Franklin btw President and Carroll - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Franklin btw President and Carroll

The cleaners in the building on the east side of the street have moved around the corner to a new location. That makes 6 vacant store fronts in a row in this building. With all the focus on Franklin Ave (mostly north of EP) I find it odd that there are so many vacancies on this block. There are also 2 shuttered locations on the opposite side. Also, why would the Cleaners move?? That is expensive. So either A) they got a much better deal in the new location, B ) the old spot was untenable for their business C) the lease came up and wasn't renewed. franklin

Comments

• dmiami2 said:
    The cleaners in the building on the east side of the street have moved around the corner to a new location. That makes 6 vacant store fronts in a row in this building. With all the focus on Franklin Ave (mostly north of EP) I find it odd that there are so many vacancies on this block. There are also 2 shuttered locations on the opposite side. Also, why would the Cleaners move?? That is expensive. So either A) they got a much better deal in the new location, B ) the old spot was untenable for their business C) the lease came up and wasn't renewed. franklin

Maybe the lease wasn't renewed because the cleaners couldn't afford the rent increase. I suspect these commercial spots are deliberately being warehoused.

• I was just wondering the other day if anyone talked to Tony recently about the plans for the old Pioneer grocery store on Franklin and Carroll? It's been shuttered for years.
  • I talk to him occasionally and he still seems to believe the neighborhood (demand) is not there yet.
  • Talked to the owners of the dry cleaners because I go there... they moved because rent was too high in the other location.
  • The demand probably isn't going to get any stronger with the old Key Food place on Washington being upgraded, and the Union Market folks over on E.P. and Bedford. I hope Tony is rethinking a new strategy for using that space.
  • Talked to the owners of the dry cleaners because I go there... they moved because rent was too high in the other location.
    Well that explains it... I guess we'll see how long the Metro PCS store wants to be the only tenant.
  • The demand probably isn't going to get any stronger with the old Key Food place on Washington being upgraded, and the Union Market folks over on E.P. and Bedford. I hope Tony is rethinking a new strategy for using that space.
    Totally agree. When the Pioneer was there I never went because the Associated was 2 blocks away and much nicer (IMO).
  • edited August 15
    The Sea Crest sites and the BBG site seem like they are not going to be occupied in the near future.
  • Even if they were to begin construction today, they might not be occupied until early Spring 2021
  • That block's been slowly turning into a ghost town for a while now. It seems like everyone feels they're better served waiting for rents to further increase before locking in tenants at a rate that could rapidly increase in the years to come. I still go to the pharmacy on that block, so hopefully they don't get pushed out as well.
    I actually noticed some activity is that space the other day for the first time in a while. Any updates @iamahmadrabah ?