New to Ocean/Courtelyou area - any advice? — Brooklynian

New to Ocean/Courtelyou area - any advice?

I moved recently from CA and settled here near Ocean Ave and Courtelyou, so I'm looking for the best of...well everything really. Food, bars, housewares, internet service, car service/taxi, laundrymats, etc. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Welcome to the neighborhood, i live in the area and like it a lot. What I love about the area is the greenmarket on sundays on Courtelyou road in front of the public school. There are several supermakets on courtelyou. Some more fancy and more expensive than others, check them out and see what you can afford. I tend to do FreshDirect, it has more selection and is more convenient than any supermarket in the area. Especially if you don't own a car.

For car service, Church Ave car service is very reliable.

Many restaurants have opened up on Courtelyou recently, I have been to the Picket Fence and Mimi's Hummus and both are great.

• Hey welcome to the hood.

Lots of great places to eat out and hear music on Cortelyou. For cheaper eats, I like Cafe Tibet and Mimi's Hummus (really fresh-tasting and bright flavors at Mimi's). Cinco de Mayo has good chilaquiles.

For higher-end eating out, Purple Yam is awesome, Filipino Pan-Asian food (** full disclosure: I do some promo work for Purple Yam **). Their chicken adobo is excellent, and their desserts are particularly good -- all the ice creams are made there. The Farm is also a lovely venue for a nicer meal out, good brunch.

Castello Plan is a good date night place, wine bar. It's a little pricey but very good quality wines and Justin the bartender lets you taste different wines to find what you like.

There's a lot of local music. Apparently a lot of musicians live in West Flatbush. So Sycamore has bands coming through regularly, Solo has jazz some nights, Castello Plan sometimes has music too.

Other stuff.... I like the little Mexican bakery near Coney Island Avenue, on the south side of the street. I forget the name, but when you go in there are trays and trays of stacked Mexican pastries. Fun.

We have a local Russian bathhouse on Coney Island Avenue -- http://brooklynbanya.com/ . It's really nothing glamorous, but I appreciate having one so close, especially during cold weather.

If you have a pet, "It's a Dog's World" on Coney Island Avenue, just south of Beverly, carries quality pet food and will deliver.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

• Basically, ignore the above posts. Jackwads hyping the neighborhood they sunk their cash into and are stuck hyperventilating over anything remotely hopeful entering into the neighborhood. Screw them and their demon-spawn. Be strong and regurgitate realness.

Bottom line:

1. All the hyped restaurants in the neighborhood are fairly sub-par. It's a disease of residency to pump whatever opens in your immediate area as the next coming of the dumpling Christ. Fuck it, nail it to a cross and kill it again when it shows up 3 days later. Do it.

2. Bars. So sad. Solo on Cortelyou doesn't even have a tap. Sycamore is packed with douche-bearded, hip-tards who have self-evidently graduated from Williamsburg to "teh srs lifstil". Fuck that and the thick framed glasses their face rode in on. Oxtail... don't even. Drink at home and yell out your window. If that fails, try 773 Lounge on Coney btw Cortelyou and Dorchester. It has old people. Super-plus.

3. Internet service. Welcome to NYC, you have like.... 1 choice.

4. Taxi. I've used Marlboro Car Service on Newkirk and they've been fairly reliable in keeping me on time for dreaded flights to various points of Hell.

5. The music scene is a self-masturbatory jerk-fest of homogeneous shit you'd leave an elevator to avoid hearing. Unless you're a groovy douche, then you're set for life, yo.

• Thanks to everyone so far...yes, even you, daveb. I look forward to more input as I want to really dig into the neighborhood since I'm here for a year - yay lease!

Definitely going to check out a lot of the places, especially the music, because as much as I like screaming out my window while drunk I would much rather scream directly at hipsters while drunk. More interactive. I have been pondering the 773 specifically because of the old people. Old drunks are fun. As long as none of these places are full of shiny-skinned men in blazers I think I can find some entertainment in them.

And really, if we want the hood to improve we have to go out and stir it up, right? It's not going to get more interesting if we all stay home and whine about how it's not what we want. The market is consumer-driven, so the consumers have to get out and tell them what to do.

• Booo. Home-whining FTW!

• Welcome to Brooklyn! Where in Cali are you from?

On a positive note, no matter where you live it's never far from a subway line that will take you somewhere awesome. Go out there and "stir it up!"

• Thanks Mamacita!

I'm just moved from San Francisco (the actual city, not a suburb). I am by the B/Q but they're making life hard on the weekends lately...only 1 weekend to go and my trip into Manhattan for work/school/play will go back to 45 minutes instead of an hour. Good thing Cali prepared me for long commutes.

• On a negative note... "stir it up"? =DB

• I LOVE San Francisco! Oh man, you are going to miss the good Mexican and Indian food from there. Drop me a line if you want and I can steer ya to some good places in Brooklyn to grab some good grub.

• Yes...I have not found any good Mexican food here yet (haven't tried the Indian). I miss my weekly burritos!

• daveb said:

Basically, ignore the above posts. Jackwads hyping the neighborhood they sunk their cash into and are stuck hyperventilating over anything remotely hopeful entering into the neighborhood. Screw them and their demon-spawn. Be strong and regurgitate realness.

Bottom line:

1. All the hyped restaurants in the neighborhood are fairly sub-par. It's a disease of residency to pump whatever opens in your immediate area as the next coming of the dumpling Christ. Fuck it, nail it to a cross and kill it again when it shows up 3 days later. Do it.

2. Bars. So sad. Solo on Cortelyou doesn't even have a tap. Sycamore is packed with douche-bearded, hip-tards who have self-evidently graduated from Williamsburg to "teh srs lifstil". Fuck that and the thick framed glasses their face rode in on. Oxtail... don't even. Drink at home and yell out your window. If that fails, try 773 Lounge on Coney btw Cortelyou and Dorchester. It has old people. Super-plus.

3. Internet service. Welcome to NYC, you have like.... 1 choice.

4. Taxi. I've used Marlboro Car Service on Newkirk and they've been fairly reliable in keeping me on time for dreaded flights to various points of Hell.

5. The music scene is a self-masturbatory jerk-fest of homogeneous shit you'd leave an elevator to avoid hearing. Unless you're a groovy douche, then you're set for life, yo.

This has to be by far the funniest thing I've read in weeks! =DB

• This is a good neighborhood. and while I'm not Mexican I've heard good things about the mexican restaurants in the area. Los Mariachis is a little pricey and touristy, but on a saturday when their mariachi band is in its a good place to take visiting relatives. and their food and drink is good.

I prefer Cinqo de Mayo, a little cheaper and smaller but the food is better.

• "regurgitate realness", my a$$.. If you don't like SOMETHING here then why are you here?

• "regurgitate realness", my a$$.. If you don't like SOMETHING here then why are you here?

Judging from your avatar, you regurgitate quite a bit out of your ass.

I live in Ditmas Park. I own here and enjoy it. I like what I like and I do what I do. Welcome to the internetz. We can haz opinions.

• I've lived in the neighborhood for 20+ years as well, but I don't own here. One should never judge from an Avatar, I understand that all have opinions.. I didn't agree with yours at all. So it goes.

This discussion has been closed.