Brooklyn Pizza Factory on Vanderbilt
  • Looks like another new business is opening on Vanderbilt. It's between Park & Prospect, next to Aliseo. The piece of paper posted in the window says "Brooklyn Pizza Factory".
  • It would be so awesome if it were good, but I won't let myself get my hopes up.
  • wonder if this is the same place that was hiring through craigslist...
    my guess would be yes
  • I'm a little surprised someone would open a pizza place across the street from Amorina but I'll take it.
  • Ms. Brooklyn wrote: I'm a little surprised someone would open a pizza place across the street from Amorina but I'll take it.

Amorina is great but sometimes you just want a regular slice.
  • pnlop wrote: Amorina is great but sometimes you just want a regular slice.

If you haven't tried Amorina's take-out slices, you really don't know what you are missing. Entirely different from their other pizzas or any other slices in town. Amazing stuff.
  • putz wrote: [quote=pnlop]Amorina is great but sometimes you just want a regular slice.

If you haven't tried Amorina's take-out slices, you really don't know what you are missing. Entirely different from their other pizzas or any other slices in town. Amazing stuff.

unfortunately, they're almost always out when I want one, and they close pretty early. there's something special about a 3 a.m. slice of pizza.
  • Subject: PIZZA PIZZA

Like i said in the post about weathered up, why do we need another pizzeria??? Why in the world, you guys want a butcher shop and yet the mom and pops store are being driven out by a pizza factory, i rather go to Antonio's and support their amazing greasy pizza, we have alizeo, we have Franny;s, zaytoons, and olive vine do pizza, so why the hell in the world do we need another pizzeria on Vanderbilt...Hey you can even get a curry pizza on Washington ave and Bergen, this is getting out of control. Can some one come up with a unique business concept instead of bombarding us with more useless stuff that we already have around?? Hey how about another high end wine shop??
  • if antonio's were open at 2 a.m., I'd agree with you.
  • alafairnadia wrote: there's something special about a 3 a.m. slice of pizza.

^^ That is no joke. The state of jeffrey releases you its delegates.
  • Antonio's is over-priced for the quality of pizza you get. For my money Gino's on Washington is much better (and sub-10$ for a pie). I'd say the only thing around here that rivals it would be Aniello's on 5th Ave and 11th St. - though i think they have closed up shop (anyone know what the deal was/is with them?).
  • LincolnAnnex wrote: Antonio's is over-priced for the quality of pizza you get. For my money Gino's on Washington is much better (and sub-10$ for a pie). I'd say the only thing around here that rivals it would be Aniello's on 5th Ave and 11th St. - though i think they have closed up shop (anyone know what the deal was/is with them?).

Yeah, Gino's on Washington was my to-go spot for a regular slice, until a few weeks ago, when I saw not one, but TWO large cockroaches crawling on the wall while I was eating. I threw out what I had not eaten, and left. I know all restaurants in this town have pest issues, but if it's so out of control they're crawling around during daylight hours in front of customers....too hardcore for me. I love Amorina's slices, and will be happy to stick to those.
  • Subject: Pizza Pizza

Its amazing of what this neighborhood is doing! Once again, why do we need another pizzeria? There are 2 pizzeria's going up now one next to Le gamin and the other one at Muddy , so there will be 3 pizzeria's plus zaytoon's pizza withinh 4 blocks of each other. So are where is the innovative thinking on this hood??
  • Subject: Re: Pizza Pizza

sneakyonstmarks wrote: Its amazing of what this neighborhood is doing! Once again, why do we need another pizzeria? There are 2 pizzeria's going up now one next to Le gamin and the other one at Muddy , so there will be 3 pizzeria's plus zaytoon's pizza withinh 4 blocks of each other. So are where is the innovative thinking on this hood??

How is this any doing of "this neighborhood"? Did the neighborhood have a meeting and decide on a new pizza place? Funny, I thought that business owners opened businesses. Get off yer keyboard and innovate your own business.

i think i will open another Pizzeria, another cocktail lounge with a egg whites another French restaurant, another barber shop, another high end wine shop and i think i am innovative as ever! Hold on i think i will push out the Dominican Restaurant , the weave place across the street , the bodega on St marks and i think we are done!

MOD NOTE: edited to remove name calling, which is against the rules. consider this your warning to BE NICE.

sneakyonstmarks wrote: i think i will open another Pizzeria, another cocktail lounge with a egg whites another French restaurant, another barber shop, another high end wine shop and i think i am innovative as ever! Hold on i think i will push out the Dominican Restaurant , the weave place across the street , the bodega on St marks and i think we are done!

MOD NOTE: edited to remove name calling, which is against the rules. consider this your warning to BE NICE.

Sounds great!! You looking for investors?

sneakyonstmarks wrote: i think i will open another Pizzeria, another cocktail lounge with a egg whites another French restaurant, another barber shop, another high end wine shop and i think i am innovative as ever! Hold on i think i will push out the Dominican Restaurant , the weave place across the street , the bodega on St marks and i think we are done!

as long as you name the dominican restaurant something cuban, you're golden.
  • fred333 wrote: Sounds like a plan.

SLAP
  • Yeah, I have to agree with all the complainers. There's already Franny's and Amorina.. why would you want to open another pizza place?
  • Saw a big sign for this up today. I'm not enough of a pizza fan to be psyched about this... I'd rather have Sorrel back...
  • I have to agree—Amorino and Franny's provide the nabe with some superlative pizza. But got to wait and see, as they could be doing something different that both the aforementioned establishments are not offering...
  • I'm gonna agree with the posters who mention the later closing hour
    if your going to get more bars in the area you need something to snack on late night too... pizza and hopefully at least garlic knots certainly helps if you dont want a burger
  • yea. i am disappointed in this too.... i REALLY wish we had a good butcher and a good place to get fish.

new pizza place? zzzzzzz god. why?
  • yea. i am disappointed in this too.... i REALLY wish we had a good butcher and a good place to get fish.

PPG—maybe you can open a spot? we need more mavericks to do these things—open needed businesses in the nabe—and less people complaining about the lack of such establishments.

I'm just sayin...no offense to you...
  • Im actually kind of psyched for a real pizza place on vandy.

Amorina is good but they only offer plain slices and as mentioned before close early. Frannys is dead to me, that place is way too annoying. first they offer a topping that is described as turnips fried jewish ghetto style whatever the hell that means and the time i went they refused to cut my pie into slices because it was the "traditionall" way of serving pizza.

now if the muddy waters place is in fact another pizza place i will admit thats a bit too much. what we really need is a good bagel spot. im tired of walking all the way to bergen bagels
  • Fjord wrote:
    yea. i am disappointed in this too.... i REALLY wish we had a good butcher and a good place to get fish.

PPG—maybe you can open a spot? we need more mavericks to do these things—open needed businesses in the nabe—and less people complaining about the lack of such establishments.

I'm just sayin...no offense to you...

Well, you see, if i had money to open a business, then I would open a butcher/fish shop. But since I don't, I will complain about the lack of such establishments all I want to.

You best believe I am going to eat there! I am all about supporting any local business. As dumb as it would be to avoid a new place just to be a jerk, I think it's just as dumb that we have 4 pizza places within a 5 block radius.
  • You best believe I am going to eat there! I am all about supporting any local business. As dumb as it would be to avoid a new place just to be a jerk, I think it's just as dumb that we have 4 pizza places within a 5 block radius.

Right there with you PPG! I'll try this joint although I worship @ the altar of Amorina (and Franny's when I'm cash-flush). Let's hit this place after getting all trashed on low-fi American beer over at Plan B—oh yes, and let's be rowdy as we jaywalk! The Yankees win! THEEEEEEEEE YANKEES! WIN!
  • jgregorie wrote: they refused to cut my pie into slices because it was the "traditionall" way of serving pizza.

Wow. You're the third person to tell me about that snooty franny's experience.

I made the mistake of asking for onions on something once and if looks could kill, i'd have been dead, the way that waitress looked at me!
  • This place looked open this evening. Did anyone stop by...check out the menu?
  • Subject: Pizza

tried the Factory today for lunch and i have to say for all the talk about this place its nothing more than another pizzeria and not even up to Amorina's , Franny's or even Antonio's. Nothing spectacular about it, just another neighborhood boring Pizzeria, still going to Antonio's for their yummy greasy pizza!!
  • Subject: Re: Pizza

sneakyonstmarks wrote: tried the Factory today for lunch and i have to say for all the talk about this place its nothing more than another pizzeria and not even up to Amorina's , Franny's or even Antonio's. Nothing spectacular about it, just another neighborhood boring Pizzeria, still going to Antonio's for their yummy greasy pizza!!

I'm shocked you didn't like this place. Really seemed like you wanted to give it a chance.
  • Does anyone know if I get get a menu for this place online? I searched and could not even find a phone number.
  • Subject: best pizza...period

this has to be by far the best pizza i have ever tasted. no one's pizza on vanderbilt even compares. nd btw they do have a phone number:718-789-7800 would highly recomend his grandma pie . do try this place u will def be pleased =)
  • Walked over there, they do not have menus yet -probably next week. Pizza looked fresh and good but I didn't try it.

Does anyone know if there is any California style pizza around here. I would love a bbq chicken pizza.
  • Hmm...I thought this thread was about Brooklyn Pizza Factory. So has anyone tried it yet? Is it any good?
  • Subject: not bad!

Funny I should see this post, I just came back from there. I don't pay enough attention to know it was new. I was heading to get a bite at the prospect perk and then stop at my new favorite wine store on Vanderbilt when i saw the pizza sign. When i walked in it seemed everything had veggies so i asked if they had actual meat in here. They did, so i got two slices of mushroom and peperoni to go. It wasn't bad, certainly filled me up. Could be a little thinner and have the topics a little more baked in for my taste, but i'd go again. I wonder if they have hawaiian pizza. SPAM please!!!
  • anyone know how late they're open?
  • I have to say I'm borderline delirious about it, but then again I would be happy if every other storefront was riffing on the pizza theme. I love, and I mean LOVE Amorina, I love the tricolore, I love the vibe, the people are so mellow and the slices are fantastic, but the hours are a little tough to handle. I haven't seen any sign of the place mentioned next to gamin yet.
    As for the Factory I had a slice, and I was glad that it wasn't awful, and maybe a little disappointed that it wasn't the best either. My sense is the place is going to have to work hard to stay afloat, which I hope they do! The narrow entry is a bit forbidding and the staff hanging around just waiting to serve is a growing pain it seems every new restaurant has to pass through, but the plain slice has to ratchet it up a notch to succeed. This could mean any number of things, but they're going to have to figure out which way to go, ie, thinner crust, less cheese, whatever... In the meantime I'm going to take the man's advice and try the grandma slice. Hope they make it.
  • Ordered a pie last night. My quick take - pretty good/fresh ingredients (I had fresh mozz and pepperoni), but execution needs work. Crust was thin in the middle, thick and bread-y on the outside. Would like to see them ratchet up the oven temp a bit, too, specially if their crust is supposed to be on the thinner side. Promising, though.
  • joeypizza wrote: this has to be by far the best pizza i have ever tasted. no one's pizza on vanderbilt even compares. nd btw they do have a phone number:718-789-7800 would highly recomend his grandma pie . do try this place u will def be pleased =)

Haha. Shill.
  • i stopped by last night to pick up a menu but they said there printer screwed up so they had to have them redone. i would have gotten a slice but i had to hit the gym 1st.

