Eastern Parkway median
  • A few years ago, Congressman Owens gave the neighborhood an earmark (aka "some pork barrel spending") to re-do the median that runs along the Eastern Parkway service road between Washington and GAP.

...basically, as a retirement gift to himself, he decided to have Congress pay for a much needed renovation of his front lawn.

Ok, its my lawn too.

Anyway, it was supposed to start this spring/summer. Anyone know if it is still going to happen?
  • And put a proper walk/don't walk signal on the corner of Washington and Eastern Parkway, that'll be the day!
  • It would be really nice if they could take care of the memorial plaques for WWI soldiers at the base of most of the trees. Some of them have been buried by dirt and have grass growing over them. They'll probably need a metal detector to find them. It's a shame that no one seems to care about these fallen soldiers. When my older dog was up for it I would walk the dogs over and scrape the dirt off some of the plaques with a stick.
  • Subject: Re: Eastern Parkway median

whynot_31 wrote: Anyway, it was supposed to start this spring/summer. Anyone know if it is still going to happen?

I'm all for pork if it helps my life too! I hope that it does start this year, but it's been my experience that these projects seldom start on time. Inevitably the Congressman forgot that the MTA needed to be involved, or some such nonsense and that's going to tie up the project for five years.

Seriously, though, that median needs work.
  • caseopele wrote: It would be really nice if they could take care of the memorial plaques for WWI soldiers at the base of most of the trees. Some of them have been buried by dirt and have grass growing over them. They'll probably need a metal detector to find them. It's a shame that no one seems to care about these fallen soldiers. When my older dog was up for it I would walk the dogs over and scrape the dirt off some of the plaques with a stick.

Well, I for one have learned something today. I didn't know these existed and will keep an eye out for them now.
  • sir_eccles wrote: Well, I for one have learned something today. I didn't know these existed and will keep an eye out for them now.

I haven't been able to find much info about them online. All I really know is that the plaques were placed sometime before WW2 (since WWI is called the Great War on the plaques). And that there was supposed to be some restoration done on them years ago.
  • http://art.alfred.edu/docs/Shales_HistreeForgottenProject2004.pdf

i recall seeing something about this project at the BMA back in 2004.

i also seem to recall some of the plaques going missing in recent years...
  • sir_eccles wrote: And put a proper walk/don't walk signal on the corner of Washington and Eastern Parkway, that'll be the day!

Oh I want that so bad! I even posted here on these boards about that a while back.
  • probably in 2006, I heard of the "pork award", complete with announcement to the neighborhood association.

...anyone know if the Eastern Parkway Association (or named something like that) still exists?

Those people who post on occasion that want volunteers to "help clean up the GAP berms" might also know.

Are "you" part of any of "them"?

(yes, I would be among those people who just want the associations to improve my 'hood, without actually joining or supporting them. I'm in the majority).
  • sweet tea wrote: this is great.

i do what i can 8)
  • aha ...I have learned that this project has been delayed (and slightly changed) from my neighbor who is into such things.

Not only that, she is upset. ...and will soon begin posting flyers stating there will be a meeting in Turner Towers to discuss it on April 6th.
  • Just saw this as part of how Fed stimulus spending is being allocated....looks like a looooong wait.

Reconstruction of Eastern Parkway (Prospect Heights)

Description: Reconstruction of the roadway from Washington Avenue to Grand Army Plaza to improve the street, which is currently in deteriorated condition, and improve safety for pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicular traffic. The reconstruction will reduce the frequency of future resurfacing and repair work, which can cause lane closures. The project will improve access to several cultural, recreational and educational institutions, including the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, the Brooklyn Public Library, and Prospect Park.
    Total Project Cost: $12 million
    Displaced Funding Received: $6 million
    Other Funding: $6 million City Capital Funds
    Construction Bid: Fall 2009
    Estimated Completion: Spring 2012
  • I don't want to get everyone's hopes up, but I think I saw people with a theodolite surveying the Eastern Parkway/Washington intersection. They appeared to be from Haks (an engineering company) and across the road from them was one of those power plants for road drills.
  • this is likely unrelated to the median project. The median project is supposed to begin until Spring 2010.
  • The guys in ConEd trucks have been working all along the block between Underhill and Washington for the past few weeks from about midnight to 4 am. They told me this morning at around 3 that they are removing electrical wiring from underneath the street for the coming rennovations. I'd imagine it's connected to the whole overhaul of the median
  • Work on the long-aborning median project should indeed start this fall.

First phase is a water and sewer main replacement.

Second phase is a regrading of the roadway.

The median itself is not until the third phase, and cannot begin until the first two phases are completed. Estimated time for the whole project is 18 months.

This is, of course, provided that the idiots in Albany don't screw up the stimulus money distribution...
  • Update, Jan 2012:

They started the first phase (water and sewer replacement) in June 2011, and it is now nearing completion.

Lots of fun with excavators.

• The median work will definitely improve the safety of the street! It has taken forever to get this project completed.

• Once it's done, it will be beautiful. Does anyone know if the subway entrance will be widened?

• Sorry God.

Not even you are powerful enough to get the subway entrance widened.

Update, March 2012:

The have almost completed the sidewalk in front of the buildings, and will soon begin preparations to lower the median service road by something like 16".

As of tomorrow, the service road will be a giant no parking zone, to allow for fun with heavy equipment. Here's the DOT warning:

COMMUNITY ADVISORY NOTICE

WASHINGTON AVENUE TO GRAND ARMY PLAZA

Eastern Parkway Main Roadway from

Washington Avenue to Grand Army Plaza

Beginning on Thursday, March 22, 2012 (6:00AM)

For two (2) months -- 24 hours a day

Beginning on Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 6:00am and lasting for approximately two (2) months – 24 hours a day, the NYC Dept. of Design and Construction will commence the installation of the road base & pavement on Eastern Parkway Main Roadway from Washington Avenue to Grand Army Plaza. NOTE: Variable Message Signs (VMS) will be posted.

• Thank you for the info whynot_31. I was hoping they would do something to the subway exit. At lest give a second exits down the line. Oh well. maybe in the future.

P.S - My powers are over exaggerated by humans. ;)

• Construction on the all of the ultilites under the street is complete, and they are now finally working on the most visible, least complex part of the project: The median.

Then, they are supposed to give the parkway and the service road another coat of asphalt.

This is all supposed to be completed before the big Labor Day festival.

....I hope it happens.

• P.S. walk signals are coming! Look closely at photo:

• It'll probably get done. I work down near Battery Park, and the road realignment/resurfacing associated with the new South Ferry station was going on forever and ever. Then, suddenly, the underground stuff was done and new curbs and paving were finished in, like, two weeks. Like the EP project, it seemed like Battery Park would never get finished, then suddenly, it was.

Bet those who live along the Parkway will be happy to see the work done.

• As a poster above hints, the last time they did they redid the median in a big way was between WWI and WWII, so I predict the folks who live along that stretch of EP will be construction free for years to come.

• Construction unearthed a section of old wooden pipe, used for delivering water.

This pipe likely served a building that predates that current buildings along this stretch of EP.

The present buildings were built between 1920 and 1940 (approximately), so this pipe might have been in service from -say- 1850s to 1940. (a guess)

• It looks as if they will get it done before big parade!

• I can report that there were workers on site from 7 AM to 7 PM yesterday.

...they are in the "asphalt tile" stage.

• Looks great so far.

• Spoke to one of the construction workers this morning...asked him what the plan is for what will eventually be grass areas - but currently just soil - during the parade on Monday. He rolled his eyes and said "yep, they'll just walk on the dirt".

Better hope it doesn't rain.

Can't wait to see the light standards finished, turf installed - and most importantly, I imagine there's meant to be a bunch of new trees, right?

Guessing they won't plant trees til Spring? That's the city's policy with street trees in sidewalk boxes, anyway.

• Grass, a cobble stone edge, Trees, benches, tops for the light poles, trash cans, another coat of Asphalt for the main road, some images of bikes to signify bike lane, are all fun things that didn't get done for the parade ....but it is now safe for the masses that will soon arrive for the parade.

• I imagine that they didn't want to get too far with planting until after the parade. Anything done before would just get destroyed with all the parade revelers.

But, was impressed with the progress I saw on Saturday morning. It's a huge improvement.

Now, let's hope the parade goers show some respect.

• Now, let's hope the parade goers show some respect.

Bwahahahahaha!

• When I was by there today I thought it looked lovely! Very open and spacious. Can't wait for all the finishing touches.

• Anone have a clue as to when the trees will be planted? Getting late in the year....

• I suspect the grass and trees will be planted in the Spring.

whynot_31 said:

Grass, a cobble stone edge, Trees, benches, tops for the light poles, trash cans, another coat of Asphalt for the main road, some images of bikes to signify bike lane, are all fun things that didn't get done for the parade ....but it is now safe for the masses that will soon arrive for the parade.

• For those into the play-by-play, the workers are presently creating the cobble stone edge.

• I was told that trees et al will be planted this fall.

• Hope they move those stop signs from half mast (like at the corner of Underhill and EP) and on the left hand side of the local road, to the right hand side of the local road and at normal height. I've been about mowed down the last 2 times I tried to cross the local road by motorists who either intentionally or accidentally failed to stop, and guess what happens next. You walk up onto the meridian and get mowed down by a bike who just swerved to avoid the yellow posts around a grating on the path.

This is a tragic non improvement and an accident waiting to happen. Be careful out there. But do enjoy the view from the EP promenade.

• Totally agree, Ian. I got into a heated altercation with a certain individual who blew straight through that stop sign on Saturday morning and almost killed me. I gave his car good wollop with my fist and he took exception to that. When I explained to him that he nearly killed me by blowing through the stop sign, he informed me that it was "none of my business". So, there you have it.

I actually would like a speed bump on the service road as part of the overall Slow Zone business.

• Once they restore the parking along the median, The traffic will have to slow whenever a car stops to discharge or receive people. They will have to slowly maneuver around said vehicles, and will no longer be able to fly by.

• An update on the current delays finishing the median project (source = a couple of the workers): Issue is that 2 unions seem to be butting heads - particularly as it relates to the bench installations and the lights. Not exactly sure what the source of the friction is but it's holding things up. Meanwhile, it appears they'll be putting a second median to separate traffic on the main road assuming it makes it's way up from the GAP. Didn't expect that.

• They are building little pedestrian safety islands, so we can play frogger with less chance of death.

.....crossing with the light will still be optimal.

• Needs 2 speed bumps! Cars are rocketing down the stretch at high speeds.

• Frogger rules!

• For the last two nights (11 PM - 5 AM) they have been putting the final coat of asphalt on Eastern Parkway, and doing some jack hammering.

Lots of noise. Lots of neighbors stating that they think the work should be done during the day, because they don't realize that DOT is trying to inconvenience the least amount of people by doing over night.

They have one side of EP finished. They will need a few more nights to finish the asphalt job.

• Ha, yea - everyone in my house is wearing earplugs to sleep.. this morning I totally missed my alarm. Not complaining though - psyched for all the new spiffyness!

• Slowest. Construction. Project. Ever.

• Today, they are painting crosswalk and traffic lines on EP's main road.

• Spoke with the community liaison last week. All is slated to be done by thx giving (tho Sandy may knock them off that sked). Major exception is the trees. That will ostensibly happen in the spring.

• Today, they continued to make the cobble stone edge path.

• It's a lot of freaking work. Tedious, too.

• here come the benches....

• Yup. The benches are all stacked by the Meier Building, awaiting installation.

The guys are now creating a clean edge on the northern edge of the path with the rectangular bricks.

• benches mounted on finished asphalt tile.

• whynot_31 said:

benches mounted on finished asphalt tile.

Don't you mean "Bum Beds"? :P

• It is odd how they choose to have some benches with the arms that prevent lodging, and others without.

That said, the project has now gotten some press from those who like to design things:

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6391

• we should have gotten these

• At the present time, our benches appear sufficient.

Time will tell if they were the right choice.

http://www.academia.edu/313641/The_Sociology_of_Urban_Public_Spaces

• Since I last posted, they have finished putting tiles on the pedestian islands with the bell shaped bollards.

Today, they are putting the bumpy ADA tiles in the crosswalks.

...installing the globes on the new street lights seems next. After that, I look forward to a visit from a politician who holds a press conference and takes credit for it.

I so want it to be Mayor Quimby.

• as of last week

Attached files image
  • as of last week

Attached files image
  • Ladd-

Thanks for the photo. I don't know why Flicker and Brooklynian aren't getting along today, but here is the link for readers:

mobile

http://m.flickr.com/photos/ladd_halsey/8371209552/lightbox/

desktop or laptop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladd_halsey/8371209552/lightbox/

I suspect that brooklynian needs a code that ends in .jpg or .gif to directly link it.

• I so want it to be Mayor Quimby.[/quoted]

50 seconds in

• I would be ok with Al Gore claiming credit for this as well.

"due to my leadership, this project was finished in a mere "x" years after it began, and a mere "y" years after funds were allotted, for a mere total of x+y years"

Note: Round numbers used above

• I was strolling the parkway the other night and saw some fellows jacking one of the new benches near Underhill. It looks like they only got half way but a bench a few down from there had been unbolted as well.

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladd_halsey/8408002337

Ladd-

I think I have figured out why Brooklynian isn't embedding your photos:

You have Flickr set to copyright protected, which doesn't allow it to give the .jpg extension.

Also, you are using [url], not [img] as the intro code.

Returning the theft attempts, yes the installers whacked some of the bolts with a sledge hammer to prevent the nuts from being removed, but not all of them. If the thief was smarter, he would have seen this before attempting theft, and known to bring a battery powered grinder or similar tool.

• ugh! Thanks whynot! Next time! I was wondering about how they were secured.

• I have a hacksaw, but I will not let anyone borrow it for such purposes.

• Slow progress continues!

Today (Feb 20, 2013) they are putting in the globes on the lights that line the path.

The remaining tasks are:

Tree pits and trees

Grass

Appearance by a politician.

• Damn, I forgot a few tasks!

This week they apparently are digging out the orange dirt they hastily put in place before the West Indian Day Parade, and replacing it with brown dirt.

Also, they are installing really sturdy perking regulation signs.

They appear to be starting in the West and working their way East. One can presently see the exciting action in front of Union Temple.

• They have a very small crew.

Based on the pace this is presently occuring, I'd be surprised if they had the new grass and trees in place by May.

• Tree prep:

• They have now put correct kind of dirt in all of the places the trees will go.

• Why am I so excited about this? It looks like it could be a regular champs elysees.

• Yes, they have now put dirt in the future tree pits along the buildings.

I suspect they are going to use carpet sod for planting the grass.

This strip is already getting more use than the prior wavy version.

• This morning, they were using a machine like this to create holes for the trees.

Someone submitted this photo to The PH Patch, and -indeed- today is the day for trees:

• When are the "bums" going to be installed on the benches?

• They finished installing the trees today, May 2nd.

I assume they install the grass next.

...time will tell if the benches are nice enough to attract the homeless.

• Despite my predictions, grass was not next.

This week they re-installed some WWI plaques at the base of the trees.

Today, they are installing signs about parking.

• Today, May 13, 2013, grass seed was applied.

It is that roadside seed they use alongside highways. You sometimes see it sprayed from trucks, or by hand:

• JoshB said:

Slowest. Construction. Project. Ever.

Today, June 5, 2013, they are putting up some more of the signs that state the parking regulations.

Surely we are getting near the date when some politician arrives and states how well run this project was, and how it's completion is due to their fine leadership and dedication....

• Not even close to being the slowest. Years back there was a major rebuilding of the East River Drive. Two years AFTER it was supposed to be done they were still working on it. So, the city finally sent someone down to find out what the problem was. It came to light that no one had the blueprints for the job so no one knew how it was supposed to end up. Took about another year to get that mess straightened out.

• Today, the trees that didn't live thru the precarious first year were replaced.