New wings place coming to 1218 Union (near Nostrand) — Brooklynian

New wings place coming to 1218 Union (near Nostrand)

Formerly the location of a different wings place, Super Wings Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 2.39.27 PM

Comments

• I miss Super Wings so much... excited to try Brooklyn Wing House!
  • edited August 2017
    I stuck my head in the other night and was offered some free wings samples in exchange for my feedback. Delicious! This place should be a nice compliment to Anyone Comics next door, as long people clean their sticky wings fingers before browsing the comic books.
  • Here's the menu:
  • jfinks said:
    I miss Super Wings so much... excited to try Brooklyn Wing House!
    Forever missing super wings! Of course a new spot opens up after I moved. Sigh.....
  • It seems they did not wait until 8/19 to open. Now open. https://twitter.com/BKWingHouse
  • edited August 2017
    Omg, I went to try this yesterday afternoon and there was a line down the block and a DJ in front of the store blasting music. Looked like an official grand opening celebration and there were plenty of people there. I found out that they don't offer delivery so you'll have to go or pay the outrageous Uber eats fees to try these. I can't comment on the taste since the line was too long for me to wait.
  • The business has been heavily advertised in advance of its opening, and may be especially popular among customers who wish to patronize a black owned business. I'll wait until the lines are smaller, then go.
  • Yeah watch out with the lines, I went the other day and there were maybe only 8 people in line in front of me and it took a half hour to get my food. They are obviously still working out the kinks. My first impression is that it is definitely no super wings, but I think they need some time to work out the kinks.
  • Shooting this place tonight. Sounds like 2 people were hit but am not sure. I was gonna check this place out tomorrow too.
  • edited August 2017
    That explains the helicopter that has been hovering since around 8 PM
  • As a result of this place being so popular since it opened, I do wonder if this stemmed from something as simple (and senseless) as someone cutting in line.
  • edited August 2017
    I spoke to Geoffrey Davis on the block this evening, and he said the police told him it was a targeted shooting. Two customers and one employee were hit.
  • It sounds like there was an intended target, and two bystanders. All three are expected to live.
  • The woman that owns Summer Hill could use this as an opportunity to show support for another local business and simultaneously acknowledge gun violence is a real problem.
  • edited August 2017
    It certainly is a problem if you work at a wing place and you have customer who has an opponent who is armed. This seems like the most informed of the stories: http://www.amny.com/news/crown-heights-shooting-injures-2-brooklyn-wing-house-workers-1-customer-police-source-says-1.14091680 "Two workers and a customer were shot Friday night when a man opened fire inside the kitchen of a chicken wing shop in Crown Heights, a police source said. A 33-year-old man was ordering at Brooklyn Wing House, located at 1218 Union St., around 7:30 p.m. when the suspect walked by and recognized him, the source said. As soon as the 33-year-old realized he knew the suspect, he tried to barricade the door to stop him from coming inside, according to the source. The 33-year-old man then ran through the Brooklyn Wing House and into the kitchen, where the gunman followed and opened fire, the source said. The suspect's spray of bullets hit his intended target as well as two workers, an 18-year-old man and a 28-year-old man, the source said. The 18-year-old was shot in the right leg, the 28-year-old man was hit in the neck and the 33-year-old was struck in the back and leg, an NYPD spokesman said..."
  • Last I heard this perpetrator has not been identified or caught. I find it difficult to believe that none of the victims or scores of witnesses knew the identity of this criminal. My guess is his identity is in fact widely known but not shared with police. Want something to protest? That's a good place to start.
  • Did you notice the protest announcement directly above your post?
  • Yes, of course, that's why I mentioned it. It's not clear to me, however, that the protest will address the pervasive problem of non cooperation with police investigations ("No snitching"). It's sounds more like a promotional event for the restaurant.
  • dmiami2 . summerhill lady had her own bulletholes in front of her bar last year during a drive by shoot em up.
  • edited September 2017
    The event this evening is by a local group against gun/street violence. They likely obtained the owners permission to have the event and bring attention to their cause. The owner may fear that as a result of being a new, black owned business, his business has been tainted by the events in a way that a more established (non black owned) business would not be. Sadly, he is not wrong. Such fears seem valid to me. ...let's buy some wings, so it survives its infancy and because I hear they are yummy.
This discussion has been closed.