looked good though, im going to try them this weekend.
  • just stopped by and had a whole wheat crust slice with diced tomatoes and goat cheese....I dunno what they call it, but it was well seasoned and deeeelissshhhhuuus. Really tasty. Not cheap ($4), but good (even if a tad underdone). My kids liked their plain slices. ($2.50). I like Amorina but feel like it's "eating out" when I go there, compared to just grabbing a slice at this place. Two different universes and expectations of quality entirely. They expect to have take out menus on Saturday morning. They also have some nice-sounding salads on the menu, and the owner and his staff seem very excited about being here, and eager to please us PHers.
  • Had the fresh mozz slice, with red pepper flakes. Very fresh crust. Overall really hit the spot. Will eat again. Out.

Bricktop wrote: just stopped by and had a whole wheat crust slice with diced tomatoes and goat cheese....I dunno what they call it, but it was well seasoned and deeeelissshhhhuuus. Really tasty. Not cheap ($4), but good (even if a tad underdone). My kids liked their plain slices. ($2.50). I like Amorina but feel like it's "eating out" when I go there, compared to just grabbing a slice at this place. Two different universes and expectations of quality entirely. They expect to have take out menus on Saturday morning. They also have some nice-sounding salads on the menu, and the owner and his staff seem very excited about being here, and eager to please us PHers.
  • so, we ordered a pie last night, pepperoni, mushrooms and black olives. i have to say that i told the husband that the cheese tasted a little sketchy, but he thought it was just because we reheated the thing after putting the wee one to bed. well. i won't get graphic at all, but there's no way we're giving this place a second chance. all day today we both had seriously distressed bellies-- thank goodness we didn't give the pizza-lovin munchkin a slice before she went down. don't know if the pep was cheapo, or the ill-tasting cheese, or the water-logged 'shrooms, but it'll be a long long while before we try them again. the place on washington (the one up the road from tom's, is that gino's?) they do just fine to suffice the hankering for a slice.
    joeypizza, go shill some other suckers.
    some of y'all really liked this place? come on, all they have to do is make a good slice and they'll be set. please, go buy some good quality cheese.
  • Subject: Pizza on Vanderbilt

My girlfriend and I went there last night and enjoyed it. The guys working there were all super friendly. We tried the plain, spinach, a slice with no sauce but fresh tomato and goat's cheese and a pepperoni roll. It was all good. Sure maybe it won't win an awards for the best pizza on earth and it certainly won't convince all you who have been dissing on it since day one, but when you're leaving Soda at midnight it will really hit the spot.
    For all the trash talk regarding this place, I'm glad it's in the neighborhood. Speaking as someone who works late hours, finding a place to grab a quick bite to take home is a pain in the ass after ten, unless I want Chinese/Mexican. This place is open till 11 on weeknights and midnight or 1 on weekends.
    I say welcome.
  • Stopped by w/my little one after school. The slices are expensive (3.75), the crust is thin to nearly non-existent in the middle and there is only one size for the pizza (delivered) and it's only six slices....not impressed.

If I want to pay that price, I'm going to order from La Villa!
  • "putz" wrote: [quote=pnlop]Amorina is great but sometimes you just want a regular slice.

So true! And you want one on the way home. Many times I wished there was a place to get a slice around here.
  • jgregorie wrote: Im actually kind of psyched for a real pizza place on vandy.

Amorina is good but they only offer plain slices and as mentioned before close early. .

Actually, Amorina offers (all of their) toppings on their slices now. 2 slices w/1 topping each for $5, $6 with a soda, I believe. Best deal in the nabe IMHO.
  • I was walking home from O'Connors on Friday night hungry for a snack and I was so happy to see this place was open. It was sometime around midnight. I got two slices to go for five bucks. The slices were very large and satisfied my craving. The crust tasted of garlic and I liked the semolina texture. Other than that, you know, it's a slice. I grabbed a Take-Out menu to bring with me.
  • Had a pie delivered last night. For reference, we are fans of Joe's on 7th Ave.

