772 Dean St wants to serve beer. It is between Washington and Underhill. — Brooklynian

772 Dean St wants to serve beer. It is between Washington and Underhill.

edited April 2015 in Prospect Heights
772 Dean Street
Prospect Heights

Small storefront. Here's your street view: http://goo.gl/maps/UK7j9

Entity would be called The Rendered Room. It would use the backyard.

Please be advised that the SLA & Sidewalk Café Review Committee will meet on Monday, April 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM at CNR-The Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, which is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places). imagephoto: Corcoran

BTW, here is what this building looked like a few years ago, and an account of why the nearby buildings are setback so far from the street: http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015/02/building-of-the-day-766-772-dean-street/

Comments

• The backhouse is actually still there.

I wonder if they will have a garden with access to the backhouse? That'd be kinda cool.
  • edited March 2015
    Use of the backyard is requested as part of the pending liquor application.
  • edited March 2015
    I hope it gets approved as I love what is happening to this area in terms of businesses opening, but man do I hate that building (or at least the facade)!
  • edited March 2015

Did you like it more when it was an auto parts store?

766-772-Dean-Street-CB-PS

• Certainly not! And I forgot how hideous the building it replaced was. 
  • It is actually the same building, it just got a really thorough scrubbing.

• Really? Good to know. I was away for most of the last 7 years for school, so some area projects have escaped me.
  • Welcome back.

I assume you have noticed that "we" opened about 5 new coffee places, 2 new Mexican places, and 5 new bars each year you were gone.
  • Thanks.

And, yes, that I have noticed, along with all of the other shops that have opened on Washington, which is the most "major" street near me. If you ask me, some of the Mexican places are overkill. I'd like to see cheap West African options in the area (Buka doesn't cut it)!. One can dream, I guess :) 
  • As we age, we will eat less Mexican and drink less alcohol and coffee.

West African could work.

• edited April 2015
    This application has several missing elements, and probably won't get CB8's support tonight unless they have act together.

Update: They no longer seek rear yard use. They would close by 11 PM Fri and Sat, and at 10 on other days. They brought everything they needed to bring.

Two women will run it. It will have coffee and tea during the day, and have a retail component (ceramics, candles, etc). The term "bar" is not accurate. This will be a quiet venue...

They brought several letters of support from nearby businesses and residents.

It will be tabled until the next mtg, so they can advise neighbors of their intent to serve beer.

• edited June 2015
    lic pending https://www.tran.sla.ny.gov/servlet/ApplicationServlet?pageName=com.ibm.nysla.data.publicquery.PublicQuerySuccessfulResultsPage&validated=true&serialNumber=1286279&licenseType=OP

The venue is now describing itself as a "retail bar", and seems to be opening under the name Ode to Babel.   

"a retail bar : espresso by day : cocktails by nite : & a curated mix of local & global independent makers mixed in"

It hopes to open in mid July.

CIOG4A3W8AAZcT6.jpg_large
  • Every time I walk by and see that sign I think for a second we're getting a bagel shop...
  • This place is also open; rode by a little while ago. 
  • This is a great place, Great owners (twin sisters) They hold a really cool brunch event on Sundays at 2.. just swing by the bar and check it out.
  • I'm not familiar with this business model, but it's so close to me that I'll check it out with my wife this weekend. Probably for cocktails rather than espresso. Stay tuned.
  • edited August 2015
    @notsayin-
    I don't think that is the type of confusion I believe they are going for.

"God came down to look at the city and tower, and remarked that as one people with one language, nothing that they sought would be out of their reach. God went down and confounded their speech, so that they could not understand each other, and scattered them over the face of the earth, and they stopped building the city. Thus the city was called Babel"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel

Readers, we seem to have been witnessing the pre-grand opening. The actual grand opening will be on August 21.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150816/prospect-heights/photos-lifestyle-bar-ode-babel-open-this-week-prospect-heights

This place sounds like it is cozy, and serve customers who live very locally.
  • edited September 2015
    Post above said they stated on their application for a liquor license that it would be a quiet venue, that they would close at 10pm on weekdays/11pm on weekends and that they were not seeking use of the rear yard.

It is not a quiet venue.
    They do not close at 10pm weekdays/11pm weekends.
    They are using the rear yard.

All of which adds up to very noisy on a residential block.

Seems to me they pulled a bait and switch on their liquor license application.
  • Options available to you include: making noise complaints to 311, reporting their back yard use to NYC DOB via 311, contacting the local community board (CB8?), reaching out to community affairs office of police precinct, calling the state liquor board. I'd start w/ the liquor board, just to make sure they don't have any updates to their license.

Or talking to them, though in my experience w/ bars this doesn't usually work :) good luck
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks for the advice, ridonkulous!
  • I've been through this twice, at two different apartments!
This discussion has been closed.