Support the PPW Bike Lane!
  • Some Park Slope residents are trying to get the PPW bike lane removed. Join a counterprotest, supporting the bike lane on Thurs. 10/21 at 8am at GAP!!
  • i love me some bike lane.
  • Thursday at 8 am? They must be expecting a lot of unemployed early risers to show up.
  • One way to show your support for the bike lanes is by speaking about them favorably in this survey: http://surveymonkey.com/ppwsurvey originally posted on Brad Lander's site here: http://bradlander.com/
  • Thanks! It would also be great to post this to the Prospect Hts. board, but I don't want to be spammy.
  • This bike lane has to be the most dangerous idea ever thought of in the history of Park Slope. Bikers are far more dangerous than cars, they want to be treated like cars, but have no desire to follow the rules of the road. Eventually, one of these bikers speeding down PPW is going to seriously injure someone and everyone supporting this horrendous idea will regret it. Cops should stand at a random intersection and start giving out tickets to bikers who blow thorough the red lights. Also, how appropriate that the support rally will be held on a weekday morning, so all the concerned citizens who work for a living are unable to show up.
  • Best 2nd post....EVER!
  • BrooklynEm wrote: How appropriate that the support rally will be held on a weekday morning, so all the concerned citizens who work for a living are unable to show up.

It's a counterprotest to a protest organized by opponents of the bike lane at 8:30am on the same day. Maybe you should bring it up with those "concerned citizens". The rest of your post isn't worthy of a reply.
  • BrooklynEm wrote: This bike lane has to be the most dangerous idea ever thought of in the history of Park Slope. Bikers are far more dangerous than cars, they want to be treated like cars, but have no desire to follow the rules of the road. Eventually, one of these bikers speeding down PPW is going to seriously injure someone and everyone supporting this horrendous idea will regret it. Cops should stand at a random intersection and start giving out tickets to bikers who blow thorough the red lights. Also, how appropriate that the support rally will be held on a weekday morning, so all the concerned citizens who work for a living are unable to show up.

This is NYC, everybody is gonna do whatever they can get away with.
  • whats the matter you all cant use the whole prospect park road???? give us motorists a break... i mean hell its bad enough most of you all dont follow the traffic rules to begin with..they need to get rid of this nazi mayor andhis commissioner of the DOT
  • This bike lane has to be the most dangerous idea ever thought of in the history of Park Slope.

I don't know, Blue Sky's muffins are pretty darn dangerous.

p.s. oh brother.
  • BCODS + 1 for the good times! =D>

I'm still nostalgiac for this classic from ya:

there has been a rash in the entire area the last few months but its not any kind of priority for the police
  • let's see... sometimes pedestrians get hit by cars, or bikes, or even baby strollers in crosswalks. sometimes they just fall over there because they have a shoe malfunction or for no particular reason at all. so, forget bike lanes; let's get rid of crosswalks! they're dangerous and cars have to go slow because of them! sometimes people cross when they don't even have the walk light... GASP! I doubt anyone here has ever done that though. that nazi of a mayor is so stupid to think that anyone should be able to cross the street without a car.

in other news, if you folks are that in love with driving everywhere, move to a suburb. move out west. you can drive for days without seeing a bike lane in wyoming. and you can drive your car nice and fast.

i do agree that bikers should stop at red lights. no argument there. ticket them if you wish. no argument there either. in the meantime, one suggestion that people can use to avoid getting hit by a bicycle is look both ways when crossing the street (or in this case, bike lane). i haven't seen the stats, but if you look where you're walking, i bet you're like 99.99 percent less likely to be hit compared to when you don't look where you're going.

if anyone is unsure how it works, let me provide a real-life example. I run in the park almost every day. that means i cross the prospect park bike lane almost every day on foot. so what i do is:

1: look for bikes
    2: if a bicycle is coming, i wait. if not, i proceed directly to step number 3
    3. cross the bike lane

thus far, i have done this with a 100% success ratio! there haven't even been any close calls, even at rush hour.

as for only the early-rising unemployed being available for a meeting of concerned citizens at 8:00... are we aware that not all jobs start at 9:00? or that many of us could come in 30-minutes late when we are involved in something about which we care?

believe me, i don't hate cars. my girlfriend and i have one. but this is new york. the city is not only for motorists; robert moses ultimately lost. life goes on with one less lane of automobile traffic on prospect park west.
  • We were yelled at the other day for picking up a jogger who fell unconscious on the east side of the street on PPW between, I think, 1st and 2nd streets. It was flush in the MIDDLE of the block and there were already school busses parked next to the imaginary parking lane on the left side of the street. There were many frantic people waving us down stating that "she isn't breathing." So we pulled into the bicycle lane and, unfortunately due to the size of the ambulance, had to enter the bike lane cautiously and slowly with our emergency lights and sirens engaged, block the entire bike lane for literally no more than 3 minutes. Fortunately she was breathing but she was unresponsive and extremely dehydrated with a slow heart rate. In that mere 180 seconds of picking up someone who was completely unresponsive and even with those approximately seven good samaritans who waved us down for the person standing next to us helping us with our equipment to the ambulance, a total of FIVE bicyclists and two people WALKING by shouted at us that "we were in the bike lane and it is illegal to be in the bike lane." Our emergency lights were on, our stretcher was out and we had this person on oxygen and were expediting her into the ambulance. One cyclist even had the audacity to get off of his bike, wait for us to put the jogger into the ambulance to yell at us as I was walking to the driver's seat to move the ambulance out of the bike lane, which I'm not even required to do but do so as a courtesy.
    When we block traffic for an incident in the middle of a block we customarily put the patient in the ambulance and while my partner or I renders initial care in the back of the ambulance, as a courtesy I or he gets into the driver's seat and pulls the ambulance up the block and puts it on a fire hydrant or a location where we can continue patient care without blocking traffic and before proceeding to the hospital.
    This is not the first time this has happened with cyclists either. I am not saying they are all bad but when I have been yelled at SEVERAL different times for similar incidents, you start to get annoyed at EVERY cyclist and think that no matter where you park the ambulance to help someone injured or sick that you won't win.
    While I feel like the PPW bike lane has caused SOME additional traffic, I admit it does look very nice and I have no problem with it. I just want everyone to remember it could be your wife, husband, friend, or child who is walking on the left side of it and they should have access to immediate care and not have to wait for an ambulance who has to look for legal parking or walk an entire city block with the stretcher to not inconvenience ten bicyclists in a potentially dire emergency.
  • What does the PPW bike lane have to do with the fact the majority of NYC'ers are assholes?
  • Why is it that when faced with anything impeding their progress, bicyclists seem to find STOPPING is to be used only as a last resort?
  • The pity of the bicycle lane made what was once a beautiful roadway and turned PPW into a parking lot. If auto safety is the issue, then either install road bumps or stagger the traffic lights. If the issue that bicyclists need a dedicated area to traverse safely, well there is a dedicated bicycle lane in the park (and ban all cars from the park). At the end of the day, it appears that this is another example of our imperial mayor dictating to CB6 to jump and instead of representing the residents of the community CB6's response has been "how high".
  • BrookSignal wrote: Why is it that when faced with anything impeding their progress, motorists seem to find STOPPING is to be used only as a last resort?

