Gen Restaurant
  • Do a lot of people frequent Gen? I don't see all that much talk about it here and I was wondering what the consensus was on Gen. Personally I find it to be pretty damn good as far as Japanese goes. The Toro is great, they have a good selection of Sake and from my limited experience most if not all the ingrediants are pretty fresh. Maybe it is just that most people stay closer to Vanderbilt that there is not much speak of it on the boards. I would love to hear what other people have to say.
  • I think there has been a good bit of commentary on local Japanese restaurants in general and Gen in particular over the past year ... although I haven't seen much in the past few months.

But I think Gen is great. Only been there a couple of times ... but every time I've gone the food has been exemplary.
  • I too am a huge fan of Gen! It may not be as inexpensive as Geido but the atmosphere is much nicer. Also, the food is consistently good - very fresh and tasty.
  • I always see people in there when its open.
  • Hw does Gen compare to Geido on Flatbush (b/w park & prospect)???

I am a RABID Geido fan, but I could also go for a change of pace every now and again.
  • Ummm..... Have not b'in payin attenshun...

Where is Gen?
  • roux42 wrote: Ummm..... Have not b'in payin attenshun...

Where is Gen?
    659 Washington Ave
    Cross Street: St Mark's Ave
  • Hw does Gen compare to Geido on Flatbush (b/w park & prospect)???

I am a RABID Geido fan, but I could also go for a change of pace every now and again.

Ditto!

Gen's food isn't nearly as good. But the atmosphere is nice and rumor has it they do a $1 Budweiser happy-hour.
  • True. I hear geido is great as long as you like eating raw dicks.
  • I think that both are good, but I prefer Gen because of the atmosphere. It's not as jammed as Geido can get. Plus, I like to support a Washington Avenue business.
  • I've never been there but order from them regularly. I generally order sushi and/or appetizers but understand that their non-sushi entrees aren't so hot (well, that's what my mom says). I like their sushi, and it comes in like 25 seconds, which is an awesome perk.
  • I love Gen. Delivery is sometimes a bit iffy if they are busy on a particular night, but the folks there are really cool. I've done pick-ups there before, and sitting at the bar having a beer they've given me a free tasting plate. Super nice, eh?

I also seem to see a lot of Japenese tourists there, so the word must be out on the quality and vibe.
  • when my place is finish hehe i'll be like almost next door to these guys.
  • BEST sushi delivery FOR SURE is Kiku on 5th Avenue (I know, its not in the PH). Try the Kiku roll (Chilean Sea Bass with crunchy onion bits on top). DELISH!
  • alafairnadia wrote: I've never been there but order from them regularly. I generally order sushi and/or appetizers but understand that their non-sushi entrees aren't so hot (well, that's what my mom says). I like their sushi, and it comes in like 25 seconds, which is an awesome perk.

My roommate assures me the entrees are top notch. He worked as a sushi/Japanese chef and lived in Kyoto for a bit.

One of the chefs is in some crazy experimental orchestra that has shows in Williamsburg. Also gallery stuff too. A very eclectic group indeed.
  • magnus martyr wrote: [quote=alafairnadia]I've never been there but order from them regularly. I generally order sushi and/or appetizers but understand that their non-sushi entrees aren't so hot (well, that's what my mom says). I like their sushi, and it comes in like 25 seconds, which is an awesome perk.

My roommate assures me the entrees are top notch. He worked as a sushi/Japanese chef and lived in Kyoto for a bit.

One of the chefs is in some crazy experimental orchestra that has shows in Williamsburg. Also gallery stuff too. A very eclectic group indeed.

good to know. I must go try the place out in person some time.
  • Subject: Gen

I lived in Japan for 4 years and Gen reminds me of the food I had there. Very authentic and I like it better than Geido. Geido does have a great selection and some dishes I haven't found outside of Japan, but I think Gen tastes better. The atmosphere is more mellow and I am often the only non-Japanese person when I go (always a good sign). I usually have a nice relaxing lunch there when I can get a babysitter.
  • True. I hear geido is great as long as you like eating raw dicks.

I hear that its also quite good at Gen. Particularly when combined with a quail egg.
  • 11238 wrote: BEST sushi delivery FOR SURE is Kiku on 5th Avenue (I know, its not in the PH). Try the Kiku roll (Chilean Sea Bass with crunchy onion bits on top). DELISH!

Kiku is sweet.
  • seems like a nice place to go on a date... :wink:
  • Gen is wack. Menu is limited and service is ridiculously slow. If I have to hear "Rastafari!" directed at Japanese cat with locks by another Japanese cat again I'm gonna lose it. Food is decent, but nothing special, but the environment is nice. Geido is bootleg too, except for that fairly thick waitress with the "Yumi" nameplate necklace who worked there. Kiku is dope, but Sushi Tatsu knocks them all out of the box. Best menu, quickest service and teleport-quick delivery. Atmosphere of the restaurant is standard, at best, but the food is very good, priced on the low end. All of you who walk past the spot with your noses turned up can keep throwing your hoity-toity dough away at Geido. Anyone for white tuna rolls?
  • I echo the sentiment re: Tatsu. I went and did omakase (letting the chef drive) with the sushi chef and was very pleased. Simple dishes, fresh nothing fancy.

Geido is one of those places where you could starve to death while waiting for service.

I've had some great meals at Gen and have never been disappointed.

