3 BEDROOM APARTMENT
FOR RENT $2750.

458 Lincoln Place #2B
Prospect Heights, Brooklyn

OPEN HOUSE
Sunday October 9
12 - 2 PM

Huge Outside Deck
Hardwood floors, Washer / dryer, additional storage in basement, 5 closets, large living / dining room, galley kitchen, 1 bathroom
Great for Family or Share
Apartment 1000 square feet
Deck 225 Square feet
Steps to Brooklyn Museum, Botanical Gardens & Prospect Park
Two Blocks # 2, 3, 4 & 5 trains
No Board Approval
Available Immediately

Licensed Real Estate Broker
Member REBNY
Member LIBOR
We Co broke with everyone!

Comments

• That rent is ludicrous for 1000sq ft. :P "Dream" NY Realty indeed.
  • Yet another broker attempting to claim that a property beyond Washington is still in Prospect Heights...

http://dailyheights.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=958&highlight=boundaries
  • JamesonVandy wrote: Yet another broker attempting to claim that a property beyond Washington is still in Prospect Heights...

http://dailyheights.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=958&highlight=boundaries
    Agreed. This place is definitely NOT in Proho.

Google Maps: 458 Lincoln Pl. (LINK)
  • I think that listing falls within the "disputed territory". I would not call it Prospect Heights, but others do (including some who are not real estate brokers).
  • dailyheights wrote: I think that listing falls within the "disputed territory". I would not call it Prospect Heights, but others do (including some who are not real estate brokers).
    The more honest listing might be "DMZ." That would be one to write home about: "MOM! DAD! I'm so stoked! I got a place in the DMZ!!"
  • dailyheights wrote: I think that listing falls within the "disputed territory". I would not call it Prospect Heights, but others do (including some who are not real estate brokers).
    Fair enough. Does anyone who lives west of Washington Ave. who isn't a real estate broker call Classon and Lincoln Prospect Heights?
  • The Citizens Committee of New York surveyed Prospect Heights, and Prospect Heights thinks it ends at Washington (I got this from Neighborhoods of Brooklyn, edited by John Manbeck).

According to them, no neighborhood claims Washington to Classon, Park to Atlantic -- but I think they put the top corner of Crown Heights at Washington and Park. I'll double check when I get home.
  • I claim it in the name of Petoria!!
  • Ft. Crowspect Slope?
  • lincoln is WEIRD.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=dailyheights]I think that listing falls within the "disputed territory". I would not call it Prospect Heights, but others do (including some who are not real estate brokers).
    Fair enough. Does anyone who lives west of Washington Ave. who isn't a real estate broker call Classon and Lincoln Prospect Heights?

Even I wouldn't go that far. :roll: :twisted:
  • :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where do I sign? Can I watch people getting shot from my huge outdoor deck? Does the lease come with free body armor?
  • daveb wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where do I sign? Can I watch people getting shot from my huge outdoor deck? Does the lease come with free body armor?
    For $2,750 I would think the buildng management would include some human shields.
  • I just looked at the website. They describe the location as "Prospect Park."
  • dailyheights wrote: I just looked at the website. They describe the location as "Prospect Park."
    That's like describing the location of an UES property as "Central Park." Makes no sense.
  • JamesonVandy wrote: [quote=dailyheights]I just looked at the website. They describe the location as "Prospect Park."
    That's like describing the location of an UES property as "Central Park." Makes no sense.

More like describing 3rd ave and 110th St as Central Park.
  • Subject: the fuzzy area

JamesonVandy wrote: The more honest listing might be "DMZ." That would be one to write home about: "MOM! DAD! I'm so stoked! I got a place in the DMZ!!"
    qu'est-ce que c'est DMZ?

i, too, live in that fuzzy area between prospect heights and crown heights.
    to my understanding, though, PH ending at washington doesn't necessarily mean CH *begins* in the same place.
    [for what it's worth, none of my longtime-bklyn-resident friends consider where i live to be CH: man, you definitely ain't in the 'hood]
    :)
  • Subject: Re: the fuzzy area

rulala wrote: [quote=JamesonVandy]The more honest listing might be "DMZ." That would be one to write home about: "MOM! DAD! I'm so stoked! I got a place in the DMZ!!"
    qu'est-ce que c'est DMZ?

DMZ=DeMilitarized Zone aka someplace you really do not want to be without a helmet.
  • Has there already been a thread about what to call this nebulous area? And if Crown Heights doesn't start after Washington, where does it start?
  • Axel Foley wrote: Has there already been a thread about what to call this nebulous area? And if Crown Heights doesn't start after Washington, where does it start?
    Apparently, Rogers Ave. :wink:
    http://dailyheights.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=480
  • Carnivore wrote: Apparently, Rogers Ave.
    About that thread -- it's silly to infer the neighborhood boundaries from text placement in a community district map. The area covered by the label is determined by the font size, which is uniform across the map.

As far as I can tell, the research by Kenneth Jackson is the definitive study of Brooklyn neighborhoods, and it puts the boundary at Washington.
  • I'd really like to see these realtors stop posting here and moving their listings to our wonderful classified section.

This sucks.
  • qtrain wrote: [quote=Carnivore]Apparently, Rogers Ave.
    About that thread -- it's silly to infer the neighborhood boundaries from text placement in a community district map. The area covered by the label is determined by the font size, which is uniform across the map.

As far as I can tell, the research by Kenneth Jackson is the definitive study of Brooklyn neighborhoods, and it puts the boundary at Washington.
    That's what I actually believe, although I'm willing to concede that there may be some non-real-estate-broker people who think otherwise, with at least some evidence to support them. I agree though, The Encyclopedia of New York City is a hard source to dispute.
  • These are the neighborhood boundaries as set out in Neighborhoods of Brooklyn (edited by Jackson and Manbeck):

N. Slope - 4th ave to Prospect Pk w., flatbush to 9th st
    S. Slope - 4th ave to Prospect Pk w., 9th st to prospect expwy
    Prospect heights - flatbush to washington, atlantic to eastern pkwy
    Crown Heights - Washington to Rutland/Sutter, ~Park Pl. to Empire Blvd.
    Bed-Stuy - ~Park Pl. to Flushing Ave., Classon to Broadway/Eastern Pkwy

The area between Park Pl. and Bergen is disputed territory between Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy, and the triangle between Atlantic, Washington, and Classon is unclaimed.

The methodology for establishing the boundaries was to survey the 1,000 largest neighborhood and civic associations, and let them determine their boundaries and their neighbors. They acknowledge that not every boundary will be agreed upon by every resident, but note that they found strong agreement among resident groups, with very few overlaps or unclaimed areas. They also acknowledge that residents who claim to have evidence showing different boundaries most likely forged their documents, and that they eat puppies.

Found a map. Awful scan, though.
    daveb wrote: I'd really like to see these realtors stop posting here and moving their listings to our wonderful classified section.
    I think it's great. I love seeing listings torn apart. If you were moving to a neighborhood, wouldn't you love to see what a resident though of the listing? If we keep the brokers honest, won't that help keep rents down for everybody?
  • qtrain wrote:
    [quote=daveb]I'd really like to see these realtors stop posting here and moving their listings to our wonderful classified section.
    I think it's great. I love seeing listings torn apart. If you were moving to a neighborhood, wouldn't you love to see what a resident though of the listing? If we keep the brokers honest, won't that help keep rents down for everybody?

I am ruminating on a paper for a conference (geographer by trade) that compares brokers assertions to 'reality.' So, you compare broker's assertions about an address as being in "Prospect Heights, to this great map you found plus any official city documentation and what not, then look at corresponding rent asking prices. So if it is listed as Prospect Height, but actually in Crown Heights, is the rent asking price correspondingly higher? Layup! Er, I think...
  • OK, what do you think of this:

THE CLASSIFIEDS
    http://dailyheights.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
  • Hooray for the classifieds section! I'm inclined to leave this topic where it is, though, since it's more meta discussion on what is/isn't PH.
  • qtrain wrote: These are the neighborhood boundaries as set out in Neighborhoods of Brooklyn (edited by Jackson and Manbeck):

N. Slope - 4th ave to Prospect Pk w., flatbush to 9th st
    S. Slope - 4th ave to Prospect Pk w., 9th st to prospect expwy
    Prospect heights - flatbush to washington, atlantic to eastern pkwy
    Crown Heights - Washington to Rutland/Sutter, ~Park Pl. to Empire Blvd.
    Bed-Stuy - ~Park Pl. to Flushing Ave., Classon to Broadway/Eastern Pkwy

The area between Park Pl. and Bergen is disputed territory between Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy, and the triangle between Atlantic, Washington, and Classon is unclaimed.
    i guess i do live in crown heights, then!
    i'm on prospect between classon & franklin.. some people around here say classon is the east end of prospect heights, and so claim to be part of PH.
    but to be honest, it really doesn't "feel" like crown heights until i'm on franklin anyway ;)
This discussion has been closed.