beautiful black cat found a good home!!! — Brooklynian

beautiful black cat found a good home!!!

edited 12:01AM in Brooklyn Pets
We've adopted four cats (one from a shelter and three off the street) and I cannot keep this cat. Please, someone, help me? Any advice would really help.
The cat was dirty, huddled near a warehouse on Atlantic Avenue, trying to hide by pushing its nose into the corner. Its a big cat, almost entirely black (with a few white hairs on its chest). I think it is a girl-cat. It was terrified outside but once I got it inside it became really friendly. It is not skinny at all but some of the fur on the back, near the rump, is matted. I'm working out the matts and am almost done. When I started brushing the cat it started purring and PURRING and PURRING.
Please, someone, help me? I absolutely cannot keep this cat.
If someone could explain how I can post pictures, I have some. Please help. If anyone from a cat rescue group reads this, please help. I can keep the cat for a few days but it really needs a home. image" alt="" />

Comments

• What a cutie! Thanks so much for getting this cat off of the streets. It is often stressful to bring them home into your already cat saturated home but you have definitely saved a life. This cat would probably not have lived long out there since she is so friendly. A grand applause goes out to you.

I would recommend calling all shelters, getting on their list, and finding out what their intake procedure is like. If the cat is vetted (spayed, vaccinated, tested for FELV/FIV) then they get to the top of the list much faster. Prospect Park Animal Clinic has great prices and Animal Kind has a 10% discount for strays. Both clinics accept Muffins Certificates for an discounted spay (www.muffins.org). No kill shelters to call: ASPCA (212-426-4357), BARC (718-388-1172), Bide-A-Wee (212-532-5884), North Shore Animal League (516-883-7575), Kitty Kind at Petco in Union Square(http://www.kittykind.org/contactus.cfm). I would not recommend taking her to Animal Care and Control since they are overwhelmed with animals and euthanize the animals fairly quickly. People often confuse Animal Care and Control with the ASPCA ... they are distinctly different. Hope Veterinary Clinic (718-852-4219) and 5th Avenue Cat Clinic (718-398-1187) will sometimes accept adoptable cats if they aren't already full.

Do you have a friend or co-worker that would be willing to foster? Flyers, Craig's List, and Petfinder are useful tools in adopting out cats. I have a lot of luck with those resources.

Good luck and don't get stressed out. It will all work out in the end.
  • Hello, I am Violet's sister. She can't log in from work, but she asked me to thank you for the very nice note and to tell you how much she appreciates your encouragement.

She has posted to Craig's List, PetFinder, and TabbyTracker, and she's put up fliers around the neighborhood (and plans to put up more). We will keep trying--you have a lot of good information, thank you. And we'll take the cat to the vet and take good care of her.

If you hear of anyone who is looking for a beautiful cat, please let us know. I wish everyone would spay or neuter their animals. There are so many who need homes.

Thanks again. --E.
  • Be sure to post flyers all around PS (Prospect Park Animal Clinic, NYC Pet, Ozzie's, Animal Kind, Back to the Land, Key Foods on 5th and 7th, 6th Avenue Pet Clinic, etc.). Also post flyers at Natural Heights, Acme Pet, C Town, and Joyce's in PH.
  • Subject: beautiful black cat needs a good home

I took the big guy to the vet today to be checked out. He's almost 17 pounds, about a year and a half old, neutered, and in fine health (though he does have dry skin). He is FeLV and FIV negative. I went ahead and got him his vaccinations in case he hadn't had them, to make him more adoptable.

The vet-tech commented that he looks like a panther and said that he's so sweet he doesn't belong in the streets. They didn't find any microchips and I haven't gotten any calls from the 20+ fliers I put up around the neighborhood. We figure someone got him as a Halloween decoration and then threw him away when the holiday was over. He was terrified outside, alone in the cold with traffic whizzing by, but when he feels safe - as he does in the house - he is brave and curious. He's calm and loves being brushed and petted - he purrs both on the inhale and then louder on the exhale. He has refined taste and likes canned food, not dry.

We're really looking for a home for this big guy so I changed the subject of this post from "FOUND" to "needs a home". I'll print up new fliers and put them around as Leozoeypiper suggests (thank you Leozoeypiper - I PM'd you). My sister and I are also going to let people at work know that he's available to warm the home and heart of some lucky family. If anyone would like to meet him, please let me know. He wouldn't pose for the old pictures because he was so busy happily purring and rolling around, delighted that I was petting him, but I'll post some new pictures soon so you can see how very beautiful he is.

If you have a place in your home for this sweetheart please PM me.
  • Subject: New Pictures

New photos added!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/blackandwhiteviolet/album/576460762333841290

This big guy really wants a loving, permanent home with someone. Please email me if you would like to meet him, or if you have any friends who might be interested let me know and I'll send you my phone number. Thank you!
  • What a handsome (and lucky!) guy!
  • Subject: Re: beautiful black cat found a good home!!!

This afternoon alafairnadia came to meet the black cat, and decided to take him home! She has introduced the yet-to-be-named big guy to her kitty Lupita, and the two cats are getting to know one another and setting a few ground rules. Soon we expect them to be cuddling together and playing happily.
    Thank you, alafairnadia, for welcoming the black cat into your family. It really was a pleasure to meet you today.
    And thank you Leozoeypiper for all of your help and support.
    Thank you very much, mods, for making my original post sticky. Please un-sticky this if you like.
  • That's excellent news! Congrats, alafairnadia, on your new kitty! I bet Lupita will enjoy having some feline company again.
  • Congratulations ... I love happy endings :)
  • [Borat voice]Nice![/Borat voice]
  • Ifa and Lupita are working out their relationship. we'll see how it pans out. I'm projecting Thanksgiving for final grievances to be worked out. Ifa is beautiful boy and I think he and Lupita will be happy together. with me, of course. I realize I'm just the human in the house ...

and thanks Violet - rescuing a strange cat and taking him to the vet takes a fantastic sort of person. you're one of them. :)
  • alafairnadia wrote: Ifa and Lupita are working out their relationship. we'll see how it pans out. I'm projecting Thanksgiving for final grievances to be worked out. Ifa is beautiful boy and I think he and Lupita will be happy together. with me, of course. I realize I'm just the human in the house ...

and thanks Violet - rescuing a strange cat and taking him to the vet takes a fantastic sort of person. you're one of them. :)
    YEAH ALAFAIR!!! Im so happy that you were able to give Ifa a home. He is one lucky guy to have you for a "mom" and Lupita for a "sis".
  • stacey wrote: [quote=alafairnadia]Ifa and Lupita are working out their relationship. we'll see how it pans out. I'm projecting Thanksgiving for final grievances to be worked out. Ifa is beautiful boy and I think he and Lupita will be happy together. with me, of course. I realize I'm just the human in the house ...

YEAH ALAFAIR!!! Im so happy that you were able to give Ifa a home. He is one lucky guy to have you for a "mom" and Lupita for a "sis".

thanks!

Ifa and Lupita are currently conducting a standoff in my apartment. Ifa has staked out the hallway and the bedroom, Lupita has got the living room and kitchen covered. the litter box is neutral territory. not sure if anyone is eating, but they're both drinking water. tough love is really funny to watch.
  • Lupita and Ifa have been playing together! hurrah! in a month, they're going to be the best besties ever. what a great, and fast transition.

oh, and Ifa is the biggest snuggler in the world.
  • okay, quick update on this. Ifa apparently lifts his leg to pee, or to mark out territory in the litter box. so my litterbox was kinda dripping! eww!
    I've upgraded to a Clever Cat litter box.
  • alafairnadia wrote: okay, quick update on this. Ifa apparently lifts his leg to pee, or to mark out territory in the litter box. so my litterbox was kinda dripping! eww!
    Clever Cat is the best!
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=alafairnadia]okay, quick update on this. Ifa apparently lifts his leg to pee, or to mark out territory in the litter box. so my litterbox was kinda dripping! eww!
    Clever Cat is the best!

I sure hope it solves this .... not-so-clever problem
This discussion has been closed.