fenced in dog run: Mt Prospect Park
  • I was wondering if anyone had tried to put in a fenced in dog run/park in Mount Prospect Park off Eastern Parkway? I've been longing for a place where my dog (and others) can run around without me worrying about him getting away and running onto Eastern Parkway. I know all about the off-leash hours at Prospect Park but my friend's dog recently got run-over inside the park! So, that's not an option for me anymore. I'm thinking of talking to Tisch James about it, but was wondering if:

a) other people are interested? Please respond if you are!
    b) if anyone has already been through this and has any thoughts

Thanks!
  • Count me in. Mt. Prospect would be a perfect place for a proper dog run.
  • It is perfect. Big oval inside track that few use, could easily be fenced off. Woof.
  • Great idea. Currently, I'm hiking down to the Park Slope dog run (4th av. & 5th st.). Mt. Prospect Park would be ideal!
  • would love this, pm if I can help
  • Subject: dog prospect park dog run

Hey there!

I am actually trying to get a dog run created in Mount Prospect Park since January, so I created a petition online. Senator Eric Adams is just waiting for us to get more signature to make this petiton official.
    Please take a minute to sign it!!

http://www.petition.fm/petitions/mountprospectparkdogrun/

Cristina
  • Just signed. Goal is 100 signatures....so, we need a few more folks to sign the petition.
  • At last the dog people & the kid people on the same page. I read your post & I am thinking about how I live in fear of my kids riding their scooters down that hill into E.P. I would like to see a fence/wall on E.P.

I think we would all be happier if there were a dug run. Then people could use the other half unencumbered. A few years ago I believe the Community Board was looking at such design proposals. I say write Tish James.

Be great if you could post petition on Prospect Heights Parents. I'll post on my building site.
  • Hold the phone. The petition suggests this dog run would have hours. Is that park hours or would this be the open area with off-leash hours? I would be more in favor of a fenced area open during park hours.
  • Hi!

It would be a fenced area at all times, it is just that the park is open only at certain hours. So, basically, the dogs will have to stay within the fenced area, at all times, while the park is open.
    My idea is that dogs, dog owners, parents and kids can enjoy the park in a safe and responsible way. For those who want their dog to "run free", they can still go to Prospect Park during off-leash hours.
    I hope I clarify the question.

THANKS A LOT FOR CIRCULATING THE PETITION!!! :-))))

Cristina
  • Just got back from Mt. prospect, had my dog off leash and was playing a little fetch with some sticks. Walked around a little up near the flag pole then started to make my way out when I realized someone behind me was mumbling and staring at me. I heard him say something about my cell phone. In hind sight I should have kept walking and left but I wasnt in the mood to be intimidated so I turned and asked if he was talking to me. And thats when his verbal tirade on my "Cracker ass" began. He was a black kid 17-25, tall with a guitar on his back. He didnt like me and insisted on telling me, and he was going to "Dust" me if I didnt leave. Oh and also according to him I am a "Pocket Pervert". I stood my ground as the two of us made a scene in front of some onlookers, none of whom felt the need to intercede, trying to make sense of what was going on. Seemed to get him angrier... Anyway just needed to vent. Like I said previously a dog run here is a great idea. I may even know someone who can entertain with his guitar...
  • Cristina - Thank you so much for doing this petition - I'm sending it to everyone I know. I've was a political organizer for about 7 years and I might have some insight on how to make this go faster. Did Eric Adams really seem like he would do something about it?

Thanks again!!!!
  • Thanks to you for your words :-) I exchanged some emails with Senator Adams and he told me he would schedule an appointment with someone (I don't remember who it was right now) to make the petition officially. He seemed genuine to me...let's see... I also talked to Letitia James on the phone and she told me she totally support the petition.
    Any piece of advise/help will be more than welcome. I am not from here and I don't really know how it goes...I'm trying to learn how to get it done but sometimes it is difficult. Anyway, I wanna give it a try! :-)
    Senator E. Adams is supposed to get back to me soon regarding this matter. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks again!!!!
  • ^^^ AWESOME!!!
  • Cristina - Yes, I'm actually talking to some friends of mine who know the inner workings of the city to see what their advice might be. And I'm going to call Leticia James's office as well - just to keep the buzz going. Please PLEASE! Let us know how everything is going and once I get some information I'll send it your way!

Thank you so much for all your hard work on this
    L
  • If a park has a fenced in dog run, there can not be any off leash dogs at any time.

so be careful what you ask for - MPP has always been really liberal as far as off leash goes, so I am not sure what the need is (I brought my dog there 3 times a day for 7 years and maybe 10 times either was asked by a cop or someone, or felt the need myself, to leash my dog). But I haven't been there for 2 years or so...

If you get a dog run,
    a) no more off leash
    b) a part of the park becomes specifically dedicated for one purpose
    c) it concentrates all dogs - well-behaved and poorly behaved - into a forced intimacy.
  • Thanks for sharing your opinion, gapco. I understand what you are explaining but I still feel I need a dog run in that park even though I know there will be no more off-leash hours if a dog run is built:

1. We will still have huge Prospect Park to enjoy off-leash hours. It's just five minutes by walking from MPP.
    2. It is not a matter of being asked by a police/parent/anybody to put your dog on leash (or to feel you need to do so), it is a matter of respecting and obeying the law. That is the only way to be a responsible dog owner and to allow everybody to fully enjoy the park.
    3. Dog runs have rules, some of them can help to avoid conflicts with dogs with bad behavior: a designated area for dogs needing some "time off", separated areas for big and small dogs, a "code of conduct" at the entrance we all have to follow, for example.

Best.

Cristina
  • I understand what you are saying gapco, but my dog is a rescue and has trouble coming back to me, so I'm afraid to have him off leash because it could be dangerous.

You might then say, well, tough luck. But, I'd like a place where I can relax about letting him run around, where he's safe. We have small apartments and concrete is all around us here in BK - so it would be really nice for those of us who couldn't otherwise use the amazing off leash hours in Prospect Park to have a place where our poochs can get fresh air and run.

It would be great to have your support.
  • I also don't believe it's an zero sum game. A fenced in dog run doesn't mean no more off leash.
  • We have 100 signatures!!! Cristina - any update? I spoke to my contacts and they were pretty sure this is a City Council Issue.

Congrats! Everybody keep signing!

http://www.petition.fm/petitions/mountprospectparkdogrun/
  • SO good!!! :D
    I am waiting for Senator Adams to get back to me, and I am going to email Mrs. Pearl Miles (as Letitia James suggested me) to see what she can do. I am also thinking of attending the 9th May roundtable hold by NYCdogs to tour the newly renovated Tompkins Sq Dog Park bc there will be a Q&A with dog park managers from all over the City and reps from Parks.

Any other ideas???
  • Here is the email I just got from Senator Eric Adams:

Cristina, I will be back in the city on Saturday.

I will have my staff move on this issue and get back with a date and time. You should reach out to some of the people that signed the petition and be prepared to notify them when the meeting will take place.

Best

Eric
    NYS Senator

I will keep you all posted.

Cristina
  • Here is the email I just got from Senator Eric Adams:

Cristina, I will be back in the city on Saturday.

I will have my staff move on this issue and get back with a date and time. You should reach out to some of the people that signed the petition and be prepared to notify them when the meeting will take place.

Best

Eric
    NYS Senator

I will keep you all posted.

Cristina
  • Excellent!
  • I am sorry, this is a city. If you want your dog off-leash and you aren't happy with the accomodations that have been made for this, then move to the country, where off leash dogs belong.
  • you sure sound sorry :roll:

anyway, that's exactly how i feel about the neighbors whose loud party kept me up the other night. you want to be loud? go to the country where you won't bother anyone. (of course, plenty of people think the opposite. there's the rub.)
  • I mean, sure - if I want rolling hills, move to the country. If i don't want loud neighbors, move to the country. If I want cheaper rent, move someplace else.

It's not a strong argument against this. Stillif - you sound offended by the thought of trying to make change in this regard. I'm not sure why. Did a fenced-in-dog run ruin your day once? Did a dog in a fenced-in-dog run stomp on foot? Spill your coffee? Using your argument, we could stifle a lot of change here, because this is a city and not the country, so let's not make change.

