GAH! horrible restaurant inspections for my favs.. so where do you eat? — Brooklynian

GAH! horrible restaurant inspections for my favs.. so where do you eat?

Due to the many hospital layoffs I was un-employed for a while and stopped being able to enjoy my favorite past time: Eating out.

Now that I am gainfully employed again *keeps fingers crossed* I wanted to start eating out again. Now I just found out that two of my favorite haunts: Lot 2 and Eurotrip haven't done too well in their inspections. Lot 2 has enough violations to warrant a C grade (they have 45) and Eurotrip my other favorite nearby has 21 violations (including mice).

So my question is twofold:

1) How much stock do you put in these ratings?

2) Where do you Sunset Park/ Greenwood Heights people eat (closeby) without worrying about getting sick the next day?

I hate to travel too far when I eat my Friday night dinner.

Comments

• mice are everywhere. they're in your walls and under your cupboards. you cook dinner in your place all the time (presumably) and think nothing of it.

• Nope. No mice. My cats were pretty good mousers when I lived in my old Kensington apartment. Since I have moved to where I live now (and its been 4 years) they haven't left me a single "present". Although they do leave their toy stuffed mouse "present" in my bathtub too often 0_o

• Lucky you :) Just trying to make the point that, in the absence of other issues, a mouse is probably not a reason to stop going to your favorite haunt.

Also, mouse poop is actually quite rich in nutrients.

• Okay. I would have taken your advice; " mouse is probably not a reason to stop going to your favorite haunt."

If you didn't add: "Also, mouse poop is actually quite rich in nutrients".

yikes!!! Laughing at your joke!

Why doesn't the health department know about these benefits?

• The only difference between the new letter grades and the long standing DOH point-violations is now you see a sign on the door. Those places still had violations in the past (you would have had to go to the DOH website to look at it back then) but now it's more in your face.

• Theory 1: The heath department is secretly owned by the restaurant supply companies, and hence see the mouse poop as competition to be eliminated.

• mouse poop is the secret ingredient in Carneviento.

• It has made me happy seeing so many hole in the wall joints getting As...reassuring that if I succumb to 2am Chinese that I won't die from food poisoning (excessive oil consumption aside).

But - I'm also a fan of both Lot2 and Korzo and don't love the idea of the Cs.

This article was at least somewhat reassuring - http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/29/dining/29inspector.html

Toby's got 0 violation points. Nom.

• haha Toadette. I like that link. I wonder about my kitchen also. I also wonder about what these inspections mean? If you got below a "b" does that mean that a person could get sick eating there? I just wonder since I love to eat out and having just started my new job, don't have a whole lot of sick time.

• The letter grades for my two fav's weren't posted, but I was going to invite a friend who I had been borrowing from whilst unemployed to dinner. She suggested I look them up because the place she had been frequenting that had made her ill turned out to have a ton of violations.

• Uhh. OK. Firstly, mice aren't everywhere. I don't have mice. Sometimes it has to do with your building, sometimes, it's the way you live. Which, whomever suffers from? -- is a question only you can answer.

Secondly, you can't take the numbers or the letters for face value. Maybe an A can be took as such, but any others not. A single violation can account for half of a restaurants total score, and a half-dozen for the other 50%. Different violations of the health code have different numerical values. Something like a sink installed without proper drainage, or an insufficient maximum temperature from the water source, can account for singular, large violations. So make of it what you will.

That said, not all types of violations have direct and immediate effect on cleanliness and quality of a kitchen or its food, especially if it's prepared in a conscientious kitchen.

Anyway, I'll still eat at Lot 2.

• "Uhh. OK. Firstly, mice aren't everywhere. I don't have mice. Sometimes it has to do with your building, sometimes, it's the way you live. Which, whomever suffers from? -- is a question only you can answer.

Secondly, you can't take the numbers or the letters for face value. Maybe an A can be took as such, but any others not. A single violation can account for half of a restaurants total score, and a half-dozen for the other 50%. Different violations of the health code have different numerical values. Something like a sink installed without proper drainage, or an insufficient maximum temperature from the water source, can account for singular, large violations. So make of it what you will.

That said, not all types of violations have direct and immediate effect on cleanliness and quality of a kitchen or its food, especially if it's prepared in a conscientious kitchen.

Anyway, I'll still eat at Lot 2. "

I may go back too. My good friend who I did bring to Lot 2 a long time ago liked it there but patently refuses to go anywhere without an "a rating". She got really sick at her neighborhood tapas bar (she lives in North Brooklyn) and she ended up in the hospital now she is phobic and of course has gotten me to wondering about these health ratings too.

I probably won't go to a place with mice, though knowing that when I had them back when I was living in Kensington, they chew through almost every food container except metal, so I guarantee that any box of cereal, bag of flour, bag of sugar or any other chewable food container has probably been adulterated by those suckers. I know cause I saw that myself and wound up keeping everything in the fridge and scanning every real estate paper in a desperate attempt to move as fast as possible.

• i would take the ratings a grain of salt for a B rated one anyway. they should come at a busy time of the restaurant and a not busy time. if anyone has work in the industry will know there is a huge difference in cleanliness between the two times. if a place is unlucky enough when they come in a busy time, they could get a b or something. but i wont go to a c to eat. b is okay in my book.

• Regarding mice, restaurants are required to keep their food stuffs in non-chewable food containers, so what you really want to look for with any violations related to vermin are vermin coupled with improper food storage.

Even with that however, its difficult to get behind what some of the actual issues are. As the Times article points out most of what people do in their homes would result in violations being assessed. For example, raw meat in the same fridge as vegetables is a violation. Not having a food thermometer is a violation. Not having a separate handwashing sink is a violation. Not having liquid soap at the handwashing sink is a violation. The list goes on and on.

• Most restaurants in Sunset Park are dirty and nasty, and though I live in this neighborhood, I never eat out in it. You are better off choosing among the many restaurants in Park Slope.

• Most restaurants in Sunset Park are dirty and nasty, and though I live in this neighborhood, I never eat out in it. You are better off choosing among the many restaurants in Park Slope.

You are right. I _ALWAYS_ dine in Park Slope.

• George's on 57th and 5th is OK. I don't eat in Sunset Park, I go to Bay Ridge or Park Slope most of the time. The places here are too nasty.

• In NY you are only as pest free as your neighbors I think. Lot 2 owns southside as well and they got an A. Maybe it's the buildings fault? I have had apartments that were a constant battle for bugs even though I am a neat person.

Still love Lot 2.

• I may or may not have read that the health department recommends not eating somewhere that has below a B rating (so only eat at As and Bs).

This discussion has been closed.