St. John's Post Office Is the Worst - Brooklynian

Comments

• I run a mail order business from home in BK and have dealt with three different post offices since i started. They're all REALLY bad. The only thing that has helped me is to make nice with my pick up guy and give him drinks, snacks and at the end of the year $100. He gave me his cell number and I can text for favors when I need them. This still doesn't prevent them from consistently not delivering my Amazon packages (saying no one was home when I was home). And then not redelivering said packages so that they get sent back. And many more awful things like when he takes days off no one picks up. It's rough out there. There is someone you can complain to. I've called the big boss a few times and they will take your info but nothing changes.
  • edited March 2016
    Perhaps the question should be phrased "why WOULD they fix it"?image
  • This is definitely not the worst Post Office in Brooklyn. Perhaps it is the only one you have used so far?

Of the three I have used (including this one) the one in Flatbush - 2273 Church Ave - is easily the worst of the bunch.
  • My office is about 150 feet from the St. Johns post office. The route I'm on has no steady carrier. If I'm lucky I'll get mail once a week. I have offered to pick up my mail if they hold it but they don't do that either. I have complaints lodged with the letter carrier supervisor (most unhelpful person you ever met), the manager and the area manager all to no avail. I have resorted to having my clients use my home address for mailing. Sometimes things just don't get resolved.
  • Having received my mail through both this post office and the one on Empire I can safely say that they're both equally horrible.  Packages rarely get delivered.  I took my birthday off from work and as always they lied and said that they attempted to deliver the package, never mind that I was home and no one ever rang the buzzer, nor do they ever leave a notice, so the only way you even know they "tried to deliver it" is by tracking it online.  I've updated it literally one minute after they "attempted to deliver it" and clearly no one had been there anytime recently.  I don't think they even bother with the pretense that they're trying to deliver packages anymore.  And of course, since they don't leave a notice they give you attitude at the post office, asking why you don't have it.  The whole experience is like having someone sit there saying "why are you hitting yourself? Why are you hitting yourself? Ad nauseum."

Every time I go there to pick up a package and they ask for the notice a spontaneous support group breaks out with everyone in the post office recounting their various horror stories.  At this point I generally just try to pay extra to make sure I actually get my package.  The post offices in Brooklyn are honestly some of the worst run businesses I've ever encountered, and using the term "business" is probably stretching the reasonable definitions of that word.
  • This has been my post office for the past 40 years. It has lots of problems, but I assure relative newcomers to this area that service has actually improved over the years. While the clerks do not exactly run to retrieve packages for pickup, they're still much faster than one rather mountainous clerk years back who, if she had moved any more slowly, would have been going backwards. There was also one older clerk who was the nastiest piece of work I've ever encountered in a post office. (OK, there was one who was equally nasty in the Sheepshead Bay office a few months back, but I only had occasion to deal with her once.)

Still in all, given my druthers, I take packages with me into Manhattan when I need to mail something out. As for deliveries, perhaps because I live in a private brownstone, I tend to get all the packages that are sent to me ... though the doorbell is never rung to alert me. Since they switched my letter carrier to a different part of the route a few years ago, I never know when my mail will arrive, though it is usually after 7PM when my "regular" person is working.
  • This is definitely not the worst Post Office in Brooklyn. Perhaps it is the only one you have used so far?

Of the three I have used (including this one) the one in Flatbush - 2273 Church Ave - is easily the worst of the bunch.
    YES.  THIS.  The Church Ave branch is the worst I've ever encountered.  But truly, the post office in NYC should function completely differently than it does elsewhere.  In suburbia missing a package just isn't a thing.  Being open only 9-5 is fine since you can hop in your car, drive over to the large parking lot, and wait in a line for maybe 5 minutes on your lunch break.  This is not the reality of NYC.

In NYC they should operate differently.  Extended hours through the evening just for package pick up -- maybe even 24-hours Tuesday-Thursday with just a window for package pick-up.  They should have additional clerks working on Saturdays AND SUNDAYS.  They should try package delivery 3-times like UPS does before putting the slip in your box.  They should have a presence on social media and/or working phone lines so you could find out about shortened hours or extended hours.  (I always love taking a half day from work to go to the post office to then seen a hand-written sign on the door saying they'll be open on Sunday for package pickup for some reason that week only.  You only find out about their convenient extra hours by going during their inconvenient hours.  

Unless you run a shipping business, going to the post office is a rarity outside of big cities.  They should run their business as such.
  • Not trying to excuse this government entity from its shortcomings, but when it comes to packages, why not use fedex/ups?  
  • edited April 2016
    morralkan said:

Still in all, given my druthers, I take packages with me into Manhattan when I need to mail something out. As for deliveries, perhaps because I live in a private brownstone, I tend to get all the packages that are sent to me ... though the doorbell is never rung to alert me. Since they switched my letter carrier to a different part of the route a few years ago, I never know when my mail will arrive, though it is usually after 7PM when my "regular" person is working.
    If you are able to utilize this option, you can have items delivered to your office. Since I work in Manhattan, this works for me. 

Once I saw a USPS carrier delivering a package to my building after 10 o'clock at night. I had a conversation with him (I wanted to know why bother delivering packages after hours). He said that was not out of the ordinary. 
    xlizellx said:
    This is definitely not the worst Post Office in Brooklyn. Perhaps it is the only one you have used so far?

YES.  THIS.  The Church Ave branch is the worst I've ever encountered.  But truly, the post office in NYC should function completely differently than it does elsewhere.  In suburbia missing a package just isn't a thing.  Being open only 9-5 is fine since you can hop in your car, drive over to the large parking lot, and wait in a line for maybe 5 minutes on your lunch break.  This is not the reality of NYC.

In NYC they should operate differently.  Extended hours through the evening just for package pick up -- maybe even 24-hours Tuesday-Thursday with just a window for package pick-up.  They should have additional clerks working on Saturdays AND SUNDAYS.  They should try package delivery 3-times like UPS does before putting the slip in your box.  They should have a presence on social media and/or working phone lines so you could find out about shortened hours or extended hours.  (I always love taking a half day from work to go to the post office to then seen a hand-written sign on the door saying they'll be open on Sunday for package pickup for some reason that week only.  You only find out about their convenient extra hours by going during their inconvenient hours.  

Unless you run a shipping business, going to the post office is a rarity outside of big cities.  They should run their business as such.
    This is another reason I opt to have packages delivered to the office. I'm not able to go the local post office during business hours as I am away at work. Duh. Sometimes I am also away on weekends, so I am unable to make it some Saturdays.

A couple of times I have considered getting a P.O. box at a station like GPO by Cadman Plaza or the Cooper Station in Manhattan because they are open later on weekdays.
    goldemi1 said:
    Not trying to excuse this government entity from its shortcomings, but when it comes to packages, why not use fedex/ups?  
    UPS in Brooklyn is not much better. I had my own exercise in frustration with UPS. Also, check out these Yelp reviews.

P.S. Someone on the PLG Facebook group recently shared her horror story of having her package apparently stolen from the UPS drop box on the street. UPS seemed to be aware of similar incidents from that drop box, but when one calls UPS customer service, they apparently didn't care.
  • UPS is the worst. I think the best bet with them is to have your package shipped to a UPS store for pickup and even then, there isn't a guarantee you'll get it. But their "we work 9-5 and don't deliver on the weekends" shtick is for the birds.
  • For those that want to complain here are pertinent numbers
    Letter carrier supervisor at the station Dennis Tabb 718-774-9688. Don't be surprised if he doesn't give a crap and he won't help you

Area manager 718-467-0302. You'll never get the postmaster and they won't help much either but you can try.

Conflict resolution person. Ms. Jones 718-467-0306. She'll try to help but it's a losing battle with the station.

Don't ask me how I know.
  • edited July 2016

Crown Heights, I expect you to speak loudly and clearly on this citywide survey of post offices:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20160706/inwood/tell-us-whats-worst-post-office-new-york-city

• I'm guessing that UPS delivery service may depend upon the route deliveryman and on whether one is in a private house or in an apartment building.  I live in a single family brownstone and know my UPS guy very well at this point. He always rings my bell before leaving a package to give \me a heads-up. When a signature is necessary, he definitely rings the bell. He also knows with which neighbors he can leave a package for me. Can't say the same for the USPS though.
  • Thanks, @whynot_31! I'm heading over to cast my vote for James E Davis on Empire Blvd.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/us-post-office-brooklyn-8

I can't even count the number of hassles and headaches they've caused from their disorganization and rude staff. I can't ever go in there without witnessing someone being angry or yelling at someone else. The USPS is a dinosaur that is about to become extinct. The good news is that Amazon is about to pave the way for independent package delivery. And when Amazon drops the USPS, they're definitely going to feel it.