What will actually happen to the former Capital One Building at 856 Washington - Page 2 - Brooklynian

What will actually happen to the former Capital One Building at 856 Washington

2»

Comments

• Can't wait to see pics of the safe, aka the "money shot"!
  • edited July 2016

excellent shot of the area in the far back of the bank.

They will now likely begin work on the actual roof, letting it fall into the center of the bank, and then collapse the walls into the center as well.   Once it is merely a large mound, they will start hauling it away with heavy equipment.

• This morning there was a crane out front...
  • edited July 2016
    Today, the area of the roof within the red circle has been demolished, and is open to the sky.

Area sans hole:
    bank
  • edited July 2016
    Look closely to now see rectangular hole:
  • edited July 2016
    July 23rd: Domed area now demolished. Only the beams remain

View of sky from door of bank:
  • edited July 2016
    More demolition. 
    Hole in roof is largerimage

Safe is still in the back:

View of sky from door is quite large:
  • Closer photo of safe by Carlo Veconi

• There's the money shot.
  • edited August 2016

I had always thought bank safes were made of stainless steel because they were shiny, like in this pre-demolition shot: image

However, it is now clear that this safe was either clad in stainless steel that has been since removed for its salvage value, or it was merely shiny because it had never been exposed to the elements.   

...at a minimum, the core of this safe is/was regular steel.

• Only about 1/4 of the roof now remains.

• whynot_31 said:

I had always thought bank safes were made of stainless steel because they were shiny, like in this pre-demolition shot: image

However, it is now clear that this safe was either clad in stainless steel that has been since removed for its salvage value, or it was merely shiny because it had never been exposed to the elements.   

...at a minimum, the core of this safe is/was regular steel.

It was perhaps someone's job to oil/sand the safe door to keep rust at bay. Or perhaps they used gun bluing or another such treatment.
  • edited August 2016
    That makes sense. And, here is a more recent photo:

Photo not by me.
  • The roof is pretty much gone.
  • edited August 2016
    The back is being demolished now.

• and from the rear too...IMG_7354
  • edited August 2016
    The workers are presently using jack hammers to expose the metal beams. They then use a torch to cut the beams. Once the beams are gone, I assume the sides and the front will go next. (The back is already mostly gone) image image

• That's sad.
  • edited September 2016
    These photos were taken today, and one can see chunks of the front facade.

(photos not by me)

bank bank2
  • The facade is now about 40% removed. It is getting shorter by the day.

• edited September 2016
    image 1
  • edited October 2016
    If you look through the netting (bunting?) you can see that more of the facade has now been removed.

• There isn't a lot left of it now.

At this rate, the site could be completely cleared by Nov 15.

• edited November 2016
    Nothing higher than the plywood remains.   The remains of the safe still visible in the back.
  • Please remind me...When is this condo building set to have units go up for sale? Anyone know scheduled completion date for the new building?
  • edited January 2017
    DOB plans were last filed in 8/2015, for a 14 story bldg

For the heck of it, let's say the building will be completed in 2020 and units will go on sale in late 2018. The units will all be sold 10 months before the building is ready for occupancy. Given the current market, these units might fetch $1800 PSF.
  • So, you dont think it will be complete by spring 2019 (not 2020) since 2019 is more than 2 years from now? And why do you say $1800psf? I honestly want to learn where condo ppsf is in the area at the area & what the perception is for the coming year or two in PH/CH...Is that $1800psf based on recent "closed/sale" prices on similar units? Or is that based on recent list prices for similar? Can you provide a bit of background/detail on your guestimate ppsf # for me? And any idea if these units will be tax abated or did they miss the cutoff to apply? Many thanks in advance....
  • I am assuming really nice units, and a continuation of the present increases in the area.

I am also assuming that Washington Avenue continues to get nicer, and that the skilled building trades and DOB will continue to be in such demand that delays are likely.

While it won't be as tall, I expect the building that replaces the Key Food to fetch similar prices.  http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/47180/key-food-on-washington-and-lincoln-is-said-to-have-sold

• Got it. Thanks @whynot. Any idea if bank building units will be 421a tax abated?
  • edited January 2017
    In light of national politics, I do not think NYS and NYC will be able to continue to abate real estate taxes to the same degree they have been.

So, despite the lobbying by republican (development) groups in support of 421a, I am going to predict that the 421a program will be "unintentionally gutted" by the democrats.

They will insist upon lots of affordable housing and/or "living wages" for construction workers. 

As a result, developers in high income areas will no longer find it attractive, and thus not participate.   (Note, the affordable housing and labor activists will refer to this as "strengthening")

To make a long story short, I predict you are going to need $1800 PSF, and that subsidized units will not be available.
  • Hole for the foundation presently being dug.

No forms for concrete in place yet.

They are in the digging and bracing stage.
  • and now we know, this is what will happen -- enormous. honestly, though, it could have been worse. IMG_0975
  • edited April 2017
    Note the windows on the right side of the building. ....because they wisely bought the air rights of the building on that side.

BTW, I have a hard time believing that this will be built by Sept 2018, but time will tell..
  • If they're able to move at Boston speeds then maybe they can meet that date. Up here they demolished the abandoned movie theater and Applebee's by my university and are nearly finished building about 3 new buildings in the space it took up.
  • They probably could have gotten even more money per sq ft if they had kept part of the old facade. People buying in this area love that kind of stuff.
  • As a result of being on a hill, the apartments above the 6th Fl will have some really good views of Manhattan.

These are going to be closer to the subway, park, museum and BBG than the new units in Pacific Park.

...and should sell for more.
  • Agreed re value of being closer to park etc. I'm not sure what people see in those new buildings in northern PH/CH (e.g 550 Vanderbilt). Seems to be in an rather isolated area and not great subway access as you move away from Barclays center/Atlantic terminal.
  • I think they probably see the future. It's clear that more development is on the horizon, but currently there's restaurants, cafes, shopping only a couple of blocks away in every direction. The Clinton/Wash station is only two blocks away. Atlantic terminal is only a 10 min walk. Bergen stop maybe 10 min walk. Being closer to the park, museum, and garden are definitely of more value. I sold my apartment near the park and museum in order to buy a house in Flatbush with a yard. Yes, I'm further away but for me the investment in space was worth it and I'm right near the train so getting to the park and museum only takes 15 minutes longer.
  • Rick656 said:
    Agreed re value of being closer to park etc. I'm not sure what people see in those new buildings in northern PH/CH (e.g 550 Vanderbilt). Seems to be in an rather isolated area and not great subway access as you move away from Barclays center/Atlantic terminal.
    It's only an 8-minute walk to the 7th Ave stop on the Q/B from 550 Vanderbilt.
  • The Eastern Parkway 2/3 stop is 1 min from 856 Washington 
  • Below street level in place. image
  • edited September 2017
    It looks they will rise above the level of the plywood fence by Oct 1. ...I'm kind of interested in seeing how they get the excavator out of there.
  • Wow, they are really moving!
  • indeed, and somehow the excavator was freed.
  • structure is now one story above the fence line
  • I really hope the area that appears ground level in the foreground stays ground level. I'm surprised that the footprint isn't taking up more of the lot?
  • I'm curious about what seems to be a nook on the west side of the new building to allow for a bit of air and light looking into the courtyard of the building next to it on Lincoln Place. The structure also seems to align at the edge of that Lincoln Pl building rather than extend beyond it in the back as the bank did. I wonder if the Lincoln Pl building had any say in this design since the rumor was they were approached for air rights?
  • I'm not sure how such an airshaft would line up with the higher floors in the rendering, unless it would partially roof it over? image
  • looks pretty high-end. very curious to see pricing. that airshaft does look like it lines up with the courtyard at 400 Lincoln, on the north side of the building (right side of photo). the tower (above fl. 6) is to the south side of the building, so i assume no airshaft.
  • Yes, it appears to be at the level of the buildings going up in Pacific Park: Doorman, no PTACS, good views, and lots in in building amenities. I suspect the building that will fill the Key Food lot will be equally nice. http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/47180/key-food-on-washington-and-lincoln-has-sold-residential-building-and-grocery-store-in-the-works#latest
  • edited November 2017
    whynot_31 said:
    Yes, it appears to be at the level of the buildings going up in Pacific Park: Doorman, no PTACS, good views, and lots in in building amenities. I suspect the building that will fill the Key Food lot will be equally nice. http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/47180/key-food-on-washington-and-lincoln-has-sold-residential-building-and-grocery-store-in-the-works#latest
    PTACs have apparently become much less common throughout the market since a change in the building code properly accounts for their energy waste— https://www.milrose.com/insights/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-2016-nyc-energy-conservation-code
  • Today's snowy backside view: IMG_2707-1 IMG_2708-2
  • It's going up pretty darn quick.
  • From the front, you can see that they have started to set the building back .
    james131 said:
    and now we know, this is what will happen -- enormous. honestly, though, it could have been worse. IMG_0975
  • This is the fastest I've seen a building go up in a while. It reminds me of Boston. Buildings up there are built in no time.
  • 2 more floors to go? Apparently there was some sort of scaffolding issue today which closed pedestrian and car traffic on Washington Ave.
  • edited January 20
    Ms Whynot and I determined they have one more floor to go now. ...but were too lazy to take a photo
  • Two more photos from this past weekend (open houses are so good for exploring the neighborhood inside AND out!). IMG_4141-2 IMG_4140-1
  • now topped off bank
  • CuRBA (the Cultural Row Block Association, whose campaign with the Prospect Heights Neighborhood Development Council for a historic district is pitched at http://phndc.org/ProspectHeightsApartmentHouseDistrict ) noticed my snapshots in this thread and asked to put them on its Instagram feed. I tried to not overexpose them, this time (my monitor's in front of a window, making me the worst image editor in the afternoons):
  • Alas, the inline-images tool seems gone, so here are links to the construction as of yesterday:

https://i.imgur.com/bn1rAXt.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/dSJuAtM.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/stocTeg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.