Vet recommendations? — Brooklynian

Vet recommendations?

Specifically for cats, in Ditmas/Kensington. Anyone know of a good vet? Thanks.

Comments

• Subject: Pet Haven Animal Hosptial

Pet Haven Animal Hosptal is located at 290 McDonald Ace. 11218
    718 435 6900

I have been taking my cats there for years.

THe two vets are Dr. Ketchner and Dr. Caruso. Both are excellent vets. I like that they do not suggest un-needed tests.(to inflate the price) When tests are needed they fully explain why. I think they are the best vets around. THere is also parking on the side of the bldg. ALl the staff are friendly. But most important i think my pets get good care.
  • Subject: Vets

I have also used Pet Haven for the last 9 years. Dr. Keschner saved our cat's life 4 years ago. He did kidney surgery and Lucky is fine. They are all very friendly in the office and give excellent care, which is the primary thing for pet parents.
  • Subject: Vetrinarian

I would recommend:
    Dr. Kofi Nyanin
    Address: 561 Clinton St
    City,State: Brooklyn,NY
    Phone number(s): (718) 965-3411

My wife and I have used him for 10 years now with our 5 cats, and several others who passed on (21 years old is remarkable for a tabby).

He has always treated our animals with great care, given us straight information on their health and treatment, and while he is not cheap there are MANY who are move expensive.
    His clinic is call Gracie veterinary clinic. It is named after a former cat of his.
  • Well, we took the cat to Pet Haven, and while we feel that they gave our cat decent care for the most part, we felt that the vet and her assistant were rather cold to us, not really interested in answering our questions about our pet's health and ways we could be proactive about it, and judgemental towards us about the fact that our cat is kinda fat. As if we could somehow make her jog, or something!

In addition, there was something in their office that *really* disturbed me: they had a really sweet kitten in need of a home, in a large cage in the waiting room. I noticed that the kitten's tail was stripped of most of its fur. I wondered about this, until two women with a big, boisterous dog on a choke chain (a pit bull, I think, but I'm not sure) entered the waiting room. Their dog lunged repeatedly at the kitten, landing on top of me since I was playing with the kitten. The dog really wanted to get at the poor thing, which was about the size of one of its paws. The two women with the dog were awful, not disciplining their creature at all, but encouraging it, telling it to "Play with the kitten!". While the dog lurched, barked, and snapped its jaws at him, he cowered, hissed, and tried to take cover in his litterbox. His hair stood on end and he was methodically chewing the hair off his tail. Given how little hair was left on his tail, I think this must be a repeat experience. Not one staff person said or did anything to stop these fools from allowing their huge dog to bite at this little creature and to jump all over other people. So this office isn't caring for this very small and vulnerable animal at all, instead allowing him to be terrorized by any larger animal that comes into the office. I don't want to take my cat back to them.
  • Subject: Vet care

I;m sorry you had this happen at Pet Haven. We have only seen Dr. Keschner for Lucky. I found Dr. Caruso to be on the cold side also and request the appointment with him only. There has been a kitten in the front room for a long time now. The kitten is never the same one. I got into the back room to play with the kittens they have too. I am there every two weeks to get Lucky his presciption food and the staff has always been nice. I'm not sure why they did not say anything to the dog owner for not keeping their dog in check in the waiting room. You should have told the lady behind the desk about it.
  • i know you were looking in the area, but I take my cat to Animal Kind (Park Slope). If you search through the archives (under pet section) there have been big debates on them. I have had great and 1 or 2 not so good experiences there. I still am happy with them. I recommend going to see Dr. Weiser there. She's great and personable.
  • I almost never post on this board but I so agree with Darla and her recommendation for Animal Kind, located in park Slope. trust me a milion percent that nothing like you describe would happen in AK. yes there is debate about this place as you will see in the archives but mostly it is about people who just don't get that top notch care in brooklyn will cost what top notch care costs in Manhattan.

Animal Kind is an amazing facility... check them out..

