United Deli Washington EP - Brooklynian

United Deli Washington EP

Thumbs up for the new awning.

Thumbs down to the canvas banner.

I noticed they started upgrading soon after the other deli down the block burned down.

Comments

• The other deli was nicer. There is now an available nitch

• They'll need to do a gut renovation before I'll set foot in there again.

• wear a flea collar and tuck your pants in your socks and you should be just fine.

:-XX

• I asked them about renovations and they said there was too much red tape.

Think its a government owned building.

Slightly better awning. Nice bodega cat though.

• I suspect something like St Johns Marketplace, or Bob and Betty's could now work in the location.

Oh well, I guess I'll continue to go to them. Neither is far away.

• I'm filing this under "nice start." Hope the renovations continue inside. Would love to see something like Bob & Betty's.

• August 15, 2011, 12:45 pm

Cats at the Bodega, Just Doing Their Job

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/15/cats-at-the-bodega-just-doing-their-job/

Repost

Top 10 Bodega Cats Keeping Cool

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/top-10-bodega-cats-keeping-cool

• When I die, I wish to come back as a bodega cat.

• whynot_31 said:

When I die, I wish to come back as a bodega cat.

Nirvana for cats. :)

• God, can you put in a good word for me?

I sooo don't want to come back as a human.

• This bodega cat is particularly bad ass. He leaves to go fight the neighborhood pit bulls. His name is CatLock.

• whynot_31 said:

God, can you put in a good word for me?

I sooo don't want to come back as a human.

Done! :)

• Today (Jan 8, 2013), the United Deli located at 840 Washington took another brave and expensive step: All of its yellowed plexiglass windows have been replaced with genuine storefront glass.

I'll take a photo of the new and improved bodega when I get a chance.

But first, here is a photo of what the bodega looked like in April of 2009.

Since then, they have replaced the awning with a snazzy sign (discussed by inpixels above), and upgraded the inside in terms of stock and cleanliness.

• What is the story with this building? It's such an unwelcoming "entrance to Lincoln Place" with its brick windowed first floor and tumble-weeded trash strewn triangular back yards... Though Lincoln Place has gets a bad rap for "sketch vibes" This is actually the only really shabby sketchy looking building on that block to me.

• This deli has, admittedly, been slow to adapt their outside appearance to that of the changing neighborhood.

Until recently, I was afraid that they were going to have to leave once their lease eventually expired and the landlord predictably demanded more rent.

As of tonight, the windows are about half replaced. The photo below captures an old pane of plexiglas on the right, and a new glass pane on the left. By this weekend, they might be completely done with the upgrade.

The soon-to-open Lincoln Station cheese and sandwich shop (located less than 500 ft away) may be part of the reason they finally took this step.

• What is the story with this building? It's such an unwelcoming "entrance to Lincoln Place

Always assumed it was Section 8.

I like it. Helps keep the rent down in the area.

• Yup. To be specific, most of the residential tenants are served by ICLs scatter site apartment program.

This social service agency occupies one of a storefronts (828), and has quietly been providing housing and services to clients for years...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&site=&source=hp&q=828+wasington+ICL&oq=828+wasington+ICL&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3...4366.15550.0.17941.18.17.0.1.1.0.371.2429.3j13j0j1.17.0.les;..0.0...1ac.1.PXQzNWUru1k

• more glass went in today. They seem to be upgrading from right to left.

• This evening, (Jan 16, 2013) I spoke with the guys who operate United Deli.

They stated that they are going to remodel everything.

"We are going to move the fridges to the back wall. We are not going to stock any of this merchandise"

....a little at a time, as money becomes available, they are in the process of becoming a version of St John's marketplace.

Please stop by and congratulate them on their decision, and tell them we are delighted they are staying in the neighborhood!

• Glass is done. It looks like the sign will be put back up soon.

• Lipstick on a pig.

• Until they change out the merchandise, yes, that is what this resembles.

Time will tell whether they replace/upgrade the merchandise one item at a time.

• I was in here this weekend and it *seemed* like one thing that also might have changed are the prices. A man in front of me, who said he shopped their regularly, put his item back on the shelf in frustration because the price had risen within the span of a week. The glass windows make an enormous difference in "friendliness".

