Parking - Brooklynian

Parking

I know this was a topic recently, but I couldn't find it w/search.

I am finally caving and getting a car again, after 7 years w/out one.

This will probably be aorund the first of the year.

1. Whats parking like on the street? How about on Eastern Parkway?

2. Anyplace to rent spots in the immeidate area and how much?

Comments

• Good luck, if you don't rent a spot I hope you don't have a day job. You'll need the time to be able to move your car and not get a ticket.
  • ooooh kaaay...

So how about rentals what are they running and where can I find em?
  • There is a parking garage on Underhill between Prospect and St. Marks--try them.
    We lost two local garages to new developments.
    We used to live on Eastern Parkway and parking was tough but do-able.... consider trying to park for the week across flatbush--they only have to move the car 1-2 a week!
  • It used to be relatively easy to get a spot in PH. Now it's just like the Slope.
  • Save the planet, walk or get an experimental Hydrogen cell car!!
  • Don't buy a car. All of the money that you spend on gas, insurance, repairs and tickets, not to mention the headaches of break-ins, could otherwise be used for beer and strippers.
  • Jack Krohn wrote: Don't buy a car. All of the money that you spend on gas, insurance, repairs and tickets, not to mention the headaches of break-ins, could otherwise be used for beer and strippers.
    wisdom.
  • Thanks but after 7 years without one I've had it.

Luckily the financial aspect isn't an issue.

I spend at least that much on car service anyway.
  • Try St. Mark's Park on st marks bet underhill and washington. Been parking there for a few years. About the same price as the indoor garage last I checked, but quicker to get your car in and out.
  • there's a place on st. john's between franklin and classon. i know it's technically "crown heights" but i haven't had trouble with them using them for a week or so at a time when my fiance used to visit before moving to the area.
  • Lo Kee, I've been craving a car on and off for the 9 years I've been in NY so I think I understand where you're coming from. But do you really need one?

Have you tried Zip Car? I'm always able to find a car in a nearby lot when I need one. I can try out different makes and models whenever I want and I don't have to wory about finding a parking space or handling repairs.

Whenever I really think I want to buy a car, something always saves me. Seeing a car that's been broken into, witnessing an altercation between two drivers, walking past a huge traffic snarl, or just having a lovely sunday drive in a zipcar that I leave at its parking space at the end of the day.
  • The garage mentioned earlier in Crown Heights, on St. Johns, isn't bad.

Also, there is a lot that charges, I thnk, $150/month to park. Its on Lincoln, right behind the liquor store on the corner of Washington. I can't tell you more than that, as I don't know who owns it or who to contact to see if there is room available, making this a completely useless post! I have an old friend that has utilized this lot for years and has never had a complaint about it.

I have a car, but live further into Crown Heights, where street parking is a bit easier.
  • xlizellx wrote: there's a place on st. john's between franklin and classon. i know it's technically "crown heights" but i haven't had trouble with them using them for a week or so at a time when my fiance used to visit before moving to the area.
    That place has $223/mo posted, FWIW.

I was thinking about this over the weekend. I don't know why. It popped inot my head. I guess.

Anyhow.

So I sort of agree with what has been said about spending a bunch of time flipping sides to avoid tickets. It sucks. And is annoying. When I finally had to get a car, I actually needed to use it two days a week. I would use it those two days, and then flip sides and use mass transit the other days. And I would seriously spend 30-45min or MORE a day on my mass transit days finding a spot somewhere I could legally leave it. It was really lame and was totally sucking my will to live. I couldn't afford a garage. What ended up happening was that I said fuckit and started driving everyday, even the days I didn't _need_ to. Which is lame and adds to traffic. And I hate it. But it saves me so much time and aggravation that I'm doing it. And I can park anywhere now, because I won't have to flip it the next morning since I will be driving it. Also, I can leave for work an hour later. *shrug*

My point being, if you are getting a car and driving it every day, some of the parking hassle (at least alt side) goes away to large degree.

Which is bogus and lame.

And yet it just _is_.
  • we were just talking about getting rid of our car because its just such a hassle to move it so often. and we really only use it on weekends and lately not even all that much..

i think unless you are actually going to be using it every day, its more of a hassle than it is worth. also, some of those same garages listed above are also pickup spots for zip cars. with the winter coming, im sure its just going to get more aggravating to find parking..
  • $150 - $223 per month just to park a car? That money could buy some memorable lap dances!
  • Jack Krohn wrote: $150 - $223 per month just to park a car? That money could buy some memorable lap dances!
    I haven't found the $150 places. I know a lot of places pushing towards PS are more like $300-350. FWIW.

With that kind of money, you can get a _totally_ memorable lap dance.
  • Now you are objectifying george bush. When will this end!

...all he needs is a hula skirt, and he'll be at the Antic!

Back to parking, Flatbush Ave along the park always has spots, but your car will be broken into regularly.

Back to getting a car, when I sold my last car (a '92 Corolla, 187k) for $450 it was a good day.
  • I saw a listing the other day for a $75,000 parking space in a 24-hour garage in Park Slope. That's more than my brother paid for his entire house back home...
  • I really dont find it that hard to park and move the car. Although that's after living in Manhattan for 9 years and dealing with alternate side there. This is a breeze comparatively. Best time to go is about 11pm and partner the car moving with a beer in the neighborhood. Its really not that bad. I never drive around for more than 15 minutes (on a bad day) to find a spot.
  • If you know someone in the Jewish Hospital complex you can park at 475 St Marks for $100/mo

Not bad

Other than that... play the alternate side game & get a bike, so you're not moving your car to get groceries and stuff

I find it's easy to get a spot between 4-7
  • I've never owned a car and consider myself to be carfree rather than carless. But at one point I did the math on owning a car and discovered that one can rent a car every third weekend and for four entire weeks a year before you break even on the purchase price, tickets, insurance and repairs and that was without garaging the car.

And Daver's post is a great cautionary tale - only needing the car two days a week, but ending up using it every day.

The rental place at the Mariott in Downtown Brooklyn allows you to return the car anytime, which is a huge benefit over the not-on-Sundays rule a lot of closer rental agencies have.
  • Maybe if I add more details about my situaiton it would help, although many posts have been helpful and I thank you all.

Further, I have refined my outlook and expectations based upon your many helpful posts.

1. I would be taking mass transit everyday to the office in the city.

2. Consequently, I wouldn't ever need the car during the week and don't want to deal with the alternate side thing.

3. I am getting the vehcile only for personal reasons, for use after regular work hours or weekends (please withhold the editoral comments, it won't sway my decision. Although I apprediate you viewpoints, thats not the purpose for this post).

4. I am not opposed to paying for parking. In fact I suspected I would have to, but like any market participant am looking for the lowest cost option).

This place on St. Johns between frankling and classon sounds good -- any more info on that?

Thanks again!
  • Lo Kee wrote: This place on St. Johns between frankling and classon sounds good -- any more info on that?
    What info are you looking for specifically? Walk past or something. I've heard good things about it, the posted rate is $223 per month.
This discussion has been closed.