Removing Pedestrian Islands at Eastern Parkway and Kingston — Brooklynian

Comments

• edited August 2016
    Let's not forget the differences between who uses the islands at Kingston most of the year, and those who participate in the parade. This plus "safety" = Great click bait story!

• These islands were a HUGE waste of money. If there was such a big problem with students crossing the parkway, then crossing guards could have been assigned to these two intersections.

The DOT disrupted traffic for many weeks on end with these medians and I even once observed an emergency vehicle (ambulance with siren blaring) being unable to proceed with a patient inside (presumably) because both lanes of traffic in each direction were backed up to the previous corner with the median blocking the possible movement of the vehicle. If you or your loved one were being transported to the hospital in an emergency, you would not be very happy about the DOT's ill-advised improvement. They always seem to go for the most intrusive improvement as their first step.

• morralkan said:

These islands were a HUGE waste of money. If there was such a big problem with students crossing the parkway, then crossing guards could have been assigned to these two intersections.

The DOT disrupted traffic for many weeks on end with these medians and I even once observed an emergency vehicle (ambulance with siren blaring) being unable to proceed with a patient inside (presumably) because both lanes of traffic in each direction were backed up to the previous corner with the median blocking the possible movement of the vehicle. If you or your loved one were being transported to the hospital in an emergency, you would not be very happy about the DOT's ill-advised improvement. They always seem to go for the most intrusive improvement as their first step.

Yep. A waste of money to solve a problem that didn't exist. If people can't make it across the street in time, increase the timing of the light from 15 to 20 seconds. But the reality is that people cross to the yellow and stop because they are crossing AGAINST the light. Idiots.
  • edited August 2016
    related video:

• edited August 2016
    "A December 2015 post from the Brooklynian disputes this point, stating that an audience member asked how the new, raised medians might impact the parade route."

I don't know that a conversation between Crownheighter and I has been linked by Gothamist before today  

I do STILL find it odd that the islands at Kingston Ave are a "problem", yet those between Washington and Underhill are not.

• Haha. I love it. 

My big problem is the PRINCIPLE that a DOT safety device can be taken away with no reason and with no explanation for why this decision was made. Even if there are LOTS of good reasons for why these islands don't function the way they are supposed to, the opacity of the officials in explaining this to the public just ooze backroom dealmaking. And that puts a sour taste in my mouth.
  • edited August 2016
    I find it is best not to look at local politics if I wish to avoid sour tastes.

• this is totally lame.

10 years of advocacy plus CB8 approval that suggest the medians were not a waste of money.  the waste of time AND money is forcing a community to spend 10 years fighting for some bricks in the street, then installing them for 10 months before removing them! 

crossing guards are FAR more expensive than infrastructure or other non-human solutions to poor street design. pedestrian medians don't solve everything, but they are industry standard to calm traffic and to protect pedestrians.  the data is quite clear that they help where crossings are long and traffic is fast, especially bc they help force drivers not to take turns too fast or cut them short.  

as for the ambulance situation, remind me why medians are responsible for what is actually caused by too many cars, which also fail to move out of the way of ambulances? i mean, it's a clever objection, i see it raised whenever any change is proposed that offends drivers in the slightest (see also, pedestrian plazas, bike lanes). but mysteriously nobody can ever point to an actual incident where a patient was harmed by it - i'd actually be curious to know. not that it would necessarily trump street safety, which is clearly needed here, based on the number of crashes on eastern parkway.

and don't even get me started on the messed up process here. really inexcusable, and a very good illustration as to how the DOT is much more afraid of a couple people in power being inconvenienced than they are of a few more people (kids!) dying or getting seriously injured..
  • To your point, just as there are no reports of people dying in traffic delays, the reports of pedestrians being killed while crossing with the light at these intersections are also limited. From 2009 to 13 the Utica and EP intersection reported two deaths and six injuries. This number made it number one in Brooklyn when DOT identified streets in need of traffic calming measures, but the actual numbers are pretty low given the sheer numbers of both cars and pedestrians at this intersection. This area is one of the most highly trafficked in the borough. 

Frankly, the state would be better off requiring re-examination for drivers after a certain number of years if they really wanted to reduce accidents and remove dangerous drivers from the roads. These traffic calming measures are treating the symptom and not providing a cure.
  • Missed headline opportunity:

"CITY REMOVES ISLANDS FOR THE ISLANDERS"
  • I like how the city claims it forgot about the parade, when clearly Community Board 8 was aware of such concerns and the community board is a city entity.

...except when it isn't.
  • Your tax dollars at work...

Worked has commenced at EP and Kingston to put the island back in.
  • You're kidding me.
  • You're kidding me.
    Why would I kid?? I'm serious! It would be funny if it wasn't so sad!
  • I just can't believe the stupidity of it. I really just can't. I hate this city.
  • edited November 2016
    I wonder if DOT is able to bill the work as a repair, even though they were the ones ordered to destroy them.
  • And as another year goes by and my pothole street remains a pothole street. Fun.
  • I wonder if they will remove the new island again in late August.
  • Sure they will. Why not waste a few million dollars more? Have there been more accidents since early September, when the islands were removed?
This discussion has been closed.