• When it renovated, St. John's Marketplace (located on Underhill and formerly affectionately known as the Disassociated) closed and renovated all at once.

Post renovation:

United Deli is taking an incremental approach.

• Battle Cry for the Bodega

There’s also considerable debate over what, exactly, qualifies as a bodega. “One of the main aspects of the project is the semantics,” he says. “People get pissed off when their bodega isn’t considered a bodega.”

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/neighborhoods/2013/01/battle-cry-bodega/4523/

http://www.ilikenicethings.com/bodegas/

• Being that the owners are doing a little bit of renovation as they can afford it, I think it is safe to assume they will not be spending $25k to become a 7-11 as the Atlantic Cities article mentions.

...which is sort of unfortunate, because I would totally buy red flavor Slurpees in the summer.

• make mine a coca cola slurpee

[video]

• The closest 7-11 to us is on Atlantic, near Brooklyn Ave

http://www.propertyshark.com/mason/Property/175934/1381-Atlantic-Ave-Brooklyn-NY-11216/

It is kind of a far walk for a Slurpee, but I have done it.

• whynot_31 said:

Until they change out the merchandise, yes, that is what this resembles.

Time will tell whether they replace/upgrade the merchandise one item at a time.

I am pleased to report that today, a large, ugly, ancient, filthy reach-in chest freezer has been moved to the curb.

The interior upgrade of the store fixtures and merchandise has begun

• Unfortunately this doesn't look like a St. John's marketplace renovation. More like lipstick on a pig. :(

• They have a big wood board covering one of the glass panels. Vandals broke the glass. This is why we can't have nice things.

• Yup.

They are in a very awkward stage, in which they have not yet invested enough in renovations to attract the St John's Marketplace demographic, yet are still very dependent on people who shop for 40s and cigarettes late at night and in the very early morning.

They know they can't satisfy both groups.

They know the St John's Marketplace demographic is the future, yet they lack the capital and the courage to make the leap.

To my knowledge, they remain open 24 hours. Once they completely switch over, they will be able to reduce their hours to 7 AM - 11 PM.

• New Awning Up:

Just a few years ago:

• While this place came up with the capital to replace its external appearance, it never took the step of getting rid of its present merchandise.

A new upscale market is rumored to be in the works for 810 Washington, and my outlook is not positive for the proprietors of United.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38020/will-810-washington-ever-become-anything#Item_34

• edited April 2017
    Less than 3 years later, this place is closed and getting a complete renovation.

New Flooring, new kitchen, grocery stock has all been removed.

Based on my view today, they might get to the level that one can eat inside the deli.
    Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 7.58.56 PM
  • Now that Key Food has closed, it has added fruit and veggies. image
  • edited December 2017
    Vegetables were not available for long, and now the operator is telling people walking by that everything must go. It sounds like the store will be gone by Jan 1. ...despite their best efforts to adapt to the neighborhood's changing means and preferences.
  • The United Deli guys told a neighbor that the whole building is getting “rehauled”. We were curious what that entailed.
  • edited December 2017
    Yes, it should be interesting to see if the city is behind the "rehauling". Readers may not be aware that the apartments are occupied by tenants with behavioral health issues. ...a non-profit oversees the units. http://www.iclinc.net/search-results/washington-avenue-mica-supported-housing/
  • edited January 4
    United Deli now closed. I suspect this would be a great location for a bar/restaurant. ...especially if other storefronts close and are able to be combined as a result of the rehauling.
  • There is that sliver of backyard that would make a nice eating area too... or anything would be better than weeds
  • I would want to combine it with the adjacent yard. Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 8.52.11 PM
  • edited January 4
    The Atty and the cell phone store likely have no formal access to it. Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 8.53.28 PM
  • We can dream! Someone in my building threw a “seed bomb” over the fence hoping a garden could grow.
  • I admittedly almost never shopped there, but I'm really bummed about this. Mainly because their renovation (oddly, removing alcohol after being OK selling it for such a long time?) was done so recently--they must have lost a lot of money. Does anyone know where the guys went?
This discussion has been closed.