Elation. Shock. Devastation. Acceptance. McMuffins. The stages of a McDonald's teardown - Brooklynian

Elation. Shock. Devastation. Acceptance. McMuffins. The stages of a McDonald's teardown

That old out of place Mcky D's on the edge of Vanderbilt and atlantic, one day last month was insta-torn down to the studs, raising hope that it would go away. But unfortunately, after what some sources say could be a $700,000 makeover, that thing is here to stay. What are they crazy? Im sure thats 50 million dollar land its sitting on. They will now have table ipads for sitting, ordering and eating in that order. So at least that.

Comments

• edited December 2017
    I'd guess it does quite well from the handful of times I stopped in with the kids. It's a solid location for drivers with its drive through and parking, and not everyone within walking distance is of the $20 kale and squash blossom crowd.
  • edited January 1
    I think Mc Donald's will stay until a developer can assemble this property along with the houses that are almost surrounded by its parking lot. Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 9.16.51 PM
  • The owner has a significant amount of property in the area on both sides of Atlantic. They don't need the money and have the wherewithal to co-develop if that was of interest. I wouldn't be surprised in the McDonalds has a long-term ground lease on that corner. Contrary to popular belief, not all long-term owners are looking to cash out.
  • I've mostly avoided this McDonald's since I've moved to the neighborhood, It's corporate, its bad for you, its well, an eyesore. But maybe I'll see a bright side to the renovation. I already think the new structure looks kind of cool. And I would like to order something from the touch screen; that sounds like the future. If we both have to live here, I think we can learnt to get along.
  • edited January 3
    homeowner said:
    The owner has a significant amount of property in the area on both sides of Atlantic. They don't need the money and have the wherewithal to co-develop if that was of interest. I wouldn't be surprised in the McDonalds has a long-term ground lease on that corner. Contrary to popular belief, not all long-term owners are looking to cash out.
    That old out of place Mcky D's on the edge of Vanderbilt and atlantic, one day last month was insta-torn down to the studs, raising hope that it would go away. But unfortunately, after what some sources say could be a $700,000 makeover, that thing is here to stay. What are they crazy? Im sure thats 50 million dollar land its sitting on. They will now have table ipads for sitting, ordering and eating in that order. So at least that.
    Is the land owned by someone other than the franchise owner? In any case, the land isn't likely to go down in value and the McD's presumably pays the property taxes and makes a nice profit beyond that, so the owner is probably just sitting pretty until they see a big number.