NYC begins a Municipal ID program - Page 2 - Brooklynian

NYC begins a Municipal ID program

2»

Comments

• edited June 2015
    I suppose they could check NYPD records and see if the number of people being arrested/stopped that have ID increases, and how many NYC IDs are among the mix.

Were they able to just give them a ticket as a result?

...as opposed to holding them until their identity could be verified.
  • Received my card today, so I waited 10-11 days. Not too bad. Only bummer is that you apparently have to go to each cultural institution to receive your membership. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the Brooklyn Museum and BBG today! 
  • Yes, you have to go and apply in person. We went to the Bronx Zoo yesterday and now we have free access to the Bronx Zoo, the Central Park Zoo, the Prospect Park Zoo, and the Aquarium in Coney Island!
  • edited June 2015
    Mine arrived today.

• Whynot, so does the membership benefits start at the time to go to the institution with your new card and sign up, or do the memberships expire at the end of 2015 regardless of when you get the card? (I'm wondering if your paperwork says?)
  • edited June 2015
    It sounds like as long as I get myself there by 12/31/2015, I get a membership that is good for that date plus the next 365 days.

• Here's what it does not do:

• Yes, you get the year long membership which starts the day you sign up for the membership.
  • That is great to know! The Brooklyn Museum and BBG were closed today, so I'll officially begin my membership sign-ups tomorrow. Though I may put it off until mid-July so that I'll have that I'll have mid-summer covered for 2016 as well. 
  • Recently received my WCS institution (Bronx Zoo, the Central Park Zoo, the Prospect Park Zoo, and the Aquarium) memberships. I also applied for the Brooklyn Museum membership, only to be told that the processing time takes 2-3 weeks! Well, I guess beggars can't be choosers, but if they think they are getting full entry payment from me in the meanwhile (still paying $0.50!), they are mistaken :)
  • In NYC, lots of people are denied the ability to open a bank account or are held by police until their identity can be verified, because they lack an identification card.  
    Earlier this month I went to Chase for a transaction. When I tried to show the NYC ID as proof of identification, I was told Chase wouldn't accept it. I was able to fulfill Chase's ID requirement in other ways, but that was a disappointment. 
  • So far, only these banks and credit unions have agreed to accept NYC ID:
    http://www1.nyc.gov/site/idnyc/benefits/banks-and-credit-unions.page
  • In NYC, lots of people are denied the ability to open a bank account or are held by police until their identity can be verified, because they lack an identification card.  

Earlier this month I went to Chase for a transaction. When I tried to show the NYC ID as proof of identification, I was told Chase wouldn't accept it. I was able to fulfill Chase's ID requirement in other ways, but that was a disappointment. 
    I'm finding that chain establishments (such as Dallas BBQ) aren't even accepting the card as proof of age for drinks. I've had no such problems with supermarkets, though. 
  • edited July 2015
    Places selling alcohol have not been told to accept it:

"The IDNYC card does not authorize cardholders to drive or provide proof of identity to obtain a driver's license. The card also does not authorize cardholders to purchase alcohol or tobacco products, receive public assistance benefits, or travel on an airplane. The IDNYC does not confer immigration status or provide work authorization."

See #26:
    http://www1.nyc.gov/site/idnyc/frequently-asked-questions/frequently-asked-questions.page

Remember, the goal is to help NYC save $.

...this goal is likely inversely correlated to making it easier for people to buy alcohol. :)
  • Makes sense, though increased alcohol consumption means increased tax revenues (sure, excessive drinking can also mean more alcohol -related incidents that the city could be on the hook for). I'm shocked that more establishments aren't fighting to have the cards available for that purpose as it would likely mean more business for them. Clearly not all establishments (or at least a certain supermarket on Washington Avenue that will go unnamed :)) haven't gotten the message. 
  • edited July 2015
    I don't know that stores are prohibited from accepting NYC ID for alcohol age verification.

Instead, I suspect NYC is attempting to keep high school students from trying to get fake IDs via NYC ID.

"We are giving you an ID so the NYPD doesn't have to detain you, not so you can use your older brothers info to get an ID under your name and get drunk"

....it tries to keep that group away from day one.

• Because we previously had a Brooklyn Museum membership, they wouldn't let us get a free one. It had to expire in 2011 or 2012. Many, many strings attached. 
  • I have used my NYC ID to get into bars several times, mostly for my own amusement because it looks like a super cheesy fake ID.
  • Because we previously had a Brooklyn Museum membership, they wouldn't let us get a free one. It had to expire in 2011 or 2012. Many, many strings attached. 
    What silliness from the Museum. If I was denied an IDNYC membership for that reason, I certainly would be less likely to pay for another membership in the future and would continue to pay my $0.50 for entry into the museum :)
  • Museums don't want to lose potential revenue, and are not the driving force behind NYC ID.

....the cultural institutions were "encouraged" to participate by one of their largest donors: NYC government.

It may be helpful for readers to think of NYC ID as having a similar a objective to this event:

• edited July 2015
    Here's a good example:

http://patch.com/new-york/ditmaspark/video-police-beat-young-man-inside-brooklyn-target

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/nypd-punch-pin-man-arrest-bklyn-target-video-article-1.2305763?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

In some of these instances, the individual does not want to provide NYPD identification because they have an outstanding warrant.    ....the individual concludes they have nothing to lose, and violence results.     NYC ID does not help here, but the "Begin Again" events may have some impact on the lease dangerous of this population.

In other instances, the individuals are not complying with police because they know that (as a result of not having ID) they will be held by police until their identity can be verified.   As a result, they conclude that they have nothing to lose, and violence results.    NYC ID could eliminate many such instances.

• Just applied for membership to the BBG. While you don't get your permanent, one-year membership card (and other benefits, such as 2 guest passes, etc.) immediately, they do give you a temporary membership card on the spot. 

Next up? Probably BAM Cinema. Although I'd stop by any place that I happen to find myself close to. 
  • BAM is done as of today. But it's going to take about 3 weeks for physical ID card to arrive. 
  • Here is more about Begin Again, the program I mentioned above that has similar objectives to NYC ID: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/amnesty-in-brooklyn

Both programs tend to:
    -drive law and order types nuts

-please policy wonks who feel the cost savings that are created by the programs are worth it.

-please people who believe NYC is over-policed uses jail excessively.

• I already have a membership to BBG so I can't use ID NYC for a free one year membership, even if my current membership were to lapse.

Today I made the long trek to the Bronx to sign up at the Bronx Zoo and at the NYBG. The Bronx Zoo have me a membership card on the spot while NYBG gave me a temporary one. NOW I can finally go to the Prospect Park Zoo down the block for free. :)

I'm waiting for the Brooklyn Museum card to come in the mail.

I'll get around to going to the Manhattan cultural institutions one day.

I already have separate BPL and NYPL cards so I don't need to use ID NYC as a library card.
  • Hmmm. sounds like some of what isn't covered by ID NYC (being able to open a bank account, etc.) is exactly what you CAN use a non-driver ID for.   I think I'll just renew my non-driver ID... it's much more useful on a practical level. 

You're right about museum attendants "shaming" people who don't automatically want to pay $20 to gain admission, but when I was much younger, I developed a thick skin and didn't care. Then I ended up working for the Brooklyn Museum (and later, part time at BBG) and happily enjoyed "reciprocal priviliges" - being an employee at one local cultural institution gets you free admission to lots of others. I'd hung onto the old work IDs for years after having moved on to other jobs, so until they started looking harder at the expiration dates (and then reformatting the logo for BBG) , I put the IDs to good use. It was particularly useful when trying to entertain my son when he was young enough to get into places free - we could spend a day at the Botanic Garden (he loved the giant koi, snapping turtles and ducks) and occasionally I could coax him into the Brooklyn Museum...
  • edited August 2015
    If you have enough "points" to get a NYS non-driver ID, that is definately the way to go.

The advantage of the NYC ID is that it provides some ID to folks who otherwise would have none.

• If you have enough "points" to get a NYS non-driver ID, that is definately the way to go.

The advantage of the NYC ID is that is provides some ID to folks who otherwise would have none.

...or not enough.

A few years ago when my mother misplaced her NYS ID, I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to get her a replacement. She was a U.S. citizen, but collecting enough documentation to meet the minimum number of points was a challenge. 
  • I wonder how many of the 700,000 already had drivers licenses or state ID but just got the card to get into the museums and other places free. I'm sure it wasn't just immigrants or undocumented folks applying for the card.
  • Indeed.

For example, one of the intended goals of the cards is to reduce the need for the NYPD to detain someone charged with a minor offense (for example, drinking in public).

Is the NYPD Pct in Corona Queens (a largely immigrant area) finding that they do not need to detain as many people to verify their identity compared to a year ago?

...are mere violations for such offense being issued instead of the costly ritual of arrest, transport, incarcerate, arraign, release?  

• Donald Trump isn't going to like this.
  • In response, DeBlasio pledges to protect the data or destroy it. 

...which makes those in favor of enforcing the present immigration laws annoyed.