88-92 Linden Blvd houses sold, to be made into a giant glassy box - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

88-92 Linden Blvd houses sold, to be made into a giant glassy box

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/06/revealed-88-92-linden-boulevard-flatbush.html

i wouldn't be bummed about this as much if it was closer in size or at least had the same set back as the buildings next to it. sigh.

i live on Lenox, which also has buildings set back significantly from the sidewalk, and my biggest fear is that developers will just come in and ignore that really vital aspect of the street's character. i don't think there's anything that can be done about it....i don't think it's a bad thing that people are building--all i really want is for some context, of course.

also, it is another bummer that one of these houses was actually renovated in the past few years, and is in wonderful shape. with so many empty lots around here, i wish developers could focus their attention on those crummy parking lots instead of beautiful houses. :(

Comments

• edited June 2015
    The crummy parking lots may be zoned commercial, and/or owned by entities that have the objective/patience to wait until the market increases further.

So, the houses go first.777x600x88-92-Linden-Blvd_002-777x600.jpg.pagespeed.ic.mWwHXm83ZU
  • i wonder if there's anything a concerned resident of CB 14 or CB 17 could do without raising the attention of She Who Must Not Be Named of CB 9
  • edited June 2015
    The houses are presumably being sold by entities who want to get the most money for them, to entities who want to build something more profitable on them.

Landmarking is a methods available to thwart entities with such goals. It is difficult to create.

Downzoning is another method. It is also difficult.

• This is actually a kind of interesting and beautiful glassy design. 
  • This is actually a kind of interesting and beautiful glassy design. 
    i don't really mind the design. what i mind is that it seems to jut out beyond every single other building and house on Linden blvd, which are all set back from the sidewalk to produce big open lawns. i'm not really sure why linden blvd is like this--i assume it's because at one time it was all victorian wood frame homes owned by rich people, and when the developers came in the 1910s-1930s they probably made an informal arrangement to preserve that street character.

same goes for Lenox. I found a little blurb on the Brooklyn Daily Eagle that mentions the developer who built my apartment building in the 1930s purchasing the large stately home of a wealthy Flatbush family in order to build "a modern apartment house." The tone of the article is that of whirlwind change, not dissimilar from today--except in the case of my building, the man selling his victorian home on a massive plot probably had a lot more money than the developer, who in later BDE articles (specifically his 25th wedding anniversary announcement) seems to have lived in the apartment building himself. ha
  • also the 2 trees in front of this development site are some of the largest, most beautiful trees on that street. I worry for them :(
  • If you look at the second image in this yimby article: http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/06/revealed-88-92-linden-boulevard-flatbush.html

You can see that the building does extend further out, BUT not at the base. Shadows along the nondescript first floor/sidewalk level. Also trees are in both renderings. I think most people like trees and large sidewalks, so it would be advantageous to keep them.
  • well, i guess we won't know for sure until it's built. renderings are famously difficult to interpret--that could be 10 feet or 20 depending on how you look at it. 

also, i wonder were the entrance to this building is, exactly. hmmmmmm
  • I think Linden was narrowed at some point, and all the buildings have large garden plots where the old sidewalks used to be, until about E40th st or so. Most of these gardens are underused, and some completely paved over, but I agree that it does give the street a unique character. Can you imagine if they were all well-kept gardens?
    I'm all for greenery - if I was shopping for a condo I would be swayed by a building that had a more green entranceway. I wonder what the developer will do with the back of the building? They aren't allowed to use the entire lot. 
  • most? i don't think so. perhaps some of the actual small houses have driveways, but most of the buildings on Linden are large and have grassy lawns if not fully landscaped gardens
  • What I meant was, even a grassy lawn is kind of a poor use of a front of a large apartment building. What good is a grassy lawn if no one is allowed to walk on it? 
    Full landscaping is nice. It seems to me as though the co-op buildings tend to be landscaped but the rental buildings are mostly lawn, pavement, trash, or a combo. 
    That said, it is a grand street that needs more attention from the powers that be. 
    Does anyone know what can be done about the continued abuse of the truck route privileges for trucks coming and going to JFK? It's my understanding that Linden is supposed to be only for Brooklyn deliveries, and not 18 wheelers with cargo containers. 
  • This is interesting. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it just yet. However, architects in NYC need to do better as a whole. I'm sick of glassy box apartments littered throughout Brooklyn. In Boston (where I attend school) the new apartment buildings are often built in the style of the surrounding buildings. By this I mean they have cornices if they're in a neighborhood with row houses and such.
  • edited June 2015
    In Boston, communities may have more input/regulations over design and aesthetics than they do here.

Their architects may not be any better or worse.
  • The new proposals from DeBlasio, Zoning for Quality and Affordability, attempts to address the "street wall" problem. New buildings would match existing street walls. 

If you look at the images in the middle of the page, they very much look like Linden Blvd. 

"In medium-and high-density zoning districts, key changes under the proposal would:

Allow residential buildings limited additional height – no more than five feet, in over 95% of cases – if they provide a taller ground floor
    Allow limited additional height – no more than one or two stories, in over 95% of cases – to fit the additional floor area allowed for buildings providing affordable senior housing or Inclusionary Housing, in areas that have been designated for it
    Introduce a limit on the number of stories for buildings, to ensure that additional stories cannot be squeezed in within these heights
    Allow buildings a few feet of room to set back from the sidewalk and provide garden areas in front of the building
    Allow a spectrum of affordable senior housing and care facilities – ranging from independent living to State-licensed facilities like assisted living and nursing care – alone or in combination
    Make parking optional for new affordable housing units in transit-accessible areas"

I'm not sure if it's too late for 88 Linden. These amendments haven't been approved yet. 
  • Walked by on Tuesday and they were tearing these down.