Con Ed Electrical Bills — Brooklynian

Con Ed Electrical Bills

I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment, with a "half bedroom"/office. We have 1 air conditioner, which is never on during the day, except occasionally on the weekends, but has probably been used 75% of the time during the night for the past two months. We also have your standard complement of appliances - 1 medium sized refrigerator, 2 PCs, and a TV that is rarely used. We are generally good about turning lights off in rooms that we're not in.

From when we moved in last October up until a few weeks ago, we had been paying our electricity bill based on estimated usage - around 30$ a month. This past month, we had to phone in our actual usage. Our landlord took care of this, as we don't have access to the meter, as it's in the basement. According to his reading and the last time it was read by a meter technician, our usage for the last 9 months was 4300 kWh, which costs us and additional 680$, on top of the 30$/month we've been paying. Total cost for the period was 875$.

Does this seem realistic? Or, hopefully, is this outrageous and is more likely the result of a reading error? For anyone with a similar sized apartment, what is your monthly cost for electricity?

Comments

• It happened to me too. My estimate was around $30. Then I got nailed with a $400 bill because they finally checked the meter. Now its about $130 a month. It sucks, but it seems normal. Sorry
  • I don't know, that seems really high to me...ours is based on actual use, and it ranges from about $30 in the winter to this last summer bill being $59.49 and that's pretty much the highest it's ever been...and we're in a similar situation to the one you describe (one real bedroom with window unit a/c that we generally use only at night, and a window fan in the kitchen that we leave running in some capacity almost 24/7 year round (our heaters in the winter are on overdrive and in the summer it's intolerably hot in here without a/c, so...) otherwise intermediate TV use, fairly frequent computer use in the evenings, and lights that we're sort of good about turning off.) For the same period, I'd say our bills total about $500 or so.

And we're really not THAT good about the lights.
  • Make sure you're not paying for power that you're not using. Sometimes hallway lights, outlets for hallway vaccuuming, etc, may be on one apartment's line. This is illegal. I don't know hopw to check for this, but it's worth asking Con-Ed.

The other possibility is that there was a bill racked up before you even moved in, and it wasn't recognized befdore because the meter wasn't read. For instance, if they were renovating your apartment between tenants and left the AC running all the time, this could totally do it. You were paying estimated rates until now, and the extra kilowatt-hours have just been lurking there waiting to be read. This happened to me once. Unfortunately, if you never saw the meter, I don't think there's much you can do about it. I got totally screwed for about $200 when I'd only been in the apartment for less than a month.
  • One way to check is to turn off/unplug everything in your apartment and then go look at thye meter - if its still going, you're paying for something else (thats what my mom says to do, anyhow).

My electric bill has recently gone up to 100.00/month for a large 1 bdrm - no AC, but lots of fans. Does the price of crude have anything to do with electric costs? I'd been wondering if I could blame Bush for my electric bill...
  • arielbl wrote: One way to check is to turn off/unplug everything in your apartment and then go look at thye meter - if its still going, you're paying for something else (thats what my mom says to do, anyhow).

My electric bill has recently gone up to 100.00/month for a large 1 bdrm - no AC, but lots of fans. Does the price of crude have anything to do with electric costs? I'd been wondering if I could blame Bush for my electric bill...
    WHAT? That seems really, really outrageous. We have a decent-sized two bedroom with a/c in the bedroom, a fan we move around with us, and a fan in the kitchen that goes 24/7 and I thought this month's $65 was high...it's the highest we've had!

Oh, and as for the turning everything off, you should really unplug it to be safe. A lot of things use a small amount of electricity even when "turned off", such as anything with a remote (it has to keep running the sensor so that when you hit "on" it will pick it up) etc.
  • arielbl wrote: One way to check is to turn off/unplug everything in your apartment and then go look at thye meter - if its still going, you're paying for something else (thats what my mom says to do, anyhow).

I had the exact same situation a few years ago. I was always of the theory that it was due in large part to a shitty fridge though I had no real evidence.
  • My brother had these huge gas bills at his apartment in Philly... and found out he was paying the gas bill for the entire catering kitchen on the ground floor. Mix-ups do happen! (the gas company creditted him all the extra he'd been paying).

Re: my electric. It was 40.00/month when I lived in a studio in the same building, no fans, and was 80.00 for much of the spring. Jeez, 65.00? WITH an AC? maybe there is something wrong with my bill. I am pretty profligate with lighting, but still...
  • arielbl wrote: My brother had these huge gas bills at his apartment in Philly... and found out he was paying the gas bill for the entire catering kitchen on the ground floor. Mix-ups do happen! (the gas company creditted him all the extra he'd been paying).

Re: my electric. It was 40.00/month when I lived in a studio in the same building, no fans, and was 80.00 for much of the spring. Jeez, 65.00? WITH an AC? maybe there is something wrong with my bill. I am pretty profligate with lighting, but still...
    We are bad with lights too...we live in a railroad so if we don't leave lights on in the interior rooms all the time we're home, it's like being in a cave. In the winter our bill is around $35. "Actual reading," not estimated.

Do you have an electric stove, maybe? Ours is gas...

Well at any rate, this is sure making me feel better about my electric bill! :)
This discussion has been closed.