give me some context.
  • Well, I know that there are days when our carrier simply doesn't get around to delivering our mail.  We won't get any mail for a day or so, and then suddenly our box is full of mail.
  • A postal worker in Manhattan, in a smoothly run office, told me that the prob with the post in parts of Brooklyn is that people do not write letters to Washington D.C., and complain. In Manhattan people complain when there is a problem, in writing -- and it makes all the difference.
    And again, this is the advise from a US postal worker working in a post office in Manhattan.
  • @WRL I would tend to agree based on my experience. The post office on Fulton and Grand (Adelphi Station, which serves 11238) used to have TERRIBLE customer service. Granted, they aren't great still, but they are much, much improved. While I generally didn't have the time nor patience to call DC to lodge a complaint for the behavior of the workers here, one day I couldn't take the foolishness anymore. This postal worker was very rude and disrespectful to a customer (not me). When the customer asked to see a manager, the worker acted like she couldn't hear the woman. When the worker finally went to the back to get the manager, someone (who was not the manager) came out, walked by the window and laughed her behind off at the customer. The woman called DC on the spot and so did I. I did notice that, during my next visit to the post office, which was months after, the main troublemaker was no longer there (she was replaced by a much nicer woman) and the other staff members had cleaned up their attitudes. If we didn't complaint, I seriously doubt that we'd have seen that change. 

Also, note, we used to get our mail in the evening, but, after multiple complaints, we now get it before Noon. Sure, there are the occasional problems, but I'm overall pleased. 
This discussion has been closed.