BPF pie was a lot smaller and $1 more than what we get at Joe's ($20 for large pie, 2 toppings at BPF). The crust was thicker than your average NY pie, but didn't have any of the thin areas others have had. Toppings weren't spectacular, but not bad either. We'd order there again, but Joe's hasn't been replaced in my book.
  • I had a slice and a square for lunch. Not that great.
  • Idlewild wrote: I had a slice and a square for lunch. It's pretty bad stuff. Some of the worst pizza I've had actually. You're better off putting some Ragu and Poly-O on a graham cracker and heating it up. It'll taste a lot better.

Unfortunately have to agree. Growing up in nyc, I've had a lot of good pizza, bad pizza, and "bad but strangely delicious" pizza This stuff is just bad and not even cheap. Kinda reminded me of... Elio's frozen pizza / oldskool bowling alley pizza.
  • Kinda reminded me of... Elio's frozen pizza / oldskool bowling alley pizza.

I think you hit the nail on the head w/that statement!

MOD EDIT: Fixed your quote tags
  • sje wrote: [quote=LincolnAnnex]Antonio's is over-priced for the quality of pizza you get. For my money Gino's on Washington is much better (and sub-10$ for a pie). I'd say the only thing around here that rivals it would be Aniello's on 5th Ave and 11th St. - though i think they have closed up shop (anyone know what the deal was/is with them?).

Yeah, Gino's on Washington was my to-go spot for a regular slice, until a few weeks ago, when I saw not one, but TWO large cockroaches crawling on the wall while I was eating. I threw out what I had not eaten, and left. I know all restaurants in this town have pest issues, but if it's so out of control they're crawling around during daylight hours in front of customers....too hardcore for me. I love Amorina's slices, and will be happy to stick to those.

Don't say anything about the roaches or everyone will want one!
  • We ordered a pie for delivery yesterday. It was in between bad and meh.

My wife noted that she no longer wants to eat anywhere with the word "factory" in the name.

Hopefully this place improves, as I'd love to see it succeed. In the meantime, we'll stick to Antonio's for delivery.
  • Mrs. C picked up a couple of Margherita slices with fresh (white) mozzerella, basil and sauce. The crust was kind of weird, with too much cornmeal, but the sauce and cheese were pretty tasty. It was too expensive for what it was, and since pizza is really all about the crust, I don't see going back, but the sauce (on the Margherita pie at least) was definitely not Ragu.
  • If you're going to name your business "Brooklyn Pizza Factory," you had better bring it qualitywise or have some sort of interesting concept. otherwise, you've got a real stupid name for your business.

just my $0.02....

Funny that when i heard the name of the place i thought it was going to be an innovative pizzeria but its has been a complete let down. There will be another Italian Pizzeria joint next to Les gamins, which brings me to think that Vanderbilt is becoming the next Little Italy or Pizza row!! Pizzeria on Bergen and Washington, 2 pizzerias plus an Italian restauran on Vanderbilt between Prospect and Park, Pizzeria on Flatbush between Prospect and Saint Marks, Pizzeria on Dean and 6th, Pizzeria on Flatbush and Bergen, Pizzeria on Flatbush and Carlton, who knew that Prospect Heights had so many Pizza lovers. Maybe i will come up with a business plan to open a Pizzeria warehouse!!

sneakyonstmarks wrote: Funny that when i heard the name of the place i thought it was going to be an innovative pizzeria but its has been a complete let down. There will be another Italian Pizzeria joint next to Les gamins, which brings me to think that Vanderbilt is becoming the next Little Italy or Pizza row!! Pizzeria on Bergen and Washington, 2 pizzerias plus an Italian restauran on Vanderbilt between Prospect and Park, Pizzeria on Flatbush between Prospect and Saint Marks, Pizzeria on Dean and 6th, Pizzeria on Flatbush and Bergen, Pizzeria on Flatbush and Carlton, who knew that Prospect Heights had so many Pizza lovers. Maybe i will come up with a business plan to open a Pizzeria warehouse!!

Actually Prospect Heights, at least as far as Vanderbilt & Washington are concerned were stocked with pizzerias at one time. I remember four or five on Vanderbilt alone going back to the '90's. The Park Slope Flatbush side was as well. I believe Antonio's and the one by Pintchick's (Gino's?) are OG's. Do you think you could open a fried clam house instead? I don't care if theyre soft bellies or cherrystones.
  • Plucky Purcell wrote: [quote=Idlewild]I had a slice and a square for lunch. It's pretty bad stuff. Some of the worst pizza I've had actually. You're better off putting some Ragu and Poly-O on a graham cracker and heating it up. It'll taste a lot better.

Unfortunately have to agree. Growing up in nyc, I've had a lot of good pizza, bad pizza, and "bad but strangely delicious" pizza This stuff is just bad and not even cheap. Kinda reminded me of... Elio's frozen pizza / oldskool bowling alley pizza.

Got a cheese slice here earlier today and could not agree more. Makes Antonio look like Mario Batali. I cannot fathom why someone would open a place like this, except perhaps with the expectation of servicing the fratty bridge-and-tunnel types who may be coming to the neighborhood if/when the Nets stadium is built.
  • got a slice there for the 1st time last night. the place is really expensive my fresh mozzarella slice was $3.50 and really not all that great.

next time im in the mood for pizza im going back to amorina.
  • Subject: Pizza

I used to love the Pizzeria that was where Amorina is now, very sweet Greek Jewish Family, but that was about the only Pizzeria on Vanderbilt and i have been here since 84...

Anyhow, went to Franny's a couple of nights ago and i have always have been apprehensive about the place and the Bruni came out with that overtly rated review which to this day i find it to be mind F$cking boggling!! Went there for dinner and i could not help but notice that there was a staff of 8 on the floor which for a tiny restaurant is very crowded and from what i heard the staff is trained for like a week and i just thought what kind of questions are patrons asking, is there cheese and tomato sauce on this pizza or is that basil or Oregano?. The choices on the menu are so minimal ,3 choices of pasta or 5 Pizza's, the appetizer's are the only good think on the menu, the crust is too thin, sometimes the crust is burnt like a corpse after a 5 alarm fire. So what is the big deal about Franny's? In my humble opinion Franny's is no better than Amorina's. I def don't want to go and spend $80 bucks for two on Asparagus, almond crostini, 2 pizza's and a glass of wine. Over rated!!!

NO MORE PIZZERIA"S PLEASE!!!
  • Subject: Bagels Anyone?

Yes, a place to get a bagel with a fried egg would be superb!!!
  • Subject: Re: Pizza

sneakyonstmarks wrote: I used to love the Pizzeria that was where Amorina is now, very sweet Greek Jewish Family, but that was about the only Pizzeria on Vanderbilt and i have been here since 84...

Anyhow, went to Franny's a couple of nights ago and i have always have been apprehensive about the place and the Bruni came out with that overtly rated review which to this day i find it to be mind F$cking boggling!! Went there for dinner and i could not help but notice that there was a staff of 8 on the floor which for a tiny restaurant is very crowded and from what i heard the staff is trained for like a week and i just thought what kind of questions are patrons asking, is there cheese and tomato sauce on this pizza or is that basil or Oregano?. The choices on the menu are so minimal ,3 choices of pasta or 5 Pizza's, the appetizer's are the only good think on the menu, the crust is too thin, sometimes the crust is burnt like a corpse after a 5 alarm fire. So what is the big deal about Franny's? In my humble opinion Franny's is no better than Amorina's. I def don't want to go and spend $80 bucks for two on Asparagus, almond crostini, 2 pizza's and a glass of wine. Over rated!!!

NO MORE PIZZERIA"S PLEASE!!!

I have never seen anyone come down so hard on pizza.
  • Anyhow, went to Franny's a couple of nights ago and i have always have been apprehensive about the place and the Bruni came out with that overtly rated review which to this day i find it to be mind F$cking boggling!!

I thought we were talkin' bout Brooklyn Pizza Factory? Anyway—Sneaky I bet you will find many, many people who'll disagree with you on this. IMHO, Franny's is excellent pizza, delicious every time I go there. The "burnt" parts (very small) you mentioned are what happens when you cook pizza in a wood-fired oven. It is pricey, but you get what you pay for: artisan ingredients of the highest quality. Franny's is a jewel in PH, and although we go about once every 6-8 weeks or so—that reminds me, we're due!—it has always been a positive, tasty experience.
  • I'm not a fan of franny's pizza but the pasta is to die for. bucatini now, please! yum!
  • Franny's is awesome (if insanely expensive). And the waitstaff definitely needs to decipher the apps and pastas for me as they use a lot of unique ingredients.
  • Subject: Amorina, that's Amore

So far I've had the pies at Anthony's, Franny's, BPF and Amorina. I enjoyed Amorina tremendously. Great pizza, a neat atmosphere--love the Italian coke sign and really fresh coffee. Plus it looked like they had plain table wine in a carafe. Awesome.
  • We really need an Uncle Luigi's in that Muddy Waters space....I'll run the place if anyone out there wants to bankroll it.....PM me if you do!
  • We really need an Uncle Luigi's in that Muddy Waters space....I'll run the place if anyone out there wants to bankroll it.....PM me if you do!

That space is cursed. I'd have a sage bonfire up in there if that were my new biz location—BTW, that's a killer location on the block.
  • Yeah Franny's pasta is amazing. For pizza I prefer Amorina.

What we need in Vanderbilt is a good Vietnamese sandwich place....like Nicky's.....yum
  • Antonio's pizza is lame, pure and simple.

Suitable to feed children, or to make you wish you had not eaten there.
  • WhyFi wrote: Ordered a pie last night. My quick take - pretty good/fresh ingredients (I had fresh mozz and pepperoni), but execution needs work. Crust was thin in the middle, thick and bread-y on the outside. Would like to see them ratchet up the oven temp a bit, too, specially if their crust is supposed to be on the thinner side. Promising, though.

WhyFi wrote the above in May and I went there today and ordered a Margharita pie and feel the same way: crust was thin in the middle, thick and bready on the outside and not piping hot. Not undercooked but... well. WhyFi said it best: ratchet up the oven temp.

It was ok but I'm regretting getting a whole pie and not going to Amorina's.
  • ^^^ no improvement in 3 months? Ouch...

Thank you, ma'am, for the update - I pass by often, and I've been feeling guilty for not giving them another try... I guess that I can stop feeling guilty now.
  • I guess I'm in the minority here, but I find the pizza there perfectly decent. No, it's nothing mindblowing, but it's a nice break from the heaviness of Antonio's and the gourmet-ness of Amorina.
  • Pizza factory is good, honest pizza; not great but not bad for a simple pie or slice which is what it is trying to be. The owner is really nice and not trying to reinvent the wheel. I have to admit that I usually order from Antonino's for that kind of pizza.
  • We just ate there... pretty tasty!
  • Update 2013:

Brooklyn Pizza Factory is still there! If you wanted to, and had $1.2M, you could buy the building it is located in and be their landlord...

http://www.masseyknakal.com/listings/detail.aspx?lst=22163

• $1.2M seems like a pretty good price for this. Could make yourself a nice duplex out of the apartments.

Anyone have a ballpark estimate of how much rent the Pizza Factory might pay?

