Parkside Q... is it better... — Brooklynian

Parkside Q... is it better...

Is it better to live right by the train (like, across the street) or further into to flatbush or further up or down Ocean?

I've been warned away from Church but was told Parkside was a little less struggling, though also was told Prospect Park was even more gentrified than Parkside.

Ideally we'd be close to the city, not hear gunshots when going to bed, get mugged, witness murders, etc. and have a 2+ bedroom for 1600 or less without roaches, mice, or bedbugs. This is apparently a huge challenge in Brooklyn. It is very depressing.

I LOVE the Cortelyou area, I wonder if folks can recommend good blocks in that area that are more affordable, perhaps on Ocean?

Comments

• Why are people making this area seem like people can't walk out their houses and be safe? I've lived over here for about 5 months now and the area is very decent. In the neigborhoods it alot of people from the caribbean and they are not ghetto and hostile. Everywhere have bad things about the area but its really not as serious as people are making it out to be.
  • I would stay away from Ocean Ave. If you walk by or drive by there are always shady people hanging out in front of buildings from Cortelyou area all the way through to Prospect Park.

A friend of mine lived on Ocean and Avenue K which was better.
  • Subject: Re: Parkside Q... is it better...

I live at 415 Stratford, between Cortelyou and Dorchester. The buiding is very well kept; 1 bdrm's go for @ 1300.00 and 2 bdrms (rarely available go for about 1600.00.
    brooklynleather wrote: Is it better to live right by the train (like, across the street) or further into to flatbush or further up or down Ocean?

I've been warned away from Church but was told Parkside was a little less struggling, though also was told Prospect Park was even more gentrified than Parkside.

Ideally we'd be close to the city, not hear gunshots when going to bed, get mugged, witness murders, etc. and have a 2+ bedroom for 1600 or less without roaches, mice, or bedbugs. This is apparently a huge challenge in Brooklyn. It is very depressing.

I LOVE the Cortelyou area, I wonder if folks can recommend good blocks in that area that are more affordable, perhaps on Ocean?
  • Subject: Feline Lover

Hi Darla,
    not related to post, but...there is the sweetest stray tortie hanging out around my building the past 10 days. She's about 3 months and very affectionate....not your usual feral...do you know any A1 animal folks interersted in rescuing her?
    Donna
    darla wrote: I would stay away from Ocean Ave. If you walk by or drive by there are always shady people hanging out in front of buildings from Cortelyou area all the way through to Prospect Park.

A friend of mine lived on Ocean and Avenue K which was better.
  • Considering the NYPD raped a guy at PROSPECT PARK
    TRAIN STATION maybe its not as gentrifide as one may think.
    So maybe Church Avenue station is gettin a Bad wrap???? MAYBE!!!!

I grew up in this area and its actually always been gentrifide.
    Lemme rephrase, white poeple have lived here but they grew up here.
    The gentrification comes from those of u who DID NOT!!!!
  • "Gentrifide"?

Bad "wrap"? What's wrong, was the chicken not cooked enough?

One positive thing about your post: if any parents thinking of moving to this area had any questions about the quality of the schools, they've been set straight.
  • The Church Ave stop is decent. I am in that part of the neighborhood often to visit friends and I've never run into an issue. The neighborhood is very family oriented and one of the best deals left near the park.
This discussion has been closed.