How Many Have To Die? — Brooklynian

How Many Have To Die?

Do any of you know of any programs, volunteer organizations, etc. that are focused on education and alternatives to violence for Black Youth in the local area? I feel that Flatbush is becoming my "home" after two years now, and a renewal of my lease for another two years, and what happens here means something to me, my friends, and any sense of community.

It gets really upsetting that there is SO MUCH violence in the Black Ghetto. And it's not about poverty and oppression and lack of options because I've lived in every ghetto across NYC and it's only in the Black ghetto that this kind of violence is taken for granted, is so constant and random.

This week's report of shootings and deaths has been really upsetting.

I think a total of 9+ people have died in just the past few days, including the heart-breaking report of the mother shot in front of her children; all from among Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, and Flatbush 'hoods. Most are Black on Black crimes and related to drugs, theft, or "accidental" shootings.

It's just so overwhelming to live within a culture that is so self-destructive and implosive... there has to be something we, as a community, can do to help redirect all of this?

Any ideas?

ORBIT

Comments

• The first thing you need to do is substitute "poor" where you've written "Black" and you'll have a better grasp of the problem.
    If these neighborhoods were middle class they would be worrying about who's not picking up dog shit or getting bike lanes painted on the street.
  • Orbit? your lack of everything in this open letter annoys me. Are you a white dude? I am assuming you are by the ignorance in the last part of your letter.... Have you ever been to Bushwick where the ghetto is Puerto-Rican? Haven't you ever seen the trash white ladied walking Fulton in the morning? How bout those projects on Bedford which are full of Hasidic families? Is there a reason why you think that you only need to help blacks? Is there a reason why you think only my darker brown brothers are violent?
  • Subject: Back Role Models

modsquad wrote: The first thing you need to do is substitute "poor" where you've written "Black" and you'll have a better grasp of the problem.
    If these neighborhoods were middle class they would be worrying about who's not picking up dog shit or getting bike lanes painted on the street.
    Not true. You might have missed my addressing that point in the original post. Poverty plays a part, but a minor part, in the amount of crime and violence in a society. There are many poor cultures in our world who don't constantly try to kill each other, but work as a community in supporting each other.

I've lived in poor Hispanic, Polish, Asian, White, Italian, etc neighborhoods all over NYC and the amount of violence and crime in those neighborhoods is nowhere near the same.

Not even close.

I really think it has something to do with the limited examples of Black role models in the media. For decades the only options have been proud, philandering sports icons, or puffed up thugs beating down their ho's and stealing their bling. No other race has that as its primary (and only) models for youth, if you think about it.

ORBIT
  • Lexie Z wrote: Is there a reason why you think that you only need to help blacks? Is there a reason why you think only my darker brown brothers are violent?
    Sorry to raise your defenses. I totally understand. It's a very sensitive issue, and your reaction is one of the reasons no one gets anything accomplished or changed. It's so easy for everyone to just fall into a combative context of defensive, politically-correct stances, but I hope that's not the only response.

I would love to find out that my perception is skewed and inaccurate, so if you can provide any material for my education, I'd love to find out that it's not an issue for concern.

Bu, yes, there is a reason I've attributed my primary concern toward my Black neighborhood... because the ratio of violent crime per capita is higher in those neighborhoods than in any other, and nearly every day I watch the news, someone from our neighborhoods have been shot or killed.

Now, it might be that the news and the statistics are skewed, and I wouldn't be surprised, but in my 20+ years of living across NYC, it's only been in my Black 'hood that I have had to witness a shooting, see people cleaning up blood outside of a McDonald's, hear that my neighbor's child was killed by a stray bullet. So when my own eyes match the reports, I feel the problem is clearly more rampant here than in other areas.

I would love it if all I needed to worry about was increasing my own understanding and education... that would be so much easier than having to educate an entire generation about new possibilities in our new world...

ORBIT
  • "new possibilities in our new world..."

What are you talking about?
  • I'm thinking that violence knows no color—I think you can go to other parts of the U.S. and see people not of color perpetrating violent acts. With that said, the one commonality between in violence of all types is a rampant anti-intellectualism. Were people educated enough/more in schools I think the level of violence would decrease. As it is now, it's not cool to be smart.
  • Subject: New World?

rezist wrote: "new possibilities in our new world..."

What are you talking about?
    I don't know if you noticed, but it's the 21st Century now. We have our first Black President. And despite the ignorant reactions from the conservative, right-wings, this represents a huge paradigm shift. It's time to take advantage of all of the possibilities, and not just resign to stereotypes and political correctness as our guiding principles.

ORBIT
  • Orange Fish wrote: I'm thinking that violence knows no color—I think you can go to other parts of the U.S. and see people not of color perpetrating violent acts. With that said, the one commonality between in violence of all types is a rampant anti-intellectualism. Were people educated enough/more in schools I think the level of violence would decrease. As it is now, it's not cool to be smart.
    I'd have to agree with you, except that I've only known that attitude to be expressed in my Black neighborhood. In every other circle, it's actually a very sexy and enticing characteristic to be intelligent and educated. My successful, educated Black friends have been ostracized from their communities and sometimes even from their families only because of their pursuit for education and their subsequent success. There was a documentary about this in the past few years, interviewing children coming from homes and neighborhoods where they were bullied or even beaten and murdered for pursuing education. Tragic. There is a lot of pride, identity, and security in poverty and the lack of education among some.
  • Back to the point, though...

Any organization, volunteer groups, or community boards that are focused on helping the situation.

Because, regardless of whether this is or is not unique to our neighborhood, it still exists, and is still in need of being alleviated, if possible.

I'm not here to have some kind of rhetorical debate, so rather than express defensiveness and reactions and upholding political correctness as a shield against reality, I'd really rather you focus on the fact that people are willing and able to help out the community, regardless of race or statistics, and please offer some links or details for where to go, next.

Thanks.

ORBIT
  • Try the local churches or community centers, the local YMCA or the PAL. But I imagine any organization that is wokring with kids and local violence will not only be working with Blacks but all the kids in the community.
  • luckmagnet wrote: Try the local churches or community centers, the local YMCA or the PAL. But I imagine any organization that is wokring with kids and local violence will not only be working with Blacks but all the kids in the community.
    Those are great suggestions, though I'd like to keep my distance from the churches. I really despise proselytizing and recruitment in the guise of "community services."

And I didn't mean for suggestions to be geared only toward Black youth. I only specified Black youth in the context of this area being predominantly Black. My intentions would be for the community, which would include all of us, not just one race.

Thanks!

ORBIT
  • As a former member of service for NYPD I can tell you that violent crimes in predominantly white neighborhoods occur more often than reported for one. I have to say that I hope you are not getting involved simply because you renewed your lease and have to live in your community a little longer thus you suddenly feel a need to want to bring about change. In the first 2 years that you lived in the neighborhood did you feel the same way or could you care less because you were passing thru and it wasnt your "home" but rather someplace you could afford to live?
  • arlette wrote: As a former member of service for NYPD I can tell you that violent crimes in predominantly white neighborhoods occur more often than reported for one. I have to say that I hope you are not getting involved simply because you renewed your lease and have to live in your community a little longer thus you suddenly feel a need to want to bring about change. In the first 2 years that you lived in the neighborhood did you feel the same way or could you care less because you were passing thru and it wasnt your "home" but rather someplace you could afford to live?
    I sure wish this subject wasn't so entangled with defensiveness and attempts at distraction, but if it's important to interrogate me, instead of offer up solutions, I'll try to respond kindly so you can see my intentions are honest and humble, even if naive.

I'm not sure how you are defining violent crime, but according to my local precinct, it includes robbery, sexual offenses, assault, and murder. I suppose some sexual offenses and some robberies can go without being reported, but not many murders, and injurious assaults go unnoticed/unreported. Why a "white" neighborhood wouldn't want to report violent crimes, I can't imagine. It seems like it would be just the opposite. In every other neighborhood I've lived, I've not seem much tolerance for crime, but my current neighborhood blows it off as "just the way it is."

My first two years were spent just adapting to the neighborhood, and trying to be accepted by the community, trying to keep my spirits and strength up in the face of racism and assaults against me for just being White, and trying to understand the culture before taking any action. I'd rather feel a part of the community before acting on its behalf, and in my two years of living here, my entire block has turned into an oasis of kind, friendly, wonderful people! When discussing the local news, and the latest murders, and the latest robberies, etc, many of my neighbors share the same perception and concern that I do, except many of them express resignation to the situation. They feel it's something they just have to live with, and that the situation is just too daunting.

So now that I have personal friendships with my community, and I know more than just I care about what happens around here, I thought I'd start initiating conversation and exchange of ideas, insights, and directions so I can relay them to others around me who care.

I hope this helps your understanding of my intentions.

ORBIT
  • Several times in his autobiography, Malcolm X brings up the encounter he had with "one little blonde co-ed" who stepped in, then out, of his life not long after hearing him speak at her New England college. "I'd never seen anyone I ever spoke before more affected than this little white girl," he wrote. So greatly did this speech affect the young woman that she actually flew to New York and tracked him down inside a Muslim restaurant he frequented in Harlem. "Her clothes, her carriage, her accent," he wrote, "all showed Deep South breeding and money." After introducing herself, she confronted Malcolm and his associates with this question: "Don't you believe there are any good white people?" He said to her: "People's deeds I believe in, Miss, not their words."

She then exclaimed: "What can I do?" Malcolm said: "Nothing." A moment later she burst into tears, ran out and along Lenox Avenue, and disappeared by taxi into the world.

Are you that little blond coed, ORBITBOY?
  • modsquad wrote:
    It's really unfortunate that these conversations get reduced to sanctimonious antagonizing insults, instead of intelligent dialog. I tried to respond to you patiently and with respect for your position and perspective, but that was my last effort. Sorry.

ORBIT
  • OrbitBoy wrote: It's really unfortunate that these conversations get reduced to sanctimonious antagonizing insults, instead of intelligent dialog.
    Amen. I think most people on the board are decent. Unfortunately, there are a few people on this board who, despite having nothing to say, always feel the need to say something.

It's like that old saying. A wise person speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something.
  • try talkng to your local councilperson for a recommendation of a good organization to work with. there are also mentoring programs,volunteer at the library or call 311 for info on volunteering, they can try to match you with a group.
    try looking at your interest and see if sharing your interests might be a way to connect with young people.
    to hell with all the nay sayers, you dont need to justify yourself to anyone,. As Malcolm X implied "actions speak louder than words" .
    If you search, you will find some way to help and connect. Just improving one kids chances at living a non-violent life is great.
    Doing something is better than doing nothing.
  • OrbitBoy wrote: [quote=modsquad]
    It's really unfortunate that these conversations get reduced to sanctimonious antagonizing insults, instead of intelligent dialog.
    ORBIT

Like this:

"And despite the ignorant reactions from the conservative, right-wings,"

Democrats and welfare destroyed the black family. Here's a good read:

Democrats destroying black families

I know this is a rather provocative title, but I was challenged by some of my email buddies to provide evidence on how liberal Democratic policies have destroyed the black family, plus I adamantly believe it. According to the stellar black columnist and economics Professor, Walter Williams, said, “That if the Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan set out to destroy the black family he couldn’t have done as much damage as the failing government run schools systems”. Moreover, in my humble opinion the “War on Poverty” unveiled by Democrat President Lyndon Baines Johnson in 1963 was particularly devastating to black families. And, here are some of the specific statistics that show government’s “help” having unintended consequences that border on criminal. These statistics were in Mr. Williams article.

US Black males represent 13.5% of the overall population, yet make up 70% of prison populations.

80% of these crimes are black on black crime.

30 to 40% of black males graduate from high school.

1940 black illegitimacy rates were at 19%
    1960 black illegitimacy rates were at 22%
    2009 black illegitimacy rates were at 70%

Another chilling example of problems wrought by liberal policies was found on Black on Black Crime Coalition (hhscenter.org) with Ms. Joyce Raynor elucidating the issues that need remedying. Here were some more startling numbers.

Violent crimes claim more black men than heart disease, cancer or diabetes.
    Homicide leading cause of death for black young men 10-24.
    Homicide is the second leading cause of death for black women aged 15-24.

Welfare made the Father expendable and black families broke up at an astounding rate. The welfare checks became the replacement for a strong Father figure in white and hispanic families too in an array of cities across the nation. This is another example of liberalism run amok. The crime rates were significantly lower in the urban areas before these programs were implemented. Moreover, Williams talked about black families being unified in past generations by furnishing additional sources including brilliant author Thomas Sowell as well as Herbert Gutman’s book called “The Black Family in slavery and freedom 1750-1925″, which was a compelling case that illustrating black families before and after the Civil War. According to Gutman, “Five in six children under the age of 6 lived with both parents” in 1925. Williams says, “If one argues that what we see today is a result of a legacy of slavery, discrimination and poverty, what’s the explanation for stronger families at at time much closer to slavery- a time of much discrimination and of much greater poverty? I think that a good part of the answer is there were no welfare and Great Society programs.”

Black Americans have overwhelmingly voted for the Democratic Party for decades. In the past Presidential election, Obama gleaned approximately 96% of the African American vote, which was somewhat understandable as he was the nations first bi-racial nominee for either party.

I’m always a little perplexed as to why Democrats enjoy the loyal support of black Americans considering the sorry legacy of the liberals throughout history. During the 1960’s, it was the Republicans, not the Democrats who ensured passage of the Civil Rights legislation to ensure that we lived out our creed of America’s founding. Absolute heroes like Martin Luther King Jr. were instrumental in helping us to put the melancholy chapter of “seperate, but equal” behind us for ever. Democrats almost univerally vote against black families in urban war zones that are desperately trying to give their children a quality education by sending them to charter schools. Even the first Black President, Obama voted to close down charter schools in Washington, D.C. where the minority parents were absolutely outraged. He relented in letting the families have their kids graduate, but the bottom line is that these clearly working schools where the children were excelling will be a distant memory as we can’t have any competition to the failing and crime ridden public schools in Washington, D.C. Thanks National Education Association, I’m sure the check is in the mail and these prisoners of failing schools, will be destined for doom in dangerous environments because politics certainly trumps the children.

What are the black Americans receiving for this alliance with the Democratic Party? Clearly, their situation is not improving as education, the break-up of their families and rampant black on black crime is escalating. Maybe, minorities should give the Republicans a chance as forty years of liberal solutions has been illustrated to be cataclysmic dream breakers with deadly consequences. The Grand Old Party must articulate a visionary platform for wooing minorities. I’m not talking about gamesmanship or pandering for votes, rather we must offer real solutions, especially school choice. And, the Democrats need to answer for their programs letting minority families down. The Democrats are extending welfare and other entitlements programs that will only offer table scraps as opposed to living the real American dream.

We need the real black advocates like Sowell, Williams, and Bill Cosby to step forward to start the next chapter on a positive path for minorities to follow, while ignoring race pimps like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Jackson and Sharpton are not interested in solutions, but are all about enriching themselves.
    June 23rd, 2009
  • Subject: Re: How Many Have To Die?

OrbitBoy wrote: Do any of you know of any programs, volunteer organizations, etc. that are focused on education and alternatives to violence for Black Youth in the local area? ...... all from among Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, and Flatbush 'hoods. Most are Black on Black crimes and related to drugs, theft, or "accidental" shootings. .....

It's just so overwhelming to live within a culture that is so self-destructive and implosive...

Any ideas?

ORBIT
    One of the first things they teach us in therapy school is that if you want to really be a "helper" or an empathic person, you have to leave your judgments at the door.

There is something implicit in your statements and that something is "blackness" is the root of violence. Do you think anyone would want help or aid from someone that believes that the persons they are helping are essentially defective humans?

Let me just give you "flipside" example of how you come across:

Hello everyone,
    I happen to live in the USA and I use United States dollars. I like using dollars. Is there a program to help educate or work against the robbing/defrauding/ponzi schemes/ predatory lending in the White Middle aged male community? Just these past two years, we have had Bernie Madoff, the head of Goldman Sachs, and the guys at Enron. In fact when I worked as a public school teacher my pension fund invested in Michael Milken junk bonds and now its worth nothing. It seems so much a part of the culture in that community. What can I do to help make a difference in that community...... Any ideas?
  • Thanks to those who suggested some great ideas... Some of those things I've already begun, and some of the ideas I hadn't even thought of! So thank you!

So I'm going to leave this thread now, because it's turned into a platform for those with a chip on their shoulder. That kind of typical behavior can be so disheartening. As exemplified by some in this thread, there is just so much pride invested in the current state of things that it's not surprising how completely daunting it might be for anyone to think anything can really change.

In my opinion, I wouldn't care WHAT race a person is, or WHY a person felt motivated... if someone wants to step up in a way that might help kids to stop shooting and killing each other, I'd do all I could to keep them on board, not insult them.

Even if you feel my motivation is prompted by ignorance, you should take that as an opportunity for education and insightful perceptions to help expand my understanding, instead of just shooting the entire conversation down.

It really doesn't matter if there is more or less crime around here, or if the people who want to make a difference are White, Black, Green, or Purple... we need to help take care of each other, not just defend violence, and use every opportunity to drive wedges deeper between us.

I'm not giving up, that's for sure. And neither should any of you.

ORBIT
  • Subject: Re: How Many Have To Die?

The Psycho-ologist wrote:
    One of the first things they teach us in therapy school is that if you want to really be a "helper" or an empathic person, you have to leave your judgments at the door.

There is something implicit in your statements and that something is "blackness" is the root of violence. Do you think anyone would want help or aid from someone that believes that the persons they are helping are essentially defective humans?

Let me just give you "flipside" example of how you come across:

Hello everyone,
    I happen to live in the USA and I use United States dollars. I like using dollars. Is there a program to help educate or work against the robbing/defrauding/ponzi schemes/ predatory lending in the White Middle aged male community? Just these past two years, we have had Bernie Madoff, the head of Goldman Sachs, and the guys at Enron. In fact when I worked as a public school teacher my pension fund invested in Michael Milken junk bonds and now its worth nothing. It seems so much a part of the culture in that community. What can I do to help make a difference in that community...... Any ideas?
    I appreciate the point you are trying to make, but I think your example "flipside" sounds perfectly legitimate and, in fact, is a topic on the daily news in some way since all of that fraud came to light. It ruined a lot of lives and has affected thousands upon thousands of people.

And think about it... why would anyone need to walk on eggshells to ask for help in how to deal with criminals?

Instead of thinking of this subject with such knee-jerk reactions, try to think about this for what it is: an attempt to heal something legitimately sick in a community.

Just because someone is diagnosed with Cancer, doesn't automatically imply that the person diagnosed IS the Cancer. And avoiding the diagnosis for the sake of hurt feelings is lethal.

And clearly, so is ignoring the problem of our community.

ORBIT
  • Orbit, damned if you do, damned if you don't. Good for you for trying, I second tsarina's advice.
  • OrbitBoy wrote:
    if someone wants to step up in a way that might help kids to stop shooting and killing each other, I'd do all I could to keep them on board, not insult them.

ORBIT
    OrbitBoy wrote:
    I'd like to keep my distance from the churches. I really despise proselytizing and recruitment in the guise of "community services."

ORBIT
    Yet Black churches, more than anybody else are on the front lines. Only a person who expects to have ample choices in his life, a person of some affluence, would qualify the help that is needed in a crisis such as you describe.
  • modsquad wrote: [quote=OrbitBoy]
    I'd like to keep my distance from the churches. I really despise proselytizing and recruitment in the guise of "community services."

ORBIT
    Yet Black churches, more than anybody else are on the front lines. Only a person who expects to have ample choices in his life, a person of some affluence, would qualify the help that is needed in a crisis such as you describe.

*rolls eyes*

I'm living with a terminal illness, helped by SSI, and barely make enough money to feed myself or the animals in my care.

Any help in a crisis is helpful, but I don't think any of us were discussing a crisis. We were talking about community support and long-term solutions.

And I'm sorry, but Black, White, Red, or Yellow, EVERYONE should have the right to expect to have ample choices in life, and expect to have some affluence... The fact that this is seen as a bad thing is just another example of why poverty and crime continue in areas like this.

And your reactions exemplify how knee-jerk defensive reactions tend to tell more about your prejudices than about the reality of the situation.

I hope something is learned by some of you from this thread.

None of us can help our prejudices when that's all we've known, and prejudices are just a natural part of navigating life; a kind of short-cut through the wilds... But when the opportunity comes along to see something different, and to rise above presumptions, it's best to take advantage of that opportunity and at least add to your banks of perception that a prejudice MAY JUST BE outdated or completely inaccurate.

It's a new world, I say... give it a frickin' chance.

ORBIT
  • OrbitBoy wrote:
    Those are great suggestions, though I'd like to keep my distance from the churches. I really despise proselytizing and recruitment in the guise of "community services."

ORBIT
    I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you avoid chuch-based social programs completely.

Despite what you may see in the media, there is a vast diversity of thought in the Black community when it comes to religious beliefs. Most churches recognize this and their social programs are reflective of it. I'd suggest that you'll see differences in programs run by black Episcopal churches, Catholic churches, Pentacostal churches, Southern Baptist churches, and non-denominational churches, to name just a few.

Many of them expressly do NOT use their social programs or services as a basis of recruiting new members, nor do they limit services to people who are of like thought or mind. Just because you don't have the same belief system, doesn't mean that they will either reject you or recruit you, and the same is true for the clients they serve at food kitchens, afterschool programs, tutoring and mentoring programs, or any of the hundreds of other types of programs run by churches here in Brooklyn. If you are truly looking for community based, grassroots programing the churches have some of the oldest and most established programs.

I'd suggest you find a program that's got a good reputation, then do a little homework instead of rejecting working with a program outright because it is connected to, established by, or based out of a house of worship.
  • homeowner wrote:
    I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you avoid chuch-based social programs completely.

Despite what you may see in the media, there is a vast diversity of thought in the Black community when it comes to religious beliefs. Most churches recognize this and their social programs are reflective of it. I'd suggest that you'll see differences in programs run by black Episcopal churches, Catholic churches, Pentacostal churches, Southern Baptist churches, and non-denominational churches, to name just a few. -snipped-
    Great response. Thank you for that. I will definitely open up my search to include this option, then, but only very tentatively and cautiously.

My exclusion of them wasn't based on media, nor on the fact that they are "Black" churches. I excluded them because A) historically, the underlying efforts of most churches are recruitment and proselytizing, and B) because the local churches I've endured throughout Flatbush have displayed themselves as extremely hostile and divisive forces in and of themselves, going so far as to park huge speakers on corners and blast the neighborhood with imposed beliefs, which often include hate-speech against non-Blacks, and shouting out derogatory names at passers-by. For instance, when the protests against Proposition 8 (the proposal that represents an active religiously-motivated pursuit for removal of equal rights and protection for gay people) was being promoted, the local members of local churches proudly tore down the fliers or wrote homophobic slurs on them, all in the name of the lord...

Religion, in general, is a major part of the problem of our society, so it is a bit precarious to resort to it for solutions.

ORBIT
  • While this concept is likely to invite the same line of defensiveness and denial outlined above, I think that your comment about role models is very relevant. Boys need male role models to help teach and guide them. Moms do a great job, but I believe there is a lot of truth to same-sex bonding, especially during adolescence. In my line of work, I have dealt with hundreds of men with histories of violence, incarceration, poor temper control, and general despair. One factor common to most is having had no strong male presence in their upbringing or current life. They usually speak of mothers, sisters, grandmothers, aunts, daughters, female cousins, etc., but rarely have I heard about father, grandfathers, or uncles, except to mention that those people were absent, had left the family at a young age, or simply showed little interest in their lives. As a result, these men reached teenaged years and gravitated towards one another, where they had no guidance, defied their mothers, dismissed advice from sisters, and often wound up dead, in jail, addicted to drugs or alcohol, or facing adulthood with no education, skills, or hope (and felonies on their records).

While I've found this pattern across racial and ethnic lines, ORBIT does have a point in that it's disproportionately present in the lives of black males. Talk to people in black communities and you'd find that many would flatly state that they agree with what ORBIT says.

The only problem is I don't know how any program can make a father care about or spend time with his son. Mentoring programs for boys are chronically short of volunteers (not true for programs for girls, though), so I'm at a loss concerning suggestions. IMO, the best we can do is save people on a case-by-case basis while hoping that the others survive long enough to calm down and piece together their lives once they undergo the traumatic experiences of being locked up, seeing their friends die at young ages, or repeating the same mistakes in their own lives.
  • Jack Krohn wrote: While I've found this pattern across racial and ethnic lines, ORBIT does have a point in that it's disproportionately present in the lives of black males. Talk to people in black communities and you'd find that many would flatly state that they agree with what ORBIT says.
    Wow, a very insightful response. Thank you for that. It's important to bring this human element to such things as violence and patterns of violence, because for the most part, no matter how awful a situation is, everyone involved was once a child, was once innocent, and most likely had hoped for better,

Thanks for this, @Jack Something to ponder as part of the next step. "Big Brother" organizations, maybe...

Orbit
  • You may be able to find something here:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dycd/html/home/home.shtml

This organization is more crown heights focused but may be an avenue to find something more local to your neighborhood:

http://www.chycbrooklyn.org/
  • @Ben, wow, those are great resources! Thanks!!

Orbit
This discussion has been closed.