Silly question: Goya black beans at Vanderbilt Met Foods
  • Silly/strange question: has anyone purchased Goya black beans at Met lately? I ask because we've had some issues. We've tossed the last 4 or 5 cans because they have been congealed globs of fat and pasty beans...not exactly what they normally are. It's hard to bring back an open can like that, so I've just been hoping they got a bad batch, but there were a few weeks in between purchases.
  • Very funny! We have the same issue... But my husband has been eating them. We threw away the first few cans but he needs his black beans so he has been eating for at least the last month. He thinks they maybe they changed their formula.
  • roux42 wrote: Very funny! We have the same issue... But my husband has been eating them. We threw away the first few cans but he needs his black beans so he has been eating for at least the last month. He thinks they maybe they changed their formula.

Seriously?? They don't even look remotely edible.
  • super seekrit cuban trick: buy the goya black bean SOUP. add red wine vinegar. better than the grody black beans in gloop. and totally veg for those of you who give a shit about that. (sorta like my old el paso refried bean trick - buy the fat free ones - they taste WAY better without the congealed old lard and you can trick people into thinking they have lard in them ... and they taste like real, mexican refried beans not that b.s from taco bell)

caveat: these brands can change their formulas without alerting me, just in case someone gets tricked into eating/not eating pork.
  • I hear you about the soup, but I'm telling you...it's not even CLOSE to what it used to be. It used to be dark, black beans with a little bit of liquid to drain. The cans of late look like white refried beans.
  • BrookFetish wrote: I hear you about the soup, but I'm telling you...it's not even CLOSE to what it used to be. It used to be dark, black beans with a little bit of liquid to drain. The cats of late look like white refried beans.

um. gross. time to do dried beans with green pepper covered in water over night. sorry man. (toss the water & green pepper, boil in fresh water)
  • Ah, Goya Cuban Black Bean Soup! Heat it, spike it with garlic and Habanero pepper, and set it next to Thai jasmine rice. Simple, tasty, and cheap.

Or go all the way and fry yourself some maduros.

I've noticed some batch variation from time to time. The puréed part can be settled, or not. The top can be old skool or flip top. But never had a bad can.
  • YES! I've had similar unfavorable bean sediment-to-bean ratio in my goya black beans, but I did rinse, cook and eat them without ill effect. I'll try the soup trick, and sometimes I buy the expensive organic kind instead which has less sodium and is a whole can of whole beans, instead of half a can pulverized bean goo.
  • I Looked at Goya black beans that my friend brought me and the weird white pieces look like fucking lard! I don't want to eat fucking lard! Could it be Monosodium Glutamate?
  • @Elena welcome. I suspect Goya black beans don't have lard and don't have MSG. It's been a while but my recollection is the ingredients are pretty simple (maybe beans, water, salt)...
  • Next time take pictures of the beans and the label.  Then send the product back to Goya with a receipt and get your 99 cents back?  
  • seems like a good thread to test image upload ...

0005_region_lh_95
  • Is that bean juice on the lens, or does the universe really have those brown splotches?
  • You don't recognize the Frijole Nebula?
  • Is that the really big Mexican restaurant that just opened in Sunset Park?
  • I think I can see the Milky Horchata Way.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook