What should we do about SouthPark? — Brooklynian

What should we do about SouthPark?

Your fellow Brooklynian EmmaViz is moving to Kensington and was appalled at the state of the Kensington conversation:
Hi! I'm moving from Prospect Heights to Kensington and I've noticed that this Flatbush/Midwood/Ditmas Park/Kensington message board doesn't get nearly as much action as the PH one. I wonder if it has to do with squishing these four neighborhoods together? Or perhaps these nabes just aren't as net friendly.

For those who regularly or casually check the board, what do you use it for, and what would make it more interesting/helpful for you?

I'm not a mod or anything, I just really dig that the PH board brought people together so it felt more like a community, and I am hoping to encourage that vibe as I move to my new hood.
The whole thread in response is here: http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42726

I originally thought we should pair up WT/Kensington, but I changed my mind. Not to influence the results of the poll, but I am starting to think we should put all the "SouthPark" neighborhoods together so we can get the conversation going.

What do you think?

Comments

• Hi ... they are such distinct neighborhoods "SouthPark" that I think putting them together would be like putting Brooklyn Heights/Park Slope/Williamsburg together.

I think part of the reason Ditmas Pk/Flatbush/Kensington/Midwood isn't working as well as it could (the way it is now) is because of that.

I would put WT and Kensington together. Ditmas Pk and Flatbush. Not sure where to put Midwood.

Midwood is its own entity I believe but I don't know how many posters float by from there to here. They may know which neighborhood is best to 'align' with.

Thanks for moving the neighborhoods all together. I think that's great!
  • Don't do it. You might get sued by Trey Parker and Matt Stone.
  • blame it on canada.
  • Personally, I like it the way it is now - but that's because I live in the so-called "Parkville" area at the intersection of Kensington, Midwood and Ditmas Park!

I do agree completely with the recent change of moving ALL boards into one area at the top of the forum.
  • Well, given that rude insensitive behavior by people trying to pick up their dry cleaning in WT after a brutal murder has taken place there are considered to be an example of a good reason to hate Park Slope, perhaps you should just combine WT with PS?

Seriously - As someone who lives in no woman's land on the border of three neighborhood, can't you make up a new board for me? You can call it GreenWood Slope Terrace.
  • all the Kensington Windsor Terrace traffic that I know of is on the KWTNeighbors Yahoo! group

I'd combine WT/Kensington and Flatbush (Ditmas Park, Beverley Square Caton Square Prospect park south are all parts of Flatbush)
  • I just started posting here but have really liked having a separate Windsor Terrace section. This place has some unique... features.
  • "SouthPark"? Are you becoming a realtor, DH? :lol:
  • OK... nobody agreeing about anything... it is the Brooklynian I know and love!

Also, it looks like FL has reached the magic number:

filmlover44
    Funk Soul Sister
  • But why is Gowanus at the top? It has very little views.

(yes, I'm a PS snob and fancied being on the top board! :alien: :mrgreen: )
  • It was awfully hard for me to post again after reaching that magic number. Now I'm going for Posts: 7777
  • What would you rather see:

Few posts from your respective hood.

OR

Few posts from your respective hood and lots of posts for a neighborhood that is not your own.

The choice is obvious, IMHO.
  • Wife and I just moved to Windsor Terrace so we will be sure to up the activity there
  • My condolences. :)

If combining is necessary, I would like to suggest the possibility of combining Windsor Terrace with Park Slope.

Already you can see that many WT topics -- Farrells, Windsor Liquors, etc. are on the PS board.
  • Mamacita wrote: But why is Gowanus at the top? It has very little views.

(yes, I'm a PS snob and fancied being on the top board! :alien: :mrgreen: )
    whatevs. PH belongs at the top.
  • Leave it alone. You jerks are ruining everything.
  • At one time the community was selling T shirts that stated," Windsor Terrace Brooklyn's Best Kept Secret", lets keep it that way.
  • Windsor terrace has distinct sections. There is the area around Prospect Park West which is really more part of Park Slope and there is below 11th and across the expressway which DEFINITELY HANGS with Kensington in community actions and stuff.
    But I think you should group Kensington and Windsor Terrace together and lets NOT make Windsor Terrace any more Park Slope then it already is (no offense).
  • I'm in WT and I feel much more connected (for better or worse) to PS than I do to Kensington
  • As of now, the Kensington/WT mashup is winning with 42% of the popular vote:
    Move Kensington (result: "Windsor Terrace/Kensington" board, and "Ditmas Park/Midwood/Flatbush" board). WT/K hang together better.
    And the mods get superdelegate votes.

JOKE
  • it is not a very good program in extremely bad taste...just don't watch it if you don't like it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Hamilton wrote: At one time the community was selling T shirts that stated," Windsor Terrace Brooklyn's Best Kept Secret", lets keep it that way.
    Good point, Hamilton.
  • WTGirl wrote: lets NOT make Windsor Terrace any more Park Slope then it already is (no offense).
    Too late :twisted:

Why don't we do a poll on regulars here that are in WT. If there is a large group, then give them there own board. :scratch:
  • Mamacita wrote: Why don't we do a poll on regulars here that are in WT. If there is a large group, then give them there own board. :scratch:
    I think the prevailing philosophy on Brooklynian right now is not create new boards unless needed. Putting K/WT together is a tweak that might make better sense than what we have now, and it doesn't increase the number of boards.

We can still talk about WT stuff on the PS board. There's no rule against that!
  • OK, K/WT has surged ahead to 46%. We'll mash it up that way. Any death threats, PM me.
  • blech. Leave it alone.
This discussion has been closed.