951 Dean Street - What is it? - Brooklynian

951 Dean Street - What is it?

Does anyone have any info on the construction on the corner of Dean Street and Classon Ave (951 Dean Street)? They are building a one story structure with high ceilings and large storefront windows. Looks like it could be nice retail or a restaurant. It is just down the street from the Brownstoner development project a 1000 Dean Street. I would love to know the plans for this building if anyone has some info... Thanks!

Comments

• July 2012:

photo: Brownstoner

Brownstoner last covered it in July:

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2012/07/renovation-at-951-dean-street-in-crown-heights/

Needless to say, there is a nice shiny building there now, and it looks ready for a tenant.

It wouldn't surprise me if any potential tenant stipulated that their lease was to begin in the fall, once 100 Dean opens, and once foot traffic is higher.

• Brownstoner wondered about the site today, 6/14/2013, but has no new information:

The new commercial building at 951 Dean Street, right on the corner of Classon Avenue in Crown Heights, is looking close to done. The space boasts nice, big windows — we wonder what kind of tenant the building owners are trying to bring in. The builders actually constructed the corner building as an addition to the old brick stable on Dean Street.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/06/commercial-space-coming-along-at-951-dean/#disqus_thread

• July 22:

I did a little digging to see if I could find a realtors ad for this site (which also known as 647 Classon), but alas, I could not find one.

• Sept 14: The buildings appear largely complete; Workers were busy doing cosmetic work today.

• Anyone know anything about this place? The construction is complete and it looks like a promising corner, but I haven't seen any action from a new tenant. Maybe the owner is waiting for 1000 dean to be occupied before he leases it. Any news or gossip?
  • edited April 2014
    I don't have any news, but am wondering as well.

For the heck of it, I'm just adding this screen shot of what the lot looked like before construction began.    

At present, the building appears complete, but I have not seen a listing for it on any of the sites I frequent.   ...making me believe that whoever bought it and then built it is going to operate it...

Screen shot 2014-04-18 at 11.21.22 PM
  • edited June 2014
    Scratch that assumption :) 

Although able to be configured as several storefronts, it is presently configured as just one storefront and now for rent. image
  • edited May 2015
    one can also get the cute little brick building to the right.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19140936/951-Dean-St-Brooklyn-NY/
  • edited February 2016

and, over a year after completion, it still sits on the market...

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19140936/951-Dean-St-Brooklyn-NY/

• This building still sits, likely because 1000 Dean has not reached the potential that was hoped.

• edited May 14
    Building now reportedly has a sign on it of "James Dean" aka 647 Classon Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 6.47.00 PM image
  • Update: It will be a bar /restaurant. Dean Café Inc., 951 Dean Street (corner Classon) – Full liquor license is being sought.
  • We need another bar.... I wish them luck. I will taste the coffee!.
  • Dean. I just got it.
  • IMG-20170530-WA0000 Sign went up. Unsure whether that's a misspelling or an attempt at a homonym gone awry.
  • I'll never understand how one puts years of their creativity into making a unique and special place that people will want to spend time in, and then just name it exactly what it is. How much cycling through names do you think occurred before settling on 'the name of the street plus the things we sell'. They were probably throwing out names like CrownVine, and CoffeeHeights, but then they found a name that totally captured the essence of what they are, and where they are. Always a good move to be clear, but speaking for just myself, I'm not entered this giant silly thing. I'm getting sleepy just looking at it.
  • edited May 30
    They could've at least called it Grape Expectations. Or: Uppers and Downers or something like that.
  • I find it a little odd that they use James Dean's image, but do not use his name on the sign. Also, this place may open before it gets its liquor lic because it seems to be trying for a coffee crowd as well as a liquor one. (Full Liquor licenses seem to take 6 months)
  • They were on to something with James Dean! If they called it James Dean st, I'd give it to them.
  • The effort they gave towards creativity and grammar doesn't bode well. At least the building's smoke alarm will stop beeping after months of empty battery chirps.
  • edited July 4
    They recently began the process of seeking a full liquor lic. However, this may be more of a breakfast/coffee place.
  • I liked it best when it was just the picture of James Dean.
  • Is that Comic Sans on the signage?
  • So I've been coming to Dean since they opened. I love it here, mostly because Sarah and Tony are cool as hell, and Sarah is (hopefully) going to be singing, which will pack this place. It will be a challenge for anyone opening up yet ANOTHER coffee shop/ bar in this hood, but Dea has several things going for it. One customer put it perfectly when he came in and explained (after seeing the long rows of picnic tables, and the large space), "Hey, this is just like Berg'n...only not so white." So far this hot new spot has been attracting a diverse crowd, unlike many of the hipster spots in the area with a few exceptions So far this cafe by day, bar by night has gotten a few regulars already, partly because of the more inclusive, cool vibe; partly because of the ambiance and funky decor. The place is perfect for a first date with a few romantic nooks, outdoor seating, and antique furniture, (including a few velvet love seats), and there's a vintage Yamaha hanging from the wall, and I love the rare poster of Marylin Monroe lifting weights like a badass. Dean also has a secret downstairs space that will be held for special parties and events, including a travel writing workshop (tba soon). I think the key to Dean's success might be that there appears to have been a few new people (Zsa Zsa and co.) brought on board by the owner to run the place. Zsa Zsa's got a few good ideas and a whole lotta' passion, so let's see if Dean can survive, unlike several other Crown Heights businesses that lasted about as long as the relationships formed at Franklin Park. Anyway, I'll keep coming for the eye candy; the customers AND staff here are fly as hell, which is distracting but quite enjoyable when you're a writer/procrastinator.
  • edited September 1
    I've been coming to Dean since they opened. I love it here, mostly because Sarah and Tony are cool as hell, and Sarah, (an amazing singer) may be performing here, which would pack this place. It will be a challenge for anyone opening up yet ANOTHER coffee shop/ bar in this hood, but Dean has several things going for it. One customer put it perfectly when he came in and exclaimed (after seeing how huge the space is, and the long rows of picnic tables), "Hey, this is just like Berg'n...only not so white!" So far this hot new spot has been attracting a diverse crowd, unlike many of the hipster spots in the area. So far this cafe by day, bar by night has gotten a few regulars already, perhaps due to the more inclusive, cool vibe, or maybe because of the ambiance and funky decor. My opinion; it's because of the fine ass customers AND staff. This place is sexy, period. The place is perfect for a first date with a few romantic nooks, outdoor seating, and antique furniture, (including a few velvet love seats), and there's a vintage Yamaha hanging from the wall, and I love the rare poster of Marylin Monroe lifting weights like a badass. Dean also has a secret downstairs space that will be held for special parties and events, including a travel writing workshop (tba soon). I think the key to Dean's success might be that there appears to have been a few new people (Zsa Zsa and co.) brought on board by the owner to run the place. Zsa Zsa's got a few good ideas and a whole lotta' passion, so let's see if Dean can survive, (unlike several other Crown Heights businesses that lasted about as long as the relationships formed at Franklin Park). Anyway, I'll keep coming for the eye candy, which is distracting but quite enjoyable when you're a writer/procrastinator.
  • It is a big, comfy space with high ceilings. ...a rarity for bars and venues in the area. It was pretty full when I looked in a few days ago. Have they operated similar establishments?
  • edited September 2
    Yea, I spoke with the owner last night. Locally owned, minority business, so preparing to support the F*** out of it. It's actually called 'Dean Cafe Bar'.. very descriptive -_- Still setting themselves up and establishing. I enjoy the space, but mostly the small cove in the rear. Allot of intimate seating for big groups or small dates. I think it'll be a good counterpoint at night to their neighbor 'Friends and Lovers' (which I enjoy allot actually). It gets crowds from all over the city, so it'll be nice to finally have something as enjoyable close by. Said they will also be having an official opening event 9.11.2017