Is Dean St between Nostrand and New York Ave safe?
  • Hi all,

Is the area around Dean St. between Nostrand and New York Avenue safe? We're planning to move in there shortly. How safe is it during late nights (midnight-2am) to and form the nearest subway station?

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments are most appreciated! Thanks :)

• its good. my broker lives there.

• At my old job I used to work late and would walk down at around midnight on Nostrand from the a/c to my apartment on Park and never felt unsafe. I've biked dean never that late but never felt unsafe there.

• Nice, friendly block. You should have no problems.

• Absolutely. I lived on Dean between Brooklyn and Kingston, and would often walk home alone via Dean from Nostrand in the evenings, up to around midnight. As a woman I felt pretty safe, and never had any safety issues when I was walking alone. Between Nostrand and New York is a particularly lovely street with a lot of great families and individuals.

• For the life of me, I can't figure out why this question is raised AFTER the lease is signed.

• PragmaticGuy said:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this question is raised AFTER the lease is signed.

Where did rambo say they lease was signed?

• Could they be "planning to move in shortly" if they have not yet signed a lease?

• Well, the way the paragraph was phrased is that...."we're planning to move there shortly..." makes it sound like it's a done deal. Otherwise I would think it would be phrased more...."we're looking into that area and thinking of moving there." But, maybe I'm wrong

• booklaw said:

Could they be "planning to move in shortly" if they have not yet signed a lease?

That's more or less what I did. I knew I was planning to probably moving into Crown Heights before I signed my lease.

• Thank you all for your reply guys! Really appreciate it and its a relief to find out its safe. :)

And for the guys wondering if we signed the lease already, nope we haven't. We saw the place and found it lovely. We 'plan' to move in there (or sign the lease), but before that wanted an opinion about the safety. Thanks either ways! You guys helped a lot.

Any further suggestions would be highly appreciated as well! Cheers! :)

• Whew, glad that's all straightened out.

• just walk around the area that you normally go home at. if you get a bad feeling don't rent. don't trust anyone's opinion on the area. If you feel safe than rent.

Everyone's personal feeling of safe is different.

My personal thing is if i see a white girl jogging in early morning and night, its safe :p. unless you see her running away from muggers!!

• just walk around the area that you normally go home at. if you get a bad feeling don't rent. don't trust anyone's opinion on the area. If you feel safe than rent.

Everyone's personal feeling of safe is different.

My personal thing is if i see a white girl jogging in early morning and night, its safe :p. unless you see her running away from muggers!!

• How safe do you feel after a year in the apartment?
    Any
    thoughts/suggestions/comments are most appreciated! Thanks :) - See
    more at:
    http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38464/is-dean-st-between-nostrand-and-new-york-ave-safe#sthash.j1MXOyVu.dpuf

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook