Aliseo gone for good? — Brooklynian

Aliseo gone for good?

I noticed tapas menus in the window of Aliseo last night. Is this a permanent change? Has anyone been?

Comments

• The owner of Aliseo also owns Amorina, and is in the process of opening a place on Classon at Lincoln in the the former Abigails space.

I am going to speculate that he is spending much of his time on the new space, and is thus making his life a little easier by going to a tapas menu for Aliseo. This is pure speculation.

• Does anyone have an update on his new place on Classon Avenue?

• Yup.

We have been discussing the former site of Abigails here: http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/is-abigails-kaput

• I was disappointed to see that Aliseo as Italian was going away, although I checked out the new menu and it looks terrific. I think the disappointment was misplaced.

Hoping that a new menu and consistent hours will allow the revamped Aliseo to hit its stride.

• looking forward to trying a revamped aliseo. we'd pretty much stopped going after a couple of very expensive but workmanlike and unexciting meals there. amorina, however, has become a staple for a night out.

• After being closed for a while, Aliseo has re-opened. As of March 6, 2013:

2) Prospect heights: Jennifer Cole-Ruiz, an alum of a number of restaurants in Spain including Andres Madrigal's Balzac, has opened a new tapas restaurant called La Mujer Gala. In addition to hot and cold tapas, the menu also has a handful of larger plates, including roasted suckling pig and red wine stewed beef cheeks, along with a pretty killer Spanish wine list. Tapas are almost all below $10 and the larger plates max out at $22. Status: Certified Open; 665 Vanderbilt Ave., 718-783-3400.

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/02/thursday_opening_report_85.php

Menu: http://galarestaurantbk.com/menu.html

Pro-tip: The former owner of Aliseo, is soon going to open a restraurant on Classon, in the space that used to be occupied by Abigail's.

• "La Mujer Gala" will soon apply for a Beer/Wine lic under its own name.

....Monday, September 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM at CNR-Center Light Health Care Center, which is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places).

• They didn't show up.

So, our next opportunity to find out if they are still interested in doing this is Monday, October 7th.

• whynot_31 said:

They didn't show up.

So, our next opportunity to find out if they are still interested in doing this is Monday, October 7th.

I wonder if this place has closed again. The restaurant has been closed when I've walked by in the past couple of weeks in the evening. That's new, because I knew they had been open all summer. Not sure what's going on here, the neighborhood definitely supports good restaurants. We had tapas there once and liked it.

• i was wondering the same thing. it was closed over the weekend, and the web site says "we are currently closed."

doesn't sound good.

• gone for good. i heard they had a 6-month trial lease, after which the landlord doubled their rent. so they left. greedy landlords are wrecking the commercial areas in ph, leaving vacant storefronts and driving the more interesting businesses to franklin and nostrand. too bad for us. i wish jennifer luck in finding a new space, and hope it's nearby, and i hope the owner of 665 is enjoying the rent-free restaurant.

• Smokin' Joe said:

gone for good. i heard they had a 6-month trial lease, after which the landlord doubled their rent. so they left. greedy landlords are wrecking the commercial areas in ph, leaving vacant storefronts and driving the more interesting businesses to franklin and nostrand. too bad for us. i wish jennifer luck in finding a new space, and hope it's nearby, and i hope the owner of 665 is enjoying the rent-free restaurant.

WITHIN five years, the landlords, from Classon up to Nostrand, Atlantic to EP, will be doing the same thing. I give it around eight years, maybe a tad sooner, for the rents to double up to Albany, possibly Utica.

• while that's undoubtedly true, and nothing short of another major recession will stop that trend, and that's life, the landlords in ph have gotten ahead of the curve, charging more than what the market will bear, hence the many vacancies on vanderbilt, flatbush and washington.

• While there are a lot of vacancies, I am told there are also a lot of prospective tenants looking at these vacancies.

Landlords tend to own more than one building, and (if they bought long ago) can still do ok if some of their units are vacant.

They are betting that they will be eventually be filled with a tenant who will sign a 3 or 5 year lease.

They have no need to drop their prices in the short term.

• edited August 2015
    Almost 2 years later:

665 Vanderbilt (the former site Aliseo) is now for rent. They would like $6.67 PSF a month. $6k.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19398921/665-Vanderbilt-Brooklyn-NY/

I don't believe the landlord has publicly listed it before now.
  • Do people really pay $38 for a pie?
  • edited April 2016

Yes.   That is about what they run at Butter and Scotch.
      http://www.butterandscotch.com/firstprizepies

...and Pels Pie in PLG 
    http://eat24hrs.com/restaurants/order2/menu.php?id=63269

However, my sense is that most of their business stems from 2 people having a slice of pie and 2 glasses of wine.

$4 a slice x 2 = $8

$7 a glass x 4 =  $28

8 + 28 = 36 plus tip. 

• Guess I'll never move to a gentrified area. I'll get my generic pies at Costco for $11.
  • I rarely spend $18 on after dinner drinks and dessert, but the Vanderbilt area of Prospect Heights might have enough people who do.  
  • More power to owner of Aliseo, he is one of the pioneers of Vanderbilt. from about 1998? I guess, he started fixing up that old storefront shell.
  • For Prospect Heights pioneers, I think there are better candidates: Acme Pet ranks higher IMO, but also Hot Bird (not the beer garden at Atlantic and Clinton, but the no-longer-there rotisserie chicken place that was opposite Joy on Vanderbilt).
  • Oh youngsters! I had lived here  for almost 15 years when  I salvaged forelorn 624 Vanderbilt in 1981, a time when the Plan B building next door was a roofless shell and drug dealers lounged on every square foot. And the guys at MET were already here too bravely trying to make a go of it. Not to mention other FAMILY OWNED stores that had been an important part of the fabric of the neighborhood for many decades before Aliseo came and went. Pioneer indeed! There are still people on my block who have been here since the fifties. This pioneer stuff is kind of insulting. Maybe Garden Cafe was far more daring than Aliseo. It was where Milk now is. But Mitchell's was here before them all!
  • Agreed that "pioneer" is a really gross way to talk about new people moving into a neighborhood.  

Garden Cafe was too ritzy for my broke ass at the time, but I recall friends who lived in other neighborhoods going there on special date nights. And as I recall it had been there a while when I moved to PH in '99. 

• for those who would like to closely watch the building of the pie place:

https://twitter.com/DalyPies?lang=en

• CB8 member reports that they supported the following application:

• Daly Pie LLC, 665 Vanderbilt Avenue (Park/Prospect) – Beer, Wine, & Cider [Prospect Heights pie shop #2]

• Front windows of Daily Pie state it will open mid June, and workers were in shop tonight making final preparations.

Looks like it could open by the weekend.
This discussion has been closed.