FTFY.
  • "BrooklynEm" wrote: This bike lane has to be the most dangerous idea ever thought of in the history of Park Slope. Bikers are far more dangerous than cars, they want to be treated like cars, but have no desire to follow the rules of the road. Eventually, one of these bikers speeding down PPW is going to seriously injure someone and everyone supporting this horrendous idea will regret it. Cops should stand at a random intersection and start giving out tickets to bikers who blow thorough the red lights. Also, how appropriate that the support rally will be held on a weekday morning, so all the concerned citizens who work for a living are unable to show up.

Bikers are more dangerous than cars? That's just silly.

If the city really wants to cash in they should start ticketing drivers for red lights, speeding etc.

As a reasonably responsible biker and driver, I hate the idiot bikers too, but they are a minority, and anyway getting them off the street and and away from the cars is a goood thing not a bad thing if you are driving.

And although I don't drive all that much I haven't noticed much change in PPW traffic.
  • EMTNYC:

what the people said to you RE: your recent stop is indeed ridiculous. there is an entirely unjustified sense of entitlement amongst many bike riders. but please know that some of us are not idiots who would bother you for doing such an important job.

none of us - whether we are driving a bicycle or a car - enjoy having our travels impeded. but we need to be a bit more realistic and responsible with how we manage ourselves in such situations.

thanks for what you do.
  • I think that the bike lanes on PPW and GAP are great ideas. They make riding a bike much safer and encourage people to get on their bikes and ride. Motorists, bikers, and pedestrians all dont want to have their mobility impeded. And if we all were more aware of the people (motorists, bikers and walkers) around us, and less concerned about only our own situation the world would be a better place. Try to remember the golden rule instead of "ME, Me, Me"
    Lets not blame one particular group for the worlds problems. We are all guilty . I'm sure everygroup can come up with stupid stories of how its the others guys fault. A pedestrian walked into me and my bike while I was stopped at a red light at an otherwise empty intersection on park avenue (no I was not in a crosswalk!) TRUE STORY!

If people behaved, drove, walked, rode responsibly we wouldnt have need to complexificate GAP and PPW with all these concrete barriers and separate lanes. We get what we deserve.

Thank you also EMTNYC for the job you do. People that have to deal with the public are well aware of the state of humanity and it is not pretty.
  • I use the bike lane a cyclist several days a week and I cross the lane on foot at least 4 times a day and I think it's working out very well. I occasionally drive on PPW and with averages speeds noticeably lower (traffic studies before and after the changes confirm a dramatic drop in speeds) make it easier to change lanes and I have notice no congestion at rush hour.

And like others have said, there are jerks all over. Sometimes they are on bikes or in cars or on foot. I would be all for more ticketing of cyclists and cars running lights (I've narrowly missed being run over twice recently when cars ran the red light INSIDE the park in the morning) and for god's sake, for double parking, especially in bike lanes.
  • not only should the bicyclists and bad motorists be ticketed but the kamakazie pedestrians as well.... the city could make enough money to block off more streets for pedestrian promenads
  • BCODSNPKSLOPE wrote: not only should the bicyclists and bad motorists be ticketed but the kamakazie pedestrians as well.... the city could make enough money to block off more streets for pedestrian promenads

A few years ago, I went to Singapore. As the saying goes, it was a fine city.

I loved it.

http://www.traveldir.org/articles/asia/singapore/destination_singapore_a_fine_city_for_all_the_right_reasons.html
  • It seems that PPW with the bike lane as it is is more suited for this neighborhood than the previous incarnation of PPW. Note that there are residences along one side of the road and a park alongside the other - totally smacks of a residential neighborhood. A four-lane drag strip hardly seemed appropriate for this area and should never have been there in the first place.

Therefore impeding car traffic is not collateral damage, but part of the purpose of creating that lane. Slow down, you move too fast through our neighborhood. Flatbush Ave is absolutely insane and incredibly dangerous - and PPW was nothing more than an extension of this.

Remember "share the road" is not some hippie, beatnik phrase like "make love, not war," it's actually the law. What better way of sharing the road than reducing the lanes and adding room for bikes? Cars are still allowed to drive there - and they're still allowed to drive through the park, which seems counter-intuitive to the concept of a park, but who am I to question Olmstead's motives.

It's hard to tell what portion of the people who want to go back to the drag race days of PPW actually live here. I bet most of them don't. Few people would do that to their own neighborhood. Still I also bet a lot of the cyclists who use the lane don't live here either but are also using it to pass through.

But if people want to make sure the lane isn't removed, the best way to do that is if we all learn to use it properly. No need to race down there for bikes either - no matter what you're going faster than you did when you had to use the promenade. Let pedestrians go by - it's not that hard. Look for the red lights and stop. Stop yelling at people every time someone's breaches the bike lane - it's gonna happen.
  • piano.... amen.
  • Commissioner Sadik-Khan, do the right thing and tear down those barriers!
  • Honestly, I cross that bike lane on foot many times every day and, as much as I get annoyed by a subset of cyclists, I really haven't had any problems. There isn't so much bike traffic that I have to stand around waiting to cross and most cyclists seem to notice pedestrians and accommodate them and pedestrians seem to also act in kind--I really expected there to be more problems with cyclists v. walkers, but so far everyone seems to share it pretty damn well.
  • If anything, the bike lane makes pedestrians and cyclists get along better. I remember when it first came in, my first thought was how happy pedestrians will be knowing that they won't have me and others riding on the promenade.

This is where separate but equal actually works and isn't offensive. Now the peds have their place, the cyclists have theirs. The only people not happy are the motorists, but judging by the way they honk, speed and yell all the time, I don't think they're ever happy anyway.
  • As a motorist, I hate the bike lane on PPW as much as anyone else does. However, I dont think it's the bikers that are the issue, at least not this time. It's the assholes that double park on PPW, in both lanes. The DOT needs to institute loading / unloading areas on each block to allow for deliveries and the discharge of passengers, and when they are not used or there is double parking, the driver should be fined.

Multiple good outcomes - less traffic jams due to double parking, revenue from ticketed drivers, and I dont have to deal with Lance Armstrong Light in his spandex.
  • I'm thrilled they put the bike lane in, but I have to admit they've done a crap job at implementing it. Everything they've done has been piecemeal as though no one's ever made one of these lanes before and they're going by trial and error.

Basically, they just painted some lines and said "have at it folks." And of course as soon as cyclists saw this - myself included - we went right for it. Just like if you put a shoebox in a room with a cat, the cat it will go straight for the shoe box and sit in it.

Then it occurred to someone to paint lanes and direction signs to show it was a two-way path. Then they added flashing yellow lights with no explanation. And now every day there's a new sign. Maybe it will occur to someone to put up stop lights for the bikes like there are on the West Side Hwy path. Maybe they'll also put in some designated loading areas. Hopefully, they'll eventually get this thing right.

I hope they keep making more of these lanes, but they have to do a better job and make sure everything is in place before it's opened. Otherwise cyclists will continue to take the brunt of the anger over this when all we're doing is using what the city is providing.
  • Niner wrote: As a motorist, I hate the bike lane on PPW as much as anyone else does. However, I dont think it's the bikers that are the issue, at least not this time. It's the assholes that double park on PPW, in both lanes. The DOT needs to institute loading / unloading areas on each block to allow for deliveries and the discharge of passengers, and when they are not used or there is double parking, the driver should be fined.

Multiple good outcomes - less traffic jams due to double parking, revenue from ticketed drivers, and I dont have to deal with Lance Armstrong Light in his spandex.

EXACTLY!!! Double parking is the problem. But why do you hate the bike lane?
  • BklynSloper75 wrote: The pity of the bicycle lane made what was once a beautiful roadway and turned PPW into a parking lot. If auto safety is the issue, then either install road bumps or stagger the traffic lights. If the issue that bicyclists need a dedicated area to traverse safely, well there is a dedicated bicycle lane in the park (and ban all cars from the park). At the end of the day, it appears that this is another example of our imperial mayor dictating to CB6 to jump and instead of representing the residents of the community CB6's response has been "how high".

I'm not a fan of the appearance of the new configuration of PPW but it is hard to say that it is much worse than it was previously. A wide swath of asphalt is not aesthetically pleasing either.

In addition to the lane in the park, even if all cars were banned, there needs to be a two way lane that is not a workout to use. i.e. not as hilly as the park.

The request of the bike lane came from the community. I would be surprised if anything pertaining to this bike lane ever crossed Bloomberg's desk.
  • BrooklynEm wrote: Bikers are far more dangerous than cars.

I don't know how many people in this country are killed yearly by bicyclists, but it can't begin to approach the number of auto deaths, which averages 40,000 per year.
  • Most (not all) NYC bikers have to be some of the most obnoxious people on the planet. I had to double park the other day in a bike lane to drop off my very pregnant wife and we were screamed at by 2 bikers who wanted to know why we were in the bike lane. I then watched as they went right through the red light on the corner. Since the economy is so bad and the city needs money so badly, I can't understand why the police don't start aggressively ticketing law breaking bike riders. The reason they don't is because the bikers would probably organize a critical mass rally which would block ambulances and fire trucks from responding to emergencies. Get rid of the PPW bike lane!!!!
  • First, thank you for not including me as an obnoxious person just because I ride a bike. Second, congratulations for having a very pregnant wife.

But that does not entitle you to block the bike lane, You are endangering the lives of the bikers as well as the car driver who may have to swerve to avoid them

Bike lanes are not double parking lanes. You could have moved a foot or two into the road.
  • Some side streets do not have any room to pull over without blocking part of the bike lane.
  • BrooklynEm wrote: Some side streets do not have any room to pull over without blocking part of the bike lane.

Like 3rd St. between 5th and 6th Ave......

yea, just block the car lane.
  • I think it's unreasonable - and certainly unrealistic - to expect the bike lanes to be clear 100% of the time. There is often a car in a bike lane, but usually it's temporary.

For instance, when someone moves into an apartment on 9th street. There's no place for a moving van to park without blocking a bike lane. Perhaps they could block the car lanes and then move boxes while crossing in front of traffic. But it still would impede bike traffic when the movers carry boxes over the bike lane to get to the sidewalk from the middle of the street, and it would be incredibly dangerous for everyone.

Even us cyclists use moving vans when we move. Some of us even knock up women whom we have to help walk. So let's cut people a little slack. It's just something to be expected, and it's still better than it was before the bike lanes.

As for the yelling and obnoxiousness of cyclists, it's not because they're cyclists, but because they live here. Most people here are pretty selfish and obnoxious, whether they're behind the wheel or behind the handlebars or on foot. Only New Yorkers invented the bellow "Hey, I'm walking here!"

People here need to stop yelling at strangers. I know cyclists often do this too. I once biked by a little girl in the bike lane who clearly experienced this because as I passed her she pleaded a pre-emptive "please don't yell at me."
  • This is how it is supposed to look.

http://gothamist.com/2009/12/17/photographic_evidence_double_parked.php

yea, I know that is a ASS parking scenario but the Bike Lane is not a loading zone.
  • Egads, I don't like that at all. I much prefer the way the PPW bike lane is structured with cars on one side and pretty trees on the other. I always try to stay clear of cars and drive on the least busy roads, the last thing I want to be is sandwiched on either sides by cars.

I know they are parked, but to me that photo shows a terrifying gauntlet of car doors that can swing open at any moment. That is unless the drivers of those cars are all willing to climb over and enter and exit out of the passenger side every time. And that's just one side. On the other, the passengers would have to climb over and exit and enter through the driver's side. And I highly doubt that they do that.

But once someone invents the hover bike - and God willing they will - this will all be moot.
  • If you have to drop someone off or unload something from your car, you have no choice but to block the bike lane. If I double park on the other side of the street, then cars passing me will have to drive in the bike lane. The photo above is from a day when there was alternate side parking, so the right side of the street is completely clear for cars. It's not a typical situation.
  • BrooklynEm wrote: Most (not all) NYC bikers have to be some of the most obnoxious people on the planet. I had to double park the other day in a bike lane to drop off my very pregnant wife and we were screamed at by 2 bikers who wanted to know why we were in the bike lane. I then watched as they went right through the red light on the corner. Since the economy is so bad and the city needs money so badly, I can't understand why the police don't start aggressively ticketing law breaking bike riders. The reason they don't is because the bikers would probably organize a critical mass rally which would block ambulances and fire trucks from responding to emergencies. Get rid of the PPW bike lane!!!!

If you ask me, the police should've ticketed your whiny ass for parking in the bike lane.

The obvious solution to this "problem" is that portions of the parking lane should be designated as short term loading zones, (or have they done this already?).
  • The redesign of PPW is outstanding and has made the street work safer and better for everyone who wants to use it. Pedestrians now have a sidewalk free of bikes and no longer have to cross a three-lane expressway to get to the park. Cyclists now have the ability to bike safely on a street that was previously completely unusable. Motorists still have two lanes, which is more than enough roadway capacity for the number of cars that use the street.

As for all the bitching and moaning about cyclists, let's get real. No demographic group in Brooklyn is more selfish, entitled and plain old destructive to our neighborhoods than Brooklyn's horn-honking, exhaust-spewing, space-hogging, gas-guzzling, planet-cooking motorists.

End of story.
  • As a non-cycling occasional motorist, I do not understand the bike lane hysteria. At all.

In my view, anything that forces drivers to obey rather than exceed the speed limit in an area where most people get around on foot is a positive development. I sympathize with those who rail against cyclists who refuse to obey traffic laws, but let's not sit here and pretend that a) motorists never run red lights (of course, I'm not talking about *you*. *You* would never do that.) and b) that scofflaw cyclists pose a larger threat than motorists. That's ludicrous. If you're a driver and you sincerely believe that, shame on you.

Also silly is the idea that motorists are somehow a persecuted class under Bloomberg. Speeding drivers who mow down cyclists and pedestrians always get off scot-free unless they're drunk or high. That's a confounding level of privilege for people who are supposedly getting the short end of the stick.

The bike lane has reduced speeds and made life safer. It boggles the mind that some people do not see this as a win.
  • I'm going to stand in the bike lane at a PPW intersection this weekend with a stop sign. When the light turns red, I am going to hold up a stop sign so the bikes stop. I will not be doing this for myself, I will be doing it to save a crossing stroller from being struck by a cyclist who feels that traffic laws are not important enough to be obeyed. I feel bad for the normal, friendly cyclists because these new extremist Brooklyn hipster cyclists are giving a black eye to the entire bike riding community.
  • No you're not.
  • BrooklynEm wrote: I'm going to stand in the bike lane at a PPW intersection this weekend with a stop sign. When the light turns red, I am going to hold up a stop sign so the bikes stop. I will not be doing this for myself, I will be doing it to save a crossing stroller from being struck by a cyclist who feels that traffic laws are not important enough to be obeyed. I feel bad for the normal, friendly cyclists because these new extremist Brooklyn hipster cyclists are giving a black eye to the entire bike riding community.

you should not because the bike lane has blinking yellow lights that indicate that bikers should yield to pedestrians, not stop.
  • Subject: The Bike Lane is a Good Thing

1.Fewer cars mean less noise.
    2.Less Air Pollution.
    3.Less vibration harming the buildings.
    4.Possibility for trees in the pedestrian islands.
    5.Easier to cross PPW for elderly, disabled, older dogs, toddlers etc. because 2 lanes, then an island to rest in and then cross the bike lane.
    6.Walking along the park is not so dangerous now that the bikes no longer ride on the sidewalk.
    7.Possibly less vandalism for parked cars along the park because more bikers are there to see what goes on at night.
    8.I like the look of the street better. It doesn't look like a speedway any longer.
    9.It is nice to see people enjoying the bike lane rather than looking at another lane of traffic.
  • Subject: can't blow through lights on PPW cause there are none

I rode the PPW lane the other day and the only lights I saw were flashing yellow lights at pedestrian crossings. I slowed down in case there were any peds to yield to. I am a safe driver and a safe cyclist, don't speed, yield to peds, etc. I resent it when people characterize all cyclists as "blowing through'" lights. That's just a minority of jerks. Most cyclists I know care very much about the safety of pedestrians.

BrooklynEm wrote: This bike lane has to be the most dangerous idea ever thought of in the history of Park Slope. Bikers are far more dangerous than cars, they want to be treated like cars, but have no desire to follow the rules of the road. Eventually, one of these bikers speeding down PPW is going to seriously injure someone and everyone supporting this horrendous idea will regret it. Cops should stand at a random intersection and start giving out tickets to bikers who blow thorough the red lights. Also, how appropriate that the support rally will be held on a weekday morning, so all the concerned citizens who work for a living are unable to show up.
  • BrooklynEm wrote: I'm going to stand in the bike lane at a PPW intersection this weekend with a stop sign. When the light turns red, I am going to hold up a stop sign so the bikes stop. I will not be doing this for myself, I will be doing it to save a crossing stroller from being struck by a cyclist who feels that traffic laws are not important enough to be obeyed. I feel bad for the normal, friendly cyclists because these new extremist Brooklyn hipster cyclists are giving a black eye to the entire bike riding community.

I agree entirely about the part that the more extreme bicyclists are giving the rest of us a bad name. And I hate to say it, but it is more than just a small minority who are breaking the rules. The way bikes are ridden in this community needs to be addressed.

But the first part of your statement is just silly. First, you are not actually going to do any of that. Second... I just want to remind people that it is entirely possible to look both ways before crossing a bike lane, even with a baby stroller. Seriously. Try it. It will work.

Bikers absolutely should be stopping and yielding when they are required to do so. But if I were pushing a baby stroller around town, I would never assume that I should enter a crosswalk the very second that the walk light turns on. We all know that a car can run a red light, so we take precautions and look both ways. Is it unreasonable to suggest that we could also be cautious while crossing a bike lane (even if we shouldn't have to)?

The uproar over this bike lane is absurd.
  • BklynSloper75 wrote: Commissioner Sadik-Khan, do the right thing and tear down those barriers!

Please, she's the genius who agrees with the govt to change street signs in nyc to the tune of 27.6 million. Her idiotic argument, " the new signs will help showcase the kinder, gentler New York and the best ""On the Internet, writing in all caps means you are shouting," she said. "Our new signs can quiet down, as well."

Bloomberg and his idiot minions need to go asap.
  • eggcream wrote: [quote=BklynSloper75]Commissioner Sadik-Khan, do the right thing and tear down those barriers!

Please, she's the genius who agrees with the govt to change street signs in nyc to the tune of 27.6 million. Her idiotic argument, " the new signs will help showcase the kinder, gentler New York and the best ""On the Internet, writing in all caps means you are shouting," she said. "Our new signs can quiet down, as well."

Bloomberg and his idiot minions need to go asap.

That article was completely misinformed. Signs are already replaced on a 10 year rotating cycle with federal money. They are just replacing them with different type face. It does not cost anything extra.
  • ringrunner wrote: [quote=BrooklynEm]Some side streets do not have any room to pull over without blocking part of the bike lane.

Like 3rd St. between 5th and 6th Ave......

yea, just block the car lane.

you're allowed to stop and discharge a passenger at a fire hydrant, during daylight hours, if the driver remains behind the wheel.

do that instead of double parking anywhere.
  • Subject: rediculous

Since when did park slope become 43nd and Broadway? Whats next blocking off the outer park entirely and set tables out for tanning? This is getting way out of control. What is the purpose of a bike lane OUTSIDE of the park when driving is already restricted inside? Just the other day an ambulance was trying to get to Methodist Hospital via the park as i've seen for many years. Yet this time it took forever to get there with there only being 2 lanes of traffic allowed. What if that was your mother, wife or another loved one in there and didn't make it in time because pedestrians wanted their bike lane that already exists inside the ENTIRE PARK! I have lived here for over 40 years and this just adds to what I do not like what park slope is becoming. For those of us who still work for a living and use the outer park to drop off and pick up our kids from school in a timely manner the redundant outer bike lane is unnecessary. If you don't agree then move back to the city where you don't have to concern yourself with knowing your neighbors names or care about anyone but yourselves.
  • I'm going to walk into the middle of the road with a stroller with ten babies in it and when the light turns yellow I'm going to hold up a stop sign to keep drivers from beating the light and running me and my ten babies over. Then everyone will see the error of their ways and behave themselves, because that's how things work in real life.
  • Actually, efforts to ban cars from prospect park have repeatedly failed. Maybe we could trade: no cars in the park for ________
  • I was not a fan of the Bike Lane when it first went in, but have changed my mind. Especially since I just saw blowhard Marty Markowitz on NY1 ranting against the lane, I definitely know I'm FOR it now.
  • Yes, let's eliminate all the bike lanes, encourage even more cars on the road (more noise, pollution, etc.), more unsafe biking for adults and kids, and help grow even fatter Americans. That's exactly what NYC needs.
  • It’s evident from some of these comments that a lot of people are ignorant of the fact that bicycles are legally considered part of traffic like cars. There’s a new sign on the PPW bike path that reminds people that bicycles must obey the traffic laws just like cars. It also means bicycles are entitled to use the road just as much as a car is.

It’s also evident from some of these comments that a lot of people are ignorant of what a park is, and it’s intended purpose. The park is not a thoroughfare for cars OR bicycles. Cyclists are often using their bicycles to commute to work, run errands, etc. Just like people who drive cars. That’s why it’s necessary to give cyclists safe access to the roads. Telling cyclists to use the park instead of a designated is a display of this ignorance. It’s a one-way loop so it’s really only useful if you happen to be going that direction. Someone who wants to go to GAP from the south slope would have to ride against traffic.

But it doesn’t really matter. People can and will whine about anything in this town. There’s no way this bike lane is going anywhere.
  • Subject: Re: rediculous

BornintheSlopenotanimport wrote: If you don't agree then move back to the city where you don't have to concern yourself with knowing your neighbors names or care about anyone but yourselves.

ooo! new twist on an old theme!

well done.

BornintheSlopenotanimport wrote: Just the other day an ambulance was trying to get to Methodist Hospital via the park as i've seen for many years. Yet this time it took forever to get there with there only being 2 lanes of traffic allowed. What if that was your mother, wife or another loved one in there and didn't make it in time because pedestrians wanted their bike lane that already exists inside the ENTIRE PARK!

What if it was ME in that ambulance? Oh wait, i DID take that exact same ambulance route a few months ago after I was hit by an unlicensed livery cab driving in the bike lane on Vanderbilt. I can report that getting hit by a fast moving vehicle (and the ensuing surgery to pin my bones back together) was very unpleasant, but the ambulance ride was pleasant and essentially traffic free! So I'll take physically separated bike lanes over "potential" traffic any day.