I don't buy it - and it's not that helpful.
  • Whoa, whoa, whoa, I have nothing against dog runs... didn't say i did. I think dog runs are great. I think off leash dogs are great. I just don't think any dog owners should expect to have their dogs off-leash in areas that are not clearly marked as such. Those of you who have made the choice to have a dog in a city, just like those of us who made the choice to have kids in the city, know that there are drawbacks. For instance, I know that my kids can't go out and play kickball in the middle of the road, though they would love to, and it would be sooo much easier for me than to have to schlep them all the way to the park.... but, I live in a city, there isn't alot I can do about it. Just as having horses in a city is expensive, challenging, and ultimately only for those with the resources to do it, keeping any animal in the city, is a responsibility of the owner. The city (and here I mean the authorities that run it) have an obligation to facilitate the lives of its citizens. The animals are not, as much as we love them, citizens of the city. They are invited guests. And like at the gym, you pay for your own invited guests.

To be honest, I love dogs. I had them all through my rural childhood, and it always seemed so sad to see large, physically active breeds living in restricted spaces that a city provides. I think people who are keeping large dogs in a city are, to some extent, trying to pretend they don't live in a city. I have spent enough of my life cleaning dog sh*t off my shoes, my kids shoes, my bike, my carpets, my car... when I don't have a dog and I don't go to any dog runs. I am curious how the dog owners would feel if I left discreetly hidden piles of my rear-end refuse in the areas where they go to play, sit on the grass and tumble around with their toddlers?
  • Ok - let me see if I understand you.

You are saying that since we chose live in the city, we should simply except what services there are for our dogs and not try for better services we think would benefit not only us, but also a larger community of dog owners.

If you read above, which i'm sure you did, you will notice that Senator Eric Adams has expressed interest in this, as has 132 people (link here: http://www.petition.fm/petitions/mountprospectparkdogrun/).

So, again, we, along with lots of other CITIZENS (tax paying and all) and a New York State Senator, have a desire to make this happen.

If you have nothing against dog runs, i'm not sure what this is really all about. But i suppose we must agree to disagree.
  • Oh yeah, my large breed dog is *so* much worse off in my urban apartment than he was in the urban shelter he lived in before I adopted him. I feel so sorry for him. He sleeps on a cushy bed, gets fed 2 squares a day, gets more medical care than the average Prospect Heightser (don't get me started on the state of health insurance), goes on long walks with people who love him, and gets to socialize with other dogs in the nabe. Rough life. He'd be far better off in the country.

I'm looking forward to the meeting about the dog run when it happens.
  • Its a great idea and I've signed the petition. But I have little faith in the MPP police precinct in terms of responding to problems.

As we've learned over the years, those of us across the street from MPP are in a different precinct. The precinct responsible for MPP doesn't care about our neighborhood. In fact, these are the people who issue cheap "sound permits" for MPP and allow private parties to blast music and noise for hours during the warm weather months. The city manager in charge of MPP has asked the cops to stop the permits (he gets all the angry phone calls) and the precinct has refused to act.

In terms of safety issues in MPP (robberies, gang activity, drug sales, mentally ill people), their response has been poor. When you call the precinct to ask for help, you get a "F you" sort of answer. One cop told me that they were responsible for a high crime area and MPP is at the bottom of their priorities. His advice about the safety issues? Just stay out of the park.

If there was a problem at an MPP dog run, I'm afraid we'll get the same attitude from the precinct.
  • sorry - meant to say "accept"
  • ste3021878 wrote: Its a great idea and I've signed the petition. But I have little faith in the MPP police precinct in terms of responding to problems.

As we've learned over the years, those of us across the street from MPP are in a different precinct. The precinct responsible for MPP doesn't care about our neighborhood. In fact, these are the people who issue cheap "sound permits" for MPP and allow private parties to blast music and noise for hours during the warm weather months. The city manager in charge of MPP has asked the cops to stop the permits (he gets all the angry phone calls) and the precinct has refused to act.

In terms of safety issues in MPP (robberies, gang activity, drug sales, mentally ill people), their response has been poor. When you call the precinct to ask for help, you get a "F you" sort of answer. One cop told me that they were responsible for a high crime area and MPP is at the bottom of their priorities. His advice about the safety issues? Just stay out of the park.

If there was a problem at an MPP dog run, I'm afraid we'll get the same attitude from the precinct.

Always interesting to see how people perceive the same thing. MPP is a park I've visited and average of 2x a day for the last 5 years.

It hosts the Panamian day events, and the occasional religious event. Yummy food with live music. Cops ensure that no one brings in alcohol.

...never had a concern in the park.
  • Hi there!!
    I still did not get any news from Senator Eric Adams but I guess he is still working on that, I will follow-up with him and will let you guys know.

