Wegmans Comes to Brooklyn - Brooklynian

Wegmans Comes to Brooklyn

To the Navy Yard area.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/nyregion/wegmans-to-open-at-brooklyn-navy-yard.html?ref=nyregion&smid=fb-nytmetro&smtyp=cur

I'm between horrified and awed. I really like Wegmans. And the area desperately needs a good, quality, affordable source of groceries. But my hometown had a Wegmans. I moved away from all that 11 years ago.

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Wegman's coming to NYC? I'm like

(Small voice: I just wish it were a little closer.)

Fairway vs. Wegman's would be interesting. 
  • This made my day! I loved Wegmans when I was in Ithaca and look forward to seeing how this location turns out. 
  • I kind of wish Wegman's was coming to the Bedford Union Armory.
  • That would be nice. 
  • More evidence of the suburbanization of NYC. 
  • Associated on Nostrand will be history in a few years, and it would not surprise me if Western Beef on Empire disappeared as well.

So, yea, a Wegman's in the Bedford Union Armory could probably pay the rent.

...but I don't see it as being in the cards.

• edited May 2015
    @whynot_31, I'd love to see TJ's or Wegman's take over the Western Beef lot. Western Beef had taken over that spot from a previous tenant (a supermarket) that had failed. (Shortly before that failed supermarket was another short-lived supermarket.) 

That's my dream. I'd rather see activists fight for that as opposed to trying to block a rezoning study. A decent supermarket for all!  :) 
  • edited May 2015
    Some of Western Beef's locations are much nicer than "ours" on Empire.

It would not surprise me if they invested some money in the store to maximize its return while they await the best time to sell it.
  • edited May 2015
    Wow. The last Wegmans I went to was in Binghamton, NY.    But, there is quite a large parcel of land on Troy and Schnectady Avenues. I would love if a large supermarket would pop up there. 
  • Wegmans is a fantastic supermarket. It is the top-rated supermarket chain in the country. I used to shop at the Wegmans in Pittsford, NY, just outside of Rochester.
  • Just as a point of interest, I heard a report on Bloomberg yesterday that stated that Whole Foods was starting a lower priced chain because people think they're too expensive so maybe they'll open up in this area.
  • I would hope so. I really like Wholefoods, but do not shop there often because of their prices. 
  • Wegmans also has a good reputation as an employer... 200 full time jobs coming.
  • Wow. The last Wegmans I went to was in Binghamton, NY.    But, there is quite a large parcel of land on Troy and Schnectady Avenues. I would love if a large supermarket would pop up there. 
    Where is this parcel of land?
  • Wegmans also has a good reputation as an employer... 200 full time jobs coming.
    Plus, they are going to exclusively interview residents of the nearby housing projects for a week before opening up the interviewing to others! As unemployment there is so high, this can only be good news! 
  • Well, if Wegman's is going to make a good faith effort to bring jobs to the community and recruit from the community, this sounds like a good idea.
  • edited May 2015
    IKEA and Fairway were able to come to Red Hook as a result of making similar assurances.

A journalist could write a pretty interesting follow-up piece on whether the unemployed members of the community applied for the positions, were qualified for them, and then remained in them after -say- a year.

Regardless of whether such a piece is ever written, I think it is safe to say there are certainly more "entry level jobs" there then before they opened.
  • I'm really thrilled they will be offering low-income area residents the first dibs on the available jobs. Is Wegmans's unionized?
  • @southeast - Sorry, it's Crown and Troy.  Next to a big condo building
  • edited May 2015
    @ldarippa - That lot is owned buy the same people who built the big condo building next door. My understanding is that it is intended to be rentals. I also don't think that particular location is best suited for a large supermarket that isn't primarily kosher.