[quote="BornintheSlopenotanimport"]Just the other day an ambulance was trying to get to Methodist Hospital via the park as i've seen for many years. Yet this time it took forever to get there with there only being 2 lanes of traffic allowed. What if that was your mother, wife or another loved one in there and didn't make it in time because pedestrians wanted their bike lane that already exists inside the ENTIRE PARK!

the bike lane in the park only goes one way and it is for recreational use. the bike lane on prospect park west is for those of us who use bikes as transportation.

and while nobody loves the idea of themselves, their feeble little grandma, or their teary-eyed youngster dying in traffic en route to the hospital... come on. that argument is ridiculous. this is new york city. the reality is that ambulances get stuck behind cars all the time. there is no get-there-automatic lane and there wasn't even when PPW had three lanes. if getting people to the hospital was the issue at hand here, we would have taken out two lanes of prospect park west and built a trauma unit.
  • We will loop the park when we respond to jobs in Park Slope when we are coming from the Kings County Hospital area. We enter on Parkide/Ocean and loop it to PPW/3 St. We always proceed with caution and have our lights on. This saves about five minutes of response time as opposed to taking Flatbush or Eastern PW. When the park is closed to vehicles during whatever times it is during the day, the cyclists ride freely in the car lanes, which is perfectly understandable and acceptable. You are right Aquamann: this is NYC and ambulances get stuck behind cars all the time and I'm okay with that. What I am not okay with is being stuck behind a bicyclist when going to an emergency when they are much more able to slow down, pull over, move to the side, etc. There are times when it is a group of cyclists or just ONE cyclist in Prospect Park we are driving behind and they physically do a head turn to look at us coming with emergency lights on and then proceed not to move. Unfortunately, if this first indication of our presence is ignored (the emergency lights), we now have to be fucking assholes and hit the siren a few times on a sunny day in Prospect Park when everyone is trying to enjoy themselves by walking, jogging, running, sitting, eating in the park. I don't like doing that because now we look like dickheads and it sparks the whole "there are no vehicles allowed in the park" debate. There ARE emergency vehicles allowed in the park 24 hours a day and no one would ever complain if people would just yield to us when we went by. We would never have to use the siren and no one would ever even notice us.
    (Also on a side note the NYS VTL states that when an ambulance's emergency lights are on the siren has to be FULLY ENGAGED. No whoop-whoop through the intersection like a lot of us do, but fully wailing. That's the reason it appears that an ambulance has its siren wailing for no reason going down 7th Ave when there are no cars in front of it. If you think it is annoying to you for the twenty seconds we go by imagine how annoying it is for us to go from Brownsville to Park Slope on a 15 minute response with it fully wailing. That's why I don't do it all the time, but technically we can get in trouble for it.)
    Back to the bicyclists in the park. I'm not saying it happens VERY often but it happens enough that it is an irritant to me. There are plenty of courteous cyclists who will hear the diesel engine coming up behind them, see that it is us, and move over immediately and then give us a smile when we go by and we always wave thank you to them because we generally appreciate when people help us out. I
  • EMTNYC wrote: Back to the bicyclists in the park. I'm not saying it happens VERY often but it happens enough that it is an irritant to me. There are plenty of courteous cyclists who will hear the diesel engine coming up behind them, see that it is us, and move over immediately and then give us a smile when we go by and we always wave thank you to them because we generally appreciate when people help us out. I

So what's the difference between rude bicyclists and rude drivers in this case? Why are you singling out bicyclists?

Furthermore, you're not being very sensitive to the perspective of bicyclists IN THE PARK. When the loop is closed to traffic, you're in one of the few spots in NYC where you can ride without some jerk driver breathing down your neck.

As a result, you're not expecting someone in a truck to be riding on your ass. Especially if you're trying to ride up the hill on the north side, when your focus is on "OH GOD THIS HILL WILL IT EVER END". Noone knows you're an ambulance. You could be NYPD, Parks department, someone who ignored the signs and is breaking the law, anything else. How is a rider supposed to know it's an emergency?

You feel rude because you're blipping your siren? That's on you. I don't think anyone in their right mind would begrudge an ambulance going through the park, announcing its' presence.

I still don't understand why you have an axe to grind with bicyclists, when it's drivers and car traffic that force you to take the longer park route, and their reckless behavior that likely leads to far more of your calls on a regular basis.
  • swngnmonk wrote:

As a result, you're not expecting someone in a truck to be riding on your ass. Especially if you're trying to ride up the hill on the north side, when your focus is on "OH GOD THIS HILL WILL IT EVER END".

Hahaha...that's how I feel on that hill. Oh, and not sure if it's just my bad hearing (part of why I love bike lanes over shared lanes), but I usually can't hear cars behind me without a horn blow, especially on a windy day.
  • EMTNYC wrote: When the park is closed to vehicles during whatever times it is during the day, the cyclists ride freely in the car lanes, which is perfectly understandable and acceptable.

Actually, cyclists have no choice but to ride in the car lanes of the park road when it’s closed to cars, because joggers and pedestrians take up both the biking and the pedestrian lanes. Joggers and pedestrians do this even when it is open to car traffic. I have no idea why they think that if forced to make a last-second decision I’m going to opt to pull in front of a speeding car (or ambulance) rather than run into them. I’m not.

I think someone asked why stopping is the last resort for cyclists, and the reason is something called Newton’s Law. For those unfamiliar with a bicycle, they don’t have anti-lock braking systems or airbags, or even seat belts. So even if we can stop the bike, we can’t stop ourselves from flying over the handlebars and hitting whatever we were trying not to hit.

Perhaps they could create a fire/emergency lane on the road in the park and keep it clear when it's closed to cars. Otherwise I don't think emergency vehicles should be speeding through the park road when it's closed to traffic - particularly on the weekends. There are people everywhere on that road walking, biking, rollerblading, etc. in every direction. There's that one turn as it goes uphill between 3rd street and 9th in the park where there's always a baby stroller around the blindside of the curve.

Incidentally, as a cyclist I think other cyclists should know that the park is also not their personal velodrome, no matter how expensive your bike is or how tight your spandex is. I can ride my bike very fast too, and it's fun to do so. But not when it's at the expense of others.
  • People should move aside for a commercial vehicle with lights flashing. If necessary a few bursts of the siren when driving in the park.

Perhaps they should put cow catchers on the front of ambulances to clear indignant cyclists out of the way.

BornintheSlopenotanimport wrote: Since when did park slope become 43nd and Broadway? Whats next blocking off the outer park entirely and set tables out for tanning? This is getting way out of control. What is the purpose of a bike lane OUTSIDE of the park when driving is already restricted inside? Just the other day an ambulance was trying to get to Methodist Hospital via the park as i've seen for many years. Yet this time it took forever to get there with there only being 2 lanes of traffic allowed. What if that was your mother, wife or another loved one in there and didn't make it in time because pedestrians wanted their bike lane that already exists inside the ENTIRE PARK! I have lived here for over 40 years and this just adds to what I do not like what park slope is becoming. For those of us who still work for a living and use the outer park to drop off and pick up our kids from school in a timely manner the redundant outer bike lane is unnecessary. If you don't agree then move back to the city where you don't have to concern yourself with knowing your neighbors names or care about anyone but yourselves.

Most of your points have already been refuted, but I have to point out one more thing.
    Why not blame the entitled motorists ILLEGALLY double-parking along PPW for the delay? 2 lanes of traffic should be plenty for that stretch. It's the inconsiderate motorists turning it into 1 lane that causes problems.

On streets with unprotected bike lanes, double parkers typically occupy the bike lane. Now on PPW, for once the double parkers have to occupy a lane reserved for cars. Funny how this essential justice evokes such outrage.
  • ^^^^like^^^^
  • ^^^^like^^^^
  • There is something wrong with people who feel the need to emphasize that they were born in Park Slope or have lived here for a million years. Guess what? No one gives a crap! These people sound like the inbred rednecks of the deep South who have “America, love it or leave” bumper stickers on their pickups or the border patrol militia idiots in Arizona. I’ve been in the Slope for over a decade, but I could have moved here 5 minutes ago for all it matters to anyone. The second I moved into Park Slope this was MY neighborhood.

So whine, whine, whine about the imports and the new blood in the Slope who are ruining it and turning it into a cesspool of consideration, cooperation, innovation and education. This neighborhood is infinitely better than it was 11 years ago when I moved in. No question about it whatsoever. And if we’re running the Neanderthal’s out of MY neighborhood, then I say good riddance you won’t be missed.
  • I for one look forward to reading many, many more knee-jerk rants to the tune of "you think bikes are bad? what about cars?" not to be outdone by "you think cars are bad? what about bikes?" There's nothing more edifying or persuasive in a debate than the acknowledgement that one may be wrong, but we're not as wrong as the other, stupid side! yall sound like a bunch of mean, selfish assfaces with first world problems. and who in their right mind verbally attacks an ambulance driver who is trying to fucking save lives, for slightly inconveniencing them in order to save precious minutes during a drive to the hospital? I think we've all forgotten that for better or worse we live in an actual community, a highly populous city neighborhood in which it's just not possible to have everything we want. Sometimes drivers have to double park to unload groceries, sometimes bikers are going to have to get on the sidewalk when the conditions of city traffic make the street too dangerous, sometimes people with strollers walk slowly. It's just life in a crowded place, and if you hyperventilate every time your drive or your walk or your ride is less than ideal, it WILL take a toll on your health.
  • It's just life in a crowded place, and if you hyperventilate every time your drive or your walk or your ride is less than ideal, it WILL take a toll on your health.

Good point, if the issue is rudeness or sub-ideal commutes. However sometimes cars get run over by bikes and that's the real issue here.
  • Seriously, 5 news trucks?
  • swngnmonk wrote: [quote=EMTNYC]Back to the bicyclists in the park. I'm not saying it happens VERY often but it happens enough that it is an irritant to me. There are plenty of courteous cyclists who will hear the diesel engine coming up behind them, see that it is us, and move over immediately and then give us a smile when we go by and we always wave thank you to them because we generally appreciate when people help us out. I

So what's the difference between rude bicyclists and rude drivers in this case? Why are you singling out bicyclists?

Furthermore, you're not being very sensitive to the perspective of bicyclists IN THE PARK. When the loop is closed to traffic, you're in one of the few spots in NYC where you can ride without some jerk driver breathing down your neck.

As a result, you're not expecting someone in a truck to be riding on your ass. Especially if you're trying to ride up the hill on the north side, when your focus is on "OH GOD THIS HILL WILL IT EVER END". Noone knows you're an ambulance. You could be NYPD, Parks department, someone who ignored the signs and is breaking the law, anything else. How is a rider supposed to know it's an emergency?

You feel rude because you're blipping your siren? That's on you. I don't think anyone in their right mind would begrudge an ambulance going through the park, announcing its' presence.

I still don't understand why you have an axe to grind with bicyclists, when it's drivers and car traffic that force you to take the longer park route, and their reckless behavior that likely leads to far more of your calls on a regular basis.

I think you misunderstood me. I have absolutely no axe to grind with bicyclists and I feel that if there were more cyclists and fewer cars, the city would be a much nicer place. As I said in my previous post I also have no problem with bicyclists riding in Prospect Park on the loop. I encourage it and I don't give a shit if they are in the designated bike lane or in the two car lanes, it makes no difference to me. The issue for me is that SOME--certainly not most and not all--cyclists see us coming and intentionally don't move because maybe they feel like we are invading their territory by being in Prospect Park. Those are the cyclists I have a problem with. Guess what? Cars don't stop for us either so don't think I am some pro-vehicle person. I should also elaborate on my previous statement of feeling like a dickhead for hitting the siren in the park. The bottom line is that I shouldn't have to use the siren in the park at all. When a bicyclist has turned around and sees us with our emergency lights on (that's how they know it is an emergency, to answer that question) and fails to move just to be an asshole, it becomes necessary. You stated: "I don't think anyone in their right mind would begrudge an ambulance going through the park, announcing its' presence." You are very wrong. We are given dirty looks and literally YELLED at for using our sirens to get to an emergency. Do I "care"? Not really. Do I feel like getting yelled at by 30 different people during my eight hour shift? No. So I make a concerted effort to drive respectfully and as quietly as I possibly can to avoid being yelled at for doing my job. I hope this clears up your concerns about me having an "axe to grind" with bicyclists. Perhaps my first post was slightly ambiguous and vague and for that I apologize. Again I really have no problems with cyclists but just with the few who don't care about anyone but themselves. There are a thousand times more of those discourteous people behind the wheel of a vehicle and not holding the handle bars of a bicycle so trust me when I say you got the wrong idea from my post and perhaps that was my fault.
  • I can't believe this argument is still going on.

Has nobody here read "Christine" by noted historical writer Stephen King? Cars will kill you! He found so much research he also made the documentary, "Maximum Overdrive". Sure, Emilio Estevez was able to survive the deadly automobiles, but there's no doubt that the trucks were able to kill his once promising acting career.

Also, the Goonies (good guys) rode bikes. The Empire (bad guys) drove Star Destroyers, which are, um, obvious metaphors for cars.

This should end any debate. You're welcome.

Bikes rule, cars drool!

On a side note, I can't believe I drank that whole bottle of cough syrup this morning.
  • The cough syrup seems to have benefitted us all
  • @ EMT, I'd just blare the siren. It benefits you by warning people that you're approaching and need a clear path. Ambulances and fire trucks do it everywhere else in this great land, even the sticks where nobody lives, so why not do it here when it's justified?
  • anthonycm wrote: Also, the Goonies (good guys) rode bikes. The Empire (bad guys) drove Star Destroyers, which are, um, obvious metaphors for cars.

This should end any debate. You're welcome.

it's all so clear now! thank you. i guess we're done here.
  • I can report that the friendly counterprotesters vastly outnumbered bike lane opponents, as expected. Logic prevails.

• Weren't most of the anti-bike lane protesters elderly? I imagine they're protesting because they have a legitimate fear, not because they want to vote for Sarah Pailin. In fact, I believe a lot of the same people want the cars off the road as anyone else. But in a responsible manner. You should speak to them, point out the benefits of the lane, and tell them what you will do to make the bike lane even safer.
  • I spoke to a few about their fear. They are just stuck on generalizations that biker are reckless and nasty.
  • the anti-bike rally-ers had signs like "Seniors for Safer Streets", which is mindboggling to me. The data overwhelmingly shows how much safer the redesign has made the street.

Their main complaint seems to be that they now have to look both ways when crossing the street? That they can't just step off the curb in the middle of the block without looking?

Any reasonable person would take both of those alternatives to crossing a 3 lane speedway and having to deal with bikes riding on the promenade sidewalk. How do you reason with that?
  • I'll say this as Devil's Advocate: A lot of people, when reaching their senior and very senior years can get paranoid. Peripheral vision starts to deteriorate, reflexes slow down and sometimes fear of the outside world plays in. So I would say, as silly as this sounds, looking both ways at an age where all of this is happening at once, can be quite daunting.
  • Piano wrote: The second I moved into Park Slope this was MY neighborhood.

Wrong. As much as you would like it to be, you will never be classified as a New Yorker. You can try clicking your ruby slippers three times, but it ain't gonna happen. You are either an Iowan, Ohioan or wherever you came from. You moved during the end of the Giuliani era, how unique. :roll:

I don't care either way on the PPW debacle. It was fine before, and it is fine now.
  • Wrong. Retag, you are too late, I already deemed Piano a NY'r when he showed me his Metrocard.

We celebrated by going out to my favorite pizza place for lunch (its prepared by spanish guys), then he took me to his favorite taco place for dinner (its prepared by chinese guys).

.....no one owns New York. The Lower East Side is my favorite example.
  • New York has never been about those who have been there the longest. New York is about the present; who is here now; who will be here tomorrow.

at some point we will all be overwhelmed by the next wave. but that doesn't mean that the next wave isn't New York.
  • Oh no! A complete stranger tells me I'm not a New Yorker. What do I do, what do I do? And the rolling eyes are out too? Oh, that means they're right and I'm wrong, doesn't it? That’s a cool New Yorker thing to do, huh? Emoticons, they nail me every time.

Ugh, I knew I could never try to fit in and be cool. I'm crushed. Devastated. My world is shaken to it's very core. I don't know if I even exist any more. Do I? Please, anonymous stranger who has obviously lived here forever and knows everything (because they say so and who would say that which is not true?) what should I do? Just please no more withering posts. My psyche is too fragile.

Wow, how fantastically cheesy can people be? Someone admits to having absolutely no opinion on the topic subject, but um, what, patrols the chat boards of New York waving a wand and determining who’s a New Yorker and who’s not? Is that what makes one a New Yorker – pettiness and massive insecurity? Then I guess I’m not a New Yorker.

But someone with moderate reading comprehension skills would have noticed I never said I was a New Yorker in the first place. In fact, I don’t ever want to be a called a New Yorker. Brooklynite maybe. Either way, this is
    is still MY neighborhood so pbbbtttt! And all the emoticons and whiny posts in the world won’t change that.
  • i like the piano.
  • It's kinda a self-correcting problem. The folks who are most bitter about changes in the neighborhood from the way it used to be when their parents were born here are the most likely to find rising resale prices irresistible... And thus to leave the neighborhood. They also have the least keeping them here... Just memories of what is no more.

• So the pro bike lane people protested the protest by blocking the bike lane? I don't understand. What happened to the people who used that to get to work this morning? I assumed the protests would be where the farmer market is. Is it even legal to protest in the bike lane - wouldn't that be the same as if they protested in the middle of Flatbush or PPW? And it's clear from the photo that the southbound traffic isn't moving. It's nice to see so many people supporting the lane, but it just seems odd to me.
  • Yea we blocked the bike lane a little, but the cops kept things moving.

But, the auto tragic was not moving because there was a rally going on.
  • Was anyone selling t-shirts at the protest or counter protest? They are usually the smartest ones.
  • No sales.

Lots of nice homemade signs.

TA had free coffee and was giving away sweet sounding bike bells.
  • Next time I'll come and sell things to the old people.
  • i love old people.
  • Aquamann wrote: i love old people.

Yummmmmm. Soylent Green
  • BrooklynEm wrote: This bike lane has to be the most dangerous idea ever thought of in the history of Park Slope.

In the last few months, a pedestrian was struck and is now brain-dead in an accident right outside my window. Another woman was killed about a block away from me. In both cases, cars were responsible for the carnage.

I really don't appreciate BrooklynEm's over-the-top rhetoric when there are some really dangerous things happening.

For the record, I'm a big supporter of the bike lane, and I brought my 2 year-old to the protest this morning. But I agree with both sides that we should improve safety. Bikers should follow the laws... and so should cars.
  • It's not hard to figure out why the anti- bike lane people were outnumbered at the protest. THEY HAVE JOBS and can't spend a weekday morning holding signs up at a rally.