The Repurposing of the Armory at Bedford and UNION - Page 5 - Brooklynian

The Repurposing of the Armory at Bedford and UNION

1235»

Comments

• Nothing's perfect!  
  • edited November 2016
    That daylight shading analysis is severely warped. It doesn't truly show how Union Street will be in darkness most of the time due to the massive residential building. As it is right now, the roof of the armory blocks most of the sunlight to the West side of the block.
  • edited November 2016
    In a move I perceive as obvious, BFC partners has almost given away rental space to one of Crown Heights' most popular community organizations: the West Indian Day Carnival Association. 

Suddenly, the project is again "community serving" and -um- "black". Critics: the ball is now in your court. 

Um, good luck.
  • BFC now has money, EDC and "community support"

Now it just needs a big developer that is smart enough to have a POC as spokesperson, to silence the MWBE folks.

5-4-3-2-.....
  • I like the Art Deco towers in the CHSA powerpoint.
  • edited November 2016
    I like how they look, but they don't create a lot of livable square footage.

...and therefore income.

As a general rule, tenants are quite concerned with square footage, this will be a rental building that needs a solid income stream that might subsidize the rec center.

So, I'd like a "ugly" boring, big box building, please.
  • Seems there was a big shooting right by the armory last night. Looks like folks are doing there best to literally resist gentrification.
  • jong said:
    Seems there was a big shooting right by the armory last night. Looks like folks are doing there best to literally resist gentrification.
    Are you suggestion the shooting was part of a conspiracy to resist gentrification?
  • nope. but folks worried about rapid gentrification should keep in mind (dog crap everywhere, abundant litter, loud car stereos constantly, open drug dealing, shootings) that conditions in the area will continue naturally deter some folks from moving in. as long as the people involved in criminal activity continue to be in the area committing crimes, gentrification will proceed more slowly than it would if they weren't doing so - these are facts
  • edited November 2016
    If recent history is reliable, the forces of social change (aka gentrification or migration) are so strong that they will overwhelm such conditions.

Those who shy away from an area as a result of such conditions, are merely replaced by those who are not, as well as those who view the conditions as temporary.

The armory will do its part by serving whoever has the right combination of cash and power.
  • What was the big shooting last night? Not seeing anything about a shooting in the usual places.
  • edited November 2016
    I saw this repot of shots fired at Bedford and Montgomery, but no one was reportedly injured.

• edited November 2016
    jong said:
    nope. but folks worried about rapid gentrification should keep in mind (dog crap everywhere, abundant litter, loud car stereos constantly, open drug dealing, shootings) that conditions in the area will continue naturally deter some folks from moving in. as long as the people involved in criminal activity continue to be in the area committing crimes, gentrification will proceed more slowly than it would if they weren't doing so - these are facts
    I respectfully disagree. 

1. The dog crap is not as abundant as it was years ago. Case in point - Carroll Street on both sides of the Shuttle tracks. 

2. Re:" gentrification will proceed more slowly than it would if they weren't doing so" If that were the case, gentrification would not be talked about so much now whether here, on the FB groups, in the media, or even in academic discourse. Places like Starbucks would not have moved in to Eastern Parkway and Franklin Avenue five years ago. (That Starbucks opened two years ago, by the way.) That is a fact.

• 1. it depends street by street. go look at Montgomery between Bedford and Flatbush, north side. It's horrifying

2. that's ridiculous. Real estate agents have told me that folks seeing the news of stabbings and shootings, checking in with the precinct, are sometimes turned off from moving to the area. Some people don't care, as Whynot says, some do.
  • jong said:
    1. it depends street by street. go look at Montgomery between Bedford and Flatbush, north side. It's horrifying

Do you mean Montgomery between Bedford and Washington? Franklin? Montgomery doesn't go through to Flatbush because it ends at Washington.
  • Returning the armory, Bedford Courts has decided it will never again be accused of not benefitting the community. Not only has it formed an alliance with WIADCA, it is now sponsoring events where the local activist types are bound to be present.

• Ooo, partnering with Geoff Davis and First Baptist? Hard to stop that machine...
  • This is a serious throwdown
  • edited November 2016
    I don't know to what degree this represents an actual "ongoing partnership" between First Baptist and Bedford Courts.

But, yes, it is fun to see both sides play the "we represent the ACTUAL community" card.

There is rarely love between Diane Richards and Mr Davis, and this is no exception.
  • Ooo, partnering with Geoff Davis and First Baptist? Hard to stop that machine...

What does anyone have against First Bsptist?
  • I don't have anything against it. I was just noting that it interesting that BFC is co-sponsoring an event with them. First Baptist is arguably the most powerful church in Central Brooklyn, a real seat of power for the Democratic party in Brooklyn.  And Geoff Davis and the legacy of James E. Davis loom large. BFC is making a power move along with First Baptist. 
  • edited November 2016
    I wonder which entity Mr Davis approached first: BFC or First Baptist?
  • Am I missing something?  How is BFC is involved in this event?  Bedford Courts and BFC are two very separate things.

And what is WIADCA?
  • WIADCA = http://wiadcacarnival.org

BFC is the developer behind the thin veneer known as Bedford Courts. 

• Geez I didn't realize Bedford Courts was BFC.  Thought Bedford Courts was Carmelo Anthony's organization - since disbanded.  They co-opted the name?

Wondering also if this is the case, seems they're all in bed with each other and this rec center will actually get built?!
  • BFC recruited, and then lost Carmelo Anthony.

BFC will build the rec center if the housing is "allowed to be" profitable enough..   

If "the community proponents" force BFC to only build unprofitable/affordable housing, then nothing will be be built because their won't be a large enough $ to allow for profit and subsidize the rec center.

The rec center won't happen without a subsidy. 

• edited January 5
    Some more press...  I'm not sure who the Editors at Crains are but I know they share the same ideas about Empire boulevard as others in the community pushing for re-zoning.

• Note, the term "environment" is not defined. Hence, the scoping study does not have to focus on what the opponents of this project seem primarily focused on, "gentrification contagion"

Quote:

Positive Declaration and Public Scoping

Kings County (Brooklyn) - The New York City Office of the Deputy Mayor for Housing and Economic Development, as lead agency, has determined that the proposed Bedford Union Armory Project may have a significant adverse impact on the environment and a Draft Environmental Impact Statement must be prepared. Written comments on the draft scope will be accepted until February 10, 2017. A public scoping session will be held on January 26, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the Dr. Gladstone H. Atwell M.S. 061, 400 Empire Boulevard, Brooklyn, NY 11225.

The New York City Economic Development Corporation, in coordination with Bedford Courts LLC, is seeking a series of discretionary approvals to facilitate the redevelopment of the historic Bedford Union Armory located at 1555 Bedford Avenue in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York into an approximately 542,393 gross square feet three building mixed-use development. Specifically, the redevelopment would result in approximately 390 residential dwelling units (DUs), including approximately 177 affordable DUs; up to 48,997 gross square feet of office space; up to 18,122 gross square feet of academic space; approximately 72,252 gross square feet of community facility space; and a minimum of 118 parking spaces. Should the 18,122 gross square feet of academic space be determined infeasible, 25 additional DUs (including 14 affordable DUs) would be incorporated into the Proposed Development in lieu of the 18,122 gross square feet of academic space.
    The Applicant is seeking discretionary approvals including the disposition of City-owned property, zoning map and text amendments, and special permits to facilitate the Proposed Development. The analysis build year for this project is 2020.

Contact: Esther Brunner, New York City Office of the Deputy Mayor for Housing and Economic Development, 253 Broadway, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10007, Phone: (212) 6763203, E-mail: ebrunner@cityhall.nyc.gov.
  • edited January 10
    The views of the local politicians have not changed:
    http://www.kingscountypolitics.com/elected-officials-op-ed-public-owned-bedford-armory-100-affordable/

They seem to have decided it is in their best interests to lose while asking for more.

If they get to choose between a rec center and non-subsidized housing, I suspect we'd get subsidized housing and a usually closed, unrenovated rec center.
  • NY1 interviews the politicians:

http://fw.to/2PicwB
  • Meeting tonight at Medgar Evans 6:30pm!
  • here's a video of the meeting.  https://cmlauriecumbo.wordpress.com/2017/02/08/recap-status-update-on-the-bedford-union-armory-part-1/ ;

sounds like there is some awesome programming planned for the space.  as expected there was some fireworks from some members of the community.  around 37:30 in someone asks alicia to settle down.  is that alicia boyd of the mtopp?  some good stuff in her airbnb profile...https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/4937803 (sunny personality, plugging barclays center, travels to bali). 

i'm really starting to lose the train of the opposition -- it seems like she wants the programming to be free for community members.  seems very disingenuous to insist on 100% affordable housing and then ask if all the programming and space will be free.  it's also really frustrating that the presenters aren't even able to get through their presentations.  per his intro (in case you don't sit through the whole thing) the gentleman who was being repeatedly interrupted is from the boys and girls club of new rochelle and has been working with BFC to help with youth programming at the armory.  i understand fighting about affordability levels and job creation, etc, but i'm really at a loss as to how someone who actually cares about the community can get all up in bunch over providing low cost enrichment opportunities to kids -- what is her problem?  
  • edited February 16
    We now return to the approval process. The next step, "scoping" takes place on March 7th.

Positive Declaration and Public Scoping (Rescheduled) Kings County (Brooklyn) - The New York City Office of the Deputy Mayor for Housing and Economic Development, as lead agency, has determined that the proposed Bedford Union Armory Project may have a significant adverse impact on the environment and a Draft Environmental Impact Statement must be prepared. A public scoping session has been rescheduled for March 7, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the Ebbets Field Middle School 352, 46 McKeever Place, Brooklyn, NY 11225. Written comments on the draft scope will now be accepted until March 17, 2017. The New York City Economic Development Corporation, in coordination with Bedford Courts LLC, is seeking a series of discretionary approvals to facilitate the redevelopment of the historic Bedford Union Armory located at 1555 Bedford Avenue in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York, into an approximately 542,393 gross square foot three-building mixed-use development. Specifically, the redevelopment would result in approximately 390 residential dwelling units (DUs), including approximately 177 affordable DUs; up to 48,997 gross square foot of office space; up to 18,122 gross square foot of academic space; approximately 72,252 gross square foot of community facility space; and a minimum of 118 parking spaces. Should the 18,122 gross square foot of academic space be determined infeasible, 25 additional DUs (including 14 affordable DUs) would be incorporated into the Proposed Development in lieu of the 18,122 gross square foot of academic space. The Applicant is seeking discretionary approvals including the disposition of City-owned property, zoning map and text amendments, and special permits to facilitate the Proposed Development. The analysis build year for this project is 2020. Contact: Esther Brunner, New York City Office of the Deputy Mayor for Housing and Economic Development, 253 Broadway, 14th Floor, New York, NY 10007, Phone: (212) 676-3203, E-mail: ebrunner@cityhall.nyc.gov.