What else? - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What else?

I've been in this neighborhood for a while now, I'm proud to call Crown Heights my home. I love seeing all that has changed and progressed throughout my tenure here. Franklin ave transforming before my eyes and now Nostrand catching up. I keep hearing about supermarkets (bigger chains) and restaurants coming in. All this and I wonder, what else? What else is coming? What do we not have here that we need? What do we want in the neighborhood? Random thought I had walking around over the weekend taking advantage of the beautiful weather. I'm curious to see where this area goes, is it going to be another Williamsburg, which is becoming home to more and more chain stores and bigger brands. Just wondering if anyone thinks about this stuff like I do and what your opinions might be.

Comments

• I do not believe the area is under enough financial pressure to make it as wealthy as present day Brooklyn Heights.

Over the next few years, I expect many (if not all) of the businesses to change to the meet the area's means and preferences.

I don't expect to see a lot of retail as a result of Amazon.
  • whynot_31,

Good of you to wander around and wonder.

Capitalism moves in often strange -- but strangely predictable -- ways.  Crown Heights will become what developers want it to be.

Worst case, you can always join us in Red Hook -- where things (thankfully!) never change.

Russell

• Just about everything that relies on the local economy will change in response to the changing market conditions.

The city's businesses and amenities in the 1970s and 1980s reflected the falling incomes, decreasing wealth and rising crime of the period.

...the present period is a reflection of a massive influx of wealth and income, as well as a falling crime rate.

Some will benefit more than others. Some won't benefit at all. Some will lose.
  • It would be nice to have a coffee shop on Kingston (north of Eastern Parkway). 

I'm curious to know what is going to happen once the building on Kingston and Bergen is completed. Can't tell if they're doing stuff on the first floor now or what! The garage-ish building a little east of Kingston is for rent now, too.

• I think about the original question a good bit. I think what the neighborhood could really use is a great (full-size) grocery store, like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Wagman's, each of which has or will soon have a new location in other areas of Brooklyn.

I know there is a Union Market coming to Bedford and EP, but I'm feel like Union Market is more like an extra large corner Deli than it is a super-size grocery.
  • I'd love a bakery - there's lots of options for sweets on Vanderbilt (I know that's technically not CH) and I just want a fresh baguette!
  • Rick656 said:
    I think about the original question a good bit. I think what the neighborhood could really use is a great (full-size) grocery store, like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Wagman's, each of which has or will soon have a new location in other areas of Brooklyn. I know there is a Union Market coming to Bedford and EP, but I'm feel like Union Market is more like an extra large corner Deli than it is a super-size grocery.
    A larger grocery store with reasonable prices would be AMAZING. Superfood town is okay. It kills me that plain yogurt is so expensive in this neighborhood (a small gripe, I know, but it all adds up) -- Wholesome food is selling yogurt for over 5$! Super food town isn't much better. I just wish I didn't have to get myself all the way down to Trader Joe's to get decent prices on most of my daily groceries. 
  • Hmm, specifically on Nostrand between Eastern Parkway and Atlantic...I'd like a bagel store (like Bagel Pub on Franklin); a classic diner-type restaurant where I can take the toddler for grilled cheese and pancakes; a thai restaurant; some more options for women's clothes and shoe shopping; a housewares store that is not a dollar store; a package store like Lincoln postal for mailing packages/getting postal/shipping supplies. 

Would just love more sit-down restaurants in general. 

When the Black Lady Theater is finished, that will be phenomenal if there are performances and shows happening on Nostrand. Would certainly feed people into the local restaurants, bars, cafes. 

Would love a Trader Joe's somewhere in the neighborhood. We have a really fantastic Foodtown at Brooklyn Ave and Fulton. 
  • Agree with all that and thought of another. We could really use a good gym! There is crow hill cross fit on dean and franklin, which I go to and love (and there are small yoga places) but we could also use a reasonably priced standard big gym like crunch or blink or Nysc even.
  • There's a blink on Fulton now!
  • SoCro literally needs everything. tks
  • srcon346 said:

There's a blink on Fulton now!

There's a planet fitness up on Fulton too, but that's do or die bedstuy, not CH.
  • There's a Blink on Utica also.
  • Yeah, but the Blink on Utica is super far away from the Nostrand sphere of influence...
  • Yeah, but the Blink on Utica is super far away from the Nostrand sphere of influence...
    Yes, but Utica is Crown Heights.  And the original poster did not specify that they were only talking about the area directly around Nostrand.
  • Rick656 said:
    There's a blink on Fulton now!
    There's a planet fitness up on Fulton too, but that's do or die bedstuy, not CH.
    Truuuueeeee but still. It's so damned close! It's right across the street from Super Food Town.  
  • edited February 22
    Rick656 said:
    I think about the original question a good bit. I think what the neighborhood could really use is a great (full-size) grocery store, like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Wagman's, each of which has or will soon have a new location in other areas of Brooklyn. I know there is a Union Market coming to Bedford and EP, but I'm feel like Union Market is more like an extra large corner Deli than it is a super-size grocery.
    Union Market is more expensive than Whole Foods.

I think an Aldi would be a better fit for the area now than a Trader Joe's. 

The Associated on Franklin and Crown is a full-sized grocery store.
  • Aldi does have super cheap prices, but it lacks the name brands and organic selections that many wealthy shoppers desire. ...especially young, single ones

In 2025 they may be a really large group in western Crown Heights.

Too large to not cater to.
  • "Young, single, wealthy shoppers" is also a demographic that I see changing over the years. It's my belief that a lot of young college grads aren't really thinking about saving and investing in the future. And I can see future generations not having the same disposable money that the current does. Though this isn't a blanket statement on everyone. But I do believe things will shift from the current "gourmet" shoppers, into more of a "thrifty" average shopper. Plus, things like Amazon Fresh and Fresh Direct are giving groceries a run for their money.
  • The housing stock that is being constructed seems to largely cater to young renters without children and without a lot of furniture.

The average tenant might stay around 3 years before moving on.

Seamless and Fresh Direct and Amazon Freah will often be their choice when they eat at home.

...but they will eat out a lot.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/47007/the-big-18-developments-in-western-crown-heights-whynot-31-wont-stop-talking-about
  • A mid level gym (better than planet fitness, but under 100$ per month) that's located, say, on the ground floor of one of the big buildings on Bedford just north of the parkway, would be a big game changer for me. Im right off Franklin on Sterling, and there's just nothing around here. There are options in almost any direction, in a 15 minute walk, but nothing around here. 
  • A mid level gym (better than planet fitness, but under 100$ per month) that's located, say, on the ground floor of one of the big buildings on Bedford just north of the parkway, would be a big game changer for me. Im right off Franklin on Sterling, and there's just nothing around here. There are options in almost any direction, in a 15 minute walk, but nothing around here. 

Completely agree about the location for a mid-level gym. Would be ideal.

Separately- Agree there are lots of new 1 br rentals being built (presumably for young childless renters) but there are also a good number of condos (e.g. 760 park place) and brownstones being sold to families with kids, and I bet people with kids are going to jump on those 2br apartments in new buildings, which are still significantly cheaper than you'll pay in the new buildings in downtown Brooklyn (which i think is a much less desirable location for families). I just moved here near EP and franklin last year and was extensively considering both options.

• PLG/flatbush has pretty much every gym chain imaginable. wish we had fancy gyms/yoga tho :P
  • edited February 24
    whynot_31 said:
    Aldi does have super cheap prices, but it lacks the name brands and organic selections that many wealthy shoppers desire. ...especially young, single ones In 2025 they may be a really large group in western Crown Heights. Too large to not cater to.
    Trader Joe's has (almost) no name brand products either. 

Aldi's does have some organic products, but not as many as TJ's.

I still stand by my assessment with the Aldi's would be a better fit for the area now as opposed to Trader Joe's.

In five years that may change a little. 
  • "Young, single, wealthy shoppers" is also a demographic that I see changing over the years. It's my belief that a lot of young college grads aren't really thinking about saving and investing in the future. And I can see future generations not having the same disposable money that the current does. Though this isn't a blanket statement on everyone. But I do believe things will shift from the current "gourmet" shoppers, into more of a "thrifty" average shopper. Plus, things like Amazon Fresh and Fresh Direct are giving groceries a run for their money.
    I'd like "gourmet" products but at "thrifty" prices. Hence, my lobbying for Aldi. ;) 
  • The Associated on Nostrand and Sullivan seems quite busy, and I suspect that some grocery chains will consider occupying the first floor of the building that replaces it.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/comment/555393#Comment_555393

• For anyone in the area, the Compare foods on St. Marks b/t Franklin and Classon is actually fairly large and quite nice.  
  • edited February 26
    Rick656 said: For anyone in the area, the Compare foods on St. Marks b/t Franklin and Classon is actually fairly large and quite nice.  
    And
    insanely expensive for what it is - from produce, to packaged cereal, to dairy, it has some of the highest prices I've seen in the city. It's large enough and the aisles are pleasantly wide, but if it wasn't the most convenient grocery store for me there is no way I'd ever seek it out.
  • The Foodtown on Fulton and Brooklyn Ave >>> Compare Foods on St. Marks.
  • Hmm, specifically on Nostrand between Eastern Parkway and Atlantic...I'd like a bagel store (like Bagel Pub on Franklin); a classic diner-type restaurant where I can take the toddler for grilled cheese and pancakes; a thai restaurant; some more options for women's clothes and shoe shopping; a housewares store that is not a dollar store; a package store like Lincoln postal for mailing packages/getting postal/shipping supplies. 

Would just love more sit-down restaurants in general. 

When the Black Lady Theater is finished, that will be phenomenal if there are performances and shows happening on Nostrand. Would certainly feed people into the local restaurants, bars, cafes. 

Would love a Trader Joe's somewhere in the neighborhood. We have a really fantastic Foodtown at Brooklyn Ave and Fulton. 
    Aren't most of these here in their nascent forms:

a bagel store - Lula Bagel
    a classic diner-type restaurant where I can take the toddler for grilled cheese and pancakes - Meme's or Colina
    a package store like Lincoln postal for mailing packages/getting postal/shipping supplies - UPS store on Bergen

All that's missing is Thai and women's clothing/shoes. 
  • -- Lula's does not make their own bagels. Love them, but would love a boiled bagel joint. 

-- Meme's and Colina are a little pricey for what I'm desiring (basically, a version of The Usual or Tom's). 

-- UPS store means you are tied to UPS services. What if you get a better rate using different providers?

Of course, those are all really nitpicky and we can probably do without of these options. 
  • My eyes are focused on western Crown Heights' M1 Zone.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44390/eyes-are-again-on-the-m-1-zone-in-crown-heights

If uses in the zone are not expanded, I expect some large entertainment venues.

If they allow residential, I expect it to be town down and rebuilt.

...but as long as no one is sure what DCP will do, we will have an incongruous collection of light industry in the middle of an increasingly wealthy area.
  • I'm convinced that Empire and Washington could support a movie theater. Not sure if that is allowed by zoning. 
  • edited February 27
    I'm convinced that Empire and Washington could support a movie theater. Not sure if that is allowed by zoning. 
    There's a storefront theater on Rogers and Sullivan across from Food Sermon

http://videorevival.org/