(Just daydreaming. I'd call the realtor if I were in a position to buy it.)

• the pizza factory pays $3600 / month

( lease is up in 2017)

• Thanks, very interesting.

• Before we write a check, we should note that this property is only 12' wide.

• Yeah, it's pretty narrow.

But, okay, back of envelope: Bankrate.com says you can get about a 4.4% mortgage now. With 20% down that gets you a monthly payment of $4,793.

Subtract the $3,600 in rent and add the $1,410 in taxes a month, and you end up paying $2,602 a month for (almost) 2500 square feet of living space (and someone else paying most of your mortgage for you).

Seems like a pretty good deal.

Of course, I have no idea what actual loan you might get for a property like this. Plus there's the added risk of what happens when the lease is up. Plus it probably needs renovation. Plus you'd have to kick out tenants who are, no doubt, lovely folks.

Ooh, but first thing I'd do is put in those mini-split A/C units. Mmmmmm. I smell a bidding war.

• Those aren't investment property mortgage rates....which are higher, and require a higher percent down.

• steveo said:

you end up paying $2,602 a month for (almost) 2500 square feet of living space (and someone else paying most of your mortgage for you).

The whole building is only 2250 sq feet, so there's no way you end up with 2500 sq ft of living space. Ex-ground floor, you'd get 1500 sq feet...a good portion of which would be lost to stairways/hallways.

• On the plus side, you might get all the pizza you could eat.

• @bricktop: Yeah, I was wondering about the mortgage rate -- thought maybe if I lived there it would be the regular jumbo house rate.

@arches: Oh, you're right. I was looking at the lot size which says 12.5x100 feet. But I see now that the building is only 60 feet long. But even 1000 square feet is pretty good for that price.

@whynot_31: Exactly!

• Pizza factory closed on Jan 1 as per a post, that was lost during the recent board re-org.  
  • I walked past the brooklyn pizza factory yesterday afternoon. The place was completely gutted, looked like the pizza ovens were removed. Kind of a shame, the place was over priced and had a mediocre slice but it was nice to have the option. Prospect Heights is sorely lacking in pizza now. I don't go to Amorina any more, Is it just me or has it gone way down hill the past few months?
  • I like Antonio's. I know that it's over on the PS side of Flatbush, so it probably doesn't count for a PH pizza, but still a pretty decent pie, IMO.Re: Amorina. I have to admit that I've only been there a couple of times. Each time I found the pizza to be OK, but the service to be a bit lackadaisical.
  • The new version/location of Gino's on Washington is good.The prior location was gross.
  • Just noticed scaffolding outside the old Brooklyn Pizza Factory location. Couldn't see what work was going on.
  • Yes, someone just paid approximately $1.2M for this property, and is now investing lots of money in renovations.....people seem to have more money than me, and spend it more freely.
  • Sadly, I have to say I agree about Amorina being not as good now. They never seem to have any slices anymore (maybe loss of Factory created too much demand?). My last 4 attempts (at varying times throughout the evening, sometimes quite early), they have told me they are sold out. And the last of those times, the staff were standing at the counter chatting with their backs turned and I could barely get them to look at me so I could ask them if they had slices left. It's not like I need the staff to kiss up to me or something, but I felt completely unwelcome there. So different from how it was a few years ago!
  • 663 Vanderbilt (formerly the pizza place) is now in the process of becoming this place:

They list the address at the bottom of their website. I perceive them as a boutique toy store.

• Now open.
  • off topic a bit, but in response to the complaints about above amorina, we go there somewhat regularly, and have been since before they changed chefs and have continued since, and have never had anything less than very good there and always had good service. some of the posters are referring specifically to their slice operation, and i have to say, i've never tried that. but their pizza or pasta made to order, with a fresh salad and a glass of red wine, is one of the better and more reasonable dining out experiences in the hood, imo.

(and for the record, i have no connection with the owners, management, etc., just a customer.)