It’s nice to know that we at least have (good) choices in the neighborhood.
  • Gen = yum! :D
  • Geido is fantastic if you're a regular, know the menu and the staff.

Gen was interesting but uneven the last time I ate there. But I'd giv eit another shot.

Sushi Tatsu is definitely underrated. It's my weekday lunch sushi fix.

Kiku and Yamato are both good for rolls, but avoid their pieces..
  • sterling2000 wrote: I also seem to see a lot of Japenese tourists there, so the word must be out on the quality and vibe.

tourists on washington ave? i don't think so. not every foreigner is a tourist. there is a very large (50-100,000 or more) japanese expat community in new york, and many are our neighbors.
  • Refresh my memory.....which one is Tatsu? where?

The negative Geido comments on here (hogwash!) are making me automatically dismiss your opinions, but i'm still curious about Tatsu.
  • Tony Balls wrote: Refresh my memory.....which one is Tatsu? where?

The negative Geido comments on here (hogwash!) are making me automatically dismiss your opinions, but i'm still curious about Tatsu.

Tatsu is Chinese sushi on Flatbush, next to Mooney's.
  • so, basically, you guys are pulling my leg with the Tatsu thing, right?

Cheaper: yeah
    Better: baaaaaaaahahahahaha
  • I was dubious about Tatsu too (it looks slapdash). But I had a lunch special that was delish and it looks like they have lots of interesting rolls. I think I'm going to be making a more detailed investigation over the coming weeks.
  • Its okay, don't get me wrong, but it is just substandard compared to Geido or (from what i've heard) Gen. Rolls are rolls, but comparing chirashi (essentially a big-ass bowl of raw fish) at both Tatsu and Geido, its a no-contest battle.
  • Just because Geido has some fake-ass graffiti-style crap on the walls doesn't mean it's good. Geido is just as bootleg as Tomoe Sushi on Thompson St. Been all hype since the days both of those spots opened. Tatsu is better than Geido and the menu has a far better selection. Plus, you can't beat free sake with dinner. I don't see what all the craze is over Toro either. I've been there a few times and it's not even as good as Geido. And don't even get me started on that Blue Ribbon Brooklyn rip-off sushi crap. Honestly, the only thing Geido has over Tatsu is that it's a better place to take a date because of the space. The same people who turn their noses up at Tatsu probably don't drink tapwater either.
  • Man, i'm talking bout the food, not the perks, walls (wtf?), or size of their menu.

Tatsu's sashimi is fast-food sushi compared to Geido, hands down.
  • liftandcut wrote: Been all hype since the days both of those spots opened.

also......this pretty damn hilarious. Geido has certainly been all hype for 20 years. baaaaaahahahahaha

• The one time I went to Tatsu, the sashimi was not very fresh. It's not that much cheaper than Geido, so I don't plan on going back.
  • Loyal Geido fan, so I had to speak up. I can't say i've tried the competition, but that's because Geido always makes me so very, very happy. I always get the seaweed salad and a tuna/avocado battera. Its always fantastic. I'm also a fan of the dragon roll, and pieces are always good, sometimes excellent. The sharon (spelling?, but pronounced like the Israeli PM currently in a coma), not on the menu, is shaved cucumber wrapped arouns salmon and its also really good. It can be a bit of a zoo on weekends, but if you go earlier, around 6 or 6:30, its lovely. The staff's really friendly and will remember your order if you go often enough (which I do).
  • Finally tried the competition (Gen) last night. Here's my official trans-neighborhood rating:

1. Geido
    2. Kiku
    3. Gen
    906. Tatsu
  • Tony Balls wrote: Finally tried the competition (Gen) last night. Here's my official trans-neighborhood rating:

1. Geido
    2. Kiku
    3. Gen
    906. Tatsu

You've got to try Taro.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=Tony Balls]Finally tried the competition (Gen) last night. Here's my official trans-neighborhood rating:

1. Geido
    2. Kiku
    3. Gen
    906. Tatsu

You've got to try Taro.

I have. It's maybe #4 in the neighborhood, but could easily be a 5 or 6.
  • Tony Balls wrote: I have. It's maybe #4 in the neighborhood, but could easily be a 5 or 6.

No way! Taro is a bit more expensive, but it's best in the enighborhood, hands down! In many ways, I prefer it to Blue Ribbon.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=Tony Balls]I have. It's maybe #4 in the neighborhood, but could easily be a 5 or 6.

No way! Taro is a bit more expensive, but it's best in the enighborhood, hands down! In many ways, I prefer it to Blue Ribbon.

hilarious. I've only tried it once, but their a la carte tuna sushi was rather gamey. I had their udon, which was great, but honestly if you can't trust them to make decent raw fish, what's the point of a sushi restaraunt?
  • Tony Balls wrote: hilarious. I've only tried it once, but their a la carte tuna sushi was rather gamey. I had their udon, which was great, but honestly if you can't trust them to make decent raw fish, what's the point of a sushi restaraunt?

Vote in the new poll and make your voice heard.
  • Subject: service not great

I like Gen... I think the food is pretty great, but the last time I was there, none of the main courses came at once and the appetizers came to the table last. Then the time before that, the chefs and the waiter were having an all out yelling fight in the restaurant. I looked around at everybody - we were all mortified - and saw that one table had no spoons to eat their ice cream and it was melting and nobody stopped to take my to-go order. I haven't been there since.

My favorite sushi is Kotobuki on Columbia Street in Carrol Gardens, but it is quite a hike to get there.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook