Tattoos in brooklyn — Brooklynian

Tattoos in brooklyn

My brother's friend wants to get a tattoo, his mom knows and already went with him to a tattoo shop but the tattoo artist still wont let him get it because he is only 15, I thought one a parent is there i did not matter about the child's age, hmmm guess I was wrong. Does anyone know of a good tattoo shop in Brooklyn where he can go with a parent and get his tattoo done at his age? Thank You in advance

Comments

• His mother needs a visit from child services not a reccomendation on a tattoo parlor. It is disgusting to think that there are parents out there that will allow their children to get a permanent tattoo at the age of 15.
  • I understand were you are coming from but it is neither my buissness nor yours what they decide to do. I am just trying to help the mom since she asked. You know how rebellious kids can be so it is actually better that he had asked his mother rather than get it without her pemission. I''ve seen kids younger than that with tattoos.
  • Subject: fox hunting

he should get a back tattoo which shows a classic English Foxhunting scene, and the foxes tail disappears into his butthole. just my 2 cents.
  • whatever... his mother is a mess and you can tell her i said so!
  • I believe the law is that you have to be at least 18 to get a tattoo in NY, even if a parent accompanies the child.
  • In PA, CT, and I believe NJ a parent can bring their 16 year old child in and sign over consent. Since tattooing has only been legal in NY since 1997, I don't believe the laws have caught up. Its admirable the kid went to his parent, but any shop that is willing to break the law and tattoo a minor in NY, you would have to imagine how their ethics come into play, and what other laws they might be breaking as far as sterility and cleanliness.

As far as a 15 year old getting tattooed, their body has not stopped growing, therefore its not a great idea to permanently mark it. Also, as far as myself, If I started getting tattooed when I was 15, I think I would regret the subject matter I chose later on when my mind had time to stop growing (think pot leaves and Xmen characters- not that there's anything wrong with that!).

When I was in high school a girl wanted to get a tattoo, she asked her mother. The mother said she would agree to it if the daughter wrote an essay explaining why they wanted it, and explaining the subject matter of it and why it meant so much (and that the mother found the reasoning acceptable ). I didn't see the letter, or the tattoo, but I heard she got it. Kind of interesting.

Either way, I wish them luck, and if they wait til he's 16, go to Dreamlandcreations.com -Myke Maldonado is a NY native, and is amazing, and he's in East Stroughsburg PA, like 45 minutes out of the bronx.

- Heavily tattooed guy
  • It is violation of section 260.21 of New York State Penal Law to tattoo minors under the age of 18, regardless of parental consent.
  • luckmagnet wrote: In PA, CT, and I believe NJ a parent can bring their 16 year old child in and sign over consent. Since tattooing has only been legal in NY since 1997, I don't believe the laws have caught up.
    wth, I did not know that. I wonder why it took so long for NY to legalize tattoos. (as you can tell, I don't have any.)
  • I think there was a law about hepatitis or some other disease that was on the books for years.
    I went to Jersey to get tattoos before the law changed.
  • holy cow -- i just did some research about that because it sounded so nuts. that's crazy!!

http://www.nyc24.org/2003/issue4/story4/page2.html
This discussion has been closed.