Goodbye Popeyes. A big residental building is in the works for Fulton and Franklin — Brooklynian

Goodbye Popeyes. A big residental building is in the works for Fulton and Franklin

This is where one transfers from the S to the C train....

quote:
"Brooklyn investor Joseph Brunner is planning to construct a 119-unit, 108,000-square-foot apartment building at 1134 Fulton Street in Bedford-Stuyvesant, according to a permit application filed with the city’s Department of Buildings Tuesday.

The planned eight-story rental building will feature 89,352 square feet of residential space, as well as 18,489 square feet of commercial space including ground-floor retail. The development will also include a gym and a 75-car parking garage.
Karl Fischer is serving as the architect of record, according to the filing.

The third and fourth floors of the building will each house 21 apartments, while the fifth through seventh floors will hold 23 units each. Six apartments will be located on the eighth floor.

No demolition permits have been filed for the existing two-story retail building on the site.

Brunner could not be reached for comment. The investor acquired the property through Porter Ave Holdings LLC for $19 million last year, according to city property records."

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/05/12/joseph-brunner-to-bring-119-unit-rental-building-to-bed-stuy/

Comments

• I wouldn't want to pay out the nose to live by both Fulton and the above ground shuttle.
  • These apartments are going to be reasonably large (about 900 sq ft), so they might become condos as opposed to rentals.

Completion Spring 2018?
  • If someone wanted Popeyes, one can take the shuttle to Prospect Park and go to the location on Empire Boulevard. There's a special on Tuesdays! :) 
  • Thanks.

There are actually about 5 Popeyes that I would consider to be nearby.

http://popeyes.com/find-a-popeyes/
  • I would not want to pay out the nose to live by:

1) Fulton Street;
    2) The Shuttle;
    3) Within spitting distance of the Bedford-Atlantic Shelter

These had either be:

1) Nice condos
    2) Moderately priced rentals
    3) A doorman
  • @crownheightser, I bet the realtor(s) would say, "Look at all the transportation that is steps from your door!" (which is technically true. Never mind that the C train sucks.) 
  • Haha. They better have bike storage, @mugofmead111
  • Wow. I continue to be amazed by the change happening in this part of Brooklyn. 
  • http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015/06/rendering-big-karl-fischer-designed-mixed-use-building-fulton-street-bed-stuy/

Wow. That is kind of a gorgeous, glassy building. And a supermarket and affordable housing will be included. Not bad.

Though, still. Bedford Atlantic Armory RIGHT THERE.
  • According to the Brownstoner comments, the Goodwill between Classon and Franklin and Fulton will be closing soon. 
  • Oh, no! Really? Ugh. That one is much easier for me to get to than the one on Livingston Street.

Brooklyn had one other Goodwill location that also vanished. 
  • edited June 2015
    A supermarket for that area is a game changer. 1134-fulton-street-b-061115

Rendering via Brownstoner link

• edited June 2015
    Goodwill is already empty and had a 75% off sale yesterday. The building being constructed in its place is accepting bids for build to suit.
  • There is an Associated supermarket right across the street (between Franklin and Claver Pl). 
  • edited June 2015
    Is it "good" supermarket? ....one where people want to shop, as opposed to have to shop?

If not, than it isn't an asset of the variety I am thinking.

• edited June 2015
    I would consider it a good supermarket and one that understands the changing demographic. It has it's own growlers/features craft beer on tap
  • Goodwill is already empty and had a 75% off sale yesterday. The building being constructed in its place is accepting bids for build to suit.
    I went by there this afternoon. The store is only accepting donations. (Too bad; I spotted an item or two I would have loved to have purchased.)

Oh, no
    I would consider it a good supermarket and one that understands the changing demographic. It has it's own growlers/features craft beer on tap
    It sounds like you're looking for something like the Whole Foods at the Bowery.
  • That was in reference to the already existing Associated on Fulton. Their beer section is a walk in fridge that's advertised on the outside as "Fulton Bierhaus"
  • We're moving to that neighborhood soon. I don't know whether to be happy or sad about these changes. But I would love a better supermarket in the neighborhood. The options are limited - though I will check out the food coop there. I just hope this isn't all Duane Reades and Starbucks by the time we move.
  • That's doubtful, or at least I hope. Even if most of the area/stretch of Fulton between Franklin and Bedford changed, I'd have a very difficult time seeing all of the Muslim merchants and mosque fold and move. I say the same thing about the mosque and associated shops on Bedford between Putnam and Madison. Businesses like those will help ensure that the neighborhood doesn't completely change in my view. And, don't get me wrong. I think that change can be good. But one thing that I absolutely despise about change/gentrification is the (far too often) closing of ethnic eateries I've come to love being replaced with upscale, pricey cafes and bars. 
  • This Popeyes is gone. However, a Popeyes set up shop across the street, next to the Dunkin Donuts on the NE corner of Fulton and Franklin.
  • Does this mean the residents of the new building won't be accused of changing the neighborhood?
  • It depends. Let's see what else develops.

• I've found it is best just to plead "guilty" and move on.    I'll advise them of same.
  • edited October 2015
    The site is massive.

• edited December 2015
  • edited December 2015
    Interesting how the 'business neighbors' picture is all to the east:

business town

I suppose that's because the chain stores that national REITs recognize are mostly in poorer neighborhoods, because national chains aren't seen as desirable in luxury Brooklyn.
  • edited December 2015

Yes, at this stage of the game, they are marketing the property to large entities that have established relationships with anchor tenants that could commit YEARS in advance.  

In a few years the site will be marketed to the luxury crowd, and the pitch will be about triple paned windows, central air, washer dryers and individualized service.

...there will be no mention of those highly profitable franchises that people like to imagine they are "above", but go to anyway.

However, I do not think they will go to Popeyes.    

• demolished.   photo not by me.

pop
  • A little bird told me Chipotle is taken the corner.
  • If that's true, that would be wonderful news! Can't get enough Chipotle. 
  • It's true. I know things.
  • By January 1, one of us might be able to post a dirt photo on this thread.    People love photos of dirt and excavators.
This discussion has been closed.