And although moving to the country might be a solution for some people (well, maybe just one person) I prefer to look for solutions instead of just "escaping" so as EVERYBODY can enjoy the park (parents, kids, dog owners, dogs), which is a SMARTER option. Making changes for good is part of our responsibility as citizens, so let's be responsible and let's try to improve the services provided, do not settle for something that is not good enough.

And, please, nobody should judge if my dog is happier here in the city of in the country. I have a backyard and my dog wants to stay inside with me!. Nobody should say what is better for my dog the same way I do not say what is better for somebody's kids.

Thank for sharing your opinion, though, I just think that there are other ways to say the same thing :-)
  • BTW, I ALWAYS clean after my dog, like many other dog owners. To be honest, the big problem in MPP (and Eatern Parkway) is not dog's poop, but ALL that plastic bottles, cans, chicken bones, dirty diapers, etc etc that I found every Monday. I guess those people should move to the country, too. Or you should just accept it, huh? It is just DISGUSTING, but I don't like to generalize since I guess there are many responsible parents out there, it would be very unfair.
  • why the nay-saying? this will be an *addition* to the available legal options and not take away from the other legal options for dogplay. as for the not-legal options...i disagree with those who allow dogs offleash where it is not expressly permitted. it's inconsiderate to human and canine, alike. some people are afraid of dogs. and leashed dogs who are approached by unleashed dogs, unexpectedly, often have bad reactions, due to the inequities. my large, energetic, active-breed dog and i will much enjoy this, should it come to pass. she is not yet trustworthy enough to let loose in the park and she really loves to play. please keep us posted, christina!
  • Subject: MPP has gotten better in recent years

whynot_31 wrote: [quote=ste3021878]Its a great idea and I've signed the petition. But I have little faith in the MPP police precinct in terms of responding to problems.

Always interesting to see how people perceive the same thing. MPP is a park I've visited and average of 2x a day for the last 5 years.

It hosts the Panamian day events, and the occasional religious event. Yummy food with live music. Cops ensure that no one brings in alcohol.

...never had a concern in the park.

MPP used to be one of the most dangerous areas in Prospect Heights so it has gotten a lot safer in recent years. But the comment about the local precinct is absolutely true.

But those of us who live blocks away from MPP really despise the Panamanian Day event because the sound system is earsplittingly loud: we think they should hold these events at places which don't border high-density residential areas. Sorry - you can keep the "yummy food."
  • ...we disagree.

I'll have a plate of food with loud music a few times a year ...I live across the street.
  • any updates on this? my canine and i are eager with anticipation :D :)
  • withachaser wrote: any updates on this? my canine and i are eager with anticipation :D :)

Ditto.
  • This may be of some use if you still have the petition

BROOKLYN PARKS 2009 CAMPAIGN EVENT

Please join New Yorkers for Parks along with the Prospect Park Community Committee at the Brooklyn Candidates forum on Thursday, June 25th from 5:30pm-7:30pm at the Prospect Park Picnic House. This is your opportunity to hear from Brooklyn candidates about their commitment to New York parks.

Tell Brooklyn’s candidates that you want parks at the top of their campaign agendas! Click here to register, If you have any questions, please email Juliana Roberts Dubovsky.

IF anyone is interested I can forward them the email I received.
  • Subject: What's happening with the Mount Prospect Dog Run?

I see the petition is now approaching 200, but I don't see any posts regarding this for over a year now.

Anyone know the status?
  • I don't have a dog but a gang of kids in MPP last year decided that it would be fun to throw rocks and shaving cream at my friend as I was walking her on the sidewalk between the Museum and GAP. They had terrible aim and missed, so we ignored them and kept moving, but it didn't make me want to hang out in the park. Like some other people said, the prank/violence issues up there might need to be addressed. Funny how it's between all this stuff but kind of like a mini dead zone.
  • Has anyone heard any updates about this? I go to Manhattan dog runs now, but I'd love someplace local to take her. There are 220 signatures now, so if nothing has been approved yet I'd love to volunteer to help with this one, or perhaps another location if MPP isn't possible for some reason, so please feel free to contact me.

• I guess I should assume that this topic is dead, but I just got a dog and would love to have a dog run closer than the Old Stone House. Does anyone know what happened to this petition?

• Hi everyone!
    I would love to start this up again and make it happen! Please contact me.

carrciarra1@gmail.com

Thanks!
    Ciarra

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook