New Bar on Washington: Way Station — Brooklynian

New Bar on Washington: Way Station

685 Washington between St Marks and Prospect.

I know the owner- today is friends and family, and I'll be there. I'll report back, but he's a super cool, really nice guy, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Not sure when the "real" opening is- I'll let you know.

Comments

• Nice! More bars in more places!
  • May also make an appearance. Regulars of Beast will recognize the owner.
  • Is this the one that was supposed to be called the Flying Monkey?
  • Washington Ave pub crawl in future
  • this is awesome news!
  • Just got back- really cool space- a double store front. Won't be open for another month. They inherited the banquettes from Barrette! There will be a small stage- not sure what music they're planning to feature. All in all- good stuff. =D> :wink: :thumright:

They'll be open til 2am tonight only if anyone wants to stop by.
  • i have also heard that this bar is unofficially supposed to be the "new barrette".....
  • Could be- there were a few slu...I mean, girls dressed up in burlesque gear. Miss Coney Island was there, sash and all. Eh- I kinda hope it isn't, but if it is, then whatevs....I'll go once in a blue moon. My lesbo friend was noticing a lot of fellow teammates....
  • The slu... girls at least brought the steampunk to the steampunk bar. Apparently there are plans to really push the theme. The owner says they're working with a puppet artist to put in some moving installations and that they'll have a day photographing patrons in costumes to decorate the walls with daguerreotype portraits. Bring on the monocles!
  • It's supposed to be Brooklyn's first steampunk bar.

Thanks for holding back your name calling, What...I was one of those women dressed up—in steampunk attire, not burlesque. Tho most of those dressed up are local burlesque performers. And there were burlesquers gogo dancing.

I thought it was a pretty fun evening, and can't wait to see what more they do with the place.

Also, it's worth going if only to look at the ceiling fans. They are kind of amazing.
  • Hey, I was there last night dressed in steampunk gear with a big group of friends and we had a great time. I hope dressing steampunk-y becomes part of the bar's aesthetic. I agree w/ jcq that we really brought the party.

Miss Coney Island, Gigi La Femme, is involved in creating the new bar, along with her boyfriend, Doc Wasabasco, and they invited the New York burlesque community out to the party. And the stage in the bar will be used for burlesque performances, as well as other arts; last night there were some fabulous gogo dancers entertaining everyone. So the "slu...I mean, girls dressed up in burlesque gear" will be a regular feature at the bar. The only burlesque in that area of Brooklyn was gogo dancing at Barette, so in that way Way Station will be the new Barette, but better, I think, because of the steampunk element and the burlesque power couple involved in the bar's creation.

There were only 3 or 4 gogo dancers last night and they were hired to perform. Everyone else came in costume or regular street clothes and was dressed pretty conservatively so... not sure where the "slu" idea came from.
  • EmmaViz wrote: It's supposed to be Brooklyn's first steampunk bar.

Thanks for holding back your name calling, What...I was one of those women dressed up—in steampunk attire, not burlesque. Tho most of those dressed up are local burlesque performers. And there were burlesquers gogo dancing.

I thought it was a pretty fun evening, and can't wait to see what more they do with the place.

Also, it's worth going if only to look at the ceiling fans. They are kind of amazing.
    This is great Emma! PM me next time you perform, another friend of mine just started burlesque, it's awesome!
  • I am very excited for this!! I am a fan of Wasabasco - I am quite pumped for this.
  • you had me at new bar, but lost me at "steam punk".
  • Any chance they'll have absinthe?
  • Hopefully the performers at this bar will be better-looking. Many of those at Barrette were quite homely and out of shape.
  • wrote about this awhile ago: blues, jazz, singer-songwriter.

another washington ave spot, flying monkey, is also expected to open in a month or so with limited one-off openings such as with Way Station, confirmed by owner.

unfortunately my piece posts the openings earlier; it was written back in april, but that's when the old "expected" and "set to open" comes in handy and those were the original launch dates; delays courtesy of ny liquor bureaucracy. great for the ave but still seems sad now that Tracy's gone from the lane. but alas, go-go to the go-gos.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/32/16/32_16_sk_washington.html
  • From your article, skribe00:

Andy Heidel, who hopes to open Way Station by the summer, knows that sentiment, given that he currently works at Beast, a popular Vanderbilt Avenue eatery. Heidel said he wants his “booze and blues” venue to remind people of “Moe’s in Fort Greene and Barbes in Park Slope.” Expect blues, jazz, singer-songwriter bookings.
    Seems like "booze and blues" ain't the direction he's going in now. I remember Anders telling me about how he wanted blues, as well, but I guess this "steam punk" whatever is the new angle....
  • maybe "steampunk," refers to a visual aesthetic, versus a sonic one? term references fashion mostly but perhaps not.

anyway, glad to have the new spots. cheers all,
  • Just wanted to let you know that they're having an Octoberfest this Saturday evening. My friend will be bartending in an awesome German beer wench outfit- she is divine!
  • Whatchuwant wrote: Just wanted to let you know that they're having an Octoberfest this Saturday evening. My friend will be bartending in an awesome German beer wench outfit- she is divine!
    Will you be there Sat?
  • stacey wrote: [quote=Whatchuwant]Just wanted to let you know that they're having an Octoberfest this Saturday evening. My friend will be bartending in an awesome German beer wench outfit- she is divine!
    Will you be there Sat?

Daver said we can both come out and play, so yes, we will be there! :wink:
  • so I gather from this and from this: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=150382788265 that they are still only open for events and not on a daily basis? any idea when the latter will happen?
  • Is this bar going to have people in skinny jeans and black tshirts with evil prints from bands that spit into the mic, or are they going to have people in white makeup smoking cloves and riding their Vespa clad in a trench coat, I so need to get my Joy Division shirt out of the dirty clothes or maybe still people dressed in Indiana Jones garb with welders goggles? I hope all of it I just love costumes and steam! Warehouse 13 is fantastic. I thought D&D had died but who knew.
  • xlizellx wrote: so I gather from this and from this: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=150382788265 that they are still only open for events and not on a daily basis? any idea when the latter will happen?
    Yea, they're still just doing events (they'll be one on Halloween- won't be there though, my wedding day). Not really sure when exactly the day to day thing will start, but patience, little grasshopper.
  • We went last night - I really enjoyed the band a lot and the vibe was really nice. You can tell it's not "done" but it will look amazing (I think) once the walls are papered and everything is put together.

$4 bottles of beer was my only real downside - it's cheaper than the insane price of a bottle of beer at Prospect Pond (great mixed drink prices, but $6 bottles??) but I wish they had taps - I certainly hope this is in the works.

My husband and I like how different each bar on Washington is -
    .Prospect Pond seems very "neighborhood" - a nice place for people nearby to go, but not really a destination people will travel to from outside of the area.
    .Washington Commons is a good beer bar, and is the only one that seems serious about beers outside of the city, Park Slope, or Williamsburg. People will come out for it from other areas to check it out - their tap prices are very good. They also have a huge outdoor space.
    .Half Court is a nice sports bar, and offers that for customers who want sports.
    .Way Station seems like a decent bar but with a great performance space and a nice vibe. If they have lots of bands and burlesque I think they may get people to travel to it, not just local people.

That said, I think that all bars will have an increase in customers the more bars there are. I am much more likely to go out to an avenue/street ("hey, let's go to Bleeker, 5th Ave, Smith Street, Vanderbilt, etc..") and now that there are so many options on Washington, I think they will all do even better.

To sum up my much-too-long post... Great space, excited to see it all "done", great addition to the neighborhood!
  • Whatchuwant wrote: Daver said we can both come out and play, so yes, we will be there! :wink:
    Several of us went last night in full steampunk regalia but we didn't see you and daver. What time did you guys go?
  • <---- was there again ...

saw NOT 1 human i knew
  • supreme_ian wrote: <---- was there again ...

saw NOT 1 human i knew
    How did I miss you? Were you art the bar itself? In on of the booths? Near the band?
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=Whatchuwant]Daver said we can both come out and play, so yes, we will be there! :wink:
    Several of us went last night in full steampunk regalia but we didn't see you and daver. What time did you guys go?

We had the kids this weekend, and honestly, they suck all the energy out of me after I cooking, cleaning and bossing them around.

No way I missed you in steampunk regalia!! :lol: Pics or DIDN'T HAPPEN!
  • Did anyone go to the Halloween party?
  • Ummmmm what is up with this place?

Some friends and I went nuts trying to find it tonight, and no dice. They asked inside Sit & Wonder, and were told there was something about a burned down building? Was there a fire? Did we really just not see it?
  • i don't think it's open yet for daily use. it was open on halloween but i don't think since then...
  • It's a few doors down from Tacos Muertos, I think. I saw them working on it about two weeks ago. Pretty large place and looking good.
  • the scoop as far as i know it is that they are waiting on their bar liquor license, and at the moment they're being granted events-only liquor licences, so they're able to host parties once and a while (like the opening and for halloween). will be great to have them open!
  • EmmaViz wrote: Update on the Way Station in limbo...

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/33/1/33_01_sk_way_station.html
    that sucks. I know nothing about these laws, but could they do BYOB with the bands and a small cover so that people would come until they get the license? I would go if I could drink and see live music...but just the music? the band had better be my favorite...
  • Does anyone know if Way Station still plans to open? I haven't heard anything about them in a while.
  • I've heard things are still in the works.
  • They're scheduled to open 9/4. Huzzah!
  • Cool! More bars are always welcome.
  • Where on Washington is this located? And more importantly, what's the beer selection going to be like.
  • Boygabriel wrote: Where on Washington is this located? And more importantly, what's the beer selection going to be like.
    Near St Marks, basically across from Minor Arcana. Not sure about the beer selection. They have a steampunk theme, and a stage for live music.
  • What's the story here? I walked by over the weekend, and they had a sandwich board out that said 'private party, opening soon!', but their blog hasn't been updated in a year.

• I agree that this opening has been dragged out ad naseam. An update would be appreciated, though perhaps they will never open.

• I walked past tonight and the gates were up, the lights were on, some people were sitting inside talking/typing on laptops inside, and there was a sign on the door saying "Opening soon!"

• Like the readers of Brownstoner, I have no idea what the heck "Steampunk" means.

Do I need to call the nearest suburban mall, and ask to be connected to Hot Topic?

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Homepage.jsp?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Exact-_-GGL-_-hot topic&amp;002=2161454&amp;004=1702177560&amp;005=12633271&amp;006=4992651120&amp;007=Search&amp;008=&amp;gclid=CKG-x5WQyqYCFUmo4Aodv3FVJA

• Think of the ending of Back to the Future 3... The futuristic flying locomotive with the styling of an old-fashioned steam engine. That's steampunk.

• I knew I could count on you, Booklaw!

....how can I apply this knowledge to choosing my outfit for the evening?

• I vote that you dress like Abraham Lincoln with a laser gun and aviator goggles from the turn of the century. Maybe a robotic hand too.

• And make sure that Mrs. WhyNot takes lots of good photos!

• Booklaw, you aren't coming with?

xlizelx, what will you be wearing?

• Or a radiator with a mohawk. Either way I will take photos.

• steampunk is mechanical stuff done in victorian-era style

• steampunk is mechanical stuff done in victorian-era style

Can I attach my steam engine-esq lionel train set all over me?

This discussion has been closed.