Dangerous dog and dog owner in Prospect Park - Brooklynian

Dangerous dog and dog owner in Prospect Park

edited 10:01PM in Brooklyn Pets

I've heard rumors of this person's existence for a while, but a fellow dog owner has now decided to put a stop to it:

According to reports, the owner allows his pitbull mix off lease at all hours, and encourages it to attack other dogs.

He then joins his dog in the fight, by kicking the other other dog and stabbing it with an ice pick he carries.

He sometimes carries a cane or umbrella and uses it to hit the other dog and owner.

Do not confront this person. Call 911 or the 78th Pct. A warrant is out for his arrest.

Comments

• We've run into him before his ice pick days, when he just used a cane. He's mentally off and very angry and aggressive at all times. We (myself and a friend walking our dogs on leash near the lake) had a pretty rough incident one morning and I was pretty disappointed at the police response, or lack there of. I'm glad the owner whose dog encountered the ice pick has gotten the police to listen.

I didn't feel like he was encouraging his dog to fight, but he takes it off-leash everywhere and which means many encounters with dogs and his dog is very reactive. My first meeting was in an off-leash area very early in the morning. My dog was trying to play with his dog (my dog loves dogs with their balls), play bowing and bouncing around and the guy started yelling at me to control my dog and get it away. He clearly had no control of his dog (no recall, etc.) but didn't seem to want our dogs to interact and was yelling at me about how I can't control my dog. BTW, when I called my dog, he did immediately come to me.

I usually take these stories with a grain of salt, but I've seen and had several interactions with this guy and I really think he and his dog are dangerous. I go very far out of my way to avoid him when I can see him, now.

• edited March 2015

The more places we post this, the better.

I am pretty sure I came across this guy a few years ago, when he was outside the park and had his dog on a leash.

He and his dog were walking North on Washington (along the Bklyn Botanical Garden), and my dog and I were walking South.

Although we were still about 150' away from each other, he started yelling at me and threatening me with his cane: "We are going to fuck you up! We are going to fuck you up"

We crossed the street pronto. I had only heard rumors of him since.

• Thank you guys for sharing and commenting.

The police apparently apprehended the guy this morning and one of the victim-dog's owners positively IDed the suspect. Hopefully Gothamist will provide an update when more details are available.

OpossumQueen, if you filed a police report back then, it might be helpful to reach out to the 78th Precinct and remind them of your name or the report # to help them piece it together.

• that's great news!

...hopefully he will be given mental health care as well. That way he won't be as likely to continue this type of behavior once he is released.

• whynot_31 said:

Patch wrote: The owner of a pitbull that has been attacking dogs in Prospect Park for months was arrested Monday morning police said. Donnell Barden, 52, of Foster Avenue in Flatbush, was charged with animal cruelty and remains in police custody.Eric Barstad told Patch that not only was the dog attacking other dogs in the park, put the owner was as well—with an ice pick. According to Barstad, one morning in May, the pitbull ran up to the Lab/Husky mix of a friend of his and began attacking him. Then the owner caught up to the brawling dogs. But a=nd instead of separating them, he pulled out an ice pick and stabbed the Lab/Husky nine times in the shoulders. The friend filed a police report. A few weeks later, he saw the dog owner in the park and was able to point him out to cops. But the cops referred him to the 78th Precinct and did not pursue the owner. On Friday, the pitbull attacked the dog of another friend, prompting Barstad and some friends to make up a warning flyer and post it on Prospect Heights Patch as well as around the park.

http://prospectheights.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/owner-of-prospect-park-attack-dog-arrested

• edited March 2015

The pieces begin to come together:

The Daily News is reporting that the suspect Donnell Barden is actually 42, and was last in prison for Attempted Murder and Robbery, and was released in 2010.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/dog-owner-ordered-pit-bull-attack-dogs-prospect-park-police-article-1.1418289

http://nysdoccslookup.doccs.ny.gov/

• Heads up. I saw Barden today walking what looked to be the same dog on Lincoln Pl between Washington and Classon. whynot_31, I read that article you posted above and apparently he was released after making bail but is due back in court in February. Hope he can keep his mind straight until then. Though I really don't understand how he is able to walk around with his dog or any dog other dog for that matter.

• FIDO posted the info below on its Facebook page today:

FIDO has learned that, late last week, "Goldie Mack" was released to the care and custody of Donnell Barden under the stipulations of a New York State Supreme Court order addressing petitions filed by the Brooklyn District Attorney early in September.

As many of our members will recall, Mr. Barden gained some notoriety late this summer where he encouraged his dog to gravely injure other dogs in Prospect Park as well as menace their owners. Mr. Barden was arrested early in August, remains free on bail and will be arraigned on charges of aggravated animal cruelty, menacing, harassment, and criminal possession of a weapon on October 15.

In part, the court orders that Mr. Darnell must:

1. keep "Goldie Mack" humanely confined while on his premises in a manner

to prevent the dog's escape into public places,

2. at all times and in any public place, keep the dog restrained on a leash of

suitable tensile strength, no more than 6 feet long, and muzzled. This applies

even in places where off-leash allowances may be in effect.

3. ensure that no minor be permitted to handle Goldie Mack, and should

Mr. Barden place "Goldie Mack" in the custody or care of another person

who then loses control of the dog or otherwise causes a violation of the court's

stipulation, Mr. Barden remains wholly responsible and accountable.

4. license the dog, keep the license current and keep the license tag on the dog.

5. agree to microchipping "Goldie Mack"

In correspondence with me, Deputy District Attorney Dianne Malone wrote:

For a negotiated settlement, I think it’s a good resolution; it avoided

a protracted hearing with the need to call your members to court to

testify; the risk of a dismissal of the entire matter (unlikely but

still a possibility), and gave me more than the basic of what I really

needed – he needs to keep the dog on a leash with a muzzle when in

public, to reduce the opportunity for another unnecessary dog fight and

possible injury to a person.

Obviously, it depends on Mr. Barden’s adherence to the order, but that

is where FIDO members can assist me, by keeping an eye open – as they

would anyway – for an uncontrolled dog and reporting to PEP and the

KCDA, any sighting of Mr. Barden without a leash and/or muzzle. If he

violates, then the dog can be seized, held, and he will be tried for

contempt of court.

FIDO in Prospect Park has a deep and abiding respect for the American justice system and appreciates the constant struggle the court has in striking a balance between public safety and individual liberty. Until Mr. Barden "has his day," the court cannot, in any way direct or indirect, trammel on his civil rights.

That said, I cannot help but express my dismay that, once again, we are advising our members to keep a lookout for Mr. Barden. For those of us who so enjoy the park with our dogs, vigilance remains key -- has that been any different? If anyone sees Mr. Barden -- or anyone for that matter -- creating a dangerous situation with their dog, it is a 911 matter. In Mr. Barden's particular case, muzzle, short leash, and exemplary behavior is the rule of the court, and should any one out there observe differently, it becomes a matter to bring up with Park Enforcement Patrol (Sgt Fisher, 718-437-1350) who have been advised and have a copy of the court order, and the Kings County District Attorney's Office (Deputy District Attorney Dianne Malone 718.250.2235).

• edited March 2015
    There was reportedly a sighting of this same man with his cane/weapon today.

Two dogs with him, neither muzzled.

The Parks Dept, FIDO, etc are all aware. Be alert...

• Why isn't there a stakeout for this character ??
  • edited March 2015
    A large % of the people who walk their dogs in the park read FIDO.   So, I suspect word will spread pretty quickly:    https://www.facebook.com/FIDOBrooklyn?fref=nf

As before, people who are injured or threatened by him will be encouraged to file police reports.

He served 17 years in prison and "maxed out" in 2010, meaning that he is not under parole supervision:
    http://nysdoccslookup.doccs.ny.gov/GCA00P00/WIQ3/WINQ130

So, he is as free as the rest of us:  The police have to have a significant new offense to charge him with to incarcerate him.   

There really is no feasible way to prevent someone who is not incarcerated from having a large, untrained, unfixed dog.  

Here is his photo:  http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/dog-owner-ordered-pit-bull-attack-dogs-prospect-park-police-article-1.1418289
  • Sounds like it might be that guy. Same M.O. Wonder if he carried a cane or stick. Guess we'll have to wait and see what the surveillance cameras picked up.
  • I've lived in the neighborhood for several years now and this is the first I've heard of these attacks. As a dog owner I find this very alarming. My dog and I were on our regular evening walk on Tuesday and I saw this teen with her dog and two friends chatting on the stoop of a bldg on eastern parkway likely shortly before this happened. Being so close to where this attack happened I feel the need to spread the word. If anyone finds more info on what this man and his dogs look like please post it here. it does sound like the same guy as before, but better to have more facts first.
  • As per another feed:

Guys his name is DONNELL BARDEN - DOG STABBER - BACK IN PROSPECT PARK
    He now has 2 light brown pit bulls. He carries an aluminium cane. He's probably hiding an ice pick inside it, so please do not confront him. Dogs were not wearing muzzle. The guy has this strange look on his face, he's clearly unbalanced (see picture attached).

Please forward to your friends and acquaintances, especially other dog owners.

The Short of it...
    Donnell Barden has regained custody of his dog from Animal Care & Control. There are a lot of restrictions and if any are violated, he loses the dog and will be held in contempt of court. For the safety of dogs and their owners who frequent Prospect Park and beyond, should you witness Mr Barden violating any of the below conditions, call Park Enforcement at: 718-437-1350; also let the Park Supervisor know at: 718-965-6606 ext 307. They have been alerted already to expect your call. Finally pen an email to Deputy DA Mallone herself at: MALONED@BrooklynDA.org

The Long of it....

FIDO has learned that, late last week, "Goldie Mack" was released to the care and custody of Donnell Barden under the stipulations of a New York State Supreme Court order addressing petitions filed by the Brooklyn District Attorney early in September.

As many of our members will recall, Mr. Barden gained some notoriety late this summer where he encouraged his dog to gravely injure other dogs in Prospect Park as well as menace their owners. Mr. Barden was arrested early in August, remains free on bail and will be arraigned on charges of aggravated animal cruelty, menacing, harassment, and criminal possession of a weapon on October 15.

In part, the court orders that Mr. Darnell must:

1. keep "Goldie Mack" humanely confined while on his premises in a manner
    to prevent the dog's escape into public places,
    2. at all times and in any public place, keep the dog restrained on a leash of
    suitable tensile strength, no more than 6 feet long, and muzzled. This applies
    even in places where off-leash allowances may be in effect.
    3. ensure that no minor be permitted to handle Goldie Mack, and should
    Mr. Barden place "Goldie Mack" in the custody or care of another person
    who then loses control of the dog or otherwise causes a violation of the court's
    stipulation, Mr. Barden remains wholly responsible and accountable.
    4. license the dog, keep the license current and keep the license tag on the dog.
    5. agree to microchipping "Goldie Mack"

In correspondence with me, Deputy District Attorney Dianne Malone wrote:

For a negotiated settlement, I think it’s a good resolution; it avoided
    a protracted hearing with the need to call your members to court to
    testify; the risk of a dismissal of the entire matter (unlikely but
    still a possibility), and gave me more than the basic of what I really
    needed – he needs to keep the dog on a leash with a muzzle when in
    public, to reduce the opportunity for another unnecessary dog fight and
    possible injury to a person.

Obviously, it depends on Mr. Barden’s adherence to the order, but that
    is where FIDO members can assist me, by keeping an eye open – as they
    would anyway – for an uncontrolled dog and reporting to PEP and the
    KCDA, any sighting of Mr. Barden without a leash and/or muzzle. If he
    violates, then the dog can be seized, held, and he will be tried for
    contempt of court.

FIDO in Prospect Park has a deep and abiding respect for the American justice system and appreciates the constant struggle the court has in striking a balance between public safety and individual liberty. Until Mr. Barden "has his day," the court cannot, in any way direct or indirect, trammel on his civil rights.

That said, I cannot help but express my dismay that, once again, we are advising our members to keep a lookout for Mr. Barden. For those of us who so enjoy the park with our dogs, vigilance remains key -- has that been any different? If anyone sees Mr. Barden -- or anyone for that matter -- creating a dangerous situation with their dog, it is a 911 matter. In Mr. Barden's particular case, muzzle, short leash, and exemplary behavior is the rule of the court, and should any one out there observe differently, it becomes a matter to bring up with Park Enforcement Patrol (Sgt Fisher, 718-437-1350) who have been advised and have a copy of the court order, and the Kings County District Attorney's Office (Deputy District Attorney Dianne Malone 718.250.2235).