Dr. Jodi Weisser and Dr. Karen Matiak.... top of my list.
  • I used to go to Animal Kind but they horribly misdiagnosed my brother's cat. Apparently they've gone "down hill" since Dr. Gibson expanded. I switched to a vet in north williamsburg. I would look at reviews on yelp.com
  • I've been going to the Prospect Park Animal Clinic on PPW. One of their receptionists is a tad, uh, moody, but I have had great experiences with all of the vets there, and with the other pet owners, too.
  • brooklynleather wrote: I used to go to Animal Kind but they horribly misdiagnosed my brother's cat. Apparently they've gone "down hill" since Dr. Gibson expanded. I switched to a vet in north williamsburg. I would look at reviews on yelp.com
    I don't know how long ago you actually used Animal Kind. Dr. Gibson's "expansions" was long ago.. if you mean he is not a solo practitioner. He is not the only vet there. There are many good vets and they are open 7 days a week and 6 nites out of 7 till midnite for emergency care. I so allow everyone's opinions about any Vet but if you ever had to run in to Manhattan at 11pm with a sick animal it is easy to appreciate the facility that Dr. Gibson has evolved on 7th Ave. The lab work is done on site and other high tech immediate diagnostic machinery that I hope your pets never need.

Any vet or doctor for that matter can mis-diagnose and in fact if that situation happened to me or my pet I would be ill inclined to use that doctor/vet again. But...I am simply making the point that in my experience... more than 10 years... I am grateful that this facility is within a short walk or ride from all the neighborhoods in "downtown "Brooklyn.
  • The misdiagnosis of my brother's cat was recent. I am sorry that anyone would ever need emergency pet care and it is great they offer it but I think the amount of customers (patients) they have to deal with may have crossed or be crossing a threshhold.

Animal Kind came recommended to me by way of Slope Street Cats, where I adopted my cats...
  • Subject: I have had good experiences with Animal Kind

In particular, I like Dr. Salas and Dr. Morehead. They are very busy and time spent in the waiting room there is unpleasant, because it's so small and there are often big dogs. However, so far as the actual medical care, I think it's quite good. At least it has been in my experience...I can't comment on the less than positive experiences that some others are commenting on.
  • http://www.hopevet.com/

Hands down. It's on Atlantic, but is well worth the cab ride.
  • I've lived in the neighborhood for over 20 years and have always heard mixed reviews about Pet Haven, Animal Kind was not very kind to me or my pets so I have found a wonderful vet BUT and there is always a but, she is located over on Ave P and Nostrand,,,its called Noah's Ark and like daveb says,,,its worth the cab ride!
  • Avoid this facility. They operate out of a dilapidated building next to a dilapidated gas station. The sanitary conditions are horrendous. Buckets of biohazard materials sitting around (on closer inspection, or I wouldve avoided this place), unclean surfaces and extremely bad manners. They have some regular customers they may care for, but they kill a lot of animals by rushing them through non sterile surgeries or sitting them *while dying* on the sidelines to take care of the neighbors animals that they know.

They will let people adopt sick kittens, they once placed contageous animals in a viewing cage in the waiting room, other animals get sick and guess what, they need expensive surgery. This is like a tire repair place putting tacks in the roadway, it happens. Avoid this place.

They killed my pet by performing standard spay surgery and causing massive internal infection. They wanted more money to fix the infection and ultimately killed her after sticking needles into all four legs, her neck and sides.

These positive reviews were written by their staff. This place and the vets working in it need to have their license taken from them.
  • KeschnerMichaelDVM wrote: Avoid this facility. They operate out of a dilapidated building next to a dilapidated gas station. The sanitary conditions are horrendous. Buckets of biohazard materials sitting around (on closer inspection, or I wouldve avoided this place), unclean surfaces and extremely bad manners. They have some regular customers they may care for, but they kill a lot of animals by rushing them through non sterile surgeries or sitting them *while dying* on the sidelines to take care of the neighbors animals that they know.

They will let people adopt sick kittens, they once placed contageous animals in a viewing cage in the waiting room, other animals get sick and guess what, they need expensive surgery. This is like a tire repair place putting tacks in the roadway, it happens. Avoid this place.

They killed my pet by performing standard spay surgery and causing massive internal infection. They wanted more money to fix the infection and ultimately killed her after sticking needles into all four legs, her neck and sides.

These positive reviews were written by their staff. This place and the vets working in it need to have their license taken from them.
    I'd like to hear your response to DitmasDancer. I know there are multiple sides to every story, but I find the story of the cat chewing it's fur off out of fear very disturbing.
This discussion has been closed.