Wholesome Foods is coming to Crown Heights -- Nostrand and Atlantic Ave - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wholesome Foods is coming to Crown Heights -- Nostrand and Atlantic Ave

"Neighborhoods change slowly, one building at a time. Wholesome Foods, a high end grocery, signed a 15-year lease to take 2,700 square feet at 1306 Atlantic Avenue in Crown Heights. The company will pay rent of $65 per square foot, a sharp increase over the $20 per square foot paid by the previous tenant, a dollar store. Joe Robinson of Eastern Consolidated represented the landlord, named as Nostrand Atlantic Holdings LLC in public records. Commercial tenants in Crown Heights have paid about $30 per square foot. “But as we see more development in the neighborhood, landlords are taking notice that they can bring in upscale tenants and increase the value of the rental apartments above,” Robinson told the Wall Street Journal. “Sixty-five dollars per square foot… that’s where the market is now.” Wholesome Foods runs another location in Prospect Lefferts Garden at 534 Flatbush Avenue. [WSJ] — Ariel Stulberg -"

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/12/14/wholesome-foods-no-not-whole-foods-to-replace-dollar-store-in-crown-heights/

Comments

• BROOKLYN

An Upscale Grocery for Crown Heights

A high-end grocery store is replacing a dollar store in a Brooklyn neighborhood that’s seen an influx of residential and retail development.

Wholesome Foods signed a 15-year, 2,700-square-foot lease at 1306 Atlantic Ave., on the corner of Nostrand Ave., in Crown Heights. Wholesome Foods is paying $65 a square foot, as opposed to $20 paid by the dollar store.

Joe Robinson of Eastern Consolidated represented the landlord, Nostrand Atlantic Holdings Inc. “The landlord was initially looking for a bank tenant, but I didn’t think that’s what the neighborhood needed,” said Mr. Robinson, who noted that it only took about one month to secure the grocery tenant.

Wholesome Foods, which has another outpost in Brooklyn’s Prospect Lefferts Gardens, will offer gourmet groceries, beverages, fruits, vegetables and prepared foods. It should open this spring after a gut renovation, according to Mr. Robinson. A representative from declined to comment.

Mr. Robinson said that long-term commercial tenants in Crown Heights have paid around $30 a square foot. “But as we see more development in the neighborhood, landlords are taking notice that they can bring in upscale tenants and increase the value of the rental apartments above,” he said.

“Sixty-five dollars per square foot... that’s where the market is now,” he said.

—Emily Nonko

• imagePhoto of 1306 Atlantic.
  • Goodbye Dollar store.
  • Wow! will compete with the new Blueberry Farm across the street.

• edited December 2015
    Nostrand LIRR is becoming a real thing, with rider$ coming home from work, and all of the residents of Crown Heights North...

• edited January 2016

"Eastern Consolidated’s Retail Leasing Division has arranged a 10-year, 2,700 s/f lease at $65 psf for Wholesome Foods at the corner of Atlantic and Nostrand Avenues in Crown Heights.

Photo by Thomas Williams/ Flickr

Photo by Thomas Williams/ Flickr

The property at 1306 Atlantic Avenue was previously leased to a 99 Cent store for about $20 psf. Joe Robinson, Senior Director of the Retail Leasing Division for Eastern Consolidated, represented the landlord, Nostrand Atlantic Holdings Inc. Alexandra Rossland, Associate Director of Investment Sales, was the referring agent. Robinson procured the tenant, Wholesome Foods.

When Wholesome Foods opens in the spring of 2016 following a gut renovation, it will offer gourmet groceries, beverages, fruits and vegetables, and prepared foods.

Robinson noted that the gourmet market could be the catalyst that brings upscale retail to Nostrand Avenue in the same way that new restaurants and markets have transformed Franklin Avenue."

source

• edited February 2016
    Work is now underway to convert it image image
  • The future should look very much like this:

• Needless to say, this place did not open in the "Spring of 2016", but I was recently able to get a peek inside this place, and construction is moving along nicely.

I'm going to predict they open in August.

• This store will draw customers fr both sides of Atlantic which is great for everyone
  • edited August 2016
    Based on what I saw today, they are pretty close to being done. Revised estimate: October. image image image
  • Interior getting final touches

• Shelving is now in place.   It looks like they could begin stocking it by Dec 1.
  • I'm near the one in PLG a ton. It's great for a quick and cheap salad/sandwich/omelette
  • Non perishables are now being stocked and outside signage is up.

• edited December 2016
    Grand Opening planned for Jan 2nd.

It seems we have a loyal reader who writes for the Patch.
  • Looks close to opening.  Someone spelled delivery wrong above the main entrance though.IMG_20170104_083742090
  • edited January 9
    My wife and I stopped in here last night. We were super excited to check it out but left really disappointed. They are extremely overpriced. The basmati rice we usually pick up at the grocery store for $5.99 was $8.89. I don't mind paying a few cents extra, but almost 3 dollars? Nope. Everything else was anywhere from 20 cents to 2 dollars more. Other than that, they had some great items, stuff you'd find at Fairway or Whole Foods. The deli had cold cuts, pre made paninis, deli salads etc and that was fairly priced but everything else wasn't.
  • This is an upscale boutique grocery convenience store.

It is not really competing with large stores.
  • Good luck to them. It was busy when I went in there. Walked out and went to Blueberry Farm instead
  • I went over weekend too.  SUPER overpriced.  Like more expensive than Whole Foods plus the gas and inconvenience of getting there...

• I have to say -- it's well stocked with stuff I want to eat/drink.  Except beer, unfortunately.  I went in and bought a bunch of things, didn't seem overpriced to me.  Also, it's convenient that it's near the A train stop for when you're on your way home.  Like it.  
  • Yes Expensive, but worth having in the neighborhood, especially for the prepared food and salads.  So Great to have on the way home.  They have expensive rent so the prices need to be high.  Nobody is forcing you to shop there. Went to a community board 8 meeting and they were discussing a fresh foods store being opened by the Union Market people. (more complexifications on that) on Bedford and Lincoln Place (?) and the incredible amount of stumbling blocks people were trying to throw in their path was sick.  11 long years I've lived here and had sub par stores, and I've had to leave the neighborhood to get what I wanted.  Its great it finally get something better.

• @tsarina, can you talk more about the Union Market meeting? I'm eager to hear what people were saying and what the objections are. 
  • edited January 15
    Some people do not like the "FRESH Program", which (in exchange for hosting a grocery store) will allow the developers of 1519 Bedford to build 11 Stories instead of 8.    I believe they are trying to argue that Union Market is an upscale market, and the zoning is intended to reward developers in low income neighborhoods to host a chain like Fine Fare.

• @crownheightster, (how does that work to get it tagged?)  The lawyers were there for the architects, to get some kind of approval before something else had to happen.  (I am not tyhe best source of information)  The talk at the community board was how affordable the food store would be. will there be west indian food?  how to limit the prices so that everyone can afford to shop there.  What were they going to say to the union market people to make sure everything was affordable for everyone.  Princess Jones finally stood up and said she belonged to the PSFC and organic food was expensive there, also at the Key food.  And if you wanted quality food it was going to cost money.  This sort of put the kibosh on further talk.  Community board people explained that the lawyer was there for the architects not the Union market people. All very frustrating. 
  • Very interesting. I'm glad Princess stood up and said something. 
  • whynot_31 said: Some people do not like the "FRESH Program", which (in exchange for hosting a grocery store) will allow the developers of 1519 Bedford to build 11 Stories instead of 8.    I believe they are trying to argue that Union Market is an upscale market, and the zoning is intended to reward developers in low income neighborhoods to host a chain like Fine Fare.
    http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44338/goodbye-huge-epbedford-car-wash-and-gas-station Union Market
    is upscale. Some of its items are more expensive than those in Whole Foods. 
  • this will not be a union market,run by the same people, but different marketing plan. my complaint is that having lived here for eleven years, during which franklin ave was a desolate strip of streets, and there were no places to go or shop to get  the things that appealed to me, It was always a schlep to go to the coop or another neighborhood.  And now that there are other people with means that can sustain a better market, it seems that every impediment is thrown in front of it.  Western Crown Heights isnt such a low income neighborhood.  There are plenty of middle class black families that would and could shop there.  I was in Wholesome foods last night, and it certainly wasnt all white gentrifiers.  
  • I agree, if the purpose of the legislation was to address "food deserts" (wherein single mothers presently struggle to purchase fresh veggies with their limited EBT funds from the local bodega), leasing to a Union Market in an area where condos routinely sell for more than $900 PSF doesn't match the intent.

Are those intentions codified in the regs to the degree that such a use is prohibited?

....time will tell.
  • In Manhattan, some politicians are trying to waive the taxes of supermarkets they deem affordable: