Spot Crime Online Resource — Brooklynian

Spot Crime Online Resource

This is a great site for checking the crime what's happening in your 'hood. This link is for Brooklyn: http://www.spotcrime.com/ny/brooklyn

Orbit

Comments

• It leaves out a lot of things though
  • cccc wrote: It leaves out a lot of things though
    So true... but I can't find anything more comprehensive. I am really surprised that so much of the crime I witness goes unreported in any news or reports.

Orbit
  • Yeah, the news just reports on a fraction of the shootings, stabbings, etc. For example, within the confines of 67th precinct, which covers East Flatbush, there were approximatively 90 shooting victims last year. I would be surprised if the news reported on 25 of them.
  • cccc wrote: Yeah, the news just reports on a fraction of the shootings, stabbings, etc. For example, within the confines of 67th precinct, which covers East Flatbush, there were approximatively 90 shooting victims last year. I would be surprised if the news reported on 25 of them.
    This is why I have empathy for anyone posting here and asking if the neighborhood is safe. Why people take that as such a personal assault, or racist implication, is beyond me. It's a practical question that many ask of many neighborhoods for a number of reasons, but when it comes to neighborhoods in the ghetto, the question actually becomes necessary because too much crime is dismissed as inherent or default to the 'hood.

I'm shocked by how flippantly the ghetto responds to violence and crime. At best there are people who try to make a difference, and at worst there is that handful who wreak havoc, but then there's a wide swath in between that is defensive of it and almost takes pride in the violence and crime, and react with insult to any questioning of it or want to change it.

I've learned to tolerate the world of the ghetto because I have to for now, and because there are good people here who wish for better, too, but there are days when I visit Manhattan, or other more racially-diverse areas of Brooklyn and I remember with great disheartening nostalgic pain what it was like to live among civilized people.

Insularity inbreeds violence and rejection of progress.

Orbit
